PDA

View Full Version : My First Day

luke-g
7th August 2005, 01:42
Hi everyone, i'm new to the forums as a member but i've been reading for a while. The site and the forums are awesome, they really helped me out a lot. Anyway I finally took the plunge - passed my test thursday, bought a 2nd hand 2004 Hyosung Comet GT250 (only 2600km!) the same day and hit the road five minutes after it was delivered this morning.

What a day! I've been riding around showing my beautiful new bike off to all my mates. I did 80km and i've never ridden on the road before - I was amazed at how quickly I got used to the traffic. I reckon a lot of the credit has to go to the bike, though. It's big and comfortable and solid, and when you get to about 5000 rpm it absolutely flies! It's been all I can do not to blast off at every green light or down every empty road, just to hear that purring whine...

Just felt the need to share the love, had a lot of my good feelin's stolen today by a non-biker "friend" who told me to stop trying so hard to be cool, and not to get excited about it cause after all, "it's only a 250"

sAsLEX
7th August 2005, 01:51
meh to them who cares if its only a 250

welcome to the site

Gremlin
7th August 2005, 03:48
Just felt the need to share the love, had a lot of my good feelin's stolen today by a non-biker "friend" who told me to stop trying so hard to be cool, and not to get excited about it cause after all, "it's only a 250"
He's jealous, and sick and tired of us impatient ones jumping to the front of traffic lights, simply because we can. :devil2:

Also, once you have ridden a bit, most 250s are faster than the average car. Wait until you are able to move up, then he will be asking how to get one... :yes:

Welcome to the site... :drinkup:

gixxer rider
7th August 2005, 08:03
Hi everyone, i'm new to the forums as a member but i've been reading for a while. The site and the forums are awesome, they really helped me out a lot. Anyway I finally took the plunge - passed my test thursday, bought a 2nd hand 2004 Hyosung Comet GT250 (only 2600km!) the same day and hit the road five minutes after it was delivered this morning.

What a day! I've been riding around showing my beautiful new bike off to all my mates. I did 80km and i've never ridden on the road before - I was amazed at how quickly I got used to the traffic. I reckon a lot of the credit has to go to the bike, though. It's big and comfortable and solid, and when you get to about 5000 rpm it absolutely flies! It's been all I can do not to blast off at every green light or down every empty road, just to hear that purring whine...

Good on ya mate at least you will look cool on your 250 unlike your non biker friend standing on the side of the road or in traffic jams.
WELCOME to the craze.

Firefight
7th August 2005, 08:25
hey man, welcome to the zain-wacky world of kb, theres something for everyone here :grouphug: , don't worry about those negative comments.

F/F :ride:

SixPackBack
7th August 2005, 08:37
Welcome on board Luke-G, rest assured we don't care what you ride, you are welcome here :yes:

John
7th August 2005, 08:45
Welcome on board Luke-G, rest assured we don't care what you ride, you are welcome here :yes:
unless its a gayzooki...

Welcome, glad your having a ball out there - thats what its all about, your mates to scared to get his leg over thats the problem with him ;)

Riff Raff
7th August 2005, 08:47
Welcome to KB. I hope you have many years of pleasure riding motorbikes. Don't worry about what others say - it's what we, the biker population think that counts, and we're stoked that we have another biker in our midst. :Punk:

SixPackBack
7th August 2005, 08:49
unless its a gayzooki...

Welcome, glad your having a ball out there - thats what its all about, your mates to scared to get his leg over thats the problem with him ;)

Bbbbbbbaaaaaahhhhhh......ooohh Johny when you havin' your way with me again :love:

[Welcome luke-g]

stify
7th August 2005, 08:53
welcome luke-g,any ride is a cool ride man,even better when it's a v2
enjoy ya :ride:

LB
7th August 2005, 09:34
Hi luke-g - welcome to the KB gargre and to bikes.

Don't let the negative comments get to you - non-biking people (as a general rule) simply don't understand.

Enjoy your new bike!!

zadok
7th August 2005, 09:40
Welcome to K.B Luke. Man, these Hyosungs seem to be getting popular! Talk about the price of 250's! (see other thread)

Coyote
7th August 2005, 09:52
I'd like to now how the Comet compares to the other 250s. Is it roughly the same in power?

Wilkommen to the site :niceone:

Beemer
7th August 2005, 11:25
Who cares if it's 'just a 250' - it's not WHAT you ride, it's that fact that you RIDE! :ride:

You say your mate is a non-biking 'friend' - in other words, not a REAL friend! Those Hyosungs look pretty neat so I wouldn't worry what this person thinks, they're probably insanely jealous of the fun you are having.

I've recaptured my love of riding since getting the Goose - who cares that it's only a 350? It's a hell of a lot of fun to ride and that is what motorcycling is all about.

thehollowmen
7th August 2005, 11:52
Welcome

I've got a book from the 80s on motorcycling that says "with the advances in engines, 250ccs is all most people need for their purposes. Even touring two up can be performed admirably on a 250cc engine so do you really need much more?"

Down here in dunedin, a few people with full licenses have gone back to 250s (actually I know two that went onto the Comet) because they're so much chceeper to run.

Good choice of bike, those Comets go like the clappers and I really wish I had one of them when I started riding.
Welcome again.

luke-g
7th August 2005, 11:59
Hey thanks you guys, great to have some support! The Comet's been helping out as well, I took it out this morning and now i've called in sick tomorrow so I can keep riding it all day monday, heh. Love my bike and love riding it...

Ixion
7th August 2005, 12:00
Welcome

I've got a book from the 80s on motorcycling that says "with the advances in engines, 250ccs is all most people need for their purposes. Even touring two up can be performed admirably on a 250cc engine so do you really need much more?"

Down here in dunedin, a few people with full licenses have gone back to 250s (actually I know two that went onto the Comet) because they're so much chceeper to run.

Good choice of bike, those Comets go like the clappers and I really wish I had one of them when I started riding.
Welcome again.

I ride a 250 for communtering, cos I don't want to think how much it would cost if the BMW got knocked over by some prat in the car park. And it's big and heavy through traffic.

But the 250 is a shit load of fun too. Light , manouverable , quite fast enough to keep ahead of almost any cage, and as fast as it's sensible to go on the motorway. What use is 250kph for riding to work ? Use it on the motorway and you can guarantee a lost license before very long.

Granted, I wouldn't want to do a lot of long trips on it. But I've done 400km round distance and it was fine.

90 mpg, naff all for maintenance (single cylinder) 150+ top speed, excellent on gravel , where's the problem ?

thehollowmen
7th August 2005, 12:16
I ride a 250 for communtering, cos I don't want to think how much it would cost if the BMW got knocked over by some prat in the car park. And it's big and heavy through traffic.

But the 250 is a shit load of fun too. Light , manouverable , quite fast enough to keep ahead of almost any cage, and as fast as it's sensible to go on the motorway. What use is 250kph for riding to work ? Use it on the motorway and you can guarantee a lost license before very long.

Granted, I wouldn't want to do a lot of long trips on it. But I've done 400km round distance and it was fine.

90 mpg, naff all for maintenance (single cylinder) 150+ top speed, excellent on gravel , where's the problem ?

I didn't say there was one :-)
I like small bikes too, they've got their uses.
Anyways, Trials girls and thier bikes are hawt.

Anyways, (good) karma coming your way for admiting you have a small bike.

Odin
7th August 2005, 12:25
Hey thanks you guys, great to have some support! The Comet's been helping out as well, I took it out this morning and now i've called in sick tomorrow so I can keep riding it all day monday, heh. Love my bike and love riding it...

I think you are well hooked. Good on you and worry not about envious coments. Se if you can get mening of this old danish saying :
"The berries are sour" said the fox....He could not reach them.

MSTRS
7th August 2005, 12:43
..... just to hear that purring whine...

Not to put too fine a point on that.....you've got a cat caught in your chain.
Welcome to our world.

Jantar
7th August 2005, 12:57

you can ignore any comments along the lnes of "... Its only a..." A number of years ago (so many I don't want to remember) Suzuki had a special on their A50 motorbikes. Brand new at $399. A group of us bought them as fun bikes, as at that price it didn't really matter if we crashed or wore them out or anything. One of the things we attempted to do was to ride these 50cc road bikes over the Rock and Pillar mountains when there were snow drifts on the tops. One rider on a larger capacity machine (350 cc from memory) accompanied us in case anyone needed assistance. All riders on the 50cc Suzukis managed to get all the way, but the bigger machine couldn't.

It is often possible to have more fun on a smaller bike than a larger one. Whatever bike you have just enjoy it. :ride: :ride:

HDTboy
7th August 2005, 13:05
What your "friend" doesn't get, is that almost every biker on the road has had to ride a 250 to get their licence, and as it's been said above, when you've got a few more K's under your belt, you'll be able to go faster than most cars anyway.
Who gives a rats arse what anyone else thinks, it's all about you

Rincewind
7th August 2005, 13:23

Good on ya dude, I guess everyone who uses this forum will have a simular memory of their first ride out on the open road after the eventual mastery of keeping the thing bloody upright at the same time as fine tuning all the extremities to do summat different at various stages of progression,anyone who say's they found it easy is a liar !!! Negative comments about motorcyclists are usually born out of jealosy based around the fact that they can't make the same kind of progress in slow moving town traffic or park quite as easily quite so near to their chosen destination..
Enjoy... but remember this bug will consume you if it gets the chance, one day you will wake up next to your top of the range Hondaukiatima without a cent in your pocket and wonder who said it was a cheap form of transport Ha Ha

crashe
7th August 2005, 13:36
welcome....

If you ever want to come on some rides..
check out the "Meetings and Events" section.....
:ride: :ride: :ride: :ride:

anhrefn
7th August 2005, 14:30
Welcome in luke-g, no such thing as just a 250 either and who says your trying to hard to be cool? Biking isnt about being cool, its a way of life! So long as it has two wheels (or even 3 or 4 in the odd case) its all good. And yeah these guys give a good welcome and have even better advice if yah need it. Just remember to keep your eyes on the road and treat all car drivers out there as idiots who mean yah harm. We tend to come off second best to there stupidity.

Sweet riding and welcome in.

Zapf
7th August 2005, 21:59
aya... welcome :)

bigger bikes don't mean its cooler... just means a more expensive bill if you prang it. and you might find you'll consistantly get more fun / challange out of a smaller bike than a big one :)

V Twins are great :)

make sure you come along to one of the rides and introduce yourself.

justsomeguy
7th August 2005, 22:15
Hey Luke :spudwave:

Nice to see you joining us as a poster.

Enjoy your bike and like Zapf said do please join us on rides organised for newbies. It is a good, safe introduction to riding.

JSG

sels1
7th August 2005, 22:36
I took it out this morning and now i've called in sick tomorrow so I can keep riding it all day monday, heh. Love my bike and love riding it...

Good on yar Luke, you'll fit in well here. Welcome to the site

skelstar
8th August 2005, 08:37
luke-g, welcome to the forum! I bought a RED Hyo 250GT new three weeks ago and have done 1600km on it already. I have only been riding for as long as I have had the bike but I have had really good feedback from mechanics (at 1000km service) and the like. I had my first long trip yesterday (400km) and found the bike really comfortable. I hope you enjoy yourself.

Eurygnomes
8th August 2005, 15:16
Hey dude...I know EXACTLY how you feel (even though I'm on a GN250...I'll still stand in front of her and answer back to anyone who gives me any crap for having 'just' a GN!). I :love: my bike! And riding (especially on days like we had at the weekend in Wellington) is just an absolute blast.

So far, I haven't been one for lanesplitting/filtering, but when you nail a corner perfectly (and I don't reckon it has to be a particularly tight corner, just a corner) and come back to upright, it's like "I AM the bike...the bike IS me...".

*sings show tunes to self*

Seriously - welcome to the site. These guys and gals are great. And when I come up to AKL can I have a go on the comet?? (just kidding - am only there for one night...)

Bonez
8th August 2005, 18:53
Enjoy the joys of riding Luke-G. Welcome. 250s are fun. Heavy early '80s inline 4s are fun. 50s are fun etc etc etc You get the idea ah :Punk: