PDA

View Full Version : Throttle cables

hippie
12th September 2012, 17:23
OK this time im ready for the backlash. But i have a sticky pull throttle cable if that makes sense so the throttle doesnt throttle off without a little assistance makes it easy to ride the bike with no hands tho.
So i have got 2 second hand cables that are in good order and now i plan on swapping them over this weekend if the weather is crap otherwise ill be out riding. It all looks pretty straight forward take tank off replace cable adjust it so everything is snug again. Im just asking is there anything i should watch out for or any potential fuck ups i might make? Bike is a 250 hornet?
Cheers guys

The Lone Rider
12th September 2012, 17:27
Changing throttle cables is easy and straight forward as long as you route them the same way and make sure any throttle tensioners are loosened off before putting on the new cables.

Akzle
12th September 2012, 17:37
LLLLLLUUUUUUBBBBEEEEE!

bread bag and ziploc ties and oil. dab of grease at each end when she's done.

jellywrestler
12th September 2012, 18:11
best to give the 'new' cables a servicing before you fit them

FJRider
12th September 2012, 18:27
OK this time im ready for the backlash. But i have a sticky pull throttle cable if that makes sense so the throttle doesnt throttle off without a little assistance makes it easy to ride the bike with no hands tho.

Have a good look at why it's sticky in the first place .... Unless you know it is a cable frayed. The cable outer may be pinching somewhere and a lube and re-route of the cables may be all that's needed ...

The return spring may be the issue. Don't be in a big hurry to jump to conclusions ...

hippie
12th September 2012, 18:34
Have a good look at why it's sticky in the first place .... Unless you know it is a cable frayed. The cable outer may be pinching somewhere and a lube and re-route of the cables may be all that's needed ...

The return spring may be the issue. Don't be in a big hurry to jump to conclusions ...

Yea i dont know how to explain it but basically its pinched like the cable has been bent in half and the spiral coil is squashed tried to squeeze it back with pliers but no luck its broken the water tighness of it so i imagine its rusty in there aswell.

hippie
12th September 2012, 21:05
What type of lube/ oil would you reccomend?

James Deuce
12th September 2012, 21:14
Chain lube works. So does 3in1 oil.

Sable
13th September 2012, 14:50
I'll do it for a box of beer

Akzle
13th September 2012, 17:24
What type of lube/ oil would you reccomend?
oily stuff. anything from 20w40 to 80w90. obviously the viscositier it is the longer it will take.

I'll do it for a box of beer
i'll have a box of beer.

Chain lube works. So does 3in1 oil.
good luck getting chain lube down the cable. :killingme:
and 3n1 wont stick.
( i think you meant to use comic sans?)

High Lord
13th September 2012, 17:46
just bought a cable luber today for 25 bucks, well worth it I'll be using it probably till my arms fall off and i cant ride anymore , the dude reckoned WD40 is the way.

Akzle
13th September 2012, 19:08
just bought a cable luber today for 25 bucks, well worth it I'll be using it probably till my arms fall off and i cant ride anymore , the dude reckoned WD40 is the way.

i don't like that "the dude"

i use WD40 for cleaning road grime off my bike. and fuckall else.

hippie
13th September 2012, 21:34
SO basically get some oil soak cables in over night then clean off excess and should be ready to go?

James Deuce
13th September 2012, 21:35
SO basically get some oil soak cables in over night then clean off excess and should be ready to go?
No. Buy a cable lubing tool (about $12) and read the instructions.

hippie
13th September 2012, 21:45
No. Buy a cable lubing tool (about $12) and read the instructions.

Looks easy as now next question anybody know a place in wellington that may have these off the shelf?

High Lord
13th September 2012, 22:09
well i got mine from welly harley, ..$25 ..
so as these cable things seem to rely on pressurized cans of something to work, i think, what should I spray in there?

James Deuce
14th September 2012, 10:46
$10 off trademe.

There is a whole bunch of lube options.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchType=all&searchString=cable+lube&rptpath=all&type=Search&generalSearch_keypresses=10&generalSearch_suggested=0

High Lord
14th September 2012, 19:43
10 bucks.. fek.. oh well..

hippie
26th September 2012, 23:08
OK guys i have run into one little slight problem. After realizing its not just a wip off the tank and swap shit over. The problem i have is i have 1 spring left over its roughly 10mm round and 15-20mm long .
After i pulled off the carb where the throttle cables sit in between i found the spring lying right next to the knob where you adjust idle.
Now i have looked everywhere but cant seem to see where it may have come from possibly something to do with the choke bar that runs across the top of the carbs?
its a bit of a mystery as i cannot see what use it would have i have replaced the cables and everything seems to be working properly on further inspection of the cables that were on the bike the one that was crimped was actually frayed inside aswell so lucky i guess that im replacing it.
Im hoping somebody out there can help as im still having a problem tracking down a manual for the bike.

On a side note is it usual to have wat looks like a thin film of oil sporadically around the air filter casing on the inside? and also around where the intake goes onto the carbs on what i will call cylinders 3-4 on the gear shifter side of the bike?

Thanks guys

hippie
27th September 2012, 20:58
alright found where the spring goes between the carb and the throttle pully so thats all good but on the downside i have fucked the aluminium fuel pipe between the carbs with the o-rings on each end anybody know of a place in wellington that might have these on the shelf or will it be more of an order it in type deal?

imdying
28th September 2012, 08:26
From your Honda dealer. But TBH it would be faster to go to Engineer Plastics and get some o-rings, and then get anyone you know with a lathe to make another pipe. That you could do in a day, Honda, they'd take a month and want a million dollars. Assuming they sold them separately, or at all.

hippie
28th September 2012, 12:57
From your Honda dealer. But TBH it would be faster to go to Engineer Plastics and get some o-rings, and then get anyone you know with a lathe to make another pipe. That you could do in a day, Honda, they'd take a month and want a million dollars. Assuming they sold them separately, or at all.

you seem to be right dont know if they sell them at all still waiting to hear back and will be at least 10-14 days so anybody know anybody who coud help out in the wellington area. This bites 2 weeks and no riding makes me think i should have 2 bikes so i can work on one play on the other.

jellywrestler
28th September 2012, 13:14
alright found where the spring goes between the carb and the throttle pully so thats all good but on the downside i have fucked the aluminium fuel pipe between the carbs with the o-rings on each end anybody know of a place in wellington that might have these on the shelf or will it be more of an order it in type deal?

what about a photo?

hippie
28th September 2012, 13:38
what about a photo?

is this what you mean?

imdying
28th September 2012, 13:51
Yeah, seen those suckers before :yes: Piece of cake to make though, so that's something :)

hippie
28th September 2012, 13:53
Yeah, seen those suckers before :yes: Piece of cake to make though, so that's something :)

So any takers on somebody making me one?