PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki GSX1250FA suspension modifications: Part 1

Hitcher
18th September 2012, 18:26
Happiness is riding a motorcycle with a properly planted front and rear end.

In my career as a motorcyclist, I have ridden motorcycles that meet this requirement far too infrequently. Hardly surprising, given that most manufacturers are looking at suspension and brakes as the best ways of shaving a few dollars off the retail price.

Today the GSX1250FA (aka the Claytons Bandit) was retrieved and ridden after having received Part 1 of its scheduled suspension enhancements.

Part 1 has involved the tender ministrations of Kerry Dukie installing K-Tech components to replace the shocking standard Suzuki shockers. The new valve kit replaces the compression and rebound valving in its entirety and the stock front fork springs were replaced with K-Tech items.

Having uplifted the machine this morning, I thought "Where could one go to test whether these changes have made an appreciable difference?"

Almost immediately, my thoughts turned to a fang along SH2 where there is about 13km of corners that generally highlight any and all shortcomings in a motorcycle's performance. Not to mention the same 13km being ridden in reverse on one's way home.

So off and away I was!

Even before reaching the airport roundabout at Miramar (just down the hill from Chez Dukie), I had spotted that the front of the Claytons Bandit was behaving quite differently from what I had become used to.

Riding through town I was amazed at the improved response under braking. Claytons Bandits don't have the greatest braking system in Christendom anyway, but having front suspenders that go "squoosh" rather than "sproingy sproingy sproing" makes a big difference to how a bike stops.

So after an excursion up the Huttest of valleys, it was time to test the new front end up and over the Rimutaka hill.

Seriously nice, particularly on the Featherston side of the summit, where the road is quite pitted and lumpy into a few reasonably technical corners. I ended up soon confident enough to run lines untravelled by me since my Aprilia Shiver era.

The front feels very planted, stable and predictable. This is a big change from the 50 Shades Of Vague that the standard Suzuki front shockers deliver. It was nice to be able to confidently drive the bike hard out of corners with the throttle.

However enhancing the front has highlighted more dramatically the deficiencies with the standard rear Suzuki set up. This end still goes "sproingy sproingy sproing", "chatter, chatter, chatter" and "who decided it was a good idea to put a hinge in the chassis?"

In the next couple of weeks, the rear will also be remedied. A Wilbers 641 should sort that out.

Watch this space for reports about the completed Claytons Bandit's suspension modifications.

Blackbird
18th September 2012, 18:41
Brett, the other bonus is that your tyre life will increase substantially as the hoops won't have to try and compensate for proxy suspension. My old 'bird tyres gained another 2000 km or so after fitting quality front and rear units.

Ocean1
18th September 2012, 20:06
Bastid. I've been keeping a short reign on the purse strings and stories of that type are a definite threat to domestic harmony.

Bad enough are the memories of back to back rides on a piar of multistradas, one an "S" with recently tuned Ohlins and the other... not.

Shuffles off to hatch schemes of major toy budget expansion.

Hitcher
22nd September 2012, 20:33
Since the last report, the K-Tech-assisted GSX1250FA has run the Wainuiomata coast road, the Paekakariki Hill road, Route 52 from Masterton to Alfredton and out to Pahiatua, and intervening windy bits, including the Rimutaka Hill once more. I am greatly enjoying riding a motorcycle with a compliant front end.

I've also started weaving centreline catseyes, something I gave up on early in the Claytons Bandit's tenure. 70kmh weaving is pretty straightforward. I suspect that a Wilbers-enhanced rear end may improve this. Time will tell.

nzspokes
22nd September 2012, 21:07
Mines just got a Busa rear shock and seems to handle great.

Or maybe I just cant tell the difference.

Hitcher
22nd September 2012, 21:44
Mines just got a Busa rear shock and seems to handle great.

Or maybe I just cant tell the difference.

I can't comment. I'd need an expert to describe the difference between the stock shock in a Busa and the one that goes into a GSX1250FA.

However I would be so bold as to to predict that Suzuki has undercooked the suspension in the Busa as much as it does with all of its other models.

nzspokes
22nd September 2012, 21:49
The Busa shock seems to have a lot of adjustments and rides well. Is a common thing in England and Aussie.