PDA

View Full Version : How much better is X ring over O ring chain?

nzspokes
7th October 2012, 12:57
So Which is better and why?

tigertim20
7th October 2012, 13:13
x ring seals better than o ring. means cleaner chain, and better chance of longevity over o ring

tri boy
7th October 2012, 13:20
:facepalm:
Run what you brung.

tigertim20
7th October 2012, 16:28
:facepalm:
Run what you brung.

thats shit advice unless he 'brung' a brand new bike.

too many morons would rather put a shit quality parts on their bike come replacement time because it was soo much cheaper to buy it on ebay or whatever.

to be clear, I am not against buying your parts off ebay, Im against people who buy the cheaper parts that are of lesse quality than what the bike had.

entirely possible that someone in the past has put shit quality replacement parts on his bike - it pays to ask questions abd be sure you are putting quality stuff on your ride if you really care about it

mossy1200
7th October 2012, 16:42
A great quality O Ring is better than a cheap chinese X ring.
If your compairing apples with apples (same brand load rating specs)then a X or W ring chain is better.
If your racing a drag bike then O Ring with them all cut out and removed is best.:shit:

nzspokes
7th October 2012, 18:08
thats shit advice unless he 'brung' a brand new bike.

too many morons would rather put a shit quality parts on their bike come replacement time because it was soo much cheaper to buy it on ebay or whatever.

to be clear, I am not against buying your parts off ebay, Im against people who buy the cheaper parts that are of lesse quality than what the bike had.

entirely possible that someone in the past has put shit quality replacement parts on his bike - it pays to ask questions abd be sure you are putting quality stuff on your ride if you really care about it

Looking at getting them from Cycletreads. Just trying to see if there is a real difference between them. It wont get shit put on as I ride a lot. And I give it shit sometimes so dont want it to snap.

mossy1200
7th October 2012, 18:15
Looking at getting them from Cycletreads. Just trying to see if there is a real difference between them. It wont get shit put on as I ride a lot. And I give it shit sometimes so dont want it to snap.

The X ring uses 2 lip surfaces to retain the lube within the rollers.
A W ring uses 2 on the inside and 3 on the outside.
A Oring chain uses 1 lip.

So a X ring does a better job of keeping lube in and dust out but is a little harder to get the lube to go into the roller.

Dust and grit getting into the roller is the damage caused other than rust.

All three types on a road bike thats not working on gravel roads are good as long as you lube them often.

Maybe you should be looking at the stretch rating that can be googled on most good chain brands also.

nzspokes
7th October 2012, 20:39
Well I run a scott oiler but that came on to late to save this chain. What are the good brands? From what im seeing with 530 chains HP comes into play. Mine will be about 115hp.

mossy1200
7th October 2012, 21:05
Well I run a scott oiler but that came on to late to save this chain. What are the good brands? From what im seeing with 530 chains HP comes into play. Mine will be about 115hp.

Renthal sprockets and did chain would be a good set.

I have a extra did 532 unused o ring chain still in the box if you can find matching sprocket set. Its a $200 chain. If you find sprockets to match ill send for $20 including freight. Im not sure if you will find sprockets but worth trying.

Idd do a quality 520 kit rather than 530 if you buy a whole set. Less revolving mass equals some free power and 115 hp isnt to high for 520 but that could cost you up to $400 for the set instead of 250-300 for 530 kit in order to get the strength required.

ktm84mxc
8th October 2012, 09:58
A x/w ring chain has less drag then an o-ring chain as the contact points are smaller between the side plates and internal plates.
It always pays to buy a quality brand chain eg DID, RK, EK, Renthal , Sprockets the same applies eg JT, Sunline ,Renthal, Afam, Talon.
A 520 swap on your Bandit will reduce unsprung weight and allow faster pick up but you'll probably never notice the difference, but you will notice the increases wear/stretch.