PDA

View Full Version : I wanna build a sidecar!

Drew
6th October 2012, 07:19
OK sidecar dudes, could I make a short chair starting with my RF?

The steel beam frame seems to be quite well suited to the needs, but I don't know fuck all about any of it, so I'm prolly wrong.

Drew
6th October 2012, 07:34
This a theoretical situation. I couldn't chop up my RF for real.

sidecar bob
6th October 2012, 08:02
I suggest you spend less & buy a runner.
Ask Gordy how much work is involved in buying one that "just needs the motor dropping in"
I bought the BMW with just the L/H head off & it took 300 hours of labour & I dont even want to think how much money, to make it a safe reliable runner.
The problem with chairs, is that you dont just rock up to your local bike shop with the year & make & order the parts.
You become very proficent (or in gordys case, top bum chums) at dealing with the local engineer supplies store, & other random tradesmen you never even thought of before.
You need to have a friendly welder & a chum with a lathe that will work for beer.
Not being negative, just real.

Drew
6th October 2012, 08:05
I suggest you spend less & buy a runner.
Ask Gordy how much work is involved in buying one that "just needs the motor dropping in"
I bought the BMW with just the L/H head off & it took 300 hours of labour to make it a safe reliable runner.
The problem with chairs, is that you dont just rock up to your local bike shop with the year & make & order the parts.
You become very proficent (or in gordys case, top bum chums) at dealing with the local engineer supplies store, & other random tradesmen you never even thought of before.
You need to have a friendly welder & a chum with a lathe that will work for beer.
Not being negative, just real.My swinger is an engineer. Does that help?

I need to find a chair on it's way to the scrappy and just build it as we can get parts. Retro fitting a decent wheel attachment method would help.

I also have a close friend who is a bike wrecker.

sidecar bob
6th October 2012, 08:10
Just invite yourself to Gordy's for a weekend, (he's good like that) & have a long look & yarn.
Hes a fairly smart dude, & probably the most recent to go the hard yards on a project chair.

Drew
6th October 2012, 08:26
Just invite yourself to Gordy's for a weekend, (he's good like that) & have a long look & yarn.
Hes a fairly smart dude, & probably the most recent to go the hard yards on a project chair.Better idea. While you cunts are all doing the Barry Sheen, I'll race down to Christchurch, and steal the long chair Warwick hasn't looked at in fuckin years, from his shed.

Grumph
6th October 2012, 08:32
My swinger is an engineer. Does that help?

I need to find a chair on it's way to the scrappy and just build it as we can get parts. Retro fitting a decent wheel attachment method would help.

I also have a close friend who is a bike wrecker.

Qualified Engineers heve very litle place in building a chair as very little of their construction can be carried over from anything else...
An experienced fabricator with an eye for stress paths is more useful.

Don't even think about starting a build until you have experience in building at least two solos and possibly a hot rod or race car too.

Drew
6th October 2012, 08:38
Don't even think about starting a build until you have experience in building at least two solos and possibly a hot rod or race car too.

Do buckets count? :laugh:

I wouldn't try to build one in reality. We'd rebuild one though, I just need to find the cheapest way to get my hands on one.

Who's selling a roller for a grand, I can swing that much.:facepalm:

Fast Eddie
6th October 2012, 08:50
good man! just tick one up! took me bout 6 month to pay mine off :) get a cheapy 5k or less. and yea we got 2 lathes and a few welding plants at swingers parents farm so i can vouch they are needed a fair bit haha.

ours, like gordys, needs a full strip down and rebuild from ground up but we didnt have time before n.i. experience.. and wont have time before or during nationals so dunno when we will get time haha.

Fast Eddie
6th October 2012, 08:54
dunno bout 1,000..

Ill post this cause Harris always offers every man and his dog a cheap sidecar if they want it, recons he knows of a few cheap old ones lying around. Thing is he never wants to give you direct info like a name and number.. more he tries to be the middleman.. like he stands to profit from it somehow... mmm

anyway.. get one asap! like i said tick it up!

Fast Eddie
6th October 2012, 08:56
Better idea. While you cunts are all doing the Barry Sheen, I'll race down to Christchurch, and steal the long chair Warwick hasn't looked at in fuckin years, from his shed.

his is a short bike anyway in'nit.

Drew
6th October 2012, 08:59
his is a short bike anyway in'nit.The thing sitting on a bench in his garage? I thought it was middle to long.

Fast Eddie
6th October 2012, 09:08
yea cant remember now.. i think its short.. kick should be along shortly. hes got some nice shocks n motor for it tho

Kickaha
6th October 2012, 09:13
yea cant remember now.. i think its short.. kick should be along shortly. hes got some nice shocks n motor for it tho

Long, got 95% of what it needs, to much other shit got in the way over the last few years

Fast Eddie
6th October 2012, 09:14
pies and your belly?

Akzle
6th October 2012, 09:21
i was thinking baout one too. for the kids. or dog. or dog and kids....

I bought the BMW with just the L/H head off & it took 300 hours of labour & I dont even want to think how much money,...

yeah, but to be fair, you are a muppet.

Kickaha
6th October 2012, 09:34
pies and your belly?

It's a long walk to HD from the airport

Fast Eddie
6th October 2012, 09:39
i meant to say all that bike riding has paid off, Kick. you look better than ever these days

Drew
6th October 2012, 09:50
i meant to say all that bike riding has paid off, Kick. you look better than ever these days Poo lick !

Fast Eddie
6th October 2012, 09:58
tastes like coke :shit:

nodrog
8th October 2012, 15:56
find a finished one, it will be heaps easier, and cheaper :done:

Drew
8th October 2012, 18:10

Got a line on one that's local right now. Same old story though, getting married, not drinking on the night so I can have a sidecar, is going to go down like a cup of cold sick.

Kickaha
8th October 2012, 18:23
What he said, you're better off putting shit off a bit longer and getting a complete one if you can, next best is a roller minus motor, worst is a kitset or build from scratch

Got a line on one that's local right now. Same old story though, getting married
She'd want you to be happy

sidecar bob
8th October 2012, 19:01
Got a line on one that's local right now. Same old story though, getting married, not drinking on the night so I can have a sidecar, is going to go down like a cup of cold sick.

Just make sure shes the right one mate. My missus thinks that the Avon lady is the Courier that delivered her new slicks today, & im totally banned from ever selling my Katana 1100.
Shes a keeper this one!!!

DEATH_INC.
8th October 2012, 19:45
Design and build your own, you never know, you may come up with something new....

Kickaha
8th October 2012, 20:10
Design and build your own, you never know, you may come up with something new....
Unlikely, there's an awful lot of stuff been tried over the years

If I was building from scratch I'd be doing a hub centre steer short bike like the one in the "sidecar thread"
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/151328-Sidecar-Racing?p=1130396573#post1130396573
Few more pics a few posts after it as well

RobGassit
9th October 2012, 12:47
OK sidecar dudes, could I make a short chair starting with my RF?

The steel beam frame seems to be quite well suited to the needs, but I don't know fuck all about any of it, so I'm prolly wrong.

It's been done for you..
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/other/auction-521403051.htm

Fast Eddie
9th October 2012, 13:20
some people like to go right and left though..

need a road race sidecar for that

Phantom Limb
10th October 2012, 07:50
Heres some inspiration for you Drew:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h7/demonialceremony666/Dethklok/TheMurdercycle.jpg

Drew
10th October 2012, 08:58
Dethklok for the fuckin win!

Phantom Limb
10th October 2012, 10:08
It just sprang to mind as I have the first season on DVD, anyway, back on topic.

scrivy
10th October 2012, 14:12

Dude, you've got it all wrong................
Acquire a sidecar. :Punk:
After a days racing, get home and go f@cken mental on her....... you know the drill (well, you probably don't....)....:yawn:
Down for the chew, give 'er a rimmy for good measure, get the toys out, plenty of lube, romantic music in all, get out the frozen yogurt, the shavers, the plucked chicken, and the butt plugs,..... er..... hang about..... I've gone a bit far haven't I ??? I never quite know where to draw the line....

Anyway, you get the drift.......

After the 'session', tell her that sidecars always make you feel this way........
SHE'LL LET YOU OUT AT EVERY CHANCE!!!!!
Woman are so simple like that....................... :shutup::innocent::love:

scrivy
10th October 2012, 14:16
Just make sure shes the right one mate. My missus thinks that the Avon lady is the Courier that delivered her new slicks today, & im totally banned from ever selling my Katana 1100.
Shes a keeper this one!!!

She's got new fucken slicks???? WTF??? She was fast enough on the old rubber................ Damn it............... Kai's history then.......
Oh, and what makes ya think you've got what it takes to keep her???? (You'd better read my above post to Drew)............. :shutup::laugh:

DEATH_INC.
10th October 2012, 15:54
Unlikely, there's an awful lot of stuff been tried over the years
But I bet there's a lot of stuff that hasn't, and what better guinea pig than Drew :laugh:

Tony.OK
10th October 2012, 16:12
Dude, you've got it all wrong................
Acquire a sidecar. :Punk:
After a days racing, get home and go f@cken mental on her....... you know the drill (well, you probably don't....)....:yawn:
Down for the chew, give 'er a rimmy for good measure, get the toys out, plenty of lube, romantic music in all, get out the frozen yogurt, the shavers, the plucked chicken, and the butt plugs,..... er..... hang about..... I've gone a bit far haven't I ??? I never quite know where to draw the line....

Anyway, you get the drift.......

After the 'session', tell her that sidecars always make you feel this way........
SHE'LL LET YOU OUT AT EVERY CHANCE!!!!!
Woman are so simple like that....................... :shutup::innocent::love:

Just don't go too far or you'll end up international news (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4556210/man-gets-eel-stuck-up-his-bum.html).

Kickaha
10th October 2012, 16:52
and what better guinea pig than Drew :laugh:
Perfect crash test dummy

Mental Trousers
10th October 2012, 16:59
Just don't go too far or you'll end up international news (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4556210/man-gets-eel-stuck-up-his-bum.html).

You saying that wasn't scrivy??

scrivy
10th October 2012, 19:58
You saying that wasn't scrivy??

I was not in Auckland last week! I did not stick an eel up my arse!!
.....but I did know someone that was, and did....... eh Kick.....:facepalm::shutup:

I guess it gives a new meaning to having smoked eel.........