PDA

View Full Version : I HATES THEM I DOES......

Pixie
6th August 2005, 09:40
I used to enjoy riding a quiet road in the dark.With high beam on, the roadside marker posts and cats eyes would mark out the direction of the bends perfectly.
Now those worthless pricks at Transit (and probably with contributions from LTNZ and ACC )have ruined it by sticking those fucking useless yellow and black chevron corner markers through every corner.
The bloody things reflect so much light back that your eyes readjust to the light and the corner is swamped out by glare.Then,if you dip your lights, you still can't see anything.
Bloody dangerous I say.
I live on a state highway,and since they erected these things,I've noticed that most drivers are driving with their lights on low beam all the time.Great for when you come upon wandering stock.
I won't even get into the steel poles the these things are fastened to.Hit one of those and you're dead.
If I can find out who to write to to I going to write a letter,I am.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

zadok
6th August 2005, 09:48
Sounds like you have grounds to be agrieved. Good idea writing to the appropriate authority. Enuf complaints and they might just do something maybe.

Motu
6th August 2005, 10:06
Pisses me off too,this whole no responsibility thing pisses me off.As people bleat and moan about the smallest thing and take others to court for their ''lack'',out comes back up cover my arse tactics.People sue councils for an unmarked bend,roadworks etc,so they go way overboard.SH16 north of Auckland was a quiet backwater of a road,I've been riding it since the early 70s,now more and more are using it,Tranzit are pushing it as an alternative route north - and now every corner has huge yellow signs up.I just wish people would shut up,if you bleat and moan you will get a reaction - exhaust rules,licence restrictions,boi racerlaws...they will just slap regulation after regulation on us.

SPman
6th August 2005, 10:13
I agree! The last 2 or 3 trips south at night have been a barstard for going quick.
Lights on full - corner coming up and its like being in the glare of an oncoming rally car with full lights blazing!
The dip switch has never had such a workout before!

Odin
6th August 2005, 10:15
Pisses me off too,this whole no responsibility thing pisses me off.As people bleat and moan about the smallest thing and take others to court for their ''lack'',out comes back up cover my arse tactics...........

Hear hear. Lets sue McDonald for getting fat, lets sue the cigerret companies for getting lung cancer, lets sue the microwave onv company for killing my hamster when i tried to dry it in it after a bath. Lets not take any resposibility for our own life and use any of the gray matter we have been equipped with. lets put pool fensing up so we don't have to take resposibility for our kids either and we can let them roame around in other peoples gardens. We don't need any freedom, we can't handle it, we need to be ruled and guided like sheep. :weird: :weird: :weird: :mad:

Blat over

Ixion
6th August 2005, 10:17
Listen to Mr Motu. He's right. The constant regulation, signpost mania has really spoiled motorcycling . You young fellows have no idea how carefree biking was in the 60's. No signposts , no "you're an idiot do as we say" rules and regulations.

I don't care if there are no signs. I don't care if there are no cats eyes. I don't care if there are no roadside marker posts. I don't care if there are no centre or side barriers. I don't care if there is no seal. I don't care if the farmer uses the roadside for grazing.

Just stop messing about with the roads and let me ride them and drive them . The road is what the road is and it's my job to sort it out , not some stupid bureaucrat.

And everytime some prat bleats on about this that or the other a bureaucrat stick up another sign and another regulation.

I wish everybody would just shut up and stick to riding or driving. Those who can't cope with the roads (either bikes or cars) should stay off them. Especially wallys in campervans and horsefloats.

zadok
6th August 2005, 10:18
Hear hear. Lets sue McDonald for getting fat, lets sue the cigerret companies for getting lung cancer, lets sue the microwave onv company for killing my hamster when i tried to dry it in it after a bath. Lets not take any resposibility for our own life and use any of the gray matter we have been equipped with. lets put pool fensing up so we don't have to take resposibility for our kids either and we can let them roame around in other peoples gardens. We don't need any freedom, we can't handle it, we need to be ruled and guided like sheep. :weird: :weird: :weird: :mad:

Blat over
Here Here :clap: Legislation gone mad.

MSTRS
6th August 2005, 10:25
Oh, poor Transit. They are just trying to do their best for us all. The fact that we are not asked what we want doesn't enter into it. Some poor struggling bureaucrat has to justify his $60,000pa pittance, and you lot would see him put out of a job with your sensible logic. Have a heart, guys. :whistle:

WINJA
6th August 2005, 10:29
CAN YOU SMERE POOS ON IT TO CUT DOWN THE REFLECTIVITY

Motu
6th August 2005, 10:37
The fact that we are not asked what we want doesn't enter into it. :

But we DID ask - by way of complaining or sueing councils or Tranzit,by having accidents and finding someone or something to blame,that's how we asked,and they answered our prayers,in buckets!

MSTRS
6th August 2005, 10:38
But we DID ask - by way of complaining or sueing councils or Tranzit,by having accidents and finding someone or something to blame,that's how we asked,and they answered our prayers,in buckets!
Aaaah...the old 'subliminal ask' eh?

pritch
6th August 2005, 10:57
Some poor struggling bureaucrat has to justify his $60,000pa pittance, :whistle:

So, have they had a big pay cut lately then ? :-)

I remember when there were no cat's eyes, no reflective sticks, no luminous signs, no overhead lighting except right in town, and bugger-all white lines on the road either, which consequently only needed to be half as wide. All this took place under the benevolent (?) rule of Joseph Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

So when the 6 volt electrics on my AJS suddenly gave up the ghost, pitch black. Nothing! That was when I discovered that the eyes are actually an important part of the bodies ballance mechanism. A race then developed to see if I could apply the (fairly ineffective drum) brakes hard enough to stop before I fell over. Probably just as well the bike was only capable of 74mph flat out.

Ahhh "the good old days"... :drinkup:

MSTRS
6th August 2005, 11:05
I remember when there were no cat's eyes, no reflective sticks, no luminous signs, no overhead lighting except right in town, and bugger-all white lines on the road either, which consequently only needed to be half as wide.

Try the 'inner' ring road around Egmont at night to relive your youth.

So when the 6 volt electrics on my AJS suddenly gave up the ghost, pitch black. Nothing! That was when I discovered that the eyes are actually an important part of the bodies ballance mechanism. A race then developed to see if I could apply the (fairly ineffective drum) brakes hard enough to stop before I fell over. Probably just as well the bike was only capable of 74mph flat out.

This happened to me 2-up at 180kph when I flicked onto highbeam - blown fuse. Not fun on an unlit back road with no reflectors etc

Ixion
6th August 2005, 11:12
So, have they had a big pay cut lately then ? :-)

I remember when there were no cat's eyes, no reflective sticks, no luminous signs, no overhead lighting except right in town, and bugger-all white lines on the road either, which consequently only needed to be half as wide. All this took place under the benevolent (?) rule of Joseph Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

Ahhh "the good old days"... :drinkup:

I remember when it was like that, too.

And back then, because there was so little light pollution, if you had a good moon you could actually ride faster with lights off than with them on. Truck drivers used to turn their lights off on the back roads. Just maybe a glimmer from the little side lights. Pretty safe because there was very little likelihood of meeting anyone on a back road at night.

I did it quite a few times, really nice experience blatting through the moonlit night on a big single.

Even without a moon you could navigate reasonably well by starlight if the night was clear and you gave your eyes half an hour to adjust.

pritch
6th August 2005, 12:50
Try the 'inner' ring road around Egmont at night to relive your youth.

LOL I have enough trouble with that road in daylight.

There is a place where the road surface has been washed away the full width of the road with a sudden 100mm or so step down and then up. I have hit it twice at speed (from different directions) and I'm still not that well aquainted with the road that I'm sure where it is exactly.

It bottoms out the suspension and imparts a giant sized boot up the arse. Some people might actually enjoy it but I'm not that way inclined <g>.

Pixie
6th August 2005, 13:41
Pisses me off too,this whole no responsibility thing pisses me off.As people bleat and moan about the smallest thing and take others to court for their ''lack'',out comes back up cover my arse tactics.People sue councils for an unmarked bend,roadworks etc,so they go way overboard.SH16 north of Auckland was a quiet backwater of a road,I've been riding it since the early 70s,now more and more are using it,Tranzit are pushing it as an alternative route north - and now every corner has huge yellow signs up.I just wish people would shut up,if you bleat and moan you will get a reaction - exhaust rules,licence restrictions,boi racerlaws...they will just slap regulation after regulation on us.
16's the one I was refering to.I live on it :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Pixie
6th August 2005, 13:43

Blat over
Mmmmmm microwave hamster

mstriumph
6th August 2005, 13:55
thought i was the only one :o ..............can still do that in places around here ....eerie/great/moving
I remember when it was like that, too.

And back then, because there was so little light pollution, if you had a good moon you could actually ride faster with lights off than with them on. Truck drivers used to turn their lights off on the back roads. Just maybe a glimmer from the little side lights. Pretty safe because there was very little likelihood of meeting anyone on a back road at night.

I did it quite a few times, really nice experience blatting through the moonlit night on a big single.

Even without a moon you could navigate reasonably well by starlight if the night was clear and you gave your eyes half an hour to adjust.

SPman
6th August 2005, 18:30
It bottoms out the suspension and imparts a giant sized boot up the arse. Some people might actually enjoy it but I'm not that way inclined <g>.
Only a boot up the arse! Last time I hit that I couldnt stand up (or sit) (or lie down) for about half an hour.
Dont think the swelling has gone down yet - either that or Im naturally gifted . . :rofl:`
</g>

anhrefn
6th August 2005, 18:45
I wish everybody would just shut up and stick to riding or driving. Those who can't cope with the roads (either bikes or cars) should stay off them. Especially wallys in campervans and horsefloats.

I whole hartedly agree with that, I mean I know my night vision isnt too good so I dont do night riding on my bike (used to love it too just cant see the road to well no more). Its not the low light but the fact that the damn car lights keep stuffing up my eyes and the road glare is getting worse these days.

Hmmm metal poles? might have to get myself a cordless grinder, the ole scrap merchant should give a pretty dollar for them muahahahaha. Maybe if I pull enough of those dicky things out they might give up on them?!?

myvice
6th August 2005, 20:22
I'm in the same boat, cant see well enough at night to ride so I generally don’t.
On the odd occasion that I find myself out "past my bed time" it all goes well up to when some wanker with 50.000 watts of the front of his 4wd cant find the dip switch or I score an own goal thanks to transits road side mirrors!
Might have to get a white cane out of the front of my bike?