PDA

View Full Version : Sub-frame removal, welder needed!

Norvin
19th September 2012, 07:59
Having just moved to NZ from the UK, I got me a little project to keep me out of trouble. It’s a little
Suzuki GF250 that im looking to turn into a Café Racer. Having stripped it all down, I now need a welder/ fabricator in the Auckland area, to slice of the sub frame and weld on some tabs so at a later date I can add a custom rose jointed sub .
The frames all steel, so no fancy alloy!

Can anyone Help?

Jay

FJRider
19th September 2012, 08:20
Such things require certification before the vehicle is licensed and allowed back on the road. It may pay to consult a testing station to see what your requirements will be after the process you describe is done.

imdying
19th September 2012, 08:49
Yep it sure does. That's no drama, but they'll expect all sorts of little things to be done (right type of hose clamps on the fuel lines, that sort of stuff) that you've not touched, as they'll certify the entire vehicle. Not a big deal, but get a certifier first and make sure you're aware of all the little things.

Akzle
19th September 2012, 19:37
srsly...? if i was in auckland i'd probably throw my welder at you.

but i'm not. so go buy your lazy ass a hacksaw.
then take your frame and tabs to a local engineershop, with beer.

Drew
19th September 2012, 19:41
It should be certified, but I wouldn't bother. VTNZ wouldn't have a clue that you have welded tabs on to mount a subframe, so just take it there for warrants.

bogan
19th September 2012, 19:43
It should be certified, but I wouldn't bother. VTNZ wouldn't have a clue that you have welded tabs on to mount a subframe, so just take it there for warrants.

+1 Just make it look like the frame originally had a removable subframe. At least with removable subbies you can claim its just a bolt on part and no cert required.

DEATH_INC.
19th September 2012, 19:59
Having just moved to NZ from the UK, I got me a little project to keep me out of trouble. It’s a little
Suzuki GF250 that im looking to turn into a Café Racer. Having stripped it all down, I now need a welder/ fabricator in the Auckland area, to slice of the sub frame and weld on some tabs so at a later date I can add a custom rose jointed sub .
The frames all steel, so no fancy alloy!

Can anyone Help?

Jay
What area of Auckland are you in? I'm in Manukau if that's of any help to ya shoot me a pm.

FJRider
19th September 2012, 20:09
What area of Auckland are you in? I'm in Manukau if that's of any help to ya shoot me a pm.

As he has only one post .. he will be unable to PM anybody. He may be able to reply to a PM ... or post a message on your profile page.

Norvin
19th September 2012, 20:10
Thanks all, given that i never finish anything, registration is a just a pipe dream. As for a hack saw and beer! Would do if I could find a local engineering company! If I wanted a bridge or structural steel for a mansion I'm good. Add in the fact i have a strong uk Nothern accent and no one can understand a feking thing i say wandering around is not that good an idea either ;)
Just need someone with a small setup that can fit it in between jobs:)

carburator
19th September 2012, 21:11
feck Id be able to converse with you, worked for years with a scotch guy that was thicker than thick on the accent, had to translate for the
poms on the crew..
( that bad )

rule of thumb is if it looks stock VTNZ leaves you alone, Low volume cert is still in the process for writing rules
for bikes and frames, its rather interesting to study factory frames and what they did over the years.

tab's for a subframe Hmm id be more inclined to use machined spud tubes or tophats or get made a
sleave that will slide inside the frame tube and you can spot weld window drill holes...

sorry about the more than one way to skin a cat..

Norvin
19th September 2012, 21:50
Lol, most people have me down for a Scott, but I'm a Lancashire lad!, I used a bit of poetic licence on the communication stuff, but it is hard trying to explain what you want and get the usual "what?" As for the frame, it's a look thing really. I like the idea of the rose joints, tapped into the round bar that will make up the new subframe. The bike frame needs 8 tabs in toyal one for each side of the rose joins ( four in total) and welded at the site of the original subframe mountings!

I need to draw a picture of how I see it do will post it here once I have.

DEATH_INC.
20th September 2012, 11:52
As he has only one post .. he will be unable to PM anybody. He may be able to reply to a PM ... or post a message on your profile page.
Righto.
Norvin, Just leave a message here then if ya want Me to have a look.

Norvin
20th September 2012, 23:27
Righto.
Norvin, Just leave a message here then if ya want Me to have a look.

I'm not too far away from Manakau so if you can fit me in I'll happy let you have a look:)

Metal Doctor
13th October 2012, 22:05
Hey mate, if you still need a welder, give me a shout. I'm a mobile welder in Auckland, and this is my kinda thing! www.metaldoctor.co.nz

DEATH_INC.
14th October 2012, 07:46
Hey mate, if you still need a welder, give me a shout. I'm a mobile welder in Auckland, and this is my kinda thing! www.metaldoctor.co.nz
Not sure where he's at, I pm'd him my no. and haven't heard from him. ?
edit: That looks like a pretty sweet business you have there.... :niceone:

nzspokes
14th October 2012, 08:32

Oh sweet, I was about to ask on here for a welder. Ive got a little shifter rod to be done.

Metal Doctor
15th October 2012, 21:39
Im new to all this forum stuff, just getting used to it all, finding out how it works! i cant read PM's yet cos i havent done enough stuff yet, but you can find me on the interweb and on facebook. Going to start repling to more threads and get involed now. hope to be welding up some crazy machines in the future!!!!