PDA

View Full Version : Please share your pre ride checklist and riding tips

Merlin.pgd
1st October 2012, 10:36
Does anyone here own Hyosung gt250r efi or knows anything about it, like things to look out for, pre ride checklist, servicing tips or any tips for someone like me who doesn't ride the bike more than 2000 - 3000 km in a year?

haydes55
1st October 2012, 12:53
Does anyone here own Hyosung gt250r efi or knows anything about it, like things to look out for, pre ride checklist, servicing tips or any tips for someone like me who doesn't ride the bike more than 2000 - 3000 km in a year?

its efi so presuming it's fairly new? If so I don't think rust will be an issue, try keep it garaged still. But if it's sitting a while before a ride lube the chain and check it's tension, change the oil at minimum once a year even if you only do 2000km. For the rest of the bike if it ain't broke don't fix it. just as you take off make sure it feels right and give the brakes a little test. Have fun :sunny:

Drew
1st October 2012, 13:07
Do I have my bike key? Yes.

WOOHOOOOOO, wheelie time!

Merlin.pgd
1st October 2012, 13:12
its efi so presuming it's fairly new? If so I don't think rust will be an issue, try keep it garaged still. But if it's sitting a while before a ride lube the chain and check it's tension, change the oil at minimum once a year even if you only do 2000km. For the rest of the bike if it ain't broke don't fix it. just as you take off make sure it feels right and give the brakes a little test. Have fun :sunny:

Thanks for the tips Hayden! What should the chain tension be like when its on the ground? Cheers mate!

Drew
1st October 2012, 13:16
Thanks for the tips Hayden! What should the chain tension be like when its on the ground? Cheers mate!

It should be written on a sticker on the swingarm, but usually 20-30mm of chain movement up and down.

Now go do wheelies!

wysper
1st October 2012, 13:23
Do I have my bike key? Yes.

WOOHOOOOOO, wheelie time!

Shouldn't that read 'Do I have the keys to HIS bike, WOOHOOOOO, wheelie time!'?

Maha
1st October 2012, 13:25
Lower colon empty?....ready!

Drew
1st October 2012, 13:29
Shouldn't that read 'Do I have the keys to HIS bike, WOOHOOOOO, wheelie time!'?After flipping a mates bike and giving myself a foot peg piercing...No, it probably shouldn't.

haydes55
1st October 2012, 13:30
Lower colon empty?....ready!

I empty mine when oncoming traffic is in my lane around blind corners:laugh:

Drew
1st October 2012, 13:31
Lower colon empty?....ready!You don't enjoy the cramps as you try and hold on, and go as fast as you can manage to the next servo?

Pfft, and they say the new bikers are soft!

Merlin.pgd
1st October 2012, 13:36
It should be written on a sticker on the swingarm, but usually 20-30mm of chain movement up and down.

Now go do wheelies!

Thanks mate! I've never check it since I owned the bike which is about a year now :scratch:

James Deuce
1st October 2012, 13:39
Turn bike on with choke cranked to max
Open Garage Door (optional)
Bounce engine off rev limiter
Push bike off centre stand and powerslide out door and across lawn
Drop bike at end of driveway
Pick bike up. Swear. Kick it straight.
Pull out in front of white van with little room to spare
Ride really slowly until white van tries to overtake and then power wheelie off down the road and through the stop sign on the back wheel.

Drew
1st October 2012, 16:38
Turn bike on with choke cranked to max
Open Garage Door (optional)
Bounce engine off rev limiter
Push bike off centre stand and powerslide out door and across lawn
Drop bike at end of driveway
Pick bike up. Swear. Kick it straight.
Pull out in front of white van with little room to spare
Ride really slowly until white van tries to overtake and then power wheelie off down the road and through the stop sign on the back wheel.

But few have your level of mechanical sympathy, or skill.

FJRider
1st October 2012, 16:49
I empty mine when oncoming traffic is in my lane around blind corners:laugh:

Sounds messy ... :shit:

Mine snaps shut. And the pucker effect sticks me to the seat ... :shifty:

James Deuce
1st October 2012, 17:44
But few have your level of mechanical sympathy, or skill.
It's not skill, it's a happy series of coincidental spaz attacks.

Number One
2nd October 2012, 06:39
lower colon empty?....ready!

lmao......

HenryDorsetCase
2nd October 2012, 07:37

Now go do wheelies!

its hyosung 250. I'm just saying

HenryDorsetCase
2nd October 2012, 07:39
It's not skill, it's a happy series of coincidental spaz attacks.

someone HAS to have this as a signature, its gold!

HenryDorsetCase
2nd October 2012, 07:41
as for pre-flight checklist: I like to check my tyres, walk around the thing to see nothing is obviously loose or falling off (like the footpeg mount with gearlever attached DAMHIK). start it up and make sure the lights and indicators are go, check the fuel level (did I forget to fill it up on the way home?) then when I start off I check both brakes are working. Then go ride.

nathanwhite
2nd October 2012, 08:07
Start it up
Smile at the sexy exhaust note
Rev it a little
Stop because it's still cold
Does everything look attached?/Not going to fall off?
Headlight works?
Mentally figure out if I have enough gas
Did I check the tyre pressures more then two weeks ago? If yes then redo.
Ride off revving perhaps a little more then necessary

Merlin.pgd
2nd October 2012, 08:47
its hyosung 250. I'm just saying

Haha you are wright mate! Maybe the 650 will do, but definitely not on the 250 or on the bike I would love to have Ducati desmosedici rr :yes:

Drew
2nd October 2012, 08:55
Haha you are wright mate! Maybe the 650 will do, but definitely not on the 250 or on the bike I would love to have Ducati desmosedici rr :yes:

I am happy to prove otherwise, so long as you sign a disclaimer in case I damage it.

Ps, the desmosedici is shit. Your Hyosung will be more reliable, and handle about the same by all account.

Fast Eddie
2nd October 2012, 09:36
you can wheelie anything..

mrs gn250 is a hoot on the rear wheel.

I wheelied a cat once..

Merlin.pgd
2nd October 2012, 09:51
I am happy to prove otherwise, so long as you sign a disclaimer in case I damage it.

Ps, the desmosedici is...

Maybe you have the skills mate. I've never ride the desmosedici, but by looking at it and hearing it I know that I want one! :drool:

Maha
2nd October 2012, 09:59
Does everything look attached?/Not going to fall off and bounce endlessly along the Motorway.

Now it makes sense...:corn:

Katman
2nd October 2012, 17:05
But if it's sitting a while before a ride lube the chain

Try getting in the habit of lubing the chain at the end of a ride - it saves throwing half of it off as soon as you start your ride.

The warmth in the chain will allow the solvent in the lube to readily evaporate off and it will be already done for when you're next ready to ride.

caspernz
2nd October 2012, 17:54
Excuse me for taking a logical way of thinking here...but why would you keep a bike if you're only doing 2 or 3 thou clicks a year? The rego alone is more than the fuel bill :facepalm:

Drew
2nd October 2012, 18:05
Excuse me for taking a logical way of thinking here...but why would you keep a bike if you're only doing 2 or 3 thou clicks a year? The rego alone is more than the fuel bill :facepalm:

You pay for registration?

HenryDorsetCase
2nd October 2012, 18:28

I've only done between 3 and 5000 ks across all my bikes for the last two years. No major tours, bit of communting, but I am almost entirely a weekend warrior these days. Every one of those ks has been enjoyed pretty much too. Sure rego is a rip, and fuel and insurance cost more, but so what. At least you've got a bike in the shed you can have a blat on when the need and opportunity arises.

I had shit to do last weekend so it didnt even get started :( but theres next weekend.

James Deuce
2nd October 2012, 18:36
What HDC said. I got cheaper insurance for staying under 5000kms a year. I just ride for fun and commute to work once in a blue moon.

onearmedbandit
2nd October 2012, 18:43
I ain't sharing shit. Took me years to make that checklist, and I can't ride anyway so you wouldn't want any of my tips.

madandy
2nd October 2012, 19:49
...check the oil level ;)

Merlin.pgd
3rd October 2012, 10:45

Well last year I did just over 1000 km because I wasn't ever of the speed limit changes from learner holders. This year I'm planing to ad few more on it and the year later upgrade the bike and go mad! :headbang:

I agree with Henry, owning a bike and just taking it out just for joy ride once in a blue moon is fun and you can't put a price on that. :ride: