PDA

View Full Version : Northland knowledge required

dogsnbikes
13th September 2012, 20:47
Well its time again to head norf but need your knowledge of the local area

Can you tell me if the following roads are sealed from Dargiville to Kaiwaka,Inch road,Oparakau road,Mountain Road,

or if there is another route worth looking at??

We will be heading south via Twin bridges and north via Mangawhai road,Mangawhai heads,Cove road onto Waipu. We like to Avoid main roads where at all possible

Thanks in Advance...

Laava
13th September 2012, 22:07
No shortage of good roads but not sure exactly what to tell you. Dargas to kaiwaka, i would go SH14 towards whangarei, right onto weke rd,right onto snooks rd, right onto old schoolrd, right to maungakaramea then turn left towards and then thru tauraroa then left towards mangapai turning right onto the legendary oakleigh/paparoa rd. left at paparoa and then out to SH1
Also available is the murray rd from pakotai to tangowahine
Enjoy

dogsnbikes
13th September 2012, 22:22
Top Marks Laava That looks like a great and our kind of roads Thanks:yes:

yod
13th September 2012, 22:32
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :Punk:

dogsnbikes
13th September 2012, 22:35
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :Punk:

Pity we cant avoid Auckland Yod maybe hazzard lights and a Yellow vest is required :facepalm:

But I do have a susprise for you all In Auckland..

Laava
13th September 2012, 22:39
Pity we cant avoid auckland..
I believe they are gonna build an aucklnd bypass bridge from whangaparaoa to coro

swbarnett
13th September 2012, 23:05
Mountain rd. is unsealed.

Maha
14th September 2012, 06:56
Well its time again to head norf but need your knowledge of the local area

Can you tell me if the following roads are sealed from Dargiville to Kaiwaka,Inch road,Oparakau road,Mountain Road,

or if there is another route worth looking at??

We will be heading south via Twin bridges and north via Mangawhai road,Mangawhai heads,Cove road onto Waipu. We like to Avoid main roads where at all possible

Thanks in Advance...

I stumbled upon a road a few months ago Barry that is really worth the time.
Kaihohe to Dargaville...(Murray Road) runs off Mangakahia (Twin Bridges) road..
If it suits your time time table, then the suggestion is, use it.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?saddr=Kaikohe,+Northland&daddr=Dargaville,+Northland&hl=en&ll=-35.706377,173.884735&spn=0.878724,2.113495&sll=-35.711815,174.287782&sspn=0.219667,0.528374&geocode=Faa64_0dlglcCikT7jdutekLbTHg0KJDYe8ABQ%3BF d-Y2_0dVwhdCik_xmFipHIMbTEgv6JDYe8ABQ&oq=Dargaville&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

dogsnbikes
14th September 2012, 07:37
I stumbled upon a road a few months ago Barry that is really worth the time.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?saddr=Kaikohe,+Northland&daddr=Dargaville,+Northland&hl=en&ll=-35.706377,173.884735&spn=0.878724,2.113495&sll=-35.711815,174.287782&sspn=0.219667,0.528374&geocode=Faa64_0dlglcCikT7jdutekLbTHg0KJDYe8ABQ%3BF d-Y2_0dVwhdCik_xmFipHIMbTEgv6JDYe8ABQ&oq=Dargaville&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

Already have that as part of our trip Mark,Has been over 20 years since I did Murray road so guess it may have change a wee bit or maybe not...

Maha
14th September 2012, 07:42
Already have that as part of our trip Mark,Has been over 20 years since I did Murray road so guess it may have change a wee bit or maybe not...

Twisty and the top end through the trees (would have just been planted 20 years ago) ending up with nice/quick sweepers.
Theres is a 50K sign post in the middle of nowhere...take heed, theres a quite a drop in the road just ahead, bum leaves seat kinda drop..:shifty:

Laava
14th September 2012, 07:48
Also some good riding to pataua north and across mt tiger if you are looking to burn off some of that spare fuel. When you doing it and how far north are you going?

dogsnbikes
14th September 2012, 07:50
theres a quite a drop in the road just ahead, bum leaves seat kinda drop..:shifty:

:Punk: Oh by the way we will be in the area Saturday/Sunday labour weekend if you feel the need to join us.Oh did I mention Cowboyz will also be trying to find us :confused:

Laava
14th September 2012, 07:52
, bum leaves seat kinda drop..:shifty:

Ther is an exeptional one of these in the road that goes back towards the hills beside ruakaka primary school SH1. Is about one km up the road over some gravel before going hard left onto newish seal. Give it a big handfull and you will prolapse your botty at the bottom of the dip. It will put a smile on your face I promise!

dogsnbikes
14th September 2012, 07:53
Spending Saturday night in Houhora Laava and tend to visit the cape,its a bi annual ride we always do..

george formby
14th September 2012, 10:27
If yer planning on coming through the Bay pop in & say hello:scooter:

dogsnbikes
14th September 2012, 10:47
If yer planning on coming through the Bay pop in & say hello:scooter:

We are planning too pass through most likely Saturday,Will know closer to the time and its been 16 years since I have been through the bay

But more importantly where will we find you??

Laava
14th September 2012, 10:57

Behind the sandwich press!

george formby
14th September 2012, 11:48
We are planning too pass through most likely Saturday,Will know closer to the time and its been 16 years since I have been through the bay

Boots Off on Kings Road, there is a super liquor on the corner. Heading south it's the last street on the right before the road leaves the beach.

Behind the sandwich press!

For my sins....... I have managed to turn a wheel since you popped in, restored a bit of sanity!

Laava
14th September 2012, 11:53
You prob need a bit more of that then, being a northener and all!

george formby
14th September 2012, 12:04
You prob need a bit more of that then, being a northener and all!

Speaking of which, how's your tatties?:blink:

Maha
14th September 2012, 12:06

Its a 'must do'...get 'em to cook you something with ham and and cheese....not fogetting those cookies :drool:

Laava
14th September 2012, 12:13
Speaking of which, how's your tatties?:blink:

Oh they are dug in good and tight with some dead animal remnants to give them some nourishment.
Similar to what we did with those potatoes!

dogsnbikes
14th September 2012, 19:21
Boots Off on Kings Road, there is a super liquor on the corner. Heading south it's the last street on the right before the road leaves the beach.

Know where it is Thanks

reggie1198
15th September 2012, 22:39
[QUOTE=Maha;1130397123]I stumbled upon a road a few months ago Barry that is really worth the time.

Just a quick warning regarding the Murray's road/twin bridges.
Went through this about a week ago to see the folks in Dargaville, some really nasty pot holes on the tight corners after the twin bridges, it was a dry day but because of the trees I had the traction control On the bike kick in quite a few times, and I was taking it easy.
The dip in the road is about 2 km after a curved single lane bridge heading north or 2 km after the two single lane bridges (in 200m straight road with a bend after the second bridge) heading south.
If heading south SLOW down for the dip, it is far kin narly.

Wouldn't mind a spin if the invite was there......?

Still a really nice road to cruise down though

Reggie

dogsnbikes
16th September 2012, 07:37
Wouldn't mind a spin if the invite was there......?

Still a really nice road to cruise down though

Reggie

Hi Reggie No problems with local guides,will pm you closer to the time where and when ,we are heading south the Sunday of Labour weekend

reggie1198
16th September 2012, 10:28
cool, should be free that weekend

Meanie
18th September 2012, 16:25
Just a month to go

banditrider
18th September 2012, 18:01
Just a month to go

'til what? :devil2:

dogsnbikes
18th September 2012, 18:07
'til what? :devil2:

Till he has a day off:killingme

Meanie
18th September 2012, 18:59
Guess I should apply for leave then

reggie1198
13th October 2012, 19:27
One week to go, new rear tyre going this week, it may have contributed to the TC coming on during the last ride out.

george formby
14th October 2012, 09:19
One week to go, new rear tyre going this week, it may have contributed to the TC coming on during the last ride out.

Was that you I saw extending the life of your front tire leaving the Z station in Paihia a few weeks ago?

liljegren
14th October 2012, 20:35
Just twigged that you are Sean from the Marina Office, ha ha!! Hi from Dubai, glad to hear the Italian beast still lives, in spite of your best efforts. :baby:

reggie1198
14th October 2012, 21:36
Just twigged that you are Sean from the Marina Office, ha ha!! Hi from Dubai, glad to hear the Italian beast still lives, in spite of your best efforts. :baby:

Holly crap, Matt is that you?
How the hell are you, hope Dubai is treating you well. Yes the beast still lives, Mark is talking about getting the new Husky Nuda 900.

George, it may have been me, my front tyre was filled with helium recently and is very light now, officer.:-)

liljegren
14th October 2012, 23:35
Yup, its the short cunt from the boatyard! Life in Dubai is challenging, been too hot for biking for 6 months, but I bought an '07 Tuono just for playing around with! Getting the bike sorted, crap Pommy owner left a few things undone so to speak. Had first good ride two weeks ago, over the mountains to the East coast, Indian Ocean dont ya know. Wicked new roads no traffic on Fridays, cos the locals are all busy talking to their imaginary friend! Bike scene largely peopled by posers on Harleys, but they are enjoying life too I guess.
Work is very different, supervising an array of cheap slaves from the Indian sub continent and beyond. Thankfully the A/C works well! Boat is creeping towards completion, 45' fast cruiser.
Say hi to Chris and the Red Terror for me.