PDA

View Full Version : computer power supply question

MOTOXXX
8th August 2005, 18:46
does anyone know what the difference between +5v and +5v Good is?

any help would be great.

thanks

raster
8th August 2005, 19:04
I know a PSU has multiple voltages output.

3V, +12V, -12V, +5V and -5V.

don't know what you are trying to do but try these websites.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/power-supply.htm

http://www.webx.dk/oz2cpu/radios/psu-pc1.htm

MOTOXXX
8th August 2005, 19:10
yea they have +5v good wire also. im doing it at my course at the moment.

its an older at power supply.

raster
8th August 2005, 19:28
maybe you need to get the course instructor to earn his money and ask him/her.
I have been attempting to build a motherboard PSU to run from 12V car battery, plenty will sell them from the states, can't find any suppliers in NZ without going 115V.

let me know what you find out.

MOTOXXX
8th August 2005, 19:29
cheers dude
ill let u know

GSVR
8th August 2005, 19:39
maybe you need to get the course instructor to earn his money and ask him/her.
I have been attempting to build a motherboard PSU to run from 12V car battery, plenty will sell them from the states, can't find any suppliers in NZ without going 115V.

let me know what you find out.

Easiest way to run a Standard PC and Printer from your car battery is to buy an inverter.

If you did build a PSU how would you run the monitor?

raster
8th August 2005, 19:43
Easiest way to run a Standard PC and Printer from your car battery is to buy an inverter.

If you did build a PSU how would you run the monitor?

4" LCD with touch screen, $400, although you can get 15" LCD's that run 12V but not touch screen.

I want to make a incar MP3 player. wireless to home machine to upload what I want, can fit a fair few songs on 40G HDD.

GSVR
8th August 2005, 19:44
does anyone know what the difference between +5v and +5v Good is?

any help would be great.

thanks

Power Good logic output, 0 or 5V. Power Good high (=1) means that the. power is good for operation.

Basically its saying that the PSU has stabilized and its telling the MB that its OK to boot up.

raster
8th August 2005, 19:46
Power Good logic output, 0 or 5V. Power Good high (=1) means that the. power is good for operation.

Basically its saying that the PSU has stabilized and its telling the MB that its OK to boot up.

a switch that comes on when power is up to 12V.
Sounds about right.

GSVR
8th August 2005, 19:47
4" LCD with touch screen, $400, although you can get 15" LCD's that run 12V but not touch screen.

I want to make a incar MP3 player. wireless to home machine to upload what I want, can fit a fair few songs on 40G HDD.

I was looking at this some time ago. There are a few sites with guys that have built MP3 harddrives for their cars and all the info. Most of this was done before Ipods and suchlike came on the market.

raster
8th August 2005, 19:56
I was looking at this some time ago. There are a few sites with guys that have built MP3 harddrives for their cars and all the info. Most of this was done before Ipods and suchlike came on the market.

Have you got some records of these sites, I have found one in USA but with purchased kits, about $1000 american before you get to the computer.

GSVR
8th August 2005, 20:33
Heres some I just Googled. The more you search the more ideas you will get.

http://www.chaos.org.uk/~altman/mp3mobile/

http://www.bobblick.com/techref/projects/mp3book/mp3book.html

http://www.aaroncake.net/projects/mp3player.htm

To power a standard pc from a car battery you would need to build a switchmode PS which in itself is very time consuming just for a one off.

All that is required to play MP3s is something like a Pentium 200. Maybee buying a old laptop would be the go.

The only turnoff with the little HD mp3 players is the crappy little interface. Basically all they are is a laptop HD with an interface and a few firmware codecs

Laptop would be the way to go. If you got a more modern one you could even play DVDs , capture video , or watch TV.

raster
8th August 2005, 20:47
Thanks for that GaryH, all I need now is someone to understand the scematics of the PSU, got the rest pretty much sorted out.

GSVR
8th August 2005, 20:57
These sorts of projects take alot of nutting out.

Some people will think you wasting your time. Why not just buy a car stereo?

But if you manage to build something that works well others will be impressed by your abilities.

Good luck if you decide to have a go at it.

pete376403
9th August 2005, 17:34
Why not use the guts of an older laptop in the car? Most laptops can be run from 12v cig lighter socket. Touch screen might take a bit more effort
I used an old NEC P100 as the MP3 player for my bike - sat in the top box, with a long lead up to a 3.5mm stereo jack between the seat and the tank.
Worked fine, even while falling off on a wet road/rail bridge (as the Titanic went down, the band played on...)

(Posted this before noting GarryH's post)