PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on classic-ish Yammie SR500

GSF
21st September 2012, 10:27
Hi guys,

I am looking at upgrading from the 250 and I am interested in a couple of bikes, one is a 1978 Yamaha SR500.
I currently ride a 250 Bandit, it is a mint little runner but when I want to have a tinker I usually find myself in over my head with twin cams, 16 valves, 4 carbs, radiator etc. and George the motorcycle doctor gets called in.

The SR seems to me like a great bike to learn basic motorcycle mechanics on, air-cooled big single with kickstart. I like the idea of doing a slight cafe job on it too, maybe clip-ons and foot controls, custom seat. I would like to own a classic-style bike and Japanese reliability and metric fasteners are good. :)
Reliability is also a selling point, I may be studying again soon so income could be limited.
It looks like there is lots of documentation (Haynes, workshop manuals) for the SRs and aftermarket parts, which is not true for the Bandit :(

The one I am looking at is a '78 with 21,000km on the clock. From the pictures it looks quite tidy but it's in Christchurch so I can't go view myself. What sort of possible issues could I be looking at with a 30 year old SR and what is a reasonable price range?

Any thoughts or advice from SR owners would be greatly appreciated, regarding performance, parts availability, reliability, possible issues with age/wear :niceone:

EDIT: It's a mag wheel version, with discs front and rear just to clarify.

ktm84mxc
22nd September 2012, 09:21
The Japanese have a cult following of the SR500 and many have been moded into cafe racers , Deux Machina have done plenty in Japan and Auss , you can still buy the SR500 motor new from Yamaha.
A unmolested bike will always be worth more than a moded one.

BMWST?
22nd September 2012, 09:42
i had absolutely no issues with mine but its the only bike i wish i never bought.

FJRider
22nd September 2012, 09:52
Few single cylinder 400-600 cc's will not be a good step up to bigger bike status. And covered in the LAM's list too. I've known a few people with SR500's and had no issues with them. Good around town and long legs on the open road. But good bikes to learn the twisties on ... they can even show up a few "bigger" bikes too (in the twisties)

BMWST?
22nd September 2012, 10:02
Few single cylinder 400-600 cc's will not be a good step up to bigger bike status. And covered in the LAM's list too. I've known a few people with SR500's and had no issues with them. Good around town and long legs on the open road. But good bikes to learn the twisties on ... they can even show up a few "bigger" bikes too (in the twisties)

not on right handers...ground clearance on the right compromised by std exhaust.Was the only bike i ever scraped on a test ride.I should,ve heeded that warning...:stupid:..it become the only bike i crashed through my own stupidity

FJRider
22nd September 2012, 10:12
not on right handers...ground clearance on the right compromised by std exhaust.Was the only bike i ever scraped on a test ride.I should,ve heeded that warning...:stupid:..it become the only bike i crashed through my own stupidity

I try to crash only because of other people's stupidity ... I (sadly) fail too ...

Aftermarket on the singles are a must. The extra 1.56 HP comes in handy too ...

GSF
22nd September 2012, 10:51
I try to crash only because of other people's stupidity ... I (sadly) fail too ...

Aftermarket on the singles are a must. The extra 1.56 HP comes in handy too ...

Yep, a slip-on muffler would be first on the to-do list. I've heard an SR500 with a nice short reverse megaphone and it sounded fantastic. The stocker looks like a lot of dead weight too.

GSF
22nd September 2012, 10:52
i had absolutely no issues with mine but its the only bike i wish i never bought.

No issues sounds good, but I have to ask why you wish you never bought it!

paturoa
22nd September 2012, 11:23
The one I am looking at is a '78 with 21,000km on the clock.

Look it up on carjam and have a look at the distance recordings for warrants. I doubt that there are many 34 year old bikes that have only done 21,000 km.

GSF
22nd September 2012, 11:27
Look it up on carjam and have a look at the distance recordings for warrants. I doubt that there are many 34 year old bikes that have only done 21,000 km.

Yep, you're right. I could make out the rego on the auction photos last night and looked it up, it's actually 100,000km.
I'll definitely see if a Christchurch KBer would be kind enough to go have a squizz/test ride on my behalf to see what sort of shape it's in.

Subike
22nd September 2012, 11:31
I would have thought this one would have been a better deal, and its closer to you.
OK, mileage is heaps higher, but for the age of the bike, I would buy this over the other one.
Reason? probably been better looked after, ridden well, maintained properly by the description .
Than the low mileage one that was not used very much, thus a toy, used on sundays for the weekend ride, not properly run in, Could be a huge can of worms if given a good hard run across the country.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/classic-vintage/auction-514381234.htm

FJRider
22nd September 2012, 11:32
Yep, you're right. I could make out the rego on the auction photos last night and looked it up, it's actually 100,000km.
I'll definitely see if a Christchurch KBer would be kind enough to go have a squizz/test ride on my behalf to see what sort of shape it's in.

Post up a link to it ???

Subike
22nd September 2012, 11:35
I see that you have just checked the mileage, and see the error
Given that the seller has decided not to give the correct mileage
What else could be wrong with this bike that has not been mentioned
A very short description, and the ""you wont find another better than this one. "" statement dies horridly when you look at the other

for you FJ and others wanting to see

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/classic-vintage/auction-514894573.htm

BMWST?
22nd September 2012, 11:38
No issues sounds good, but I have to ask why you wish you never bought it!

It just wasn't as "lightweight" as I thought it was gonna be was a lot slower than my 500 four and not a lot more clickable and poor ground clearance on the right it wasn't the muffler it was actually the header where it clamped onto the muffler

paturoa
22nd September 2012, 11:46

Why do people lie??? Clearly it has done a little more than 21ks!

in your thread starter you said you wanted a reliable bike and to learn some basic mechanics, suspect that you will have to learn some advanced machanics with this bike as it regularly breaks down.

Most of the manufacturers at that time ran overhaed cams directly onto cutouts in the head, these wear a lot and 100ks would be flagging warnings.

I wonder why the photo's have the rain coat bungy corded to the rear guard in the pic.

$4500 is a crazy price!!!!!!

If your after a simpler motor at about $4k what about bikes like these?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-512298384.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/dual-purpose/auction-515450611.htm

Paul in NZ
22nd September 2012, 11:51
latest classic bike mag has a profile on an xt 500... pretty much the same.. read and enjoy

GSF
22nd September 2012, 15:06
I would have thought this one would have been a better deal, and its closer to you.
OK, mileage is heaps higher, but for the age of the bike, I would buy this over the other one.
Reason? probably been better looked after, ridden well, maintained properly by the description .
Than the low mileage one that was not used very much, thus a toy, used on sundays for the weekend ride, not properly run in, Could be a huge can of worms if given a good hard run across the country.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/classic-vintage/auction-514381234.htm

Cheers, that one did not show up last time I searched for SR500s! Can take a quick ride down to check it out, much easier.

It just wasn't as "lightweight" as I thought it was gonna be was a lot slower than my 500 four and not a lot more clickable and poor ground clearance on the right it wasn't the muffler it was actually the header where it clamped onto the muffler

OK, good to know. I've ridden a 2000s model SR400 a few times and really liked it, didn't have the muffler clearance problem as it had an aftermarket muffler and custom made header which was much higher than stock.

in your thread starter you said you wanted a reliable bike and to learn some basic mechanics, suspect that you will have to learn some advanced machanics with this bike as it regularly breaks down.

Most of the manufacturers at that time ran overhaed cams directly onto cutouts in the head, these wear a lot and 100ks would be flagging warnings.

I wonder why the photo's have the rain coat bungy corded to the rear guard in the pic.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-512298384.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/dual-purpose/auction-515450611.htm

Yep, the price is a lot higher than I'd like to pay which is why I was wondering if a Christchurch KBer could have a look to assess condition which would be the main point in negotiating the price if I wanted to buy.
I didn't find the one Subike posted a link to earlier, I'm actually a lot more interested in that one now as it has a lot more detail about the bike and it's only a short ride away from me so I wouldn't have to get it freighted if I want to buy.

I've considered a TRX (really nice bikes!), the Tenere may be a bit too tall for comfort 'cause I'm a shortarse. Main attraction with the SR is size and weight and simplicity (no bodywork, kick-only, etc.) plus I've looked around online and parts are quite easy to come by and not too expensive either.

BMWST?
22nd September 2012, 21:12
bear in mind i am talking about 1978.

The bike just wasnt what i had expected it to be

Edbear
22nd September 2012, 22:08

TRX's are a great bike but do the suspension up and you'll frighten much more powerful bikes on just about any road. I think Two Wheels made a project bike from one and they loved it!

FJRider
22nd September 2012, 22:30
Looks like LAM's approved, bike price expectations ... is going up ...