PDA

View Full Version : New to the site (Hobbyhorse)

Hobbyhorse
14th September 2012, 20:49
I guess I fit in the delinquent pensioner class having now reached the giddy age of 71 years .

I have recently purchased a 2008 Yamaha XVS650A and am enjoying the challenge after my 1988 XV400 Yamaha Virago. Things have changed since I gained my full motorbike licence in 1957, as have the bikes themselves. My first bike was a 1942 Indian Scout, 750cc V twin which I was very proud of. There have been 10 others in the line up before my current bike and I still feel I do not really know enough about it to be really safe on the road. I had a BMW R100RS in Europe for a number of years and put up big miles touring there which was great fun and I now want to just enjoy the sunny days on my new bike and keep out of trouble. We are blessed in Auckland with so many nice riding areas,
great scenery and lots of good coffee stops.

Cheers,

Rhys

onearmedbandit
14th September 2012, 21:16
Started on a 750? Asking for trouble there...

Just kidding, welcome to the site.

dino3310
14th September 2012, 21:19
Welcome Rhys and good on ya mate:niceone:

unstuck
15th September 2012, 07:53
Welcome aboard.:niceone:

Maha
15th September 2012, 08:20
Welcome Rhys...
I'd like to think I will still be a bike owner in 21 years time.

caseye
15th September 2012, 08:38
Wot he ( Maha ) said! and welcome along to the mad house. KB is a bloody great place most of the time.
If you see an old XV Thou in flames heading towards you, don't panic it'll just be me aboard the ol coal burner.
I usually wave to so you'd better brush up on the KB wave.

Blackbird
15th September 2012, 10:33
Hi Rhys and welcome from across the Firth of Thames in Coromandel :niceone:

Hope I'm still riding in my 70's - I start to draw the Govt superannuation next month <_<. I owned a K100RS for several years and it was a bloody good bike. Currently riding something a bit lighter and lower as a concession to a stuffed knee!

Safe riding,

Geoff

sootie
15th September 2012, 11:25
I guess I fit in the delinquent pensioner class having now reached the giddy age of 71 years .

I have recently purchased a 2008 Yamaha XVS650A and am enjoying the challenge after my 1988 XV400 Yamaha Virago. Things have changed since I gained my full motorbike licence in 1957, as have the bikes themselves. My first bike was a 1942 Indian Scout, 750cc V twin which I was very proud of. There have been 10 others in the line up before my current bike and I still feel I do not really know enough about it to be really safe on the road. I had a BMW R100RS in Europe for a number of years and put up big miles touring there which was great fun and I now want to just enjoy the sunny days on my new bike and keep out of trouble. We are blessed in Auckland with so many nice riding areas,
great scenery and lots of good coffee stops.

Cheers,

Rhys

Hi Rhys,
Welcome to the site. You have a year or two on me, but I joined the Gold Card brigade more than a year ago, and often ride with several others around our vintage. My bike is not regoed this month, but it will be in October; as like you, I prefer to ride in the sun!

There is a small group of us who ride together on a Tuesday, and by the way, we are also in to coffee shops, scenery around Auckland & riding safe! Maybe you could let me know if this might be of any interest to you, and feel free to have a nosy through my albums.

Hope to hear from you ... sootie :niceone:

PS: I think I obtained my full motorcycle licence in 1966 & I have been riding nearly continuously ever since.

Hobbyhorse
15th September 2012, 15:14
Thanks for the welcome all ... much appreciated.

Rhys

FJRider
15th September 2012, 15:15
Welcome to the site. Coming to the mainland anytime soon ... ???