PDA

View Full Version : The best things in life are cheap

imdying
8th October 2012, 12:04
Was talking to a mate on the weekend about the best value for money I've spent on motorcycling, and the list was whittled down to:
* Dri Rider Neck Noodle - a polar fleece neck tube beats any and every scarf I have, hands down
* Pinlock - should be made compulsory a looooong time before any high vis vests
* Ariete right angle tyre valves - these aren't OEM fitment why!?!?
* PVC over pants and jacket from The Warehouse - unlike $1000 motorcycling 'waterproof' suits, these actually are
* Plastic shopping backs over your socks - Freee!!!!! And unlike pricey waterproof boots, these actually are

After that was Lasik. Best value for money I've ever had on anything.

So long story short... these best things I've ever bought to make my motorcycling 'better', were really cheap.... Anybody else have items they wish they'd never lived without?

Phantom Limb
8th October 2012, 12:25
$10 waterproof mittens.
Go over bike gloves and are actually waterproof.... Unlike every pair of winter bike gloves :facepalm:

willytheekid
8th October 2012, 12:35
home made neck noodle

home made "neck noodle" made out of Partners nice black long neck wooly jumper :niceone:
-Price = FREE
-The look on her face after cutting up her good winter jersey:facepalm:...priceless
-The look OF my face after she caught me (I ran!!)...possibly not worth it after all! :no:

otherwise...best bit of kit, my one-peice thermal wetweather suit!...$60 off trademe (Bike shop clearance, it was still in the org bag :wings:)...warm as hell and it actually works! :confused:

...and my $54 ZX1 HD bike cam :niceone:

Daffyd
8th October 2012, 13:43
Booster plug for my BMW. Best $200 I ever spent! Don't have the Torque improvement figures but could generally use the next higher gear for most situations.

Oakie
8th October 2012, 14:46
Neck thing ... my daughter had some polarfleece left over from something so sewed it together so it looked like a sleeve that had been sliced across. Yep, better than any old scarf.

Maha
8th October 2012, 14:55
My neck warmer cost me $0...cut the lid off a beanie.
I guess the cheapest thing purchased that everyone should own (it will stop alot of threads for one) was a Dri Rider rain jacket.
100% waterproof/100% warm by keeping out the wind chill and fold away to bugger all...to easy really...$50 from memory.

bogan
8th October 2012, 14:58
Value for money, well that'd be the honda's then. Such good value I bought 3 :D

Tigadee
8th October 2012, 15:13
* Beanie turned neck warmer by cutting off the top
* Can of Pledge Dust n Clean (or one of those) for sprucing up that old bike body - Thanks for the tip, Jantar

haydes55
8th October 2012, 15:14
International freight:dodge:

baffa
8th October 2012, 16:00
Any money I've spent on bikes seems a small amount to pay for the pleasure it gives.
If I went back to driving a car around, especially in traffic, I'd be nigh suicidal by now.

Oakie
8th October 2012, 16:03
can of pledge dust n clean (or one of those) for sprucing up that old bike body - thanks for the tip, jantar

but not for cleaning the seat!

Road kill
8th October 2012, 16:07
The best boots ever made,for riding,hunting,leaving deep foot prints an kicking shit,,,plus you can get into a Penrith night club wearing them,while the folks wearing runners can't:laugh:

Their Chainsaw boots,,had to replace the first pair after 15 years,,that pair cost nothing because I was given them to trial in a previous job.
Come with either tread or spikes.
4 years on the second pair and I'll probably never wear them out.

Breathable water proof socks from Kiwi disposals,work great,can't remember what they cost but not much.

Black fleece lined riggers gloves,soft leather,warm in all but the worst weather,around $50 per pair,not water proof but I could care less about that.

Leather jeans off trade me,$100 some time ago.

1966 Triumph Saint,complete NZ traffic cop history,,,ex Greenlane,$1000 for two big boxes of parts,about two years of loving labour to rebuild after letting it sit for 10 years while I pissed about with lesser bikes,and plan on parting with it the day I die.
The way I see it,it owns me the grand sum of ,,,Nothing.

HenryDorsetCase
8th October 2012, 16:10
Neck thing ... my daughter had some polarfleece left over from something so sewed it together so it looked like a sleeve that had been sliced across. Yep, better than any old scarf.

my significant other made me a polarfleece tube thing, but it has a large bib attached to the front of it that covers my chest. It is some tricksy fabric windstopper shell with fleece backing. It is fantastic. Free except for corn grinding and back rubs. :) she's awesome!

Big Dave
8th October 2012, 16:11
Actually, the best things in life are ferkin' expensive.

The list represents very good value though.

Laava
8th October 2012, 16:12
Icebreaker undergloves. Thin like silk and fold up to fit in the smallest pocket of your jacket. Worn under your summer gloves turns them into winter gloves. First time you need them you will not regret the 30-60 dollars you spent.

SMOKEU
8th October 2012, 16:31
1 drill bit to drill holes in the exhaust of the CBR250 I used to have.

Maha
8th October 2012, 16:33
For a number of years now, I have been using a strip on black insulation tape across the top of my visor...works magic riding into the sun/sun strike.

jellywrestler
8th October 2012, 16:55
* Ariete right angle tyre valves - these aren't OEM fitment why!?!?
better still why don't the cunts at the gas stations have motorcycle friendly air fittings?
classic case Caltex Rimutaka, how many bikes have stopped there and gassed up over the years for a squit up the hill yet the owners of the station still got a shitty old fitting that won't fit most bikes...

Road kill
8th October 2012, 17:05
Icebreaker undergloves. Thin like silk and fold up to fit in the smallest pocket of your jacket. Worn under your summer gloves turns them into winter gloves. First time you need them you will not regret the 30-60 dollars you spent.

Betterer still,,why don't bikers carry a uni adapter in their tool kit like I do ?

Laava
8th October 2012, 21:18
Betterer still,,why don't bikers carry a uni adapter in their tool kit like I do ?

For left and right hand?

BMWST?
8th October 2012, 21:25
plastic bags over socks...and get wet from the inside?

Dangsta
8th October 2012, 21:26
I grabbed one of those cramp-buster plastic things that slip onto the throttle. Cost me about 5 bucks on ebay. Fuck I love that little curly plastic bastard on the longer trips.

puddytat
8th October 2012, 21:32
Earplugs....

Oakie
8th October 2012, 21:32
For a number of years now, I have been using a strip on black insulation tape across the top of my visor...works magic riding into the sun/sun strike.

I've often thought of doing that. More likely though I'd have it on the bottom as I usually ride with the visor up.

gammaguy
8th October 2012, 22:03
better still why don't the cunts at the gas stations have motorcycle friendly air fittings?
classic case Caltex Rimutaka, how many bikes have stopped there and gassed up over the years for a squit up the hill yet the owners of the station still got a shitty old fitting that won't fit most bikes...

fuck em

I always used to gas up in Featherston instead

ducatilover
8th October 2012, 22:34
All my bikes and everything I own is cheap. So is my life, so I win.

Best money spent though? All of it.

sootie
9th October 2012, 08:50
Best after fit for Group Riding is good bike to bike Group Comms gear. (forget Bluetooth)
If you ride with others, why would you not want to talk to them all while riding?
The hard bits are: $$$$, getting it to work well & making it reliable.
Ask the Goldwing boys - they have some good options available to them, but it is very expensive.
Most Goldwing riders seem to have it & they will all tell you "Good value for money".

Interesting thread though, and many interesting responses. :) :)

Big Dave
9th October 2012, 12:57
If you ride with others, why would you not want to talk to them all while riding?

Because I can't think of anything I'd like to do less. Talking is for when we get there.

I definitely see benefit in road captain, crew and tail end charlie being wired though.

F5 Dave
9th October 2012, 13:04
Only thing that concerns me about under gloves & bags on boots; is you are creating a low friction interface between the appendage & the protection gear. In big auto & train accidents people seem to lose shoes, but on a bike you are tumbling down the road flailing limbs, you want to be pretty sure the boot or glove doesn't decide its easier to slip off than slide & stay on.

On proper bike boots that's not likely, but loose fitting boots they could be like gumboots, or old style gloves without wrist straps (if you tighten them every ride).

imdying
9th October 2012, 13:21
You'll have to toss that up between the alternative which is feet too wet and cold to react in a timely manner. Or, you know, the other alternative, which is expensive boots that last about half n hour before giving up to the water.

george formby
9th October 2012, 14:10
After cat stranglers. gaffa tape, neck warmer & silicon spray the best thing I ever paid for was a "woolly bear", North Sea divers under suit. Staved off hypothermia on a daily basis winter riding in Scotland. Second hand & not a bit whiffy it was 20 quid.
Oh, closely followed by an equally sexy one piece waterproof over suit, ideal for proper mans riding. Another 20 quid, after my first off in it I bought the gaffa tape.....:laugh:

p.dath
9th October 2012, 15:20
Pledge for the visor. Kerosene to clean the chain. Both cheap and work well.

Big Dave
9th October 2012, 15:32
Pledge for the visor. Kerosene to clean the chain. Both cheap and work well.

After that - you can come and polish my furniture. Get a Pinlock. :-P

sootie
9th October 2012, 15:41
Because I can't think of anything I'd like to do less. Talking is for when we get there.

I definitely see benefit in road captain, crew and tail end charlie being wired though.
Certainly agree with the second bit, but you must be a fun Dad to travel in the car or pillion with!

How do you tell your mates you need petrol or a pee?
Best one I have had so far was trying to tell a "silent" rider that his bike seemed to be on fire!

Big Dave
9th October 2012, 16:49
How do you tell your mates you need petrol or a pee?

Regrouping points and fuel stops are agreed before departure - pertinent to the range of each vehicle. Last man system - waits at the turnoffs.

Otherwise I'll save it for the bar. I'll have a JD thanks.

Laava
9th October 2012, 18:00
I'm the same. I asked MamaJo if she wanted an intercom and she told me in no uncertain terms that the last thing she wants is to have her relaxing motorcycling interupted by the sound of my voice! If she wants my attention a punch seems to work for her. I'm with you BD, on the JD's i mean.

sootie
9th October 2012, 18:39
I'm the same. I asked MamaJo if she wanted an intercom and she told me in no uncertain terms that the last thing she wants is to have her relaxing motorcycling interupted by the sound of my voice! If she wants my attention a punch seems to work for her. I'm with you BD, on the JD's i mean.

Regrouping points and fuel stops are agreed before departure - pertinent to the range of each vehicle. Last man system - waits at the turnoffs.

Otherwise I'll save it for the bar. I'll have a JD thanks.

Some of us can remember common beliefs before a few "modern" paradigm shifts:
"Waste of time opening shops on a Saturday nobody wants to shop then"
" Hire Purchase is a terrible way to buy anything & nobody is that stupid"
" Who would want a Credit Card, what is wrong with cash or a cheque?"
" Seat belts will kill more people than they will save"
"Smoking is only a very small health hazard & not worth worrying about"

the latest one you are both suggesting seems to be that:
[because bike to bike communications is hard to do well] "nobody wants it & it is not a good thing!"

I have never even ridden a Goldwing, but these guys seem to be out front on this one probably because it has been made easier for them (even if the cost is horrific). Some that I have spoken to have turned in to hard core bike to bike comms believers. (One of them got me started on it actually).

By the way, how do you tell someone on a busy motorway that their bike is on fire??
Forward planning??
(it was a Harley - perhaps we should have just let it burn :killingme :killingme)

Big Dave
9th October 2012, 19:08
(it was a Harley - perhaps we should have just let it burn :killingme :killingme)

I rest my case. :-)

It's not about the arrow. It's the Indian.

Subike
9th October 2012, 19:16
Um $20 for this

ducatilover
9th October 2012, 19:18
Um $20 for this
Sweet, I'll pick it up tomorrow mate

Big Dave
9th October 2012, 20:13
Sad thing is he PM'd me about a loan.

sootie
9th October 2012, 20:14
I rest my case. :-)

It's not about the arrow. It's the Indian.

OK enough for now. Still wondering how you plan for pee stops though,

and better yet, how do you forward plan for the Radar Cops?? :bye: :bye:

AllanB
9th October 2012, 20:18
Oxford neck tube thingy. Warmer than a half dozen whores down ya chest.

Laava
9th October 2012, 20:21
OK enough for now. Still wondering how you plan for pee stops though,

and better yet, how do you forward plan for the Radar Cops?? :bye: :bye:

Honestly, i have been riding for years and none of this has ever been a problem. In fact it hasn't even been discussed as an issue. Go for a ride mate and stop worrying about it?

Big Dave
9th October 2012, 20:23
You're a big boy. Pee where you want to. I don't need to know. :-)

That is one great thing about NZ. You can just walk into the bush and flop the tackle anywhere.

Over here you have to be a bit circumspect lest a snake latches on somewhere.

bogan
9th October 2012, 20:25
Still wondering how you plan for pee stops though

Kegel exercises?

I kind of like the idea of bike to bike communications, but only if the people I ride with know how to shut the hell up.

sootie
9th October 2012, 20:36
Honestly, i have been riding for years and none of this has ever been a problem. In fact it hasn't even been discussed as an issue. Go for a ride mate and stop worrying about it?

Not sure how or where you ride mate, but I do sometimes hear other bikers up this way a bit interested in ideas that help keep tabs on where the radars are situated. Some of them tell me that this would be a good cheap idea at just about any price. :confused:
Personally, I think bike to bike comms is a great idea for heaps more than just radar info - still ... :)

sootie
9th October 2012, 20:39
Kegel exercises?

I kind of like the idea of bike to bike communications, but only if the people I ride with know how to shut the hell up.

Well, as I said at the begining:
"Why would you not want to communicate with the people you choose to ride with" ????
(I certainly understand how riding alone can be enjoyable.)

Pelvic exercises to avoid the use of bike to bike comms .... original!

sootie
9th October 2012, 20:58
You're a big boy. Pee where you want to. I don't need to know. :-)

That is one great thing about NZ. You can just walk into the bush and flop the tackle anywhere.

Over here you have to be a bit circumspect lest a snake latches on somewhere.

Agree with that - more bush per sq km over here too - especially in the centre.

Actually I had a little green thing slither past behind me in a Queensland loo once when I was executing the above deed.

Now snakes, are not a good cheap idea for bikers - agree with that. :laugh:

bogan
9th October 2012, 20:59
Well, as I said at the begining:
"Why would you not want to communicate with the people you choose to ride with" ????
(I certainly understand how riding alone can be enjoyable.)

Pelvic exercises to avoid the use of bike to bike comms .... original!

Don't get me wrong, I like communicating with those I ride with, just not while riding. Enjoy the ride, not the natter :p

sootie
9th October 2012, 21:02
Don't get me wrong, I like communicating with those I ride with, just not while riding. Enjoy the ride, not the natter :p

So you sometimes actually like to be all alone with company?? :confused:

SPman
9th October 2012, 23:18
Armorall on the seat.......makes even a 50 able to thrust you to the back of the seat with it's awesome acceleration.......

Big Dave
10th October 2012, 14:46
Garments made with or of Possum fur. Under-gloves work well. Very thermally efficient and it makes sense.

OTOH Best 'thinks' in life that are expensive:

Sick toys
Lenses
Vehicles
Property
Having Children

george formby
10th October 2012, 15:00
Um $20 for this

$20?:shit: You can get a photo just like that off google for free.