PDA

View Full Version : A 750km weekend

Hitcher
7th August 2005, 17:29
Yesterday (Saturday 6 August) we woke to the alarm clock. Hates it she does, my precious. And by 9:00am we were away.

To Wanganui, for lunch. What a cracking good day. One of those perfect-morning-after-a-frost sort of days. Six degrees in the shadows and about eight degrees in the sun. Definitely heated-hand-grips-on conditions.

Despite the early start, the traffic up the coast ground turgidly onwards. Even the Levin by-pass didn't help. Just north of Levin we caught a stream of traffic behind a truck carrying some unusual cannisters and didn't get clear of all of that shite until the Himatangi turnoff!

We basked in the sun at Bulls whilst supping a coffee, and basked some more outside the old Post Office on the main street of Wanganui as we consumed a most excellent lunch. Despite numerous and aggressive judderbars, the boi racers of Wangavegas do endless laps up and down the main drag while the young girls of this fair city loiter in that way only trailer trash can manage. But I digress...

After gassing up, we were off on the back road to Fordell and then through to Hunterville. A terrific road with great scenery. If you find gravel, you've gone the wrong way... It's 62km from Wanganui to Hunterville on this road. No traffic, so if you want to cane it there's little risk of meeting other traffic apart from slow-moving tractors and Landcruisers (in their proper environment). But why hurry? The views are amazing.

From Hunterville we legalled up SH1 to the Vinegar Hill road turnoff and then took that most delightful of roads down to Cheltenham. Beautifully sunny and no wind anywhere.

And then on to Ashhurst. Here the wind picked up. Bloody windmills! An easterly. The ride through the Gorge was blustery and we turned off over the Ballance Bridge and headed down to Pahiatua for more gas.

By now the wind had dropped appreciably and we had a great run down through the Wairarapa for a late afternoon coffee stop at Greytown. The riding conditions over the Takas were near perfect and we arrived home at about 6:00pm. Fantastic!

Today's excursion was over to Martinborough for a coffee and brunch at the Fush.

While heading up the motorway we were overrun by about 50 bikes, all of which stopped at Caltex Rimutaka. After a top-up we left first but were soon overtaken by many of these bikes on our way to Featherston. I suspect this was the monthly TSS outing. While the standard of riding and courtesy to other road users was better than other mass rides I have observed, there were still a few examples of crass silliness on offer -- passing on blind corners, streams of lemmings passing on blind corners and double-yellow lines. And bikers wonder why car drivers and legislators don't like them...

Martinborough had attracted a few goodly handfulls of bikers at its assorted hostelries and it was good to catch up with some familiar faces.

From there we sortied down to Lake Ferry, before returning to Featherston via the East-by-West Road.

500km on Saturday and 250km today. Excellent fun in the sun!

soundbeltfarm
7th August 2005, 20:49
sounds a good ride.
good write up

Uncle B
7th August 2005, 21:24
With the weekend weather we've just had you can almost smell summer in the air.
Great write up, wish I had taken better advantage of the mild conditions.

Roll on summer and long hours in the saddle.

LB
8th August 2005, 06:39
A great write-up!

I've been stuck in bed all weekend with a second dose of the bloody flu in a month.

Hamish said he'd bumped into you and Jane at Martinborough yesterday.

It was torture on Saturday lying in bed knowing what the weather was like outside. Hamish tootled off for the day with the e-riders. Took some photos along the way just to show me that the blue sky extended somewhat beyond Wellington

On another note altogether Mr Hitcher, have you seen the Kawasaki vs Suzuki new posting? A young lady is keen to know about 800 Marauders vs W650's.

skelstar
8th August 2005, 09:11
Excellent weekend.
I was a part of the 50 bike maul over the hill on Sunday. The difference was that I was at the tailend of that bunch (only saw them twice) and managed to loose them. How do you lose 50 bikes I hear you ask? I do share your sentiments though :). Im just hoping my next trip over the hill is a more involving one.

Aaron717
8th August 2005, 11:17
I also saw the 50 bike convoy going over the taka's (i was on my way back) looked quiet impressive :clap:

Az

skelstar
8th August 2005, 11:21
I also saw the 50 bike convoy going over the taka's (i was on my way back) looked quiet impressive :clap:
Az
Yeah, its my first ride with any other bike so I was impressed. Was at the back of the pack at the first set of lights at Melling. Was quite awe inspiring as more the threequarters of the bikes were over 1000cc (well its seemed like it). I want a louder exhaust after that experience! :)

Eurygnomes
8th August 2005, 15:41
I heard about the TSS bike ride, and considered it momentarily before remembering I was in Paraparaumu - and there weren't no way Jose I'd be making it across the hills to meet y'all at Caltex station by 9am or whenever it was! Heck no...

Thanks for the write-up Hitcher. Wangavegas is itching for a trailer park don't you think?! (no personal offense intended to those lucky enough to be from the Wangas - I know several and they're all nice people - just...well...so much 'trash'...!!)

Hailwood
9th August 2005, 13:56
I too was in that group...good ride but there were only 38 bikes in the TSS ride..not 50 although there were some other riders heading the same way as us so i am not sure whether the idiots mentioned by Hitcher were part of the ride group or just some random fools...was one of the best turnouts i have been with..I agree with Skelstar..the sound at the Melling lights was pretty impressive....everything from FXr150 to CB1300....don't forget folks..meet at TSS 1st sunday of month at 9.30am and leaves just after 10am..good roads, good people..lots of fun