PDA

View Full Version : Road test: Suzuki GSR750L1

Hitcher
12th October 2012, 20:31
Occasionally I’ve test ridden a bike never expecting to enjoy it that much. Sometimes my hunch has been right and I’ve had an underwhelming experience. Other times I have been surprised and delighted.

Today I test rode a Suzuki GSR750L1. I was surprised and delighted but not in the way I expected.

Once I owned an Aprilia SL750 Shiver. It was one of the first generation Shivers and there is much about a GSR750’s styling that reminds me of that model Shiver’s aesthetics. First-glimpse stuff, of course. Both are edgy and clean, naked, mid-size road bikes with the promise of being streetfighters. That’s about all they have in common. The Shiver is a v-twin, the GSR750 is an in-line four. And so it goes.

My test ride today had a Yoshimura slip-on muffler. Without adding a lot of volume, it gave the bike a nice throaty, raspy bark. An excellent safety enhancement...

It’s OEM rubber was a set of Bridgestone BT-016s. They worked very nicely. I’m not usually a fan of Mr Bridgestone’s tyres but I liked these.

Being a quiet day at Corporate HQ, I had time to go places and play.

It was very windy in Wellington and the Hutt Valley. The Rimutaka Hill road was extremely blustery, particularly up the wind funnel that NZTA has lovingly crafted on the Wellington side of the summit. But the Wairarapa was almost flat calm. Go figure. So off I went and carved some back roads, as you do. The bike noticed the wind on the Hill but wasn’t unduly troubled by it.

Despite being fed a bit of curry, the GSR750 consumed fuel at the rate of 17.7km per litre, according to its dashboard indicator, a number borne out by dividing the total distance traveled by the amount of fuel needed to fill the tank. I have no doubt that that figure would improve in more Christian riding conditions.

With a 17.5 litre capacity, my maths suggest that this bike will return at least 300km from a full tank. That’s to fumes. Presumably a fuel warning indicator will start twinkling at about 240km. I’d be happy with that for the sort of touring we do.

For those unfamiliar with this mid-sized Suzuki, it’s a naked, sit-up riding style. It doesn’t have the legroom of a Shiver or a Tiger 1050 but it’s not cramped. The legroom was about what I have been used to on my GSX1250FA with a modified seat in the fully raised position.

The bars had the usual control switches in the usual places, well, for a Suzuki at any rate. The clutch is cable-driven, rather than hydraulic, and has a nice weight and positive action.

The front brakes are twin-pot Tokikos and there’s a single-pot Tokiko on the rear. They were adequate, accurate and predictable. There’s no ABS on the GSR750.

Both the clutch and brake handlebar levers have span adjustment so that a rider can adapt the reach to suit their preference.

The dashboard was nicely laid out and easy to read. There’s a large analogue tach. Everything else is digital. That’s speed, gear position, fuel level, engine temperature and a clock. The scrollable part of the display includes the odometer, two trip meters and a km-per-litre indicator for each trip meter. There is a row of coloured idiot lights across the top for indicators, high beam and presumably function failures like fuel injection and oil pressure.

Yes, there’s a space for a pillion. I found one of those for a measure and sit. She noted the lack of grab handles but there is a saddle strap. Pillion legroom is apparently OK. Pillion was impressed by her ability to see forward over the rider’s helmet, not something she has been much used to on earlier rides.

So how does it go? Impressively.

Much has been made in promotional literature of the GSR750’s engine, which has been derived from the GSX-R750. They’re completely different engines and I think that comparison does neither of them justice.

The GSR is extremely tractable from the idle, and has a willing mid-range from 3,000rpm to 6,000rpm. A road legal 100kmh is about 4,250rpm in top gear in the six-speed box. Taking the engine over 8,000rpm puts a moderately hot poker up its bottom. Whoar. Unlike its sportier sibling, the front wheel is going to take a bit of persuasion to separate itself from the tarmac. Yes, it will boogie if instructed, but there is nothing to fear from reasonable application of power.

Like a lot of mid-sized Suzukis, the GSR750 has a close-ratio gearbox. This makes a gear position indicator a very useful piece of kit. The box itself is typically Suzuki: it’s just lovely and faultless.

Suspension comprises USD Kayaba front forks and a rear Kayaba monoshock. This combination doesn’t do much wrong but I found it a bit harsh. The Featherston side of the Rimutaka Hill road is a great test for suspension adequacy, particularly the descent to Featherston which is currently pretty unforgiving. Despite its looks, the GSR750 doesn’t handle as a streetfighter may but corners beautifully with little effort needed from the rider. It is predictable and assured when hurried through twisties, indeed it seemed to love being ridden like that.

There is a storage space under the removable pillion seat. It may hold two packets of cigarettes or something of similar dimensions. In addition to the usual Suzuki toolkit, there’s also a removable piece of No8 wire with a black-plastic-coated loop on one end -- ideal if one needs to birth a ewe anywhere on one’s travels.

So how would I score it? I’d give it four out of five stars. Would I own one? Time may tell.

Thanks to Pete McDonald and Wellington Motorcycles for providing today's ride.

oscarnz
12th October 2012, 20:48
Occasionally I’ve test ridden a bike never expecting to enjoy it that much. Sometimes my hunch has been right and I’ve had an underwhelming experience. Other times I have been surprised and delighted.

Today I test rode a Suzuki GSR750L1. I was surprised and delighted but not in the way I expected.

Once I owned an Aprilia SL750 Shiver. It was one of the first generation Shivers and there is much about a GSR750’s styling that reminds me of that model Shiver’s aesthetics. First-glimpse stuff, of course. Both are edgy and clean, naked, mid-size road bikes with the promise of being streetfighters. That’s about all they have in common. The Shiver is a v-twin, the GSR750 is an in-line four. And so it goes.

My test ride today had a Yoshimura slip-on muffler. Without adding a lot of volume, it gave the bike a nice throaty, raspy bark. An excellent safety enhancement...

It’s OEM rubber was a set of Bridgestone BT-016s. They worked very nicely. I’m not usually a fan of Mr Bridgestone’s tyres but I liked these.

Being a quiet day at Corporate HQ, I had time to go places and play.

It was very windy in Wellington and the Hutt Valley. The Rimutaka Hill road was extremely blustery, particularly up the wind funnel that NZTA has lovingly crafted on the Wellington side of the summit. But the Wairarapa was almost flat calm. Go figure. So off I went and carved some back roads, as you do. The bike noticed the wind on the Hill but wasn’t unduly troubled by it.

Despite being fed a bit of curry, the GSR750 consumed fuel at the rate of 17.7km per litre, according to its dashboard indicator, a number borne out by dividing the total distance traveled by the amount of fuel needed to fill the tank. I have no doubt that that figure would improve in more Christian riding conditions.

With a 17.5 litre capacity, my maths suggest that this bike will return at least 300km from a full tank. That’s to fumes. Presumably a fuel warning indicator will start twinkling at about 240km. I’d be happy with that for the sort of touring we do.

For those unfamiliar with this mid-sized Suzuki, it’s a naked, sit-up riding style. It doesn’t have the legroom of a Shiver or a Tiger 1050 but it’s not cramped. The legroom was about what I have been used to on my GSX1250FA with a modified seat in the fully raised position.

The bars had the usual control switches in the usual places, well, for a Suzuki at any rate. The clutch is cable-driven, rather than hydraulic, and has a nice weight and positive action.

The front brakes are twin-pot Tokikos and there’s a single-pot Tokiko on the rear. They were adequate, accurate and predictable. There’s no ABS on the GSR750.

Both the clutch and brake handlebar levers have span adjustment so that a rider can adapt the reach to suit their preference.

The dashboard was nicely laid out and easy to read. There’s a large analogue tach. Everything else is digital. That’s speed, gear position, fuel level, engine temperature and a clock. The scrollable part of the display includes the odometer, two trip meters and a km-per-litre indicator for each trip meter. There is a row of coloured idiot lights across the top for indicators, high beam and presumably function failures like fuel injection and oil pressure.

Yes, there’s a space for a pillion. I found one of those for a measure and sit. She noted the lack of grab handles but there is a saddle strap. Pillion legroom is apparently OK. Pillion was impressed by her ability to see forward over the rider’s helmet, not something she has been much used to on earlier rides.

So how does it go? Impressively.

Much has been made in promotional literature of the GSR750’s engine, which has been derived from the GSX-R750. They’re completely different engines and I think that comparison does neither of them justice.

The GSR is extremely tractable from the idle, and has a willing mid-range from 3,000rpm to 6,000rpm. A road legal 100kmh is about 4,250rpm in top gear in the six-speed box. Taking the engine over 8,000rpm puts a moderately hot poker up its bottom. Whoar. Unlike its sportier sibling, the front wheel is going to take a bit of persuasion to separate itself from the tarmac. Yes, it will boogie if instructed, but there is nothing to fear from reasonable application of power.

Like a lot of mid-sized Suzukis, the GSR750 has a close-ratio gearbox. This makes a gear position indicator a very useful piece of kit. The box itself is typically Suzuki: it’s just lovely and faultless.

Suspension comprises USD Kayaba front forks and a rear Kayaba monoshock. This combination doesn’t do much wrong but I found it a bit harsh. The Featherston side of the Rimutaka Hill road is a great test for suspension adequacy, particularly the descent to Featherston which is currently pretty unforgiving. Despite its looks, the GSR750 doesn’t handle as a streetfighter may but corners beautifully with little effort needed from the rider. It is predictable and assured when hurried through twisties, indeed it seemed to love being ridden like that.

There is a storage space under the removable pillion seat. It may hold two packets of cigarettes or something of similar dimensions. In addition to the usual Suzuki toolkit, there’s also a removable piece of No8 wire with a black-plastic-coated loop on one end -- ideal if one needs to birth a ewe anywhere on one’s travels.

So how would I score it? I’d give it four out of five stars. Would I own one? Time may tell.

Nice report, must agree they are nice bikes, I brought one for my partner last year, we are rather impressed.

Glowerss
12th October 2012, 22:20
It's nice to see a sensible review! So many people can't get over the fact that this bike isn't nor was it ever meant to be, a naked gsxr 750. It's definitely a bike on the dream "To own list".

Right on mate. Be interesting to see what you end up on after the unexpected and rather sad demise of your 1250 :(

mulletman
13th October 2012, 03:28
Riding position looks good :niceone:

jrandom
13th October 2012, 05:21
I did seriously consider a GSR750 last year. If I hadn't been obsessed with fulfilling a childhood dream of owning a Harley-Davidson, it would've been an obvious choice. But I wanted something a little less UJM-y, really.

Of course, the GSR750's now been supplanted in my mind by the 2012 KTM 690 Duke. Which isn't here for another couple of months, so it may miss your purchasing window. But, if you have patience enough...

Maha
13th October 2012, 08:30
In terms of ''safety''...what are your thoughts on the non adjustable suspension?..much like the Shiver.

You didn't elabroate on this bit...''The Featherston side of the Rimutaka Hill road is a great test for suspension adequacy, particularly the descent to Featherston which is currently pretty unforgiving''

FJRider
13th October 2012, 10:26

But would you handle 1635 km's on it within a 24 hour period ... 1st weekend in December ...

Hitcher
13th October 2012, 10:51
In terms of ''safety''...what are your thoughts on the non adjustable suspension?..much like the Shiver.

You didn't elabroate on this bit...''The Featherston side of the Rimutaka Hill road is a great test for suspension adequacy, particularly the descent to Featherston which is currently pretty unforgiving''

Most bikes that have "adjustable" suspension really have non-adjustable suspension. The turnable knobs and clicketty adjusters really make fuck all difference. Serious suspension enhancement requires the deft hand of a skilled professional, either to swap the emulators and springs for something more functional, or to replace the internals completely, as I did recently with the K-Tech interiors for the front suspenders on my GSX1250FA.

But would you handle 1635 km's on it within a 24 hour period ... 1st weekend in December ...

No worries on that score. I knocked off about 225km yesterday (thanks Wellington Motorcycles) and felt like I could have ridden it for much longer than that. The riding position is good. The seat squab is firmish, but that's infinitely preferable to plush and spongie on any motorcycle. For a naked in big wind the riding position is very clean in terms of passing air wash. And one's helmet is always so much quieter on a naked bike, where it can do what it's manufacturer intended without having to compete with screen-induced turbulence.

Hitcher
13th October 2012, 10:52
In my initial report I neglected to mention the fuelling. If not perfect, it's faultless. Not bad for a cable-driven EFI system. The fuelling on the GSX1250FA was very good, but the GSR750 is better.

James Deuce
13th October 2012, 10:56
Red or Blue. The Blue is sparkly!

Hitcher
13th October 2012, 11:02
Red or Blue. The Blue is sparkly!

They also come in white or black, according to Mr Suzuki's web site. Red appears to have been discontinued, possibly for safety reasons, given that it is a proven fact that red bikes go 7.31% faster than other colours.

White could be too reminiscent of a Shiver. Black is black, in the words of a song, so best not go there.

Ocean1
13th October 2012, 11:58
Black is black, in the words of a song, so best not go there.

Here instead?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LQ123T3zD2k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hitcher
13th October 2012, 13:13
Here instead?

Lust never sleeps.

nzspokes
13th October 2012, 13:45
In my initial report I neglected to mention the fuelling. If not perfect, it's faultless. Not bad for a cable-driven EFI system. The fuelling on the GSX1250FA was very good, but the GSR750 is better.

Not having ridden a EFI bike, is there issues with the fueling on some of them? The new Bandits are ok?

Glowerss
13th October 2012, 13:52
Not having ridden a EFI bike, is there issues with the fueling on some of them? The new Bandits are ok?

The GSR 600, which preceeded the 750, had the worst throttle stumble of any bike in history. The gsr 600 was pretty rubbish by all accounts, but apparently the worst of its faults was you'd crack open the throttle and it would delay and stumble for a second before going off.

Seems suzuki sorted it for the 750

James Deuce
13th October 2012, 14:11
The GSR 600, which preceeded the 750, had the worst throttle stumble of any bike in history. The gsr 600 was pretty rubbish by all accounts, but apparently the worst of its faults was you'd crack open the throttle and it would delay and stumble for a second before going off.

Seems suzuki sorted it for the 750
The injectors are 60 degrees from vertical in relation to the throttle bodies. That angle has been reduced by half for the 750.

Hitcher
13th October 2012, 17:27

Yes, and yes.

Some earlier injected bikes were quite average in the fuelling department. I once owned a 2005 Honda ST1300. Its fuelling was irritating, particularly when trying to hold constant engine speeds around corners. I've ridden other injected bikes that have been laggy or lumpy under the throttle.

The new injected 1250 Bandits and their siblings are pretty hard to fault.

Akzle
13th October 2012, 19:18
nice writeup.

mulletman
13th October 2012, 22:18
Most bikes that have "adjustable" suspension really have non-adjustable suspension. The turnable knobs and clicketty adjusters really make fuck all difference. Serious suspension enhancement requires the deft hand of a skilled professional, either to swap the emulators and springs for something more functional, or to replace the internals completely, as I did recently with the K-Tech interiors for the front suspenders on my GSX1250FA.

Those clicketty adjusters and turnable knobs make shitloads of diffrerence WTF ? Turns lots of bikes
from wallowy pigs to something that goes round corners pretty darn good. You sound like an advertisement for....

For a naked in big wind the riding position is very clean in terms of passing air wash. And one's helmet is always so much quieter on a naked bike, where it can do what it's manufacturer intended without having to compete with screen-induced turbulence

Screen's arrrgh i totally get you here also horrid noisey things, same with mirrors on stalks.

jrandom
14th October 2012, 06:00
Black is the One True Colour.

Thank goodness. I was a little concerned that you might've found yourself riding Yet Another Blue and White Japanese Bike.

jrandom
14th October 2012, 06:02
Most bikes that have "adjustable" suspension really have non-adjustable suspension. The turnable knobs and clicketty adjusters really make fuck all difference.

That wasn't the case on my GSX1400 - the knobs turned it from frankly shit into quite acceptable.

actungbaby
14th October 2012, 11:29

Thanks to Pete McDonald and Wellington Motorcycles for providing today's ride.

yes i read good things in the herald about this bike think your report was really great.

I whould get one if had the money

sinned
15th October 2012, 20:07
I rode the GRS750 in November 2011. Time flies when having fun as I thought it was this year and it took a while to find this post in my riding blog:

"Friday, November 18, 2011

GSR 750 (http://hayabusarider.blogspot.co.nz/2011_11_01_archive.html#7701018281446087574)

Today I rode a GSR750. I was in WMC to window shop and inquire about tyres for the Busa and there was the demo GSR750. A brief discussion with Pete and it was ready for a short test ride.

I didn't have much time for a ride. My ride was up the motorway to Newlands and then back for a run up Ngaio Gorge Road. The GSR750 is a nice lightweight naked that would suit me fine for commuting, around town use and a blast on the open road. It is so much lighter than the Hayabusa. The engine pulls well, even at low speed in higher gears. The brakes are fine and I had to test these having read test reports that were less than complimentary; there is nothing about the brakes that I could complain about. In fact they bite more easily than the Busa brakes.

It is a nice bike and if I needed a commuter this would suit me fine. It is very well priced."

nudemetalz
15th October 2012, 20:26
Good write up, guys. I do like the look of the GSR and red does it justice for sure.

After owning a 1250 would go to a 750, Hitcher?

Hitcher
15th October 2012, 20:37
After owning a 1250 would go to a 750, Hitcher?

I've previously gone straight from a 1300 to a 750. For me, motorcycling isn't about the size, it's about the experience.

Ocean1
15th October 2012, 20:40
it's about the experience.

Experience this:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/153731-Buell-Loki?p=1130415496#post1130415496

nudemetalz
15th October 2012, 21:18
I've previously gone straight from a 1300 to a 750. For me, motorcycling isn't about the size, it's about the experience.

Actually you are quite right. That's what took me to the V-11 from the ZX-10.
137hp to 95hp and Japanese to Italian. The riding experience spoke for itself.

Wonder if Suzuki would make a GSR-1000. That could be quite a machine. Same hp but lots of torque.

Berg
2nd November 2012, 20:39
Well, Mrs Berg now has 24,000kms on her GSR750 and she's loved every bit of it. A brake bleed early in the piece sorted the soft front stoppers and its now fitted with heated grips, storm bark busters, Givi screen, Scott oiler and a very tidy radiator guard. She's already decided the replacement bike will be another GSR750 (probably late next year at about 60k)