PDA

View Full Version : Efi mod on a bike?

McFatty1000
15th September 2012, 21:56
Hi

Not knowing what is really involved /all the differences between carb'ed and efi bikes, what would it take to convert say a il4 250 (just as thats what I've got) to efi? Anyone done something like this? What did it cost? Etc etc

Note that I don't actually plan to do this; much better things to spend money on, its just a matter of interest...

bogan
15th September 2012, 22:09
You're probably looking at 500 for the injector manifold, as there will be some machining required to modify and existing setup to suit. Plus another 300ish for the computer, 200 for a fuel pump and tank mods, probably around another 500 to get it dyno-tuned properly. Add another 500 for misc things and contingency for a grand total of 2k all up.

McFatty1000
15th September 2012, 23:05
Ok, thats actually not too bad then, assuming those prices are about the ball park figures. Still, if you had that to spend on modding a bike, I guess there are easier ways of making a bike better...

The Lone Rider
16th September 2012, 01:02
For two grand, I'd sell the bike and use that money plus the $2000 to upgrade my bike

matdaymon
16th September 2012, 11:28
For two grand, I'd sell the bike and use that money plus the $2000 to upgrade my bike

THIS ^
For $2k you can basically have the deposit on a brand spanker 250 that is already EFI like the new Ninjas, CBRs and GT250 Hyos

bogan
16th September 2012, 11:32
THIS ^
For $2k you can basically have the deposit on a brand spanker 250 that is already EFI like the new Ninjas, CBRs and GT250 Hyos

I'd much prefer the FZR, new 250s are fucking beige.

AllanB
16th September 2012, 11:34
On a IL4 250 you'll gain sweet F-A. You'd be better off spending a fraction of the coin getting the existing carbs syncronised and tuned for the bike.

FJRider
16th September 2012, 11:47
Ok, thats actually not too bad then, assuming those prices are about the ball park figures. Still, if you had that to spend on modding a bike, I guess there are easier ways of making a bike better...

Like buying a better bike you mean ...

tigertim20
16th September 2012, 11:53
Hi

Not knowing what is really involved /all the differences between carb'ed and efi bikes, what would it take to convert say a il4 250 (just as thats what I've got) to efi? Anyone done something like this? What did it cost? Etc etc

Note that I don't actually plan to do this; much better things to spend money on, its just a matter of interest...
the cost isnt the only issue, as you could potentially sell much of your removed parts, the effort would be the major.

If youre doing it to a bike that was never offered as an injected model there will be lots of guessing and re-doing in order to get it to work right.
youll need a new wiring loom and ecu, injectors and associated bits and pieces, probably a change to teh fuel pump and or tank, possibly a new dash to suit the new loom depending on exactly how you set it up.

I see you have an FZR, and youre looking for a little more oomph? next month LAMS comes into effect, go look at the lams list and buy a superior learner legal bike off the list would be a way better option.

McFatty1000
17th September 2012, 00:10
Haha, yeah, no, not planning on doing it to this bike - have had it for all of two and a half weeks? Just needing to get the carb seals etc all done, which as I looked at it made me wonder about how efi would work on an existing carb'd bike.

And yeah, I looked at the lams list for a while but nothing there took my fancy (Unless I wanted to pay huge money for a restricted bike) and being a student and all jumped on a cheap as chips, needing a little work but nothing fatal fzr. Good fun, even when its not running as good as it will be. It has enough go to keep up with the bigger bikes in legal settings at least..

Is it just me though or are the new 250's (ninja, cbr etc) a bit dull? In the, distant, future, I'm hoping to get an r6, efi if I can, so I won't worry about this one until then.

GSF
17th September 2012, 10:45
Is it just me though or are the new 250's (ninja, cbr etc) a bit dull? In the, distant, future, I'm hoping to get an r6, efi if I can, so I won't worry about this one until then.

They are really. The late 80s and early 90s were an interesting time when the Jap bike makers were having an arms race to build very quick 250s which is where the stable of CBRs, FZRs, ZXRs, GSXRs etc. came from. Quick and quite high-tech (for the time) machines, I think some of the CBR250RRs used gear driven cams which add to that crazy shriek they produce.

Most 250s nowadays are built to be very reliable, fuel efficient and learner friendly bikes and are pretty beige. There are a few go-fast sub-250cc bikes being made, like the 2t Aprilias but those are plenty spendy.