PDA

View Full Version : Awesome BMW Airheads

Voltaire
30th August 2012, 10:35
Really enjoying the BMW R65....daily riding, weekend thrashing, shopping with its enormous panniers, filling up with petrol every 360 kms plus.....
Parts are cheapish and plentyful, they are fun to ride.....and so on.....
In fact I like them so much I have two runners and another being built up at the moment.
Probably not as much character as an Italian bike but if thats the price you pay for reliability so be it.

If only Guzzi ( the Chinese of the 70's) had been able to copy better.... :killingme:

blackdog
30th August 2012, 10:39
I'm thrashing a K75 rat that I got at the moment. Parts not as plentilful unfortunately but I reckon I'd have a hard time killing it.

Runs like a top, and grin factor with everyone wanting to check out the flash as chalkboard black with a brush paint job!

nudemetalz
30th August 2012, 10:41
If only Guzzi ( the Chinese of the 70's) had been able to copy better.... :killingme:

Oooiii !!!! :ar15:

Dadpole
30th August 2012, 11:16

Where is the Dodgy one when he is needed?

I know what you mean Volty. I am planning to unload my plastic mammoth and am seriously considering an airhead (but in the R80 - R100 range)
Now to pry money out of SWMBO...:sweatdrop

Oscar
30th August 2012, 11:27
I bought my baby (1985 R80g/s ) with 50,000km on it and didn't want to put too many k's on it. Problem is, I can't stay off it - it's too much fun to ride.

Now I'm looking for a rat R80 or R100 as an everyday ride...

martybabe
30th August 2012, 11:27
Good stuff, love my old horse. Where do you source these plentiful parts from please :yes:

Oscar
30th August 2012, 11:28
Good stuff, love my old horse. Where do you source these plentiful parts from please :yes:

Boxxerparts:

http://www.boxxerparts.de/en/index.php

They're very efficient and have a quick delivery (7 days from Germany last time) - also what with the Euro being fucked and all they'll be cheaper now..

nudemetalz
30th August 2012, 11:30
Pah,...gimme a R90S thanks...

Oscar
30th August 2012, 11:32

That's on my list, too.
I've missed a couple in NZ, now I'm looking elsewhere...

Voltaire
30th August 2012, 11:40
That's on my list, too.
I've missed a couple in NZ, now I'm looking elsewhere...

Hope you have lots of cash needed for what is a R90 with dellortos,second disc and a fairing with a clock.....:lol:
I know of two that sold recently....pretty much word or mouth unless you can be bothered with the endless tyre kicking questions on TM

martybabe
30th August 2012, 11:51
Boxxerparts:

http://www.boxxerparts.de/en/index.php

They're very efficient and have a quick delivery (7 days from Germany last time) - also what with the Euro being fucked and all they'll be cheaper now..

Superb, thank you, I'd best make a shopping list :yes:

Oscar
30th August 2012, 11:52
Hope you have lots of cash needed for what is a R90 with dellortos,second disc and a fairing with a clock.....:lol:
I know of two that sold recently....pretty much word or mouth unless you can be bothered with the endless tyre kicking questions on TM

I had one lined up by word of mouth and after saying I wanted it the bloody idjut sold it out from under me:facepalm:

Oscar
30th August 2012, 11:55
Superb, thank you, I'd best make a shopping list :yes:

I made enquiries at Motobins (in the UK) and Boxxerparts.
They were both priced about the same, but the krauts were far more efficient (no surprise there).

I also found these guys to be good:
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/ (not too much airhead stuff though).

Motu
30th August 2012, 12:06
I've had my R65 Mono 4 years now and I'm loving it. It's fulfilled it's one bike for all task perfectly - back to the '70's. Two seats/rear guards, 2 sets of wheels and tyres, 2 front guards, 2 sets of panniers, 3 exhaust systems, 2 screens and enough handle bars to build a fence with, this bike can be anything I want it to be. More lazy power would be nice, but I like working a 650 hard - more throttle, more revs, push, push, push, lazy is not fun.

Voltaire
30th August 2012, 13:04
I've had my R65 Mono 4 years now and I'm loving it. It's fulfilled it's one bike for all task perfectly - back to the '70's. Two seats/rear guards, 2 sets of wheels and tyres, 2 front guards, 2 sets of panniers, 3 exhaust systems, 2 screens and enough handle bars to build a fence with, this bike can be anything I want it to be. More lazy power would be nice, but I like working a 650 hard - more throttle, more revs, push, push, push, lazy is not fun.

So true, took mine on the SH 22/huntly loop on Sunday....great fun running it up past 7000 rpm thu the gears.....lots more fun than my mates Ducati 1000s I rode part of the way.
The more fun riding a slow bike fast rule....

Motu
30th August 2012, 17:49
I'm lifting my needles a notch on saturday - I'll do it while I'm frying an egg for breakfast, I should have it done before the toaster pops. Maybe some would find that not very satisfying, preferring to spend all morning removing fuel tanks, airboxes, cables and hoses. To me it's what playing around with a motorcycle is all about.

Max Headroom
30th August 2012, 19:19
I know of two that sold recently....pretty much word of mouth unless you can be bothered with the endless tyre kicking questions on TM

Mine doesn't even have the clock any more . . . :gob:

I rode a fairly standard R90/6 for several years (a few decades ago) and loved it, apart from the heavyish clutch, clunky gearbox and weak brakes (especially with a single disc!). A standard R90S shares the same clutch and gearbox, although a Buell or Harley owner would probably consider them quite acceptable . . . :innocent:

True, airheads don't have the intoxicating sound or sensations of an Italian V-twin, but despite that, they don't lack for performance and the handling is quite acceptable. They have a number of inherent strengths, and are very easy to get along with.

For anyone looking for a viable way to beat the high cost of motorcycle regos by getting a 40 year old bike, an older airhead makes a lot of sense. The challenge these days is trying to find anybody willing to part with one . . .

Edbear
30th August 2012, 19:34

My neighbour has an R100R i think. He was talking of selling it...