PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pad Set Up

Jonty
8th August 2005, 13:27
This may be a silly question, but should the brake pads be touching the rotors slightly when they are not in use? I notice that if I lift the front end and back end and spin the wheel you can hear the brakes touching. On the front it is enough to slow the wheel from a gently spin.

Cheers

vifferman
8th August 2005, 13:40
This may be a silly question, but should the brake pads be touching the rotors slightly when they are not in use? I notice that if I lift the front end and back end and spin the wheel you can hear the brakes touching. On the front it is enough to slow the wheel from a gently spin.

Cheers
Yes, it's normal for them to be touching just slightly, but they shouldn't be dragging very much.

scumdog
8th August 2005, 13:41

Cheers

Can't be too bad if you can spin the wheel easily, check it after a run to make sure it is not dragging excessively.

A lot of disc set ups do have a certain amount of rubbing.

crazylittleshit
8th August 2005, 13:42
As long as you have free wheel spin it should be fine you will hear a little noise............

Ixion
8th August 2005, 13:43
Yes, it's normal for them to be touching just slightly, but they shouldn't be dragging very much.

There's actually nothing to pull them back, except that some manufacturers claim that their piston seals have clever lip designs that have a little bit of pull back.But no pull off springs or anything like a drum brake. IMHO tis one of the design flaws of disk brakes. It annoys me. /me likes drum brakes, twin sided 2LS 8inch ones.

Jonty
8th August 2005, 13:45
Great thanks all! I think the rotors are gathering a little rust from the shitty wet garage they are in. I will give it a run tonight to give them shine up and check the dragging.

:Punk:

mouldy
8th August 2005, 13:54

Cheers
It is quite normal for the 2 pot calipers on Hondas to drag as the sliders dry out don't return properly.Pull your calipers off and check that they move easily back and forward. If not disassemble ,clen and regrease sliders. :ride:

Jonty
14th August 2005, 15:39
hi all,

I took the bike out for a a spin last evening to shine up the rotors after it had been sitting for a while and i noticed that at low speed (10-20kmhr) I hear a slight knocking in the front end. It is definately the brakes as if I pull on the front brakes slightly there is one louder knock and then it stops (until I release the brakes again). The knocking speeds up with the speed of the bike until about 30k then it goes away. braking is generally fine and there is no grabing or pulsing. Does anyone have any ideas? could it be a lose calipers?

Thanks in advance

bugjuice
14th August 2005, 17:35
check all the bolts around the calipers. Did the pads have springs/retaining clips anywhere in the calipers? Most do. If yours didn't, they could be missing, which will let your pads 'flap' around in the calipers. Best thing (if you aren't too sure) is to get someone who knows a few things about them to have a look. It's not really something you want to skimp on, or ignore for too long, cos your brakes are the thing you do want sorted..

loosebruce
17th August 2005, 15:21
Check your rotors for play, floating discs do this after a while and can make a clunking sound when the wheel is rotating slowly, my TL does it. If play is excessive get someone in the know to check it out for you, you may need new ones, you may not.

Jonty
18th August 2005, 12:37
Check your rotors for play, floating discs do this after a while and can make a clunking sound when the wheel is rotating slowly, my TL does it. If play is excessive get someone in the know to check it out for you, you may need new ones, you may not.

Thanks mate

They seem fine, it is definately a metal on metal knock as I can feel it slightly through the handle bars. It is as if something is catching on the calipers as the wheel turns. I can't seem to get it to make the noise on the centre stand, it is only while riding.

I will get someone to have a look when I get a chance, if anyone in wellywood is confident in this area I would appreciate it greatly.

cheers

XP@
24th August 2005, 14:08
Hi,
I'm supposed to be working so this will be quick...

Have you (or anyone else) dropped the bike (even a minor spill)?
If this is the case then the forks, caliper bracket or disk may be slightly out of alignment.
look for uneven wear on the disks or pads.
If this is the case then you will need to streighten things out.

Boyles on Adalaide road will be able to do this for you, not too much work

duckman
24th August 2005, 15:08
Remove your spokey dokey's dumb arse ... :rofl: