PDA

View Full Version : Trail Tech computers?

Waipukbiker
15th September 2012, 21:35
Trail tech vapor verses vector, Any comments please from experiance re which is the better unit and why.

looking at fitting one to a Dr650

Cheers

Padmei
15th September 2012, 21:47
I got the vapour cos it has more crap on it. It works as it should apart from the temp gauge is out & there are often intermittent tach probs with them.
In this day & age I am really surprised there aren't more cheaper units than these. I would really love to find an electronic small round one that doesn't cost a fortune (ie around $100). Look at pushie bike speedos, heart rate monitors, etc etc there's no reason a moto speedo should be so expensive.
Hope this helps

Waipukbiker
15th September 2012, 21:55
Cheers for that, Need to decide yet if I really need one but always good to hear from others who who have them.

timmehpwr
15th September 2012, 22:34
have a vapor on my drz400e and works great no issues at all, except making me realise just how high it is revving at 100kph with offroad gearing :eek:

bought the dashboard too which makes for a very tidy install, highly recommend:-)

Box'a'bits
15th September 2012, 22:35
Got one on Gus. Temp gauge is about 5 degree optimist. Aside from that, does what it should. Tach reads well (Ive got it plumbed off the coil rather than the sparkplug). I also sprung for the dashlights.

Woodman
15th September 2012, 22:59
Had a vapor on the klr for a few years now and its good.

Very easy to install.Very reliable.

I have the shift light set to flash at just over 100kph in top gear to stop speed creep.

Interesting ish to analyse stuff after a ride.

Prefer old school analog tachos and speedos than digital.

Pain in the ass resetting to zero when using a rollchart, but can be incrementally adjusted up or down to compensate for inaccuracies, although not that easy to do on the fly on rough terrain.

Thumbs up from me.

Waipukbiker
16th September 2012, 05:14
Thanks for the info, Has anyone used Procycle for parts? They list the vapour kit plus the dashboard for $165.90, the cheapest I can find in NZ so far is both for approx $330.00 Dunno what the exchange rate and freight would be but has to work out a lot cheaper but concerned about reliability from overseas as I have never done that before.

Cheers

JATZ
16th September 2012, 07:08
There was an outfit selling the vapours on trademe for about $220 might even have been a bit less. Procycle are good to deal with,reasonable freight and pretty quick too :yes: Just be aware of the $400 limit before duty/gst is charged

Padmei
16th September 2012, 07:13
There was an outfit selling the vapours on trademe for about $220 might even have been a bit less. Procycle are good to deal with,reasonable freight and pretty quick too :yes: Just be aware of the $400 limit before duty/gst is charged

Yeah check out trademe. mine was around $200ish

Box'a'bits
16th September 2012, 07:35
Xtreme Wholesale in Auckland. They sell via trademe. Good to deal with. They were selling cheaper than you could import for. If you can't find a listing let me know & I'll search through my receipts for contact details.

brp
16th September 2012, 09:36
Got a vapor landed for NZ$149 while ago off ebay - here within the week.

Waipukbiker
16th September 2012, 10:00
Thanks for all the info, Just checked Extreme wholesale website, their Vapour units are nearly $80 dearer than cycle treads.
Some suppliers need to check out their competition then they moan because people are buying direct from overseas.

NordieBoy
16th September 2012, 10:39
The engine temp on my vapor is accurate according to an infrared thermo but the air temp isn't.

I like the vapor for the thermo and the vector for the enduro bits.

Ideally, I'd get a Trailtech voyager, but $$$

Padmei
16th September 2012, 14:03
The engine temp on my vapor is accurate according to an infrared thermo but the air temp isn't.

I like the vapor for the thermo and the vector for the enduro bits.

Ideally, I'd get a Trailtech voyager, but $$$

Ideally I'd like a big busted girl running along beside me cheering but we have to make do.

Woodman
16th September 2012, 14:09
Ideally I'd like a big busted girl running along beside me cheering but we have to make do.

Like that bellarussian girl:eek5: that stole the gold medal off Valerie?

She is big and got busted.

Padmei
16th September 2012, 14:18

Get back into the workshop you slack bastard.

Waipukbiker
16th September 2012, 17:04
Well this is turning into a titilating conversation.

Eddieb
16th September 2012, 18:59
The Acewell ones don't look bad either

JATZ
16th September 2012, 19:02
Here y'are....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/electrics/auction-513907061.htm

Your welcome.

Waipukbiker
16th September 2012, 19:22
Cheers mate, Had a look on the Procycle site and its $165.90 for the vapour unit and the dashboard combined.
The dashboard on its own from Bits4Bikes is $108 I think so procycle is lookin pretty good even with the freight and the exchange rate.

ADVGD
18th September 2012, 11:52
Trail tech vapor verses vector, Any comments please from experiance re which is the better unit and why.Cheers

I am a self proclaimed TrailTech whore and have 4 TrailTech units on my bike, good range of quality products. I deal direct with TrailTech as their support is awesome. Their website freight is screwed up, they know this, email them and they'll sharpen it up to about a 1/3 the price the website indicates. I went for the Striker as every man and his bike riding dog has the Vapor.

Short sensor lead eh? Mine is forced to remain in the fairing and reads way off due to headlight heat, but I am not too concerned with using a sensor to determine air temp, I am happy to use visual temperature indicators such as the sun, hail stones and snow ;)

NordieBoy
18th September 2012, 14:24
Short sensor lead eh? Mine is forced to remain in the fairing and reads way off due to headlight heat, but I am not too concerned with using a sensor to determine air temp, I am happy to use visual temperature indicators such as the sun, hail stones and snow ;)

The air temp doesn't have a lead.
The heat of the unit & backlight stuffs it around.

On the DR (Acewell speedo without temp) I have a small JCar indoor/outdoor thermo on top of the right fork cap, and the pickup is mounted to the bottom of the headlight shell, out in the breeze.

TangoCharlie
3rd October 2012, 12:18
Just installed a Vapor on my DR650SE and keen to know what settings you use for High & Low Temp & Revs?????

brp
3rd October 2012, 19:11
Just installed a Vapor on my DR650SE and keen to know what settings you use for High & Low Temp & Revs?????

Yah donk should cut out at 9k , lot DR guys set red light to come on between 6 and 7k - id set ya yellow light for between 3 and 4k as a reminder to change gear and look after ya big piston -

I got vapor - going to see if mr google can find a graph when the optimum time is to shift (when more revving is pointless and shifting up better for optimum accleration)

When ya fitting the 725 cc kit ? :D

Padmei
3rd October 2012, 19:23
Can anyone actually see their shift lite? Maybe cos I have to look down at my speedo it doesn't catch my eye but it doesn't seem that bright.

And yes I have it set on 2500rpm so it does work every now & then smartarses:facepalm:

Woodman
3rd October 2012, 19:30
Can anyone actually see their shift lite? Maybe cos I have to look down at my speedo it doesn't catch my eye but it doesn't seem that bright.

And yes I have it set on 2500rpm so it does work every now & then smartarses:facepalm:

Very rarely see my lights flashing.

Setting the DR at 3-4k will mean it will flash at about 80km/hr and drive you nuts. Mine is set so it flashes at 110ishkm/hr as a sort of speed warning. its also a good time to change up in general riding. Red light flashes at 1000rpm before redline. KLR has no rev limiter that I have found yet.

brp
3rd October 2012, 19:41
Very rarely see my lights flashing.

Setting the DR at 3-4k will mean it will flash at about 80km/hr and drive you nuts. Mine is set so it flashes at 110ishkm/hr as a sort of speed warning. its also a good time to change up in general riding. Red light flashes at 1000rpm before redline. KLR has no rev limiter that I have found yet.

Set yellow shift light for top gear higher - ya shouldnt have to rev the shit out of a thumper for normal riding - with torque being your friend

So a DR650 is pulling more than 4K at 100 km/hr ?

brp
3rd October 2012, 20:15
1st reply holds true - its a shift light not a speed meter - talking yellow shift light not the red one

Waipukbiker
3rd October 2012, 20:45
When I got mine it had 15/43 sprockets and at 100 kph it was doing approx 4,150 RPM, Its now got 14/43 and 100 kph is now at 4,400 RPM.
(It came with a small SenDEC tach/hr meter on it). Now for some humour, Mr Suzuki reckons you should change up at the following speeds on a DR650, 1st to 2nd=20kph, 2nd to 3rd=30kph, 3rd to 4th=40kph, 4th to 5th=50kph????????????????. The bloody engine would be nearly at idle at that speed in top, Mine got chunky at 80kmh in top under load with 15/43 gearing. (That was straight out of the genuine owners manual by the way)

brp
3rd October 2012, 21:01
Bit like the XR reving at 100 - I initially thought they were 6 speed the DR - usually makes for stronger box anyway a 5 speed

Yeah does not sound on the money the manual ....

TangoCharlie
4th October 2012, 12:15
Have Red set at 7k and Yellow at 6k, what about the two temp settings, I have the sensor under the outside spark plug.
After a quick ride it was about 112C

vegeman
5th October 2012, 07:30

Funny :laugh:

I had a trailtech on my xr650. The thing that annoyed me was the temp gauge for air reading - and that it didnt have a voltmeter . The air temp was inaccurate and slow to react. All other features worked well. I ended up buying another gauge as well to get temp and volts

NordieBoy
5th October 2012, 10:13
Funny :laugh:

I had a trailtech on my xr650. The thing that annoyed me was the temp gauge for air reading - and that it didnt have a voltmeter . The air temp was inaccurate and slow to react. All other features worked well. I ended up buying another gauge as well to get temp and volts

It's not air temp, it's the speedo temp.

Trailtech have apologised for it and their newer units now have an external pickup for "proper" air temp.

Phreaky Phil
10th October 2012, 16:49
It's not air temp, it's the speedo temp.

Trailtech have apologised for it and their newer units now have an external pickup for "proper" air temp.

Where do they say that ? I had a quick look at their site and couldn't see anything

NordieBoy
10th October 2012, 17:05
Where do they say that ? I had a quick look at their site and couldn't see anything

Can't find it now...

It was on AdvRider and was a response from a TrailTech employee about that they'd got the tooling done and made the final versions before they realised the electronics in the unit heated it up. Newer units now come with external air temp sensors.

Or something like that...

Thought it was in the Voyager thread but couldn't find it...

Crim
11th October 2012, 09:08
off ADV rider (just trying to NOT start work yet)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453690