PDA

View Full Version : First aid Type course for KBers

Firefight
8th August 2005, 09:21
Ok, got ya, its NOT a first aid course !!, however we are going to run a training session to cover emergancy trauma managment/scene safety at crashes, and some CPR.. we will also cover the normal range of questions, ie what to carry in a bike rider first aid kit etc etc,we will also hopefully expell some myths about Helmet removal, and cover any other crap you may care to ask us.

If you get the chance to do a St Johns first aid or workplace first aid course, I would recomend it, we don,t have two days to spare to run that sort of course, and the logistics of getting everyone together, including the instructors, most of who are shift workers is bloody near impossible.

The last course like this we ran, seemed to be very popular, and we have had heaps of people asking when the next one is going to be.

At this stage , it will be sometime in the next 5-6 weeks, venue will be advised, it will be held in the evening and will last about 3-4 hours.

The last course was held at good old Frostys place in deep dark scary west Aks, have not asked Frosty if we can use his house yet, what we want to do is find out whos keen, and what area you live in, then we will sort a venue and try and work it round our instructors shift work.

So, what we need is an indication of who wants to come, what evening would suit you best and what area you would prefer to come to.

We will then try and sort it out and advise.

F/F :ride:

curious george
8th August 2005, 09:23
I'm keen.
Just post when and where.
Out of curiosity, when would you remove a helmet from a crashed rider?

Firefight
8th August 2005, 09:27
I'm keen.
Just post when and where.
Out of curiosity, when would you remove a helmet from a crashed rider?

Hey george, don,t want to get in to this on site as there are considrations to discuss will pm you if thats ok,

F/F

bugjuice
8th August 2005, 09:39
in wiv a grin.. just say where and when, not really fussed.. as long as it's not a night where i'm busy :msn-wink:

WRT
8th August 2005, 11:04
I'm keen too, will confirm for sure when you have a fixed time and location.

Ixion
8th August 2005, 11:54
I'll be a starter, anywhere within a 200km radius, so long as I'm free on the night.

FROSTY
8th August 2005, 13:03
Hey FF --Goes without sayng my place is always available if you need it.
A suggestion though. How about we talk to AMCC about doing it at their clubrooms in Ellerslie on a thursday night.
Plenty of parking. good lighting etc etc -and generally club nights n winter time are pretty quiet.

mstriumph
8th August 2005, 13:09
F/F pm me too, iffen u don't mind [about the when to take helmet off downed biker]? have my firstaid ticket [you break it, i'll bandage it :innocent: ] but this is an area that wasn't even touched on? thanks fella...
Hey george, don,t want to get in to this on site as there are considrations to discuss will pm you if thats ok,

F/F

Firefight
8th August 2005, 13:49
[QUOTE=FROSTY]Hey FF --Goes without sayng my place is always available if you need it.
A suggestion though. How about we talk to AMCC about doing it at their clubrooms in Ellerslie on a thursday night.
Plenty of parking. good lighting etc etc -and generally club nights n winter time are pretty quiet.[/QUOTE

As always thanks Tony, however we have booked a more suitable venue .will advise in a few days.

F/F

placidfemme
8th August 2005, 14:33
Hey F/F

Sam and I are both keen to come along... We live on the Shore... but don't mind riding out to where-ever as long as a good map is posted :) Any night is fine... but will confirm once a date and time/location are set :)

Firefight
8th August 2005, 14:39
Hey F/F

Sam and I are both keen to come along... We live on the Shore... but don't mind riding out to where-ever as long as a good map is posted :) Any night is fine... but will confirm once a date and time/location are set :)

That should work well for you guys, as this course will be held on the shore.

F/F

Motoracer
8th August 2005, 14:45
I've done some day course but I've forgoton most of it. Being an active member for most KB rides, I think I should participate in this. You never know when this sort of knowledge might come in handy in your everyday life.

placidfemme
8th August 2005, 14:46

F/F

Sweet :) Thank you :)

texmo
8th August 2005, 14:58
I am keen to attend

RiderInBlack
8th August 2005, 16:46
Getting Rusty. Could do with a refresher. Will come if I can.

bugjuice
8th August 2005, 16:57
:wavey: bagsy practice mouth-to-mouth with the young fit blonde [girl].. I'll get started early, if you just give me your addy.. Don't mind checking for cracked ribs too..

justsomeguy
8th August 2005, 17:10
Will come if I can.

FROSTY
8th August 2005, 21:34
This is well worth attending for anyone riding.. :Punk:

curious george
8th August 2005, 21:49
:wavey: bagsy practice mouth-to-mouth with the young fit blonde [girl].. I'll get started early, if you just give me your addy.. Don't mind checking for cracked ribs too..
Always one isn't there..... :Punk:

2_SL0
9th August 2005, 12:08
I would be interested, if Im in the country.

FEINT
9th August 2005, 12:20
I am interested as well... :D :D Where and When??

Trow
9th August 2005, 13:42
I would be very keen, I have already done the St Johns full first aid course but the more info the better I think. just say where and when :clap:

Firefight
9th August 2005, 14:13
I am interested as well... :D :D Where and When??

as stated in original thread, within next 5-6 weeks venue to be advised, but your in luck it will be on the northshore this time.

F/F

crashe
10th August 2005, 16:49
Just spotted this thread..

Yep I would love to do this and learn more...
So Firefight can you put my name down as well.
Thanks.

parsley
14th August 2005, 03:15
Sounds good - I work on the shore. :woohoo:

raster
14th August 2005, 10:00
Sign me up, I've just put it in my calendar

Firefight
14th August 2005, 18:45
There will probably be a new thread created for the specific purpose of this purpose...purpose purpose.. dolphin.

Thursday September the 1st :doctor: :doctor:

Takapuna 1930hrs
Proper details will be laid out in a thread tommorow or the next day.

Sorry I have beer onboard:Punk:

thanks Glen, yes folks thats the day we will be holding this course, more details will follow, will be away from kb for a couple of days, look for something about wednesday.

F/F

Firefight
19th August 2005, 07:55
:hitcher: :doctor: :doctor: :doctor: :doctor: :hitcher:

Ok rememeber as I said this is NOT a Standard First aid course, as stated it starts at 7.30 sharp robomedic(sorry Speedmedic) will post some maps and info re the location of the venue on this thread. Its near Northshore hospital, so it won,t be that hard to find.

If you did the last course, how about staying away and give those that could not make it last time a chance to attend this one

We will cover Scene managment :Police: (road side safety), Trauma managemnt, ie bleeding , fractures, shock, helmet removal (when/if to remove and how)
CPR, including practice of this important life saving skill. we will discuss first aid kits (what to carry and what is not needed) and there will be time at the end for questions.

Most of our instructors are shift workers , and have made an effort to fit this time in between their busy schedules, please try to be on time.

Firefight

crashe
19th August 2005, 21:49
Yep me in for this......

placidfemme
20th August 2005, 09:02
Yup Sam and I are both keen as beans :):)

Super Sam
20th August 2005, 09:32
Yup Sam and I are both keen as beans :):)

Yup

This is Sam's KB name :)

FROSTY
20th August 2005, 10:32
ive done a duplicate thread in meetings and events -and Ill sticky it so it doesnt get lost

Ixion
20th August 2005, 10:41
Yup

Welcome Super Sam (not as fast, or as oily as Slippery Sam but . This is an arcane joke that will only be understood by people who remember Meridan Triumphs)

username
20th August 2005, 15:26
Will this cover accident prevention as well as first aid?

crashe
20th August 2005, 20:40
Yup

Welcome Sam to the KB site.

curious george
20th August 2005, 22:27
I'm keen, just need to check roster etc....
*EDIT* Nup. I'm fucked.

Motoracer
22nd August 2005, 11:06
Next Thursday is it? Will try my very best to get there.

P.S. Nice updated ambo there SM!

2_SL0
24th August 2005, 19:51
Unlikely to make due to work commitments. Soz.

Firefight
25th August 2005, 12:29
:hitcher: :hitcher:

Assuming that all who have put their names down for this course actually turn up then we have enuff, for those who miss out , another course will be held later in the year.

We hope to start on time(yeah right),we have a lot to cover, some of the instructors are lucky enough not to live in AK and have a fair distance to travel home afterwards. Please try and have your shit together.

When its all over you are welcome to stay and talk as much shit as you like.

F/F :ride:

FROSTY
25th August 2005, 19:11
FOLKS -AS PER ff --THIS IS IT NO MORE PLACES LEFT
BEST YA TALK NICE LOIK TO FF for the next one

RiderInBlack
25th August 2005, 20:13
Sweet as. Couldn't make next Thursday anyway. Besides there are others that need to do this more than I do. Now you boys be good for SMed and FF won't you:hitcher: or it's off to the Work Room for a good caneing :moon: :Pokey: :devil2:

curious george
26th August 2005, 12:46
Piss. Shit.
OK, I have to work, can't get out of it, so perhaps somebody else wants to take my place?
Sorry FF and SM, another time.
PMed.

Firefight
28th August 2005, 19:50
Piss. Shit.
OK, I have to work, can't get out of it, so perhaps somebody else wants to take my place?
Sorry FF and SM, another time.

PMed.

sorry you can't make it George, but don,t worry, we will have another course later in the year.

F/F

bugjuice
31st August 2005, 11:42
** bomp **

did the wrong thread.. this is tomorrow peeps
:brick:

placidfemme
1st September 2005, 15:18
Hey guys

Just to let you know I might not be able to make it... did 12 hours yesterday at work, and today is looking much the same... If I'm lucky I should be able to leave work at 7pm... Sam should still be going, but I havn't spoken to her all day so not too sure, as she is shy on her own...

Will confirm after 5pm if Sam is going :)

bugjuice
1st September 2005, 22:29
bloody good and informative night.

Thanks very much to Dave/FF for arranging everything, and to Speedy, Riff Raff, Draco and Keystone.. (and WT for bein the live dummy)

May all the information you said tonight, be stuck in me nuggin for ever and ever. And I hope I never have to use it. But should I need to, I'm a feck load more confident over the situation now, then I was any time before tonight..

Thanks again guys :clap: :not:

crashe
1st September 2005, 22:39
A huge thank you goes to Firefight, Speedmedic, Riff Raff, Draco and Keystone19... for their wonderful expertise tonight.

Good to see WT was a good live dummy tonight.

I relearnt stuff that I did know and learn stuff that I didnt know and it was great to find out a newer and better way of doing things.

Getting the helmet off is something that I recommend everyone learns to do...
Thanks Riff Raff for helping me out getting the technique down better...

Great to meet a few new KBers..... and all the old faces...

Mr Skid
1st September 2005, 22:43
Getting the helmet off is something that I recommend everyone learns to do...Funny you should mention that, I've been meaning to get myself a set of tyre levers...

parsley
1st September 2005, 22:44
Excellent session. Thanks guys!

2_SL0
1st September 2005, 22:45
Funny you should mention that, I've been meaning to get myself a set of tyre levers...

I think we could just use a can opener on yours. :rofl: :chase:

I will try and make the next one.

James Deuce
1st September 2005, 22:46
(and WT for bein the live dummy)

Took you guys long enough to figure that out.

MadDuck
1st September 2005, 22:50
Good to see WT was a good live dummy tonight.

Am sure the entire KB comunity would like to see that one...got photos.

curious george
1st September 2005, 22:56
*bloody cut&paste from the other thread*
Very nice to meet some new people, thanks heaps to Dave, Rif, Draco, Keystone(?). Well done, great stuff. Hopefully will never have to use.
And here are the photo's you have all been waiting for...
1st aid they said..... serious stuff they said....no rolling around on the floor like, well, like.... make your own mind up.

Ixion
2nd September 2005, 00:17
Most informative and worthwhile. Many thanks to those who unselfishly gave their time.

Riff Raff
2nd September 2005, 08:11
Thanks to everyone who turned up. It's a lot of information to absorb so feel free to PM me if there's something you're unsure of or want to go over again. Good to meet some new faces.

I'd like to thank WT for managing to put me off what I was saying with his antics at the back of the classroom!! I think we can find another dummy for the next one, thanks sweetie!

Oh, and Crashe - you're not actually supposed to molest the patients, but we'll let you off this time because Bugjuice seemed to be enjoying it so much!!!

Trow
2nd September 2005, 08:39
thanks again folks, awsome night, really good to brush up on my skills from the first aid course and also to learn the helmet procedure!!!

Keystone19
2nd September 2005, 08:53
Twas a good night with lots of really practical information.

Don't know that I was able to contribute much but I managed to update a few of my own skills so thanks guys!

Great to put faces to names as well...

WRT
2nd September 2005, 10:53
I'd just like to add my thanks too, to everyone involved. Much learnt, and I'm very grateful for that. Really appreciate the way that everyone who organised it pitched in to share their time and knowledge to help the rest of us out. We all walked away richer for the experience.

Was also great to finally get to put some faces to the names, still struggling to remember who is who, but I never was good with names. Add in a handle to the equation and it all gets a bit much for me . . .

And Glen - you bastard! Nice bike you've got there, but now I really miss my baby . . . you (inadvertantly I have to admit) managed to remind me just how much. Anyone looking at buying a bike, check out his TL - its a hell of a machine.

Postie
2nd September 2005, 12:59
I would like to say big ups to everyone involved last night, thanks to the instructors for giving up there valuble time which could have been spent with family (although its great that if you were not with family, you were with friends)
and also thanks to everyone for giving up your time to learn and particpate, we never know when we might need the skills we learned last night and its nice to know that a good amount of people care enough to take time out to learn new skills in case i ever need your help, or my brother ever needs your help or any of my friends need your help.

cheers

raster
3rd September 2005, 09:42
thanks to everyone involved, learnt heaps and great to see crashe enjoying herself, and I don't think WT was complaining.
I don't think that is the right position for CPR though Crashe?

crashe
3rd September 2005, 19:40
thanks to everyone involved, learnt heaps and great to see crashe enjoying herself, and I don't think WT was complaining.
I don't think that is the right position for CPR though Crashe?

hahaha I was removing the helmet... honest I was...
and bugjuice wasnt complaining....

Firefight
3rd September 2005, 20:28
hello everyone, firstly thanks to all who made the time to come and listen to what we had to say, we were so pleased to have such a good turn out, it does make it all worthwhile,thank you also for your feedback.

And secondly a BIG thank you to :hitcher: Glen, :hitcher: Sue, :hitcher: Jen & Jill :hitcher: for giving of your time, you all gave heaps of valuable INFORMATION..

For those that missed out, we will be running another course early next year, I will advise date when its sorted.

Firefight.