PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hand Trials bikes?

Eddieb
12th October 2012, 21:08
Anyone got any unwanted early modern trials bikes taking up space in the garage?

I was thinking of getting one if I could find one in my price range. Something like a mid 90's Beta Techno or whatever for $1500 or a little over.

Am I dreaming?

george formby
13th October 2012, 09:04
Anyone got any unwanted early modern trials bikes taking up space in the garage?

I was thinking of getting one if I could find one in my price range. Something like a mid 90's Beta Techno or whatever for $1500 or a little over.

Am I dreaming?

Hens teeth & rocking horse $#!t come to mind. I'm looking too, old twin shockers are going for silly money & newer bikes seem to hold their value exceedingly well. I was advised to make my self known to the local trials club, a lot of riders are more mature & not trade me savvy. Their was a K roo advertised for that sort of money a wee while ago.

Trialing it
13th October 2012, 20:04
You could always ring up John Lawton at Kapiti Motorcycles Ltd, Beta importer, 04 2970240 he might know of a bike floating around.
Otherwise come along to the next Ixion club trial also BSA shield event. 11th November, Maungakotukutuku Valley Road 10-3:30'ish. Make yourself known and something might come about it.

From what I have seen in the club and in the trials community in general bikes sell in the lower value $2000-3500 real quick.

mossy1200
13th October 2012, 20:34
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/dirt-bikes/auction-522223449.htm

george formby
14th October 2012, 09:13
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/dirt-bikes/auction-522223449.htm

That's been for sale for awhile now I believe.
Shame it's in the S'arf Island.

mossy1200
14th October 2012, 09:19
That's been for sale for awhile now I believe.
Shame it's in the S'arf Island.

Not the easiest spot to get collected from either.

Eddieb
14th October 2012, 09:20
There's also some debate about whether it is as it's advertised. I've never head of JCM and would prefer something a little more known, and presumably supported.

george formby
14th October 2012, 09:32
They are definitely vintage.

Linky to JCM museum & dinosaur collection (http://www.twnclub.ch/classic_trial_files/Arbecey2010/Arbecey2010.htm)

mossy1200
14th October 2012, 09:45
There's also some debate about whether it is as it's advertised. I've never head of JCM and would prefer something a little more known, and presumably supported.

You would be best to ask your local club about what types to avoid. They will know alot more about maintence and parts in the area.
The average KB wont have riden one or know alot. It would be a very limited number who own one.

Idd love to have one but havent ever riden one.

george formby
14th October 2012, 09:48
Trials is a funny thing. A mate bought an 80's Fantic, Steve Colley rep, air cooled mono shock. He can source just about everything including new plastics from the UK, off a guy with a flat cap & a whippet. It's easier to get parts for than my Lanza. Go figure.

F5 Dave
18th October 2012, 13:14
Actually a mate might want to sell my old Beta TR34 (ish) aircooled but single shock disc brake. He's pretty local to you.

Eddieb
28th October 2012, 20:25
Thanks Dave. I've just picked up a Beta Techno today.

If he does want to sell it it sounds like there's other people looking for them.

mossy1200
28th October 2012, 20:28

If he does want to sell it it sounds like there's other people looking for them.

Im after one.
Need to sell my bucket racer or swap it for one though.

Ocean1
28th October 2012, 20:42
Im after one.
Need to sell my bucket racer or swap it for one though.

Get to a meeting: http://www.ixion.org.nz/cald.html

mossy1200
28th October 2012, 20:48
Get to a meeting: http://www.ixion.org.nz/cald.html

Will do. I promised my wife to not buy a new toy until the bucket sells. once thats sold ill go to a event and see whats for sale if I cant find one. Theres one on tard me and I contacted him a few days ago.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=525489308

F5 Dave
29th October 2012, 08:20
Ahh Eddie, you've gone all modern. New Owner of my GasGas keeps telling me how much he likes it & to rub it in he's doing A grade. :brick:

Eddieb
14th March 2013, 19:10
Putting around on the lawn a few days ago

silver_duck
14th March 2013, 19:31
Thats no way to secure a bike to a trailer... :nono:

You should put something between the tyre and tripple clamp., otherwise you're compressing the forks to their full extent and stressing seals.

I might be wrong... it happens a lot.

silver_duck
14th March 2013, 19:32
Oh, and bike looks cool.. I'm dead jealous. :clap:

Eddieb
14th March 2013, 19:41

You should put something between the tyre and tripple clamp., otherwise you're compressing the forks to their full extent and stressing seals.

I've been carrying bikes that way for 20 years and never popped a seal yet.

Oh, and bike looks cool.. I'm dead jealous. :clap:

Now I need to find somewhere in/near Hamilton to ride it.

racer40
25th August 2013, 14:07
Hi guys, if anyone is looking, my Bro is selling 2x montesas, I think 1 is a 348 Cota & the other a 250, if anyone interested call me & I ll put him onto you.

mossy1200
25th August 2013, 14:51
Hi guys, if anyone is looking, my Bro is selling 2x montesas, I think 1 is a 348 Cota & the other a 250, if anyone interested call me & I ll put him onto you.

what kind of prices?

george formby
25th August 2013, 15:15

Would dat be de two on trade me?

I'm looking for a trials bike, cheap, easy to start, reliable & easy spares supply. Just for mucking around on in the garden. I learned to ride on a Cota & a Bultaco... They were brutes for a 7 year old.

Oh, my local bike mechanic has a Fantic K roo, 250 I think, sat out the back. The bike looks pretty clean & I know the guy he bought it off. Sounds crisp, I had the pleasure of starting the forward kick, high compression beast because I had moto x boots. Problem is the hydraulic clutch master cylinder is poked & he can't get the bits. Any interest or info let me know. If he fixed it I would have it in a trice but I need a bike the wee girlfriend can start. This thing needs a big foot. Probably sub $2000 fixed, as is, not sure.

racer40
2nd September 2013, 20:27
Hi mossey, I think about $1000 each, were running a year or so ago until he broke his leg, now he cant kick them over

mossy1200
2nd September 2013, 20:57
Hi mossey, I think about $1000 each, were running a year or so ago until he broke his leg, now he cant kick them over

Send me a pm but im in trouble with the wife at the moment. I was trying to see the conversion rate on a pcV and confirmed the purchase accidentally so im in the dog box.

Crasherfromwayback
2nd September 2013, 21:19

I might be wrong... it happens a lot.

Not true. But bit hard on the fork springs if you leave 'em like that forever.

Crasherfromwayback
2nd September 2013, 21:21

That looks pretty good mate! May I ask what something like that is worth?

Ocean1
2nd September 2013, 21:26
Not true. But bit hard on the fork springs if you leave 'em like that forever.

Aye. The thing that gets me about the chock-it-up theory is: what happens if the chock falls out?

If it's pulled down to within an inch or so of bottoming out it can't escape.

Crasherfromwayback
2nd September 2013, 21:35
Aye. The thing that gets me about the chock-it-up theory is: what happens if the chock falls out?

If it's pulled down to within an inch or so of bottoming out it can't escape.

Yeah fuck the chock mate! Funny eh. If using all of your suspension travel resulted in popped fork seals...you'd be forever replacing 'em in ya moto-x bike eh!

Eddieb
2nd September 2013, 21:35
That looks pretty good mate! May I ask what something like that is worth?

What it's worth and what I paid for it aren't necessarily the same thing. It's probably worth $2500.

Crasherfromwayback
2nd September 2013, 21:37
What it's worth and what I paid for it aren't necessarily the same thing. It's probably worth $2500.

Lol. I hear ya mate. I own a bike like that myself. Good score then!

F5 Dave
3rd September 2013, 11:17
Yeah fuck the chook mate! . . .
Fixed it for ya.:shutup:

Crasherfromwayback
3rd September 2013, 11:32
Fixed it for ya.:shutup:

Much better!!!

F5 Dave
3rd September 2013, 11:41
And you no wot I fink about chickens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72zLHGCOm-0

Crasherfromwayback
3rd September 2013, 12:04
Never kiss a chicken on the lips.

98tls
22nd February 2014, 17:58
Never kiss a chicken on the lips.

Was yapping to my old man a week or so ago mate,i enquired about the TL250 he bought new and has had since,when he bought the thing he purchased a big bore kit with it (305 from memory) as he put it "didnt expect it would last long" but the thing just went and never once let him down even with big miles under its belt,was still like every bike hes owned in impeccable nick,anyway after asking he informed me he sold it awhile ago for a grand complete with the unused bore kit:brick:must have noticed my pissed of ness over the phone about the price and simply replied "well the fucking thing only cost $1700 new".:wacko:

Eddieb
7th July 2014, 09:04
:(

http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/topic/beta-techno-250-trials-bike/

PM me a realistic offer

http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/BetaTechno1.jpg

Crasherfromwayback
8th July 2014, 10:37
:(

e/[/url]

PM me a realistic offer

[]

That's as cool as shit. If I had any spare coin at the mo I'd love to own it. Good luck with the sale.