PDA

View Full Version : New Wheel bearings

justsomeguy
7th August 2005, 17:25
I believe I need new rear wheel bearings for my ZZR250.

Are these an easy item to replace or is it better to get a shop to do it??

How much do bearings cost, where in Auckland do you recommend and how long do they take to replace (labour charges)??

Thanks for any advice.

JSG

curious george
7th August 2005, 17:31
It's very easy to get new wheel bearings.
Take it to the shop, if booked, I'd imagine they could do it in about 30mins-1hr?
*Point of opinion*-make sure they swap BOTH sides (or all bearings) even if "the left one felt ok, so we left it...)

It's not hard to to do yourself either. Once you have all tools and parts, allow 2 hrs if you haven't done it before.
Ring Nachi or Saeco (yellowpages) and quote the bearing code you will find on the side of your bearing. Should cost about $10-$15 each iirc...
You need a malet and a drift (big fuckoff piece of metal spike) and just bash 'em out.
DO NOT BASH THE NEW ONES IN! Never hit the inside of your new bearing, gently tap the outside untill it has reached home.
Most Clymer or Haynes manuals explain it very well, and have pics too.
If you can't find the manual for your bike, the next closest to it will describe the principle...
Have fun

k14
7th August 2005, 17:34
Do it yourself, pretty easy. Just need the tools to get your rear wheel out and then a punch to get the old bearing out. When I did it for my CBR250 it cost me around $15 per bearing from the bearing place, can't remember the name, look in the yellow pages and that was all I needed to buy. Get your current bearings out of the wheel and take them into the bearing place for replacements.

Timewise it would take you probably 2 or so hours, but a mechanic should be able to do it in 30 mins.

justsomeguy
7th August 2005, 17:37
It's very easy to get new wheel bearings.

OK thanks and how do I do this??

sAsLEX
7th August 2005, 17:43
OK thanks and how do I do this??

you ask someone to look at them to see if they will last till the next spanner evening! then buy your bearings and take them along!

justsomeguy
7th August 2005, 17:45
you ask someone to look at them to see if they will last till the next spanner evening! then buy your bearings and take them along!

I've asked erik and loosebruce and they both reckon they should have been changed ages before.....

Or could it be that my new tyres (2 weeks/500ks ago) were not put on properly??

SixPackBack
7th August 2005, 17:51
Don't even think about it JSG.....take it to the shop.
I am an Engineering Manager, and i would not service my own bikes. Unless you have full workshop facilities [you don't].Service manual [?]. A predispostion towards mechanical tinkering [ the fact you have to ask sez no]. And perhaps most importantly a death wish if it goes wrong, screams to meTake it to the shop

justsomeguy
7th August 2005, 17:55
I am an Engineering Manager, and i would not service my own bikes. Unless you have full workshop facilities [you don't].Service manual [?]. A predispostion towards mechanical tinkering [ the fact you have to ask sez no]. And perhaps most importantly a death wish if it goes wrong, screams to meTake it to the shop

Ok Mr. A - I hear you loud and clear. Will also listen to you :yes: and give ol' Kerry or Trevor a ring....

justsomeguy
7th August 2005, 17:58
Do it yourself, pretty easy. Just need the tools to get your rear wheel out and then a punch to get the old bearing out. When I did it for my CBR250 it cost me around $15 per bearing from the bearing place, can't remember the name, look in the yellow pages and that was all I needed to buy. Get your current bearings out of the wheel and take them into the bearing place for replacements.

Timewise it would take you probably 2 or so hours, but a mechanic should be able to do it in 30 mins.

Now what do mean per bearing?? I'm absolutely cluless - need educating.

30 mins?? So that would be like $30 and another $30 for the bearings....so that'd be bout $60??

curious george
7th August 2005, 18:05
Erm... I'd quietly second that in this case...

FROSTY
7th August 2005, 18:07
with a bike like yours changing the wheel bearings is an easy job.
Get a fuck off big sledge hammer and hit the back rim really really hard.
Once you have removed the entire rear wheel give henty at takinini a yell and he will supply you a wheel with good bearings in it :devil2: :devil2:
Are ya sure the bearings are fucked ? could it be a fucked chain/sprockets

justsomeguy
7th August 2005, 18:12
with a bike like yours changing the wheel bearings is an easy job.
Get a fuck off big sledge hammer and hit the back rim really really hard.
Once you have removed the entire rear wheel give henty at takinini a yell and he will supply you a wheel with good bearings in it :devil2: :devil2:
Are ya sure the bearings are fucked ? could it be a fucked chain/sprockets

Rear wheel moves up and down and left and right when you hold it in your hands and try to shift it about.

Dont know about my chain and sprockets.... sprockets have a slight wear on them maybe 2mm of the U between two points is skewed.

LB also feels it's the bearings....

FROSTY
7th August 2005, 18:56
seriously --remove rear wheel from the bike.remove sprocket.
sqirt a line of crc or similar around the outer rim of both bearings
go inside and have a cup of tea.
remove the first bearing by tapping through the axle spacer -dont worry about damaging the bearing-it will be hard to get out but the crc will make it come out a tadd easier. carefully note the position of any spacers between the bearings
clean up both bearings and take them to saeco bearings to match em up
keep the old bearings
a thin smear of grease around the outer edge of the new bearings will make them easier to fit.
get a socket that has an ID the same as the ID of the outer ring
push the first bearing into the beginnning of its mounting ring then use the socket and a hammer to tap the bearing into place -make sure its gone fully home.
Flip the wheel over and put all the spacers in the gap.
now tap the bearing into place and refit the wheel

justsomeguy
7th August 2005, 19:30
seriously --remove rear wheel from the bike.remove sprocket.
sqirt a line of crc or similar around the outer rim of both bearings
go inside and have a cup of tea.
remove the first bearing by tapping through the axle spacer -dont worry about damaging the bearing-it will be hard to get out but the crc will make it come out a tadd easier. carefully note the position of any spacers between the bearings
clean up both bearings and take them to saeco bearings to match em up
keep the old bearings
a thin smear of grease around the outer edge of the new bearings will make them easier to fit.
get a socket that has an ID the same as the ID of the outer ring
push the first bearing into the beginnning of its mounting ring then use the socket and a hammer to tap the bearing into place -make sure its gone fully home.
Flip the wheel over and put all the spacers in the gap.
now tap the bearing into place and refit the wheel

Thanks big T....

Uh I assume hub bearnings are the same as wheel bearings, as they are called hub bearnings in the manual.

I think since it's the first time I'll get Kerry or Trevor to do it and learn by looking at them.....

Lots of little bits and bobs and checks required ... especially the checking for roughness and binding, cleaning them with compressed air and the fact that I don't want to be playing with these crucial parts of my bike ......especially as 99% of my riding is out in the country in the middle of nowhere

Dadpole
7th August 2005, 22:34
especially the checking for roughness and binding, cleaning them with compressed air

Please tell me you will not clean a bearing with compressed air. If you do so be careful. I once saw someone spin up a bearing and drop it. Went around the workshop like a bullet. Pissed myself laughing as I legged it out the door.

justsomeguy
7th August 2005, 22:37
especially the checking for roughness and binding, cleaning them with compressed air

Please tell me you will not clean a bearing with compressed air. If you do so be careful. I once saw someone spin up a bearing and drop it. Went around the workshop like a bullet. Pissed myself laughing as I legged it out the door.

Nope - I'm gonna let Kerry do it - he's been doing such stuff since before I was born and he's one of the best at what he does.

Milky
7th August 2005, 23:04

how about a couple of kilo of billet in a lathe coming adrift at 1000+ rpm.... Not pretty I imagine

username
7th August 2005, 23:26
Wheel bearings are a really easy job to replace.You aren't a real bike rider unless you can rebuild your bike yourself.

justsomeguy
7th August 2005, 23:36
Wheel bearings are a really easy job to replace.You aren't a real bike rider unless you can rebuild your bike yourself.

I see, you offering to come show me how to do it?

username
7th August 2005, 23:40
I'm not sure that it would help you fix your bike.

Juan
8th August 2005, 05:21
Put the bearing in the freezer overnight before you do the job, oh and wear some rubber gloves so they won't "stick" to you, as cold as you probably know makes things smaller.... therefore much easier to put in, keep the wheel warm as well.....against a radiator ....

BE GENTLE WITH BEARING......It will go in....

scumdog
8th August 2005, 08:59

Use to do that with mates (when I was younger) in an industrial area, we let the bearings go up a straight piece of road at night - and watched them spark as they skipped and bounced off into the distance.
NOT really a sensible/safe thing to do :no:

Dadpole
8th August 2005, 22:58
Amazing the entertainment we had in our younger days! All good clean fun, and back then nobody (that mattered) got hurt. You young whipper-snappers don't know the fun of low budget entertainment. mumble mumble mumble :no:

John
8th August 2005, 23:35
Amazing the entertainment we had in our younger days! All good clean fun, and back then nobody (that mattered) got hurt. You young whipper-snappers don't know the fun of low budget entertainment. mumble mumble mumble :no:
I just spent 5 hours playing with a snail, although I guess that will be taxed up.

Dadpole
9th August 2005, 00:10
You win. I only hope the snail was of age and consenting. :whistle:

loosebruce
9th August 2005, 00:39
JSG, best bet is to take your wheel out and take it too a shop (saves the shop taking the wheel off, saves you labour $$$), find out what bearings you need, and get them from - Saeco, SKF and the likes, way cheaper than buying OE, way cheaper. Give the shop the wheel and bearings and say put em in.

If you get the bearings and take the wheel off and bring it round i'll do it for ya, if ya haven't already got it done. It's and easy job and takes no more than 10-15mins.

justsomeguy
9th August 2005, 00:49
JSG, best bet is to take your wheel out and take it too a shop (saves the shop taking the wheel off, saves you labour $$$), find out what bearings you need, and get them from - Saeco, SKF and the likes, way cheaper than buying OE, way cheaper. Give the shop the wheel and bearings and say put em in.

If you get the bearings and take the wheel off and bring it round i'll do it for ya, if ya haven't already got it done. It's and easy job and takes no more than 10-15mins.

Seriously?? Cheers mate.....:not::not::not::not:

I'll figure out how to remove the wheel and get it round to your place. Will probably start ringing round for a place that has the bearings in stock. Right now I have my bike or my shoes for transport....so will probably ride to your place and get the wheel off then.

You sure you have the time??

loosebruce
9th August 2005, 01:19
Yeah i work fuck all now, it's cool to bring the bike round, wont take long at all, make sure you know what bearing size you are after before ringing SKF and the likes, if you ring them and ask for a wheel bearing for 90 ZZR250 they wont know what the hell you're on about, ring someone who deals in Kawka parts, you'll need to know the inner, outer and width diemensions when asking SKF etc so find them out first, i have time during the week days, and have Mon, Tues, Thurs nights off, i guess there's time in the weekend but thats riding time and spending time with the missus to keep her sane (what a mission that is), so i'd rather not do it then.

justsomeguy
9th August 2005, 01:36
Yeah i work fuck all now, it's cool to bring the bike round, wont take long at all, make sure you know what bearing size you are after before ringing SKF and the likes, if you ring them and ask for a wheel bearing for 90 ZZR250 they wont know what the hell you're on about, ring someone who deals in Kawka parts, you'll need to know the inner, outer and width diemensions when asking SKF etc so find them out first, i have time during the week days, and have Mon, Tues, Thurs nights off, i guess there's time in the weekend but thats riding time and spending time with the missus to keep her sane (what a mission that is), so i'd rather not do it then.

Ok so will try to get it to your place by tomorrow night if I get the parts. I'll phone old Red Barons - Tony usually is good with finding stuff and Yugi reads Japanese so he can decipher the intelligent looking bits in the manual.

Pixie
9th August 2005, 01:36
Seriously?? Cheers mate.....:not::not::not::not:

I'll figure out how to remove the wheel and get it round to your place. Will probably start ringing round for a place that has the bearings in stock. Right now I have my bike or my shoes for transport....so will probably ride to your place and get the wheel off then.

You sure you have the time??
If you are near Henderson go to A&E Bearings at 80 Henderson Valley rd The guy there gives good discounts to bikers

justsomeguy
9th August 2005, 01:37
If you are near Henderson go to A&E Bearings at 80 Henderson Valley rd The guy there gives good discounts to bikers

Thanks Pixie. Will give them a call.

justsomeguy
9th August 2005, 16:12
OK - so I hear there are three wheel bearings. Do I need to buy all three new?? Or only two new or what??

URGENT ANSWER NEEDED PLEASE. I'm off to the shops soon.

Ixion
9th August 2005, 16:34
OK - so I hear there are three wheel bearings. Do I need to buy all three new?? Or only two new or what??

URGENT ANSWER NEEDED PLEASE. I'm off to the shops soon.
Always replace bearings in sets.

Pixie
10th August 2005, 11:48
Always replace bearings in sets.
And they won't necessarily be the same type( 2 or 3 different ones in the same hub)