PDA

View Full Version : Discuss this photo

tbs
30th September 2012, 21:14
Heading home to Auckland on the Southern Motorway this afternoon, and ended up sitting behind this rider for quite some time. Got my wife to snap a photo for you.

nzspokes
30th September 2012, 21:18
You need to clean your windscreen and use the zoom function?

Jantar
30th September 2012, 21:19
So many things wrong. Like riding where the driver can't see him/her in their rear view mirror; riding where grip is likely to less, following to close with no escape route; carrying a load attached to the body rather than to the bike.

But is wearing Hi Vis even if you do have to look hard to se it.

Berg
30th September 2012, 21:20
Hope he/she has super fast reactions:shit: Tailgating and blind to anything going down ahead:weird:

onearmedbandit
30th September 2012, 21:23
Altezza with aftermarket windscreen washer jets?

But seriously, tailgating in an incorrect lane position.

Matariki
30th September 2012, 21:23
At least he/she is wearing hi-viz :facepalm:

caspernz
30th September 2012, 21:25
Let's see...the hiviz negates the need for a safe following distance? Or the need to look at the road ahead for himself?

Ah noooo, the hiviz is covering up a Superman outfit maybe?? :Punk:

tbs
30th September 2012, 21:25
You need to clean your windscreen and use the zoom function?

My poxy old iphone 4doesn't have a zoom... I guess I could have tailgated to get a better shot.

Hope he/she has super fast reactions:shit: Tailgating and blind to anything going down ahead:weird:

She.... and a lot of the time she was both closer to the truck in front and further left.:facepalm:

tbs
30th September 2012, 21:27
Altezza with aftermarket windscreen washer jets?

But seriously, tailgating in an incorrect lane position.

Half right.... The bonnet bulge and rather distinct gold colour gives it away? The jets are OEM though.

madandy
30th September 2012, 21:34
She may believe drafting saves fuel and allows a higher, less stressed cruising speed and that's important enough to her to throw caution to the wind :laugh:

Road kill
30th September 2012, 21:47
Soon to be statistic if they keep that up.

McFatty1000
30th September 2012, 21:53
Half right.... The bonnet bulge and rather distinct gold colour gives it away? The jets are OEM though.

Haha, that was my guess of car too... nice OEM jets btw

What sort of bike was it?

onearmedbandit
30th September 2012, 22:29

Yup, sold plenty of them. Never noticed the washer jets before, but then again it's not something you would use as a selling feature.

Brett
30th September 2012, 22:57
It's like the rider I sat behind up the overtaking lane on Whitford road up to the intersection with Point View Drive (many auckland locals will know this one well...a great sweeper). Rider on an older Honda sportsbike maybe 1980 something? (had 4 exhausts??) overtook a very slow car up the overtaking lane...but changed lines about 4 times through the corner...looked very unstable. Was pouring smoke out of the exhausts too. It's a sad state of affairs if I was sitting behind it held up in my dirty 1996 diesel Prado. If you're a KB-er...heads up, you might want to work on corner lines a little bit. That shit will see you crashing.

tbs
30th September 2012, 23:53
Yup, sold plenty of them. Never noticed the washer jets before, but then again it's not something you would use as a selling feature.

Off topic of course, but the Altezza (wagon in my case) has been an absolutely superb car.

As for the bike in the photo.... I didn't recognize the model. Looked like an adventure bike of some sort... maybe a 400.

Maha
1st October 2012, 05:46
Vehicle breaks and rider is fucked, its not like its a Kenworth.

FJRider
1st October 2012, 06:56
Vehicle breaks and rider is fucked, its not like its a Kenworth.

Did you notice the closeness of the car ...TWO cars in front of the bike. If IT brakes ... things turn to shit real quickly ...

And the biker can't see it, or it's brake lights ... so has no idea what it's doing.

Swoop
1st October 2012, 08:27
Hi-Viz being worn = Perfectly safe.

MystikEagle
1st October 2012, 08:57
I think that a defensive riding course may be needed...? And possibly defensive driving for the car infront also...

Lozza2442
1st October 2012, 12:04
Perhaps she took the rode code too literally and applied it to everything? :laugh:

"It is essential to keep left, because if you don't you are likely to cause a head-on crash. This is one of the worst types of crash, as it almost always results in death or severe injury."

tbs
1st October 2012, 12:32
I wouldn't follow this vehicle at all. Too hard to see what happening in front of it even if you are hanging back. I'd just go around and find my own bit of road to ride in.

Maha
1st October 2012, 12:33
Why the bike is there in the first place has to be questioned?....the outside lane seems to be the better place to be.

Drew
1st October 2012, 12:37
It's like the rider I sat behind up the overtaking lane on Whitford road up to the intersection with Point View Drive (many auckland locals will know this one well...a great sweeper). Rider on an older Honda sportsbike maybe 1980 something? (had 4 exhausts??) overtook a very slow car up the overtaking lane...but changed lines about 4 times through the corner...looked very unstable. Was pouring smoke out of the exhausts too. It's a sad state of affairs if I was sitting behind it held up in my dirty 1996 diesel Prado. If you're a KB-er...heads up, you might want to work on corner lines a little bit. That shit will see you crashing.Short list of bikes came out with four pipes. Only two Hondas that I can think of, 'CB fours' as it turns out.

However, are you sure it wasa Honda? Because I can think of a couple two strokes that run four pipes, and having ridden some of those mongrels, they tend to change line of their own free fuckin will, no moatter what you do with the bars! Can't wait to find a semi complete GT750 water bottle to buy!

Drew
1st October 2012, 12:38
Anyway, back to the picture. Clearly she is being towed, dunno what you cunts problem is.

tbs
1st October 2012, 13:47
Anyway, back to the picture. Clearly she is being towed, dunno what you cunts problem is.

Honestly that crossed my mind while following, she was that close. That lane was tooling along at about 90-95. I was in it because I had my wife, kids, and associated luggage in the car and my gsx-r on a trailer behind me.

baffa
1st October 2012, 14:01
My poxy old iphone 4doesn't have a zoom... I guess I could have tailgated to get a better shot.
:

Your Iphones do have a digital zoom. Not ideal but would help in this case.

As for the photo, shes clearly not close enough!

tbs
1st October 2012, 14:10
Your Iphones do have a digital zoom. Not ideal but would help in this case.

As for the photo, shes clearly not close enough!

Oh, so it does.... I did not know that. Thanks.

FJRider
1st October 2012, 16:56
I used my computer zoom ... :shifty:

Road kill
1st October 2012, 17:04
Short list of bikes came out with four pipes. Only two Hondas that I can think of, 'CB fours' as it turns out.

However, are you sure it wasa Honda? Because I can think of a couple two strokes that run four pipes, and having ridden some of those mongrels, they tend to change line of their own free fuckin will, no moatter what you do with the bars! Can't wait to find a semi complete GT750 water bottle to buy!

There's one on Trade me right now.

Only $15,000.

Drew
1st October 2012, 17:17
There's one on Trade me right now.

Only $15,000.

No point in getting a minter. It'll be getting decent suspension and wheels, and a set of chambers and flat slide carbs.

Losing any real value it might or might not have.

Akzle
1st October 2012, 18:38
aucklanders are fucking stupid.
BUT, that's probably the only part of the bighorn's rear window that the asian/islander/stereotypical fag who drives a bighorn in town can actually see out of, what, with the ladder to get onto the roof tray and all...
BUT he's way too close to dodge anything if SHTF.

Drew
1st October 2012, 19:16
BUT, that's probably the only part of the bighorn's rear window that the asian/islander/stereotypical fag who drives a bighorn in town can actually see out of, what, with the ladder to get onto the roof tray and all...
Look at you writing all responsible and shit. Have a doobie man, you'll come right.

Brett
1st October 2012, 22:17
Short list of bikes came out with four pipes. Only two Hondas that I can think of, 'CB fours' as it turns out.

No, it definitely wasn't a CB400...it was a faired bike, and not one I am familiar with (not that my pre-90's bike knowledge is anything to behold). The rear faring had a similar shape to the NC30 vfr400.
It had two coming out the sides like the CB400 does, and two under the sub-frame/tail end. It didn't sound like a two smoker, but then I was inside a 4x4 with the stereo blaring...so human error in hearing likely to be very high. (Also had piss poor acceleration, but could have been tuning given it was pumping out smoke).

Coolz
2nd October 2012, 00:13

It's hard to judge distance from a photo with poor depth of field. I think it's her bad lane position, with limited visability and no escape route, that will lead to her undoing should SHTF.

Drew
2nd October 2012, 05:42
No, it definitely wasn't a CB400...it was a faired bike, and not one I am familiar with (not that my pre-90's bike knowledge is anything to behold). The rear faring had a similar shape to the NC30 vfr400.
It had two coming out the sides like the CB400 does, and two under the sub-frame/tail end. It didn't sound like a two smoker, but then I was inside a 4x4 with the stereo blaring...so human error in hearing likely to be very high. (Also had piss poor acceleration, but could have been tuning given it was pumping out smoke).Two under the seat and lots of smoke.

RG400/500

RZ500

Or a home made effort on the pipes.

All I can think of. Those old two bangers don't start sounding like two strokes till they're screaming, and if he was bogging it down in teh revs it wouldn't out accelerate a Hyobag250

Akzle
6th October 2012, 04:58
It's hard to judge distance from a photo with poor depth of field. I think it's her bad lane position, with limited visability and no escape route, that will lead to her undoing should SHTF.

mmmmbollox. you some kind of faux-tographer ?
(made that one up by myself :))

teh bike's shadow is (thereabouts) between white lines.
the big-horny's shadow is betwist the next white lines.
them lines are, what, 1.2-1.5 m long?

it's okay. he's wearin hi-vis!

(OP, got a higher res. pic we can get CSI on?)

huff3r
6th October 2012, 15:43

Having driven a Bighorn, she is fucked either way. Can't see shit out the back past that damn spare wheel!

Only safe place would be far right so as to be seen in the side mirror (if they even use them :facepalm:) or in front!

tbs
8th October 2012, 10:52

I'm an Aucklander Akzle. Am I fucking stupid?

mmmmbollox. you some kind of faux-tographer ?
(made that one up by myself :))

teh bike's shadow is (thereabouts) between white lines.
the big-horny's shadow is betwist the next white lines.
them lines are, what, 1.2-1.5 m long?

it's okay. he's wearin hi-vis!

(OP, got a higher res. pic we can get CSI on?)

Here are the highest res I can do..... Original photo with the exposure lightened right up, and heavily cropped.

Akzle
13th October 2012, 18:29
I'm an Aucklander Akzle. Am I fucking stupid?

i wouldn't admit to that in public... :banana:

but no, you are forgiven that sin, a'cause you have a badass motorbike
(i'll forgive you.. jesus might not)

haydes55
13th October 2012, 18:36
Can't a biker get out of the wind and into a slipstream without being hassled?

:bleh:

duckonin
13th October 2012, 18:41
I think that a defensive riding course may be needed...? And possibly defensive driving for the car infront also...

May make no difference at all. Twits are just that, Twits.:msn-wink: Most tend to learn by their mistakes. That is generally the hard way.

tbs
13th October 2012, 18:47
i wouldn't admit to that in public... :banana:

but no, you are forgiven that sin, a'cause you have a badass motorbike
(i'll forgive you.. jesus might not)

Already taken care of.

Now, off topic of course, but since I'm OP that shouldn't upset anyone unduly... I think that it's complete bollocks how people in every other damn part of the country have such chips on their shoulders about the inhabitants of my fair city. Bugger off! I have a reason to complain but unless you were born in Auckland then you don't. When I was young Auckland was totally sweet. Now apparently every other bastard and his dog wants to move here and clog the place up so that it gets more expensive and more sucky by the minute. It could have been great but since all you moaners are apparently hatching plans to move here just as soon as you've got a cool million for a house, I can't wait to get out. Stop ruining my city! Don't come here!

Rant over...... For now.

caseye
13th October 2012, 19:25
Geez Wayne, it's just Akzle's way of getting to no ya.
Have to say I was impressed with yer counting ability there Akz. "white lines 1.2-1.5 long" an all
Have to agree about Dorklanders, being a born an breed Waikatoian as I yam.

Akzle
13th October 2012, 19:28
Already taken care of.

Now, off topic of course, but since I'm OP that shouldn't upset anyone unduly... I think that it's complete bollocks how people in every other damn part of the country have such chips on their shoulders about the inhabitants of my fair city. Bugger off! I have a reason to complain but unless you were born in Auckland then you don't. When I was young Auckland was totally sweet. Now apparently every other bastard and his dog wants to move here and clog the place up so that it gets more expensive and more sucky by the minute. It could have been great but since all you moaners are apparently hatching plans to move here just as soon as you've got a cool million for a house, I can't wait to get out. Stop ruining my city! Don't come here!

Rant over...... For now.
would that i never had to.

i'm not a fan of cities in general, auckland happens to be the big shitty. i think you'd need to be out of your mind, deaf, blind and with no sense of smell, to live there.

-edit-
and judging by the drivers, most people already are...

FJRider
13th October 2012, 19:45
would that i never had to.

i'm not a fan of cities in general, auckland happens to be the big shitty. i think you'd need to be out of your mind, deaf, blind and with no sense of smell, to live there.

Maybe it's because the cost of living is so low, that people want to live there ... :blank:

Oh wait ... :killingme

Berries
13th October 2012, 20:47
I don't know, a rider does a bit of slipstreaming to save petrol and be good to the environment and they get slated by a cager.

It must be an Auckland thing.

Drew
14th October 2012, 09:34
Maybe it's because the cost of living is so low, that people want to live there ... :blank:

Oh wait ... :killingmeOtara is cheap.

FJRider
14th October 2012, 10:25
Otara is cheap.

So I've heard .... but would you live there .... ?????

tbs
14th October 2012, 12:17
Otara is cheap.

You have to old enough and probably paying attention to the news to get this joke.....

Where is the most expensive place to shop in the world?

Otara Chopping Mall..... It'll cost you an arm and a leg.

george formby
14th October 2012, 12:20
Silly place to ride a bike.:nono:

Drew
14th October 2012, 12:22
So I've heard .... but would you live there .... ?????Only place I have ever pulled up to a shop, to buy a drink, and seriously questioned my safety in doing so.

Wouldn't park on the street there, let alone live in it.

FJRider
14th October 2012, 16:54
Only place I have ever pulled up to a shop, to buy a drink, and seriously questioned my safety in doing so.

I haven't seen the way you ride ... so I can't comment :devil2:

Wouldn't park on the street there, let alone live in it.

No off steet parking either ... ???

If you're in Otara ... can it be called "Living"... ??? :wacko:

skinman
14th October 2012, 19:13
as a skinny white fella I would defiantly not get off my bike there unless out off gas or some other emergency

98tls
14th October 2012, 19:28
I don't know, a rider does a bit of slipstreaming to save petrol and be good to the environment and they get slated by a cager.

It must be an Auckland thing.
Well said Berries,if said pic was taken in Dunners the explanation would to be so simple,rider merely trying to shield himself from the never ending rain.

cleverchap
14th October 2012, 22:01
If your gonna be dumb you better be tough.

She'll learn

tbs
15th October 2012, 14:04
You have to be old enough and probably paying attention to the news to get this joke.....

Where is the most expensive place to shop in the world?

Otara Chopping Mall..... It'll cost you an arm and a leg.

Probably no-one got the joke.....
When I was a kid we lived a few kms away from Otara. It was where we went to get our fish and chips, and one year we got a big-ass ham from the butcher there, who I think Dad had done some work for. I was highly amused many years later when said butcher was the subject of one the the cases I studied at law school...(before I dropped out to do something more interesting and less soul destroying.)

Anyway, one Saturday morning some poor bastard got murdered in a machete attack right in front of shoppers there at the shopping centre. Didn't take long for that joke to start doing the rounds.