PDA

View Full Version : Nikel Cadnium Plating

Rincewind
7th August 2005, 11:45
Hi Guy's can anyone recomend a D. I. Y. Nikel Cadnium plating kit for replating the nuts and bolts and small brackets etc on a project I'm about to embark on.

A friend of mine back in YUK used one about 10 years ago with good results.

The big advantage with doing all the small stuff yourself is the security of knowing that no middle man is going to lose that throttle cable linkage that will take about two months to replace at a cost of megabucks in time and money !!!

Also you can work at your own pace and get a sense of progress (some of these projects can drag on bit can't they)

if anyone who has used or has knowledge of this type of product would be kind enough to post a reply I would be very platefull Ha Ha

froggyfrenchman
7th August 2005, 16:02
dnt know bout diy kits, but ring ur local plater and ask what wire they use. Wire ur own harnesses with your bits and pieces. that stops the chance of middle man loosin your stuff. My family used to own an electroplating plant. And always sujested bikers with lil bits wire them themselves.

Rincewind
7th August 2005, 16:23
dnt know bout diy kits, but ring ur local plater and ask what wire they use. Wire ur own harnesses with your bits and pieces. that stops the chance of middle man loosin your stuff. My family used to own an electroplating plant. And always sujested bikers with lil bits wire them themselves.
Thank you,it's a good idea, for brackets and stuff but nuts bolts and washers etc. are a pain in the bum for electroplaters I reackon, so that's why I was looking at doin it myself

Thank's anyway

Hitcher
7th August 2005, 16:31
Nickel cadmium plating, perhaps?

Pixie
7th August 2005, 23:27
You are slightly confused.You can nickel plate or cadmium plate,but nickel cadmium is generally a type of battery.
Nickel plating is what you are after,cadmium plating is similar in appearance and protection to zinc electroplate (inferior to nickel)
Look at WWW.por15.co.nz
The company is Permanent Painted Coatings in Palmerston North an they have a kit in their catalogue: E-Z Nickel Kit about $180

Motu
8th August 2005, 07:33
I'd say cadnium is what he's after,that's the slightly yellow finish to all the nuts and bolts and small fittings on modern bikes,it's just a corrosion protection like zinc.

TLDV8
8th August 2005, 09:00
I thought there was no more Cadmium plating because of the toxic process,so it got replaced by gold passivate (zinc?) as seen on most japanese vehicles these days..it will not go close to withstanding outside corrosion longterm like cadmium did (imho)....... Nickel plating used to be part of the chroming process? Copper/Nickel/Chrome was triple plate..or Nickel plated as some Metisse and other British aftermarket frames?

Ixion
8th August 2005, 12:35
Nickel is shiny, looks like chrome (not quite as shiney). Cadmium is dull, like galvanised. Nickel won't last well in weather unless it has copper under it.

Motu
8th August 2005, 13:04
I thought there was no more Cadmium plating because of the toxic process,so it got replaced by gold passivate (zinc?) as seen on most japanese vehicles these days..it will not go close to withstanding outside corrosion longterm like cadmium did (imho)....... Nickel plating used to be part of the chroming process? Copper/Nickel/Chrome was triple plate..or Nickel plated as some Metisse and other British aftermarket frames?

I didn't know that,although knew cadnium is toxic and will replace zinc in the body.Nickel is slightly yellow,chrome blue,but nickel is porous and so rusts if not kept clean - my Rickman had so many oil leaks it still looked good,my Cheney had been a beach racer and I had to paint the frame.Triple plating was the standard of a quality job,but is considered an extra you have to ask for these days - the consumer again,they want the look,but not to pay for it.Electroplaters who do triple plate as a standard job would be branded as rip off artists fleecing the public....then they would go to Consumers Rights because of the rubbish plating job that was done.

Ixion
8th August 2005, 13:13
I didn't know that,although knew cadnium is toxic and will replace zinc in the body.Nickel is slightly yellow,chrome blue,but nickel is porous and so rusts if not kept clean - my Rickman had so many oil leaks it still looked good,my Cheney had been a beach racer and I had to paint the frame.Triple plating was the standard of a quality job,but is considered an extra you have to ask for these days - the consumer again,they want the look,but not to pay for it.Electroplaters who do triple plate as a standard job would be branded as rip off artists fleecing the public....then they would go to Consumers Rights because of the rubbish plating job that was done.

You have to be real careful welding anything cadmium plated. Makes nasty yellow smoke that is very toxic.And cumulative.

pete376403
8th August 2005, 16:14
Zinc plating does that too - try welding (or even brazing and getting the metal too hot) galvanised steel.

Rincewind
8th August 2005, 18:22
Well thank's for that !!!

Ixion
8th August 2005, 18:34
Zinc plating does that too - try welding (or even brazing and getting the metal too hot) galvanised steel.

Yes indeedy. Though zinc makes nasty WHITE smoke. Cadmium is yellow. If you have to weld it you need to burn the plating off first with acid , then replate it.

Rincewind
8th August 2005, 18:39
You are slightly confused.You can nickel plate or cadmium plate,but nickel cadmium is generally a type of battery.
Nickel plating is what you are after,cadmium plating is similar in appearance and protection to zinc electroplate (inferior to nickel)
Look at WWW.por15.co.nz
The company is Permanent Painted Coatings in Palmerston North an they have a kit in their catalogue: E-Z Nickel Kit about $180
Na I wasn't confused shouldv'e put a forward slash thingy or an "or " between the two words, the important thing is that I got a result though, yet again the brain of the forum whirred into action with some very useful tips and advice. I have e mailed for a catalouge....

Thank's guy's

scumdog
8th August 2005, 19:07

Yeah, and see what it does to your lungs!! And you better get use to drinking lots of milk as part of the treatment.

pete376403
9th August 2005, 17:39
The father of a friend used to build kids playground equipment (jungle gyms, etc) out of galvanised pipe (back in the days when kids were allowed to play on such things.
he spent the short period between retirement and death coughing his lungs out.

Pixie
10th August 2005, 11:40
I'd say cadnium is what he's after,that's the slightly yellow finish to all the nuts and bolts and small fittings on modern bikes,it's just a corrosion protection like zinc.
The yellow or blue tint is due to the chemical passivation method that is applied to zinc and cadmium plate after it is removed from the plating bath.
I think it is a chromate salt treatment.