PDA

View Full Version : Now I know how Pedrosa felt the other day

pritch
18th September 2012, 12:57
I was doing an errand on the moped on my way home for lunch when I stopped at a give way sign. Nek minit - WHAM! I'm flying through the air feet first looking up at the sky. I had stopped - the car behind me hadn't.

Now I'm sure some of the riding Gods hereabout will be keen to tell me where I went wrong. There was no squeal of brakes - he had made no effort to stop; he was looking back over his shoulder to check if the gap was big enough. I had decided that the moped didn't have enough acceleration to fit the rapidly diminishing gap so had stopped.

For the benefit of locals this was by the Waiwhakaiho netball courts. I see near misses there every week. Would've liked to have seen one today.

The moped suffered more than me, so on balance I'll count myself lucky rather than unlucky. I'll be riding the Triumph back to work and I may use another route home. :whistle:

Sometimes shit does just happen.

Oblivion
18th September 2012, 16:06
I agree with you that that whole intersection is a nasty piece of work. Can't really help it though, since its the only way North out of the city.

I dont think they had future proofing in mind when they designed it. :pinch:

Bassmatt
18th September 2012, 16:35
Sounds like you got real lucky not to be hurt. :crazy:
How many lives have you got left now?

Sensei
18th September 2012, 17:18
Glad you didn't get to banged up Ron . About time you brought an old 500cc single to ride with me on TT/XL500 this summer

clonak
18th September 2012, 19:40
Thats not good. I dont want to be hearing about dodgy interections in NP right now, I'm pretty much set on moving down there christmas/start of next year to get away from dodgy Auckland drivers. Ill have to have a gander at it next weekend when I am down there. Few beers and a lawn chair you reckon ? lol

Hope your all good all the same.

pritch
19th September 2012, 16:19
Thats not good. I dont want to be hearing about dodgy interections in NP right now, I'm pretty much set on moving down there christmas/start of next year to get away from dodgy Auckland drivers. Ill have to have a gander at it next weekend when I am down there. Few beers and a lawn chair you reckon ? lol

Thank you.

You may be relieved to know that the intersection in question is the highest priority roading project in the province.
Which, of course, is no guarantee that it will actually get done. One of Super City Len's crackpot schemes may take priority?

I think the existing mess should be replaced with a largish roundabout, there would seem to be room. The local traffic planners, however, don't seem to favour roundabouts hereabout. The local drivers may be somewhat challenged by such a solution as well.

No doubt all will be revealed. Eventually.

Crasherfromwayback
19th September 2012, 17:09
Glad only the scooter copped it mate!

jasonu
20th September 2012, 13:56

You think drivers out of Auckland are better? Mate there are plenty of nobhead drivers doing nobhead things where ever you go.

clonak
20th September 2012, 18:36
You think drivers out of Auckland are better? Mate there are plenty of nobhead drivers doing nobhead things where ever you go.

Well yeah, I know that. But there is typicaly less of them, in not as much of a hurry. Or so I have found in my visits. Or maybe they were on holiday as well.

NP just seems like a really nice place.

Marmoot
20th September 2012, 21:00
Hmm...must be the season.
I just got done the same way around 2 weeks ago. On the motorway.
He wasn't looking, he wasn't stopping.

tigertim20
20th September 2012, 21:41
I was doing an errand on the moped on my way home for lunch when I stopped at a give way sign. Nek minit - WHAM! I'm flying through the air feet first looking up at the sky. I had stopped - the car behind me hadn't.

Now I'm sure some of the riding Gods hereabout will be keen to tell me where I went wrong. There was no squeal of brakes - he had made no effort to stop; he was looking back over his shoulder to check if the gap was big enough. I had decided that the moped didn't have enough acceleration to fit the rapidly diminishing gap so had stopped.

For the benefit of locals this was by the Waiwhakaiho netball courts. I see near misses there every week. Would've liked to have seen one today.

The moped suffered more than me, so on balance I'll count myself lucky rather than unlucky. I'll be riding the Triumph back to work and I may use another route home. :whistle:

Sometimes shit does just happen.

glad you're alive and walking, I fucking hate those KB member deceased threads, they really suck.

Movistar
22nd September 2012, 10:41
Probably got something to do with the drivers conscious and sub-conscious parts of the brain talking to each other (or not).
I'm reading this book that's very good at explaining this (you may want it back at some stage) :whistle:

pritch
22nd September 2012, 13:00
Probably got something to do with the drivers conscious and sub-conscious parts of the brain talking to each other (or not).
I'm reading this book that's very good at explaining this (you may want it back at some stage) :whistle:

Nice avatar. I'm still looking forward to seeing you saddle up that Duke. :yes:

When talking about the recent bunt someone suggested that I should've been wearing Hi Viz. The tone of my reply was probably harsher than was strictly necessary. I am not a hi viz fan. The driver wouldn't have seen me if I had red and blue flashing lights on my helmet, he was looking back over his shoulder.

Immediately following the prang, the driver and I picked up all the broken bits of plastic, reflectors, indicators, etc, and chucked them under the seat. When I cleaned them out the other day only one piece belonged to the moped. The rest all came from other peoples' prangs. It must be an even more frequent event than I thought.

kb_SF1
22nd September 2012, 18:14
not the best Ron great you are all okay, presume the guilty individual apolgised and promised to pay due care and attention when driving in future. Yea right.

Bringing the Bonne down to Dr Taylor to work his magic next month so will treat that interesection with care.
Regards
KB