PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

Coyote
7th August 2005, 18:46
Been wondering whether I should sell the CBR before I (completely) annihilate it ruining any resale value, and get another bike. I had a talk with Dad asking if I could sell it for a RGV250 and a RG150, cause this way I could have a separate race bike (RG150) and a road bike that I could also race later on (RGV250). Dad said no to this as he considered it unfair for me to have 2 bikes (despite my brother having the 80 and a near new KX125). So, I'm left with these options:
-Keep CBR, going to cost a bit of money to get it in good enough condition to sell (needs new tank, muffler and RH crankcase cover)
-Sell CBR for an RGV, bike is faster (and I'm a speed freak)
-Sell CBR for a RG, less expensive if I annihilate it, which I'm likely to do
and:
-Quit racing or
-Quit riding on road

Any extra money I make resulting from my decision will go towards my brother.

So what do you reckon?

ZorsT
7th August 2005, 19:06
CBR's have more low down power than a RG150 (JB and I went for a ride yesterday and at 110 i pinned it going uphill in top and he was still pulling away, i wasn't in powerband yet tho, he has a 91? CBR) So i dunno , an RG might be be a step down... But then again, if the RG is in powerband, only it sliding down the road :whistle: :brick: :o is going to slow it down. Hard decision for sure. How about getting a job to pay for an RG, and trading your CBR for an RGV-250. Your brother wouldn't mind if you EARNT the 2nd bike yourself. Hope it helps :)

SPORK
7th August 2005, 20:12
I'll buy your RG, GASL! :)

Coyote
7th August 2005, 21:35
Anyone know where you can get the latest RGV250? Tried looking on the net for them, can't find anywhere that has one for sale

http://www.rgv.ru/img/History/1996_RGV250SP_Gamma_250.jpg
http://www.rgv.ru/img/History/1997_RGV250gamma_250.jpg

Guess the ones in Japan are still being used and aren't being imported over here yet

Squiggles
8th August 2005, 08:06
get an rgv :yes: (biased opinion i know :D )

bugjuice
8th August 2005, 09:24
RGV250 kicks the arse off CBR250s.. I know this with my bro having an RGV and I having the CBR.. I found the CBR liked corners way better then the RGV, but when I've said this, I have mostly been told that the RGV is also meant to love corners too, so it must have been set up wrong. Any 2 stroke 250 is gonna fly..

Jonty
8th August 2005, 13:43
It does really sound like you need two bikes, one nice example for the road (ZX6R CBR GSXR etc) and one that can recieve a thrashing at the track (whcih it sounds liek you already have). Personally I would spend the bare minimum on the CBR to get it to track condition and start saving for a nice 600 don't bother with another 250. Of course this may mean you have to hold off on road riding for a little while but it will probably be the better option in the long run.

ZorsT
8th August 2005, 16:12
I'll buy your RG, GASL! :)
when I'm done with it, I'll PM you. I warn you though, there won't be much unscratched fairing left by the time i upgrade :)

SPORK
8th August 2005, 16:20
when I'm done with it, I'll PM you. I warn you though, there won't be much unscratched fairing left by the time i upgrade :)
Haha, at least I won't feel bad about thrashing it then turning it into a track bike then!

PS: What sort of ballpark figure are you thinking of? :D

Zed
8th August 2005, 16:41
...if I annihilate it, which I'm likely to do
and:You mentioned "annihilation" several times in your opening address, why do you think this is likely? :weird:

ZorsT
8th August 2005, 16:44
Haha, at least I won't feel bad about thrashing it then turning it into a track bike then!

PS: What sort of ballpark figure are you thinking of? :D
depends on if i need to do engine work and get rid of the rust... or how many more scratches there are...

crash harry
8th August 2005, 16:50
Trade for a Random Grenade Vehicle, one in roughish condition, and rebuild the engine. It's not hard, not many parts to a stroker. You should fit bigger powervalve pins if it's a pre '95 model (info at http://www.rgv250.co.uk/) to stop them from breaking.

Also, you'll want to get the race ignition module. Bang's em up to around 70bhp or so I'm told. Check the site above for pretty much all you need to know about the things.

I nearly bought one a while back for road riding, but I think they need a bit much maitenance (sp?) for commuting every day on. Supposed to be a great racebike though.

texmo
8th August 2005, 17:07
Bah nosense I have had my vesta for ages now even when I sezied it on the southwestern motorway (and it spat me off at about 130km/hr) I still rode it every day to work 30mins each way and never had a problem didnt even replace the rings...

Squiggles
8th August 2005, 17:51
Also, you'll want to get the race ignition module. Bang's em up to around 70bhp or so I'm told.

ooh, dont suppose you know if you can get them for earlier ones than 95...say 89 ;)

Ixion
8th August 2005, 18:30
Bah nosense I have had my vesta for ages now even when I sezied it on the southwestern motorway (and it spat me off at about 130km/hr) I still rode it every day to work 30mins each way and never had a problem didnt even replace the rings...

Does this mean you are a vestal virgin ? :rofl: :motu:

HCW
8th August 2005, 18:39
Mate, you should buy my NSR250 mc28. 2 bikes for the price of 1/2 of one. See the for sale list for details

SPORK
8th August 2005, 19:03
Mate, you should buy my NSR250 mc28. 2 bikes for the price of 1/2 of one. See the for sale list for details
How would you compare an NSR to a CBR in terms of rideability?

Coyote
8th August 2005, 21:40
I'm going to (try to) get my restricted (again) on the CBR, then forget about road riding for a while and race it instead. I'm applying for a job now, so hopefully I'll get it and be able to save up for a cheap commuter off trademe to get around the place instead and don't need to buy insurance for. Then whatever money I make will either go to running the bikes or save up for a 600 supersport/motard

You mentioned "annihilation" several times in your opening address, why do you think this is likely?
Those that were there in round one when I crashed twice would understand.

HCW
9th August 2005, 18:27
NSR is faster. CBR probably have better bottom end power. The NSR has a Swipe card instead of a key. I prefer the 2-strokes but each to their own i supose,

inlinefour
9th August 2005, 18:36
Been wondering whether I should sell the CBR before I (completely) annihilate it ruining any resale value, and get another bike. I had a talk with Dad asking if I could sell it for a RGV250 and a RG150, cause this way I could have a separate race bike (RG150) and a road bike that I could also race later on (RGV250). Dad said no to this as he considered it unfair for me to have 2 bikes (despite my brother having the 80 and a near new KX125). So, I'm left with these options:
-Keep CBR, going to cost a bit of money to get it in good enough condition to sell (needs new tank, muffler and RH crankcase cover)
-Sell CBR for an RGV, bike is faster (and I'm a speed freak)
-Sell CBR for a RG, less expensive if I annihilate it, which I'm likely to do
and:
-Quit racing or
-Quit riding on road

Any extra money I make resulting from my decision will go towards my brother.

So what do you reckon?

Why go backwards, keep the Honda :devil2: