PDA

View Full Version : When practiced reactions don't help

p.dath
11th September 2012, 08:44
I had my first "moment" in ages the other day. I was going around a 2 lane road about on the inside lane in reasonably busy traffic when the car in the outside lane started moving into my lane. As I was going around the round about I had a small amount of lean on.

And I think because I've practiced emergency braking so much in a straight line, before I could even think, I "instinctively" did the wrong thing, and grabbed the front brake without even thinking. Some other part of the brain took over briefly.

I know I was "aware" of the bike standing up briefly, but to be honest, that didn't bother me. Before I grabbed the front brake the bike was nicely settled on the suspension, and everything was it it should be. And I mostly remember becoming aware of the suspension become unsettled as the nose dived, and a brief head shake happened, and the brain going uh-oh and letting the front brake go again. And all of this happened sub-consciously.

All of this happened quite quickly, and the braking caused me to ditch enough speed that I managed to avoid the car as it pulled in front of me.

You have to expect incidents happening when you ride on the road. So I don't feel the car moving into my lane was that interesting (means more that I didn't anticipate that well enough). I didn't feel in danger at the time.

What I do find interesting is the way the subconscious brain takes over. If you feel an immediate threat you just don't have time to let the cerebrum have a think about it. Something much lower has to take over, and in my case, I should have used the rear brake (maybe with a small amount of front brake to offset the lean in effect).

I don't really expect to have to do emergency braking in a corner very often. I was in a situation where I could not bring the bike upright or straighten up. But I have learnt now that is something I need to practice more.

Have you ever had an "instinctive" reaction taken over, something that happened without being thought about, that wasn't helpful?

Banditbandit
11th September 2012, 09:14
Have you ever had an "instinctive" reaction taken over, something that happened without being thought about, that wasn't helpful?

Yeah ... there was this chick once ... and I just happened to be holding that shotgun .. it was totally instinctive ... :Offtopic:

duckonin
11th September 2012, 09:22
Well you learn't a bit more then.:msn-wink: Practised reactions do help, when needed for the circumstances you practised for. think about it you are an intelligent person.:rolleyes:

The End
11th September 2012, 10:01
Survival Reaction number 7!

Survival reactions are automatic because they are an unconscious reaction. Case in point, we don't have to focus on blinking our eyes to protect them when something unexpected happens.

bogan
11th September 2012, 10:08

Just yesterday actually. Some silly bitch still hasn't learnt the new give way rules, so my instinctive reaction was to get on the horn. However this wasn't helpful because the horn didn't sound. I must go figure out why that was, cheers for the reminder.

FJRider
11th September 2012, 10:19
Just yesterday actually. Some silly bitch still hasn't learnt the new give way rules, so my instinctive reaction was to get on the horn. However this wasn't helpful because the horn didn't sound. I must go figure out why that was, cheers for the reminder.

She would probably know the new rules ... but was in a hurry and you were going too slow. And her needs were far more important than yours ...

So your vehicle was not up to WoF standard ... ???

bogan
11th September 2012, 10:41
She would probably know the new rules ... but was in a hurry and you were going too slow. And her needs were far more important than yours ...

Well she had a go at the SUV in front of me too. Plenty of time to let her go through, but then she wouldn't learn...

So your vehicle was not up to WoF standard ... ???

Well it was last week, so it'll be fine for the next 5 months and 3 weeks too, so says my sticker <_< I have a spider who likes to ride along in my switch gear, I call him Bob, it's probably his fault.

george formby
11th September 2012, 11:02
Done the wrong thing? Ohhhh yes. Locked the front, locked the back, dumped the clutch & took off straight across a T junction with the front wheel skyward, closed the throttle when I should have opened it, got out of bed, left my brain on the mantle piece.

I'm getting sick of myself saying it but I practice a range of things every time I ride the bike now, evasion, braking straight & curve, tight turns & 360's, counter counter steering etc wet or dry.

It pays too, had a moment awhile ago where I had to slow in a very wet corner. Did it before I thought about it, bike stayed on line, slowed quickly, no dramas. I would have been very tense doing that a year ago.:banana:

ducatilover
11th September 2012, 11:04
Well it was last week, so it'll be fine for the next 5 months and 3 weeks too, so says my sticker <_< I have a spider who likes to ride along in my switch gear, I call him Bob, it's probably his fault.

Cheeky wee beggar that Bob!

I've made a mistake before, I think? I could be wrong however

Tigadee
11th September 2012, 11:25
I have a spider who likes to ride along in my switch gear, I call him Bob, it's probably his fault.

Gotta watch out for arachnus switcherrous... Devil in disguise, he is...

baffa
11th September 2012, 11:39
The only bike accident Ive ever had was a result of "instinct".
Coming around a corner in takapuna, turning off the main road of Esmond road on a 45 degree free turn/give way corner, I go this way quite regularly, so I had been quite accustomed to doing it at 40+kph, letting the bike run from wide from the apex towards the outside, I saw a massive oil patch and instantly closed the throttle, and grabbed both brakes, not hard, but firmly.

Before I knew it, I went from a lean to instantly low siding, sliding along the road behind the bike. Because of the nice weather I was wearing jeans, so tore two holes in them scratching up my knees, and scratched up the bike and twisted the steering a little. Apart from a little superficial damage to me and my then current bike, a little VTR250, I was fine, but it taught me to be a little more gentle with brake and throttle inputs on a corner. Problem with a 250 is 9 times out of 10 they are so forgiving you become accustomed to being able to grab the front brake on a corner with no consequences.

I'm now ridiculously careful on that corner! Thinking about it, if I had done nothing but stood up the bike slightly, the front probably would have held, and the back would have whipped out slightly, giving me a scare but staying upright.

Maha
11th September 2012, 12:29
''Have you ever had an "instinctive" reaction taken over''?

Three times, effective on all occassions...and with a pillion adding extra weight.
(1) My Sprint almost mated with a VTR between Ohinewai and Morrinsville.
(2) South bound on Twin Bridges road, up a rise and instant right hander...We were heading for the gravel.
(3) Whale Bay?...hit some loose gravel (road works) followed by a front end wash, but instinct told me to let everything go (no brakes this time) and it worked, stayed upright but ran off the road into a side road.

BoristheBiter
11th September 2012, 12:39
Before I knew it, I went from a lean to instantly low siding, sliding along the road behind the bike. Because of the nice weather I was wearing jeans, so tore two holes in them scratching up my knees, and scratched up the bike and twisted the steering a little. Apart from a little superficial damage to me and my then current bike, a little VTR250, I was fine, but it taught me to be a little more gentle with brake and throttle inputs on a corner. Problem with a 250 is 9 times out of 10 they are so forgiving you become accustomed to being able to grab the front brake on a corner with no consequences.

But not ATGATT?

Hugo Nougo
11th September 2012, 13:10
I saved a front end slide with more throttle only to then high-side it and break a collar bone, should have taken the low-slide.

baffa
11th September 2012, 13:17
But not ATGATT?

It wasnt a big drop but it reinforced in my mind the value of good kit.
I put on all the gear to head to the servo 300m down the road as a matter of habit.

In saying that though, from time to time I might leave the gloves off or take the bike for a spin to warm it up before an oil change in just jeans etc, cos im slow like that. :dodge:

Road kill
12th September 2012, 20:14
I came around a corner on a wet day and spotted a BIG rainbow spread out all over the road.

I said "ah shit" an crashed.

That "ah shit" was pretty instinctive.:mellow:

Subike
12th September 2012, 21:15
Interesting this thread. Practice helps, making it an automatic response is good.
This morning I had an incident, almost.
Stationary at a set of lights, 5.30am, wet roads, light traffic.
Light changes to green, go to pull off, but braked immediately I took off as the ute coming from the right looked too fast.
It was only a glimpse in my prefial vision, but sum thing didn't look right, I stopped and sat the as the utes sailed across the intersection with its big floatation tires aquaplaning across a rather large puddle. The drivers face had the "OH FUCK SHI SHI SHIT " look on his face.
I could have been under that truck.
The practiced quick scan right left at lights every time, paid off this time. I find that creating habits of defensive riding over time has helped me more than once to avoid potential situations. It comes back to me as, every ride has the potential for and off, so every ride is total focus, and every ride is also an opportunity to practice defensive riding skills. Learn something new every day if you can. Take nothing for granted.