PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki or Kawasaki? and Hi.....

ktee
7th August 2005, 08:48
Hi there. I've been reading your excellent info for so long now that I decided to join in.

Question ...... Have any of you ladies riden or owned a Kawasaki W650 or a Suzuki Marauder 800? I'm trying to decide what next to buy and someone elses experience is always a good starting point. Which is best in terms of ease of riding. I'm 5"4 and how far forward are the foot pegs on the Marauder? Anyhoo lots of questions but enuf for now. Cheers

Riff Raff
7th August 2005, 09:05
Hi there and welcome to KB. I haven't ridden either of those bikes so can't comment. Are you looking at a cruiser because that's what you're into, or is it because of your height? The only way you're going to know what you like is by trying them. It really comes down to what feels best to you when you're riding and gives you the most enjoyment.

SlashWylde
7th August 2005, 09:25
Heres a couple of reviews that might help:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=9322

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=8831

LB
7th August 2005, 09:30
Hi ktee, welcome to the KB gargre.

Mrs Hitcher has an 800 Marauder - in fact this is her second one as unfortunately she wrote her first one off. I'm sure Mr Hitcher will see this thread in due course and make constructive comment.

zadok
7th August 2005, 09:47
Welcome to K.B Ktee. Like your profile pic.
Sorry can't comment on either of those bikes, having not owned or ridden either, except to say I'm quite taken by the style of the classic look Kawasaki W650.

ktee
7th August 2005, 10:23
Thanx for the comments thus far. I love the look of the Kawasaki ZZR250 and enjoy riding it find it's not so good for learning slow riding skills. The GN250 is fun to ride and easy to control at slow speeds. So my problem is I love the look of sports road bikes but am finding the more upright seating etc of the GN provides me with more learning opportunities. So this makes me think my progression may be more to the cruiser style. Any thoughts?

Pixie
7th August 2005, 11:32
I would recommend the W650 for it's seating position,over a sportbike or a cruiser.It is what I refer to as a conventional bike half way between the two extremes,and is more adaptable than either.I am a fan of the bandit for this very reason. :ride:

ktee
7th August 2005, 12:25
Thankyou for that Pixie ... it makes alot of sense. I will have to take one out for a testride.

Hitcher
7th August 2005, 16:50
Greetings and welcome. Mrs H does indeed have a Marauder (the VZ800K4, not the mini-Mean Streak Boulevard M50).

You've probably by now read all of the stuff about the bike. You may also be interested in Mrs H's performance data as well. She's a whisker over 5'2" dripping wet and is not a large person by any stretch. Given that the average woman rider is 5'3", one wonders why bike manufacturers don't do more to build or modify bikes so that the shorter rider can manage them...

However manage a Marauder Mrs H does very well indeed.

She would ride a Sprotsbike(TM) if she could find one upon which she didn't have to tippee toe to keep upright when stationary (an important consideration, as most offs are slow speed events), doesn't crush her nether regions, and which she doesn't have to lean on her wrists to ride. Trail bikes? Forget it. BMW claim to have a height reducing kit for the F650 but you have to buy the bike first as there is no demonstrator available with one already fitted. Similarly other manufacturers claim a bunch of mods that can be done to various sprotsbikes (such as dropping the forks through the triple clamp, and dicking around with the rear suspension) but this must compromise the handling.

So in the meantime, get a cruiser! They are strangely addictive. If we had a gargre I suspect there would be a Mean Streak in it...

ktee
7th August 2005, 17:32
Thanx Hitcher..... appreciate the feedback. I'm 5"4 and teeny tiny weight wise but I am able to sit over the Kawasaki ZZR250 comfortably and hold it up and after dropping it, lift it up but riding it slowly makes me feel like the weight of it is going to take over. I agree messing with forks and such must affect the handling.

Safe riding to you and Mrs H.

Beemer
11th August 2005, 17:51
She would ride a Sprotsbike(TM) if she could find one upon which she didn't have to tippee toe to keep upright when stationary (an important consideration, as most offs are slow speed events), doesn't crush her nether regions, and which she doesn't have to lean on her wrists to ride. Trail bikes? Forget it. BMW claim to have a height reducing kit for the F650 but you have to buy the bike first as there is no demonstrator available with one already fitted.

Are you talking about the F650CS or the GS, Hitcher? If she wants to try a CS for size, I have the one with the low seat and the lower profile rear tyre. If it is a GS, there is currently one in Motorad (you may have seen it the other night - a yellow one?) that even I could touch the ground on - and I am only 5'1".

Hitcher
11th August 2005, 19:24
Are you talking about the F650CS or the GS, Hitcher? If she wants to try a CS for size, I have the one with the low seat and the lower profile rear tyre. If it is a GS, there is currently one in Motorad (you may have seen it the other night - a yellow one?) that even I could touch the ground on - and I am only 5'1".
Thanks for the offer. It up we may take!

Beemer
11th August 2005, 21:58
Thanks for the offer. It up we may take!

I could do you a good price! It's up for sale mainly because I am only 5'1" and find the wide seat isn't conducive to getting my feet down in a position I am happy with. I am fine riding it, but don't enjoy low speed riding or stopping on off-camber roads as I am on absolute tip toes. It has all the extras - ABS, heated grips, power socket, hazard lights, etc. And a personalised plate! Send me a PM if you want to come and check it out.

Motu
11th August 2005, 22:20
I'd love a W650,I don't think the seat height is as low as a cruiser,but it's styled as a classic bike,and they fitted a broad range of people.A versatile bike that can be adapted to other uses,and capable of different riding styles - not being narrow focused (sportsbike,cruiser,dirtbike) you will find the handling and seating position will allow you cope with more varied road and weather/traffic conditions.A great bike,I'd like to have the funds to head in that direction.

Hitcher
11th August 2005, 22:46
I'd love a W650
Spokes. It's got spokes...

Ixion
11th August 2005, 23:06
I'd love a W650,I don't think the seat height is as low as a cruiser,but it's styled as a classic bike,and they fitted a broad range of people.A versatile bike that can be adapted to other uses,and capable of different riding styles - not being narrow focused (sportsbike,cruiser,dirtbike) you will find the handling and seating position will allow you cope with more varied road and weather/traffic conditions.A great bike,I'd like to have the funds to head in that direction.

The classic Brits were easy on shorter people because their seats were NARROW. This is actually more important than height. When I first got the Whale I found it very hard to manage. Admittedly, I'm a short arse (actually a long arse, but the legs were meant for a pygmy. Another cockup in Igor's assembly plant), but I never had any problem with Triumphs and BSAs and Velos. And on paper the BMW seat is actually LOWER than a unit Triumph. Finally worked out it was because of the width. Look at the saddle on a classic Brit, and it come to quite a narrow point at the front. The BMW saddle is full width right to the front. So i attacked the seat base with my trusty hacksaw. A bit of narrowing and refitting of the vinyl , and it made a tremendous difference.

I really liked the preunit predecessor of the W650, m'self.

Ixion
11th August 2005, 23:07

I like spokes. I can rebuild a spoked wheel, too.

LB
12th August 2005, 04:15
The clever BMW people now make spoked wheels that run tubeless tyres.....

(though having said that, I'm not sure if the 650's have them or if it's just the 1150GS range - I'm sure Beemer will be able to tell us.)

dawnrazor
12th August 2005, 12:41
ktee, if you like the sports bike feel and look, you might be very dissapointed with a cruiser. The handling and control are SO different. I started on a Yamaha SR125, and to be honest i don't think it did anything for my riding skills, because at the end of the day it was just to easy to ride, you didn't even think about what you did half the time. It wasn't until i got a TZR125 and later an aprillia RS250 that i began to learn how to ride (and enjoy myself).
The bandit 600 is a peach to ride, and if thats too tall, you shouldn't have any probs on a suzuki SV650, very easy to ride fast and slow, a great first bike that will test you but not scare the bejesus out of you. The little v-twin is a cracker and the riding position isn't overly sporty. I think the fared version has a slightly lower seat.

Indiana_Jones
12th August 2005, 15:20
I NEED A RIDE :D

-Indy

ktee
12th August 2005, 18:51
Thanks for that. I will checkout those two bikes. The Bandit 600 ... is that a Kawasaki?

I appreciate your constructive feedback. Cheers :ride:

Bonez
12th August 2005, 18:56
Best thing to do is take both for a test ride. W650 would be my preference personnally. Knew a gent who owned two. Reliable, rode and handled fine when we were out on rides together. Best of luck on your final decision. Bandits are suzukis and damn fine value.

ktee
12th August 2005, 18:58
Both Suzuki I have learnt.

Mmmmm....I like the look of the SV650. Not so keen on the back half of the Bandit but rather nice in the front.

They are now on my list of bikes to testride. Cheers

ktee
12th August 2005, 18:59
Thanks Bonez

Bonez
13th August 2005, 22:40
Thanks BonezNo probs. Couple of other things I like about them is they have a kickstart, mainstand, no radiator/coolants other than the engine oil to worry about and only one chain-the final drive chain- non in the engine. Tyres being 18" rear and 19" front don't cost an arm and a leg to buy/replace either. Jim did 50,000 kms on his first one in 3 years without any problems before he got his second one. Valve clearances use shims so don't usually need adjusting as often as screw/locknut adjusters. Good bike to learn basic maintenance on too if you are that way inclined.

brianken
13th March 2006, 21:06
yo girl have u ride a kawasaki zzr250 1997 model before?

cowpoos
13th March 2006, 21:49
Hi there. I've been reading your excellent info for so long now that I decided to join in.

Question ...... Have any of you ladies riden or owned a Kawasaki W650 or a Suzuki Marauder 800? I'm trying to decide what next to buy and someone elses experience is always a good starting point. Which is best in terms of ease of riding. I'm 5"4 and how far forward are the foot pegs on the Marauder? Anyhoo lots of questions but enuf for now. Cheers

hi......since you obviously like cruzers....your ghey....now why don't you just come out of the closet and get a honda

Mental Trousers
14th March 2006, 13:26
Mmmmm....I like the look of the SV650.

Keystone has an SV650. She's not a big girl by any stretch of the imagination, but I believe she's at least a couple of inches taller than you. Ask her how she finds it and her height etc. Also, Riff Raff as one as well. But I don't know how tall she is.

Riff Raff
15th March 2006, 12:49
Also, Riff Raff as one as well. But I don't know how tall she is.
I'm 5'6" and don't have problems.
Mad Duck is another SV rider and is quite a bit shorter than me. She had hers lowered to suit, and I believe her beast is now in harmony with her height!

Cajun
15th March 2006, 13:36
My wife as a 04 gsxr1000 which as a seat height of 825mm, she is about 5'5-5'6

She is okay riding, its the stoping she sometimes had problems with. We do custom lowering of bikes, most moden sports bikes can be lowered rather easy, over all it does not make a huge difference to the handling for most users.

ktee
17th June 2006, 19:03
for your thoughts.

My first bike was ZZR250 .... Too light. I have to get my full licence b4 I test ride from my list. I am biding my time until the finer weather kicks in. Whimpy I know but the more time i spend practising, the easier the test will be and I'm not too fussed on riding in the rain. Cheers:yes:

jazbug5
17th June 2006, 22:47
Sorry if I repeat anything already said (haven't got time to read the whole thing), but there are several options open to you.

Have a look at this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=197524#post197524) thread (and there are a few if you search).
Useful site here (http://www.nebcom.com/noemi/moto/sbl.sbl.html#cat3). (Various bikes by seat height.

I am the same height as you; I have a Bandit 400, which is perfect- I can flat foot on it, though I think the suspension might need looking at!
There are various models out there which are sporty-ish without having a hunched-forward riding position: just have a look around.
I may look at an sv650 as my next bike (after I've dug up Granny and sold her); I know I can straddle that ok-ish, but it doesn't cost too much to get the seat narrowed so your feet reach further; another option.

However, if you really do fancy a cruiser then you'll probably have HEAPS of choice...

Good luck!