PDA

View Full Version : Can I go to Auckland with a 125cc?

edy
17th September 2012, 22:58
Hi, guys.

I have lived in Palmerston North and wanna go to Auckland with motorcycle that I will buy.

The problem is that I have limited budget for motorcycle and I am a learner rider.

So on my list, GN125 is the first option. I know GN125 is a small and slow one but I think I can go. :sweatdrop

If I go to Auckland, I will stop over Taupo and Hamilton.

What are you guys thinking about my idea?

Please give me your opinion and advices.

Thanks.

DEATH_INC.
17th September 2012, 23:21
It'll be a long hard ride on a 125. I did a fair distance back in the days on a DR125. It takes forever to get anywhere and you have no passing power. But if you're patient, and don't mind cruising along (80-90 kph if there's a headwind) and struggling up hills, then you'll be fine. It can be done.

Winston001
18th September 2012, 00:55
As they say, attitude is everything. Of course you can. If you think of the journey as an adventure, an experience, fun to be had, you will be fine.

Back in the day I used to ride a Suzuki TS185 trailbike on long journeys. Totally enjoyable. I never tried to keep up with traffic and just kept an eye on my mirror.

This might seem weird to you but for some of us the idea of fun is riding long-distance on a 100cc postie bike or scooter. Its motorcycling no matter how you do it. :D

FROSTY
18th September 2012, 03:40
Heck yea it can be done.Some of my best memories biking wise were as a kid on my honda cb125

EJK
18th September 2012, 06:59
Yes, totally do-able. You have balls for even thinking of doing it.

RDjase
18th September 2012, 07:00
Hi, guys.

I have lived in Palmerston North and wanna go to Auckland with motorcycle that I will buy.

The problem is that I have limited budget for motorcycle and I am a learner rider.

So on my list, GN125 is the first option. I know GN125 is a small and slow one but I think I can go. :sweatdrop

Thanks.

Yep

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/109267-Kaiapoi-to-Auckland-on-a-bucket!

sootie
18th September 2012, 09:37
Hi, guys.

Thanks.
When I was a young fella, I owned a 150cc Suzuki 2-stroke bike & used to commute backwards & forwards between Dunedin & Christchurch on this fairly regularly. (It is about 360kms.)
It was not a problem, and the bike did OK. I later swapped the 150 for a 250cc Suzuki which was really only slightly better at the long hauls as it happened.

Looking back on it now, the low power just made the journey longer & more tiring. It was perfectly achievable.
I did tend to thrash the poor wee bikes!

You will be continuously overtaken. This is something I hate. Usually I just like to be able to move pretty much at the speed of the traffic (unless I am in a hurry.) Suggest you try to travel when the roads are quiet as this is more enjoyable.

Hope this helps. :)

sootie
18th September 2012, 09:45
Hi, guys.

Thanks.
When I was a young fella, I owned a 150cc Suzuki 2-stroke bike & used to commute backwards & forwards between Dunedin & Christchurch on this fairly regularly. (It is about 360kms.)
It was not a problem, and the bike did OK. I later swapped the 150 for a 250cc Suzuki which was really only slightly better at the long hauls as it happened.

Looking back on it now, the low power just made the journey longer & more tiring. It was perfectly achievable.
I did tend to thrash the poor wee bikes!

You will be continuously overtaken. This is something I hate. Usually I just like to be able to move pretty much at the speed of the traffic (unless I am in a hurry.) Suggest you try to travel when the roads are quiet as this is will be more enjoyable. For some reason, I love the ride across the desert road. It always feels so - out there on two wheels!

Hope this helps. :)

Phantom Limb
18th September 2012, 10:24
Last christmas I met a French lady at a DOC campsite in the arse end of nowhere north of Dargaville (50 - 60 years old) she had flown to NZ for a holiday, bought a GN125 and was in the process of touring the WHOLE country on the fecking thing, she had so much luggage that the thing had about 2mm of rear suspension travel, but she was doing it come hell or death! :scooter:

caseye
18th September 2012, 12:19
Easy Peasy, take your time, watch your mirrors for upcoming fast moving stuff and otherwise enjoy the scenery and the smells, Oh Yeah you will smell heaps of things.
Go for it.

Akzle
18th September 2012, 19:14
it's entirely doable. but you're a noob so there are the risks inherent in your noobery.

and a 125... well. that just wont be much fun. i think the novelty will wear off about 100km (or two hours, whichever way you look at it) from home...

Drew
18th September 2012, 19:18
I'd do it!

bogan
18th September 2012, 19:21
I'd do it!

You'd probably do it on one fucking wheel too! Me on the other hand, wouldn't try that shit with a GN250, let alone a 125 :sick:

Akzle
18th September 2012, 19:30
Back in the day I used to ride a Suzuki TS185 trailbike on long journeys....

i had one of them.
f*cking awesome. would do 100km aiight, even uphill...
the half-knobblies made for fun in the wet.

caseye
18th September 2012, 19:34
Sold wifey's first bike to a bloke down in Wellington earlier this year.
Arranged to take it with me in the race car, truck. Not enough room in said truck, so at 2pm on a Friday afternoon I geared up in Sth Dorkland and headed south.
Bike is a 2 fiddy TLC or Lifan cruiser.
Cruised all the way at about 1-110 k's per hour, stopped 4 times for food, gas and wee breaks. (petrol cost me $22.00 all up)
Arrived in Newlands at 11pm that evening.
Had a ball, took that thing to some pretty impressive numbers both in revs and speeds but overall I stopped often enough, I traveled at a reasonable pace most of the time and while I didn't enjoy being passed I just kept a watchful eye out back.
Made one or two bigger bike riders smile at my cheek and persistance on occasion, but the ride was a good one and I'd do it again in a heart beat.
With another similar sized bike and a rider with enough nouse to make the trip it could really be a bit of humour.
So far this year that's 4 trips to Welly on a bike, the ol coal burner has done three already and is on schedule for at least another one this year.
Give it a go young fella.
Can't believe I'm saying " don't listen, to bogan"?????

Drew
18th September 2012, 19:40
You'd probably do it on one fucking wheel too! Me on the other hand, wouldn't try that shit with a GN250, let alone a 125 :sick:You'd be VERY surprised at how well GN125s wheelie too!...Erm, so I've heard.

i had one of them.
f*cking awesome. would do 100km aiight, even uphill...
the half-knobblies made for fun in the wet.Soooo, you don't think I should ride my RGV with full knobblies around the streets?

Fast Eddie
18th September 2012, 19:56
yea the gns are easy to wheelie.. think its the long seat, u can just sit way over the back and tug away on the bar :D

yea i'd do it on a gn125.. give yourself heaps of time and hopefully the other people on the rd arent cunts and give u plenty of space to do your thing.

look at asia etc they don't ride anything bigger than a 125! and they chuck 5 people on it and a couple of goats and some plywood and go for a fang

FJRider
18th September 2012, 20:12
The bike would do it ok. Take your time ... and try to avoid highway one, much better (and not as busy) for smaller bikes. It may surprise you how well it goes ...

carburator
18th September 2012, 20:25
bit of route planning is not a bad idea, I used to commute weekly tauranga to auckland on a suzuki fxr150.
As everyone said be prepared to be passed a lot or just move over to let that stream of traffic past.

MIXONE
18th September 2012, 20:32
Do it.Go via National Park and if you check out a map you can do back roads most of the way.

Drew
19th September 2012, 06:31
yea the gns are easy to wheelie.. think its the long seat, u can just sit way over the back and tug away on the bar :D

You lose too much control sitting back. Middle of the seat, get it moving, dip the clutch while you rol on the throttle and up it comes. My mate was laughing his arse off as I wheelied away on his bike.

But I digress.

If anyone is confident in riding open road, they'll be fine doing this trip. You could plan a route and post it up here with a rough time table, and you'd prolly have kiwibiker homos riding with you over half the time.

PrincessBandit
19th September 2012, 06:47
Course you can. The only other thing I'd mention to be aware of is wind - on a light bike like that you'll be prone to being pushed around. I did Akl - Taupo - Akl on a GN250 and the wind were the only pita part of the trip (I was not so much into passing vehicles back then...) oh and the bow wave from big trucks slamming into my chest.

sootie
19th September 2012, 08:02
Course you can. The only other thing I'd mention to be aware of is wind - on a light bike like that you'll be prone to being pushed around. I did Akl - Taupo - Akl on a GN250 and the wind were the only pita part of the trip (I was not so much into passing vehicles back then...) oh and the bow wave from big trucks slamming into my chest.
Well done for mentioning this!
Experienced motorcyclists just watch for this instinctively, but it is a learned behaviour.
Don't get too close to the road edge & brace yourself for a fast correction with approaching large trucks,
particularly when your bike is a light one.
What actually happens varies hugely with each encounter, but always prepare for a bad one!

Drew
19th September 2012, 09:33
Well done for mentioning this!
Experienced motorcyclists just watch for this instinctively, but it is a learned behaviour.
Don't get too close to the road edge & brace yourself for a fast correction with approaching large trucks,
particularly when your bike is a light one.
What actually happens varies hugely with each encounter, but always prepare for a bad one!
Epic wording fail I reckon.

Prepare yourself for an oncoming blast of air when approaching a truck or large vehicle, do not brace yourself. Stiffening up is bad...always!

bogan
19th September 2012, 09:45

Prepare yourself for an oncoming blast of air when approaching a truck or large vehicle, do not brace yourself. Stiffening up is bad...always!

And put that front wheel back down, it helps with stability :killingme

sootie
19th September 2012, 09:56

Yeah Ok, I could have put it better. Did not really mean stiffen the body up, re-read it for "step up the mental alertness in case a quick reaction is needed." How does that sound?
More seriously though, those blasts can very occasionally be fairly awesome!

Drew
19th September 2012, 10:04
And put that front wheel back down, it helps with stability :killingme

Ya get buffeted round a bit when you're doing open road speeds on one wheel anyway, can't say I've ever really noticed any on-coming traffic related blasts.

Passing trucks on one wheel on the other hand, is quite an art because the cross breeze varies heaps.

ICE180
19th September 2012, 10:15
i ride my 180cc 2T scoter all over the country no problems
just enjoy the ride and take ya time

its a blast

actungbaby
19th September 2012, 14:22
Hi, guys.

Thanks.

Take a back pack with alot spare gear wet wet weather gear spare socks
I did the trip from Christchurch to palmerston north in 2 days so its possible
And that was 80cc Honda scotter , keep left as much possbile, i whould avoid the dessert road and go alternate route throught the state forrest , have plenty stops for food,
make your own sandwichs to save on the dingle, stop often for petrol, fill up wear you can
To make sure you dont run out, have fun enjoy the exp.find a back backers in auckland if you
have no where to stay, plan this before you leave
have a map of noth island take a charged cell phone, keep in contact with somone

caseye
19th September 2012, 14:57
There's a lockup garage and a spare bed here in Sarf Dorkland if needed and I'm happy to have you call ahead to check in whenever you want.

ajturbo
22nd September 2012, 21:12
When I was 16, I rode my ER125 from Nelson to Auckland, I was away from home for 3 weeks, just cruising around the north island.... A lot of fun..!!!
Sure it's not as fast as most other bikes, but it would hold 100ks/hr as long as the head wind was not too strong...
oh .. And I didn't plan anything, as I had no idea how long it would take or the distance between places.. No GPS last century ....

i took wet weather gear, a couple of change of cloths and $$$$..( no efpos ) and a tent...

wes76
23rd September 2012, 19:20
Hells yeah, its not about the bike you ride its about the adventures you have!!!:2thumbsup

akkadian
26th September 2012, 19:39
Took the wifes gn125 New Plymouth to Opua last weekend. Would probably never do it again but at least you don't have to stop for gas much. They have an awesome range. Hills no drama but trucks were a pig

Scream
26th September 2012, 22:00
The guy who bought my FXR150 rode it from Hamilton to Wellington, so I don't see why not!

Banditbandit
9th October 2012, 08:24
Hi, guys.

Thanks.

Yeah ... go ... no-one will laugh at you ...

hyderabad
2nd November 2012, 08:31
Rode my suzuki A50 Hastings to Hawera an back in 70s Stayed there couple of days.