PDA

View Full Version : DVD Ripping

wkid_one
3rd January 2004, 19:34
On a completely non-bike topic......(sorry - but this is what this forum is for)

WHat software do you use to rip DVD's, what works what doesn't?

Yamahamaman
3rd January 2004, 19:50
But that's illegal isn't it. Called piracy I think :gob:

SpankMe
3rd January 2004, 20:25
Digital digest (http://www.digital-digest.com/) is a good souce of info. It is now possible to get a DVD movie ripped and compressed down to fit on a single CD with little loss of quality.

k14
4th January 2004, 08:54
Here is a good guide that should do the trick
http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41&highlight=dvd+ripping

Just post if you have any problems.

What?
4th January 2004, 19:25
The thing is (to me) that if everyone pirates movies and records, there will be no profit to be made by movie makers and musicians, so the whole recording industry could well collapse. Yes, we are getting ripped off a bit with the price we pay in this country for CD's and DVD's, but at least that price supports the continuation of the industry. Ripping strikes me as selfish, just like the big foreign fishing trawlers raping our resouces.

bungbung
5th January 2004, 07:50
...It is now possible to get a DVD movie ripped and compressed down to fit on a single CD with little loss of quality....

Look into DVD2SVCD, this will rip, convert and burn to CD(s), but the ripping section should work fine.

Gixxer
5th January 2004, 09:11
The thing is (to me) that if everyone pirates movies and records, there will be no profit to be made by movie makers and musicians, so the whole recording industry could well collapse. Yes, we are getting ripped off a bit with the price we pay in this country for CD's and DVD's, but at least that price supports the continuation of the industry. Ripping strikes me as selfish, just like the big foreign fishing trawlers raping our resouces.

I'm with you What? :mad: just rent it or bite the bullet and buy it you cheap bum

Drunken Monkey
5th January 2004, 10:01
Gotta disagree there. Musicians may suffer at the 'cost' of piracy, but only because record companies are cut-throat, shameless and greedy. And much the same goes for the movie industry and software industry. I'm sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for someone who goes "whinge, whinge, we are losing soo much money through piracy", then turns around and makes a statement about how fricken much they are worth. Microsoft, AOL/Time Warner, Virgin and Sony (to name just a few) are still worth truckloads of money - some of them more now than they were ever worth. These companies _can_ afford to price piracy out of the market and still make a profit - they _choose_ not to.
Car manufacturers here stopped whining about used imports and did something abut it (and more major car manufacturers have than major media companies in recent years). They have priced cars like the 350Z and RX-8 cheaper brand new New Zealand cars than 1 year old used imports.

Rip away! Down with THE MAN!
Try this site:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdripping

wkid_one
5th January 2004, 10:24
LOL - who said I am pirating in the first place? This is actually a legitimate reason to do with my partners design work - I just can't be fagged buying the software to do it. There is ample shareware on the market - I just want to know what is the best? Of all the DVD's I own - not one is pirated.

I do agree with Drunken Monkey tho on piracy.

georgedubyabush
5th January 2004, 13:06
From what i've read, the artist in most cases makes feck all off of CD sales anyway. Most revenue is from touring and live shows. Record companies absolutely make monumental profit compared to the artists. Fat Mike from the punk band NOFX, and who owns and runs an independent label Fat Wreck Chords is pretty vocal about this. (Their song 'Dinosaurs must die' is about the major labels).

James Deuce
5th January 2004, 13:47
Man this thread veered left real quick!

Wkid I keep my eye out for free and demo software on the front of PC mags, try them and have on occasion purchased software as a result (mostly music related, but there are heaps of DVD suites appearing now). I tend to find that trying before you buy helps locate something intuitive to use. If I have to RTFM too often it loses my attention.

GW and DM you're right there guys. It costs US18c to produce a finished CD product, logistics, artwork, and recording inclusive. That's an average price of course. The lower the run numbers the more expensive it is. As a musician I've learned (painfully) that there is no such thing as a free anything. Record companies are lenders in regard to their signed acts. All that cash they dish out to musos is lent against potential earnings. If you make no money or trash hotel rooms, you will end up massively in debt fairly quickly. It is unusual for even moderately successful musicians to make a living wage if they sign with major label. Hence the current growth in independent labels and the process of amalgamation the big labels are going through. And the screaming about ripping musos off. The only people losing money is the recording/marketing industry.

Check this link out as a practical alternative:
http://www.baen.com/library/

It works. I spent way more on music when Napster was still going.

wkid_one
5th January 2004, 18:02
Man this thread veered left real quick!

Wkid I keep my eye out for free and demo software on the front of PC mags, try them and have on occasion purchased software as a result (mostly music related, but there are heaps of DVD suites appearing now). I tend to find that trying before you buy helps locate something intuitive to use. If I have to RTFM too often it loses my attention.

Umm - if I am too cheap to buy the software - the same probably goes for the pc mags. Why spend $10-20 on a magazine full of ads and computer gear I could never afford?

James Deuce
5th January 2004, 18:08
Umm - if I am too cheap to buy the software - the same probably goes for the pc mags. Why spend $10-20 on a magazine full of ads and computer gear I could never afford?

Umm I think a PM is in order ;)

wkid_one
5th January 2004, 18:14
Umm I think a PM is in order ;)

email betta - wkid_one@xtra.co.nz

What?
6th January 2004, 18:58
I do agree with Drunken Monkey tho on piracy.
OK - just to be a little, umm, different, I do not feel quite the same about software. I wanted the same software bundle I use at work for home... until I saw the price! ($960-ish). Then I think "If I could buy that package for, say, $200, Bill would still be the richest man in the world and there would be no piracy".

Motu
7th January 2004, 07:26
There was never this hue and cry when cassete tapes came out,I mean,who didn't tape an LP? same with videos,taping a movie is the whole point isn't it? I think DAT was stopped from getting to the general public though.