PDA

View Full Version : My Experience to share...

ktee
8th August 2005, 12:07
Hi all, I'm newly registered but have been reading for a while and find heaps of valuable info in these threads.

I've been riding for 8 months now. I brought a Kawasaki ZZR250 to learn on (sharing with Hubby). I found it heavy until I did my basic skills course (on their bike), came home and didn't really feel the weight the same. But ... I can ride this bike at 50k and higher no probs but as someone very blunt pointed out ... that is not riding, the real skill in riding is when the bike is going slow ... if you can control it without feeling like the weight of the bike is going to take over, then you are truly riding.

I was told the ZZR was a sports bike and would not allow me to master and practice my slow riding skills because the ZZR is built for speed. I was told to try a Suzuki GN250 and ditch my ZZR! NO WAY - I love the look of my bike and Sports Bikes in general and wasn't keen on cruiser style.
However after dwelling, for a month, on my dilema of not wanting to part with my ZZR and really wanting to feel in control of my bike at carpark speed - I picked up, at a bargain price, a GN250 off Trademe. This was a perfect solution coz I didn't have to part with my ZZR.
Wow ... I am having so much more fun on this bike. It's really giving me the confidence with slow riding and it's not that slow. Mine is 1984 and sounds really grunty even thou its only a 250cc.
So my advice is put aside, like I have, the "I don't like cruiser style" thoughts and go to a bike shop and just try one. You can't progress from 250 until you have your full license so, whilst learning, find a bike that you feel comfortable on in all situations and worry about look after you have mastered the riding skills that will make you a better rider.
I may be converted to the Cruiser style yet ... but no promises.
Safe riding everyone and By the way - I am a GN250 rider who WAVES.
:ride: :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride:

Eurygnomes
8th August 2005, 12:16
Good on ya girl. I too have started waving rather than just nodding (unless at a part of the road in which I dont' think it advisable to only have one hand on the handlebar) in case my head just looks like it's wobbling rather than attempting a 'greeting'.

I don't know what handlebars you have on your GN250, but I had hanging ones before I changed them (well, Paul in NZ from here really did all the work, I just stood there trying to be good company!) over for me and it has made ALL the difference to my confidence and security (or rather, that feeling of well-being) for me. I'm really happy with my bike now.

I have yet to attempt a ride on a sports bike, but am already thinking of the SV650S as my ultimate bike. Whether I go from this to that will depend on a whole lot of things...so we'll see.

See ya on the road - and ride safe.
P.S. Are you commuting? Regularly? Which roads...I see quite a few bikes on some mornings...since I"m counter-commuting! :)

Beemer
8th August 2005, 12:22
Safe riding everyone and By the way - I am a GN250 rider who WAVES.
:ride: :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride:

I want your rego number so I can hold you to it! I have yet to meet a GN250 rider who waves, so if you see a Goose rider falling off, stop and help me up - I'll be so shocked I'll lose control of my bike! :shit:

ktee
8th August 2005, 12:30
Eurygnomes - Hi - My GN has handlebars like yours. I don't commute regularly. I am a free spirit during the day whilst my children are at school and I ride anywhere and everywhere.

I read the thread about GN's not waving and I thought I would throw this in the mix. *** When in my car, I will wave to bikers but unless you are on a motorbike, they don't think of you as a biker and don't wave back ***

So if you see some git in a car waving at you, it's probably a biker in a cage, so wave back.

ktee
8th August 2005, 12:32
I'm yet to stop chuckling, but yes we do actually exist. I wave in and on all my modes of transport. One of a kind I guess.

MSTRS
8th August 2005, 13:12
Sounds like you've got it sorted/covered. Just remember tho that different bikes for different uses & if your GN gives you the confidence at low speeds, you will soon be able to do that on your ZZR too. Admittedly, I've been riding a 'while' but it is not difficult to ride slower than walking pace on a big sportsbike

WRT
8th August 2005, 13:49
I'm yet to stop chuckling, but yes we do actually exist. I wave in and on all my modes of transport. One of a kind I guess.

I grew up on Great Barrier Island - where you wave to everyone. Its still funny when my mother comes to Auckland, takes her around 5 minutes of driving round the city to adjust, its so automatic that while you are talking her hand just pops up by itself.

Its so funny watching her trying to wave at every passing car on the motorway . . .