PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha XJR1300

James Deuce
14th October 2012, 20:07
This motorcycle completely fell in my lap. At about 260kg with fluids, that's not necessarily a comfortable event, however I'm not complaining.

Mate.

I love retro bikes. My favourite is Guzzi's V7 Racer, closely followed by Kawasaki's W800, but they're both a touch expensive for what they are. The Guzzi especially. So when this friend gave me an option to liberate his XJR from his shed for the right amount, having replaced it but neglecting to either trade the XJR in or sell it, I literally jumped at the chance. Given that he is a workmate, jumping into his lap and kissing him was probably career limiting, but sometimes you have to go with what feels right.

It had issues. The fork seals were more rust than seal. The seat was torn in a couple of places and the seat foam was utterly soaked. It had a giant Givi screen that made it look like Nadzeya Ostapchuk, including the face of Jake from Two and a Half Men. Despite everything in the suspension department being wound up to full it would slow weave on the brakes, wander up to the apex and then aim for the Kermadecs on the exit, while the ape on the back sweated and grunted and wrestled and kicked and swore and tried to guess where the next bounce would land.

The engine though, made up for everything. It's roots stretch back more than 30 years to the XS11 and its character is so utterly unlike modern fours as to be literally incomparable. Peak torque is at 65% of max revs, as is peak power. That's a substantial overrun capability. More importantly, the torque curve is long and almost flat. It tracks true with the rear tyre spinning when some jackass tries to launch like he's riding a 750.

I bought a new seat cover from the UK, that got sent to my old address so Deano (I still owe him beer) rescued it for me. I then got the cover professionally stapled on by a chap who very careful dried the foam out so that it didn't crumble. He also used stainless steel staples - a bit more expensive by do it right I reckon.

Going through the manual revealed 536mls of 10W oil per fork leg. Going through a number of forums revealed 15W to be a better bet, but 536mls. Come Orrrrrrrrrrn. That means two 1 litre bottles of oil. That's just mean. 501mls would have been some engineer obvioulsy taking the piss. 536mls is subtle, but still a piss take, you bastard.

Oil and dust seals turned up fairly quickly, but the circlips still haven't. The old ones turned out to be almost adequate, so next time. Last weekend I rode the long way to Paul-in-NZ's place and "we" did the fork seals. By "we" I mean he did all the gnarly stuff, including providing another mate with a lucky streak who happened to be on hand the exact instant a weird solution to a tricky problem that had occupied a couple of hours was applied. He took all the credit of course. The broken fishing pole used as a damper rod retaining tool had nothing to do with it.

The uncertain front end was simply stiction. Dead oil and dust seals binding unevenly causing the front end to walk a little made the XJR feel like a CBX400 with worn steering head bearings. As evidenced by the extreme swearing demonstration whilst ascending the Paekakariki Hill road and having to steer away from the cliff faces at the apex of every left-hander as the suddenly very direct steering and smooth fork action conspired to make the XJR lunge harder and quicker at the apex than a Marion St transsexual prostitute at a very drunk punter.

No longer dancing at the apex and wallowing away from it, the XJR now sweeps majestically in a controlled arc, and the the boot touching down provokes a grin instead of screaming panic.

I spent this weekend tidying a few things up. I've attached before (before seat cover replacement and fork seals and screen removal) and after pictures. I think it looks better without the screen. Just need to get a #15 Ventura grab rail and it will look less truck-like and lot more retro, but I'll still have a luggage system, when needed.. Yay me.

nzspokes
14th October 2012, 20:22
Sweet bike. Nothing like a air cooled big bore.:cool:

Hitcher
14th October 2012, 20:25
Hmmm. Retro bikes. One still has very fond memories of one's ZRX1200R...

Kickaha
14th October 2012, 21:08
Just need to get a #15 Ventura grab rail and it will look less truck-like and lot more retro, but I'll still have a luggage system, when needed.. Yay me.
Do you have a bag to fit the luggage rack? I have a Ventura Bathurst pack you can have on loan

James Deuce
14th October 2012, 21:10
Thank you sir, I have a bag.

caseye
14th October 2012, 21:54
Bullet proof they are, nice work there JD, looks very good for her age.

ducatilover
14th October 2012, 21:55
They're a great looking bike, well done, much jealous.

GrayWolf
14th October 2012, 22:21
and people wonder why the 'old' FJ 11/1200's are still lauded as extremely competent tourers... That motor says it all!!!

Good score JD.

Blackbird
15th October 2012, 06:06
Bloody gorgeous Jim, I'd happily own one. Got rid of the Givi blade yet?

Haggis2
15th October 2012, 07:15
Nice bike, I've seen uglier screens :sick: but agreed looks better without. Those pipes look like they'd sound great

nudemetalz
15th October 2012, 07:26
Reminds me of the FJ1100 I had many many years ago. Big air-cooled engine with effortless grunt.

James Deuce
15th October 2012, 07:38
Bloody gorgeous Jim, I'd happily own one. Got rid of the Givi blade yet?
No - do you have a taker?
Oh, and thank you.

Phantom Limb
15th October 2012, 08:17
Great looking XJR you've snagged there. Looks like you did a really good job tidying things up.
For a bike that a lot of guys would refer to as an intercity bus, I've found the XJR's to be surprisingly nimble and very rewarding to ride. Like any bigger bike theres a bit of time spent getting to know the chassis and playing about with the adjustable suspension, but once you do I've found it hard to fault the handling. :2thumbsup

Enjoy it and watch your throttle hand, the thrust from that big 4 is very addictive! (and potentially expensive)

nudemetalz
15th October 2012, 09:21
Is there much difference between an XJR1200 and 1300 ?
(Apart from the obvious 100cc)

James Deuce
15th October 2012, 09:39
More HP, more torque (more than just the small capacity increase would indicate), less rake for the 1300, standard tyre sizes, the 1300 gets the XJR1200SP's suspenders, sans any adjustment except preload, different body work in places, slightly less weight for the 1300, Yamaha blue spot 4 piston brake calipers up front and dual at the rear. Mine's an '03. In '04 it got FZS1000 rims (lighter) stiffer springs all round and a slightly different dash. It also got a catalyst in a single muffler exhaust system.

nudemetalz
15th October 2012, 09:43
Wow,..quite an update !!
How would you rate them against a GSX1400?
I ask as I have a friend who like's the Suzuki and may purchase one in the near future.

Good on you for getting one and enjoy your riding :)

James Deuce
15th October 2012, 10:18
I don't know, I've never ridden a GSX1400, but the XJR has to be better because:

A. It's a Yamaha
B. I own one.

Phantom Limb
15th October 2012, 10:19
The XJR1300 is actually a 1250cc motor, not sure why they rounded the number up, but there you go.
The early Carbed 1300's came with three way adjustable struts on the rear, not sure why they started using preload only adjustables on the later models.

nudemetalz
15th October 2012, 10:59
I don't know, I've never ridden a GSX1400, but the XJR has to be better because:

A. It's a Yamaha
B. I own one.

Fair comment and I guess that is what g00gle is for.

Next time you're in town on the bike drop in for a coffee, as I'd love to see it.
Me seeing you these days is rather difficult.....

GrayWolf
15th October 2012, 16:38
Reminds me of the FJ1100 I had many many years ago. Big air-cooled engine with effortless grunt.

it is the same motor, now taken out to 1300cc.... it would be like getting on an old friend for you!! I think many these days (younger riders) realise the 'pedigree/history' of the XJR

Maha
15th October 2012, 16:53
Certainly a very nice one of them...no doubt about it...!
Better without the spinnaker on it...I had a tiny Givi on the CB, hardly noticiable, but it worked well.

nudemetalz
15th October 2012, 18:18
Look how good they can look too !!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/turbo_NZ/xjr1300custom1.jpg

SPman
15th October 2012, 19:08
Reminds me of the FJ1100 I had many many years ago. Big air-cooled engine with effortless grunt.The XJR13 has smaller inlet rubbers (see left) FJ rubbers on right.(36Y) Slightly shorter but, with a bit of pissing around, fit OK. Gives a bit more top end, allied with the airbox mod, and smoother and crisper through the middle, espec allied with a 4 deg ignition advancer (http://www.classicmotorcycleparts.gb.com/yamaha-xjr1300-xjr1200-4-degree-ignition-advancer-plate-1485-p.asp)
I'm running a Motad stainless collector on mine, with modded standard exhausts (rip out the end section and replace with big German outlets). Now sounds like a basso profundo WRX, ...or, it's dropped a plug.......:rolleyes: Most of these mods are cheap and easy to do - very <strike>important</strike>..satisfying.
!

GrayWolf
15th October 2012, 23:55
The XJR13 has smaller inlet rubbers (see left) FJ rubbers on right.(36Y) Slightly shorter but, with a bit of pissing around, fit OK. Gives a bit more top end, allied with the airbox mod, and smoother and crisper through the middle, espec allied with a 4 deg ignition advancer (http://www.classicmotorcycleparts.gb.com/yamaha-xjr1300-xjr1200-4-degree-ignition-advancer-plate-1485-p.asp)
I'm running a Motad stainless collector on mine, with modded standard exhausts (rip out the end section and replace with big German outlets). Now sounds like a basso profundo WRX, ...or, it's dropped a plug.......:rolleyes: Most of these mods are cheap and easy to do - very <strike>important</strike>..satisfying.
!

I've read about the carb rubber mods etc... doesnt that all bring the motor 'back' to the original 125bhp it used to produce as the FJ series?

Big Dave
16th October 2012, 13:48
You've got me gone all Hitcher, misty eyed reminiscing.

I'd own that ahead of a lot of new bikes I've ridden. F'ken motorbike - no bullshit. Nice looking, comfortable, even works good on a dirt road. (Pending hard enough rubber carcasses).

Give it the once over - bearings etc. Do the timing chain at the recommended replacement intervals and the drive train will probably outlast the chassis.

I had two XS11s in t'80s. Circumnavigated Aus on one. Had my first crash on the other - drunk. (It wasn't a crime back then.)

Ohlins stickers belong on tool chests or racing bikes with sponsorship dontchaknow. I can see it's got ferkin' suspenders :-p

Big Dave
16th October 2012, 13:52
And some prick has scribbled on your number plate.

James Deuce
16th October 2012, 13:54
Lol, and Lol. The Ohlins stickers are "Factory". Silly Yamaha. The Scorpion ones have to go too.

Or I could just chop the "n" off. 1300, sorry 1250cc Scorpio.

SPman
16th October 2012, 14:05
1253 cc - same size as a Vauxhall Viva.........

I've read about the carb rubber mods etc... doesnt that all bring the motor 'back' to the original 125bhp it used to produce as the FJ series?
No. - I think the cams are different.
Rubbers and advance give about 8-10 neddies - or more with different exhausts and a good tune - up to about 115 rwhp

Big Dave
16th October 2012, 14:11
Screen reminds me of a cake decoration. Much nicer sans. But I understand it's Wellwood too, there are better options Shirley.

GrayWolf
16th October 2012, 14:35
1253 cc - same size as a Vauxhall Viva.........

No. - I think the cams are different.
Rubbers and advance give about 8-10 neddies - or more with different exhausts and a good tune - up to about 115 rwhp

Bugger, now that I dont understand, why f**k with what is a simply outstanding engine, and drop it's power. I hope they didnt drop the torque produced as well as the bhp. I could live with that if the torque remained or improved a little.

nudemetalz
16th October 2012, 14:40
Bugger, now that I dont understand, why f**k with what is a simply outstanding engine, and drop it's power. I hope they didnt drop the torque produced as well as the bhp. I could live with that if the torque remained or improved a little.

IMHO it's all about emissions.

James Deuce
16th October 2012, 14:41
Torque the same at 108Nm. Or "adequate".

Interestingly a 1.3L Viva only has 71Nm of torque.

nudemetalz
16th October 2012, 14:47
I know which one is the better looking engine too.... ;)

Phantom Limb
16th October 2012, 15:33

If you compare the ol' FJ1200 donk to the XJR1300 at a facts and figures scale it all makes sense. Yes the FJ was said to make 130Hp or so at the front sprocket and 108Nm and yes the XJR lump only makes 100Hp and pretty much the same torque when standard. The thing to keep in mind is that the XJR motor makes the same torque 1500RPM lower in the rev range.
Going by the 'crotch meter' I thought that the XJR pulled harder than the FJ through the revs and with a good set of 4-1 headers and a re-jet the upper rev range lights up nicely.

I reckon nudemetalz got the nail on the head re- emissions though, remember the XJR is one of the few oil cooled multi cylinders still on the market, so they had to do some wizardry to get it through the new regulations! Nothing a bit of fiddling can't fix.

Another factor too may be fuel economy, the old FJ was supposed to get 34MPG, an every day ridden XJR will see 40MPG even sans faring and with a bigger motor.

SPman
16th October 2012, 15:59
40 Mpg!

Will you please tell mine, that!

James Deuce
16th October 2012, 18:00
Mine also! Tell it properly.

Ocean1
16th October 2012, 19:05
Ah huh, pic's of teh machine. Looks very tastyfull, dude.

Glad you've come to your senses about cubic capacity.

There's a speck of dirt under the headlight, there....

GrayWolf
16th October 2012, 21:12
If you compare the ol' FJ1200 donk to the XJR1300 at a facts and figures scale it all makes sense. Yes the FJ was said to make 130Hp or so at the front sprocket and 108Nm and yes the XJR lump only makes 100Hp and pretty much the same torque when standard. The thing to keep in mind is that the XJR motor makes the same torque 1500RPM lower in the rev range.
Going by the 'crotch meter' I thought that the XJR pulled harder than the FJ through the revs and with a good set of 4-1 headers and a re-jet the upper rev range lights up nicely.

I reckon nudemetalz got the nail on the head re- emissions though, remember the XJR is one of the few oil cooled multi cylinders still on the market, so they had to do some wizardry to get it through the new regulations! Nothing a bit of fiddling can't fix.

Another factor too may be fuel economy, the old FJ was supposed to get 34MPG, an every day ridden XJR will see 40MPG even sans faring and with a bigger motor.

now THAT is interesting, the FJ is producing good torque from 3k rpm, I could roll the throttle on at 50kph in top and she would pull without any 'real issue' all the way to flat out. So if max torque has been shifted down 1500rpm and remains at the same 80ft lbs? That truly will be shoulder wrencher when used in anger. it would be interesting to resurface the old girl from the back of the garage and compare it to the MT as well.

ducatilover
16th October 2012, 21:20
now THAT is interesting, the FJ is producing good torque from 3k rpm, I could roll the throttle on at 50kph in top and she would pull without any 'real issue' all the way to flat out. So if max torque has been shifted down 1500rpm and remains at the same 80ft lbs? That truly will be shoulder wrencher when used in anger. it would be interesting to resurface the old girl from the back of the garage and compare it to the MT as well.
I can vouch for the FJs roll on strength, I took one for a tootle a few times, and whilst not superbike fast up top, it could do the Pahiatua track in top, easily and not be hanging around. Very useable.
I love that motor, I want to get one and shoe horn it in to something smaller :2thumbsup

nzspokes
16th October 2012, 21:27
I love that motor, I want to get one and shoe horn it in to something smaller :2thumbsup

A GN? :wacko:

nudemetalz
16th October 2012, 21:33
Funny you guys mention FJ roll-on grunt. I assume the 1200?

I always remember my 1100 wasn't particularily lively down low compared to a mate's GSX1100EZ but past 5K would pull away from it then.
I guess Yamaha going to 1200 fixed that.

ducatilover
16th October 2012, 21:43
A GN? :wacko:
;)

Yup, the 1200 is a lovely lump.
I'd love to ride a 1300 one, although they're all a bit too heavy for a wee beggar like me

Edbear
17th October 2012, 06:40
40 Mpg!

My Kizashi easily gets 40mpg and it's 2400cc, weighs 1300kg and always has the air-con on.... ;) has just under 200hp and 230nm.

Phantom Limb
17th October 2012, 07:56

I did have sore shoulders and elbows after my first week of XJR ownership :baby:

Initially it felt like a large bloke smacking you in the back with a sledge hammer. Now it just feels great. :2thumbsup.
In hindsight I'm happy that they went for more torque over retaining the FJ's top end power, having ridden both, the XJR just feels that little bit more angry. The FJ pulled like a 747, smooth and relentless from the get go, but the XJR pulls like a catapult launched glider, if you've been gliding you'll know what I'm talking about.

40 Mpg!

Gladly!
I was shocked myself, after balancing and servicing the carbs, my average consumption went down to 5.8L/100km (40.5MPG). Where it was 6.3L/100km (37MPG) when I first got the bike.

Tigadee
17th October 2012, 08:25
Nice score, JD! Love dem Yammys!

GrayWolf
17th October 2012, 09:36

I always remember my 1100 wasn't particularily lively down low compared to a mate's GSX1100EZ but past 5K would pull away from it then.
I guess Yamaha going to 1200 fixed that.

Yes they did, the 1100 was more a 'sport bike'? if you look at the fairing etc, you'll see by the last series it was far more touring oriented. They left the top end the same (240ish KPH) but modified the cams slightly to improve the mid range stomp, and boy it improved it. Phantom has stated it perfectly, absolutely relentless torque, that is delivered 747 smooth.
The biggest 'let down' of the old FJ series was the weight and length, it always made then feel like an ocean liner on tight stuff, and they have a real tendency to 'stand up' if you apply brakes mid corner. However I can vouch from 70k of riding on one, they are damn stable and give you plenty of warning you are being a numbnuts with it, ignore that? the bike can seriously bite you in the arse.

Tigadee
17th October 2012, 10:40
Initially it felt like a large bloke smacking you in the back with a sledge hammer. Now it just feels great. :2thumbsup.

Is that what they call 'it' these days...:whistle:

nudemetalz
17th October 2012, 11:16
Yes they did, the 1100 was more a 'sport bike'? if you look at the fairing etc, you'll see by the last series it was far more touring oriented. They left the top end the same (240ish KPH) but modified the cams slightly to improve the mid range stomp, and boy it improved it. Phantom has stated it perfectly, absolutely relentless torque, that is delivered 747 smooth.
The biggest 'let down' of the old FJ series was the weight and length, it always made then feel like an ocean liner on tight stuff, and they have a real tendency to 'stand up' if you apply brakes mid corner. However I can vouch from 70k of riding on one, they are damn stable and give you plenty of warning you are being a numbnuts with it, ignore that? the bike can seriously bite you in the arse.

I think the standing up in the corners was an early '80's Yamaha 16" front wheel trait.
My FJ11 did it (I now remember that !!), my RZ500 did it just as bad...

I think if I de-Guzzi'ed myself I would by something like an XJR. They are a great looking machine.

GrayWolf
18th October 2012, 08:39
I think the standing up in the corners was an early '80's Yamaha 16" front wheel trait.
My FJ11 did it (I now remember that !!), my RZ500 did it just as bad...

I think if I de-Guzzi'ed myself I would by something like an XJR. They are a great looking machine.

Correct the 16inch wheel was far worse, but the later 17inch front wheel model still has a tendency to stand up, due to weight/length...
had a few 'interesting' moments on the old girl when pushing along (for an FJ).
In reality if you ride the bike like it should be, sport/tourer there isnt much you can fault about it. If you try to bang fairings with more modern bikes (even my ZZR1100) the 'age', technology etc soon shows itself in several depts. But the motor (1200)? to my mind was the 'peak' of air cooled 4 cyl engines, others may have been quicker and produce more power, but that engine is simply so damn usable.

ducatilover
18th October 2012, 13:31
The FJ12 could be pushed along at a pretty stupid pace, I "followed" my old man on his over the 'Takas once. Left me for dead (I'm not fast anyway, but regardless)
Ate tyres like nothing else though (probably his riding)

Phantom Limb
18th October 2012, 14:23
The FJ12 could be pushed along at a pretty stupid pace, I "followed" my old man on his over the 'Takas once. Left me for dead (I'm not fast anyway, but regardless)
Ate tyres like nothing else though (probably his riding)

I think fathers always ride hardest when their son is chasing them.
I remember chasing my old man on his Z1000, that was a laugh. Or watching the crazy old bugger try to ride his GS1150 like his Z1000 :killingme

James Deuce
20th October 2012, 15:23
Oil change done. The Internet is brilliant, because I could research all the pitfalls and issues before I started. Had the clutch actuator and side-stand switch off before I had to swear about them (they partially obscure the oil filter housing) and got #1 son to help me with the whole job.

Ran it up and it seems oil tight. Good old Repco had a 20% sale today so the funnel and drain tray and oil cost less altogether than the oil (Castrol Power 1) normally does for 4 litres.

Phantom Limb
20th October 2012, 20:10
That oil filter cover is a right bitch until you work out that the clutch actuator is a piece of piss to remove.
Once that's gone it's easy as pie :niceone:.

Maintaining the XJR's is really quite rewarding to be honest, I did a valve clearance check a while ago which was a breeze, there are some tricks to getting the cam cover gasket in and oil tight without using sealant, but in all super easy.

Also balanced the carbs using a $20 vacuum gauge and a mini G-clamp as a flow restrictor, sounds dodge but worked a charm.

FJRider
20th October 2012, 20:14

The weight has it's benefits in head/tail winds ... but side winds are a nightmare. The length has it's issues on uneven ground. (feet don't reach the ground) but thinking of doing a U turn on a two lane road ... :eek:

With it's weight .. add a little speed ... and hit the brakes .... gravity is overridden. The laws of physic's take over.

No hesitation in overtaking from 60-70 km's top gear roll on ... just picks up it's knickers and goes. NO need to change down. It might as well be an automatic gearbox.

So far ... only 60,00 km's I've been on it. (84 on the clock)

But bang for your buck ... well worth a ride.

Subike
20th October 2012, 20:21
I can vouch for the FJs roll on strength, I took one for a tootle a few times, and whilst not superbike fast up top, it could do the Pahiatua track in top, easily and not be hanging around. Very useable.

mmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2GrFEOBG60g

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2GrFEOBG60g?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

F5 Dave
23rd October 2012, 17:01
Well well, hope the 13 suits the needs well.

ermmm. . Greytown? When did you move?, thought you were still up the road.:wacko:

GrayWolf
23rd October 2012, 22:37
The weight has it's benefits in head/tail winds ... but side winds are a nightmare. The length has it's issues on uneven ground. (feet don't reach the ground) but thinking of doing a U turn on a two lane road ... :eek:

With it's weight .. add a little speed ... and hit the brakes .... gravity is overridden. The laws of physic's take over.

No hesitation in overtaking from 60-70 km's top gear roll on ... just picks up it's knickers and goes. NO need to change down. It might as well be an automatic gearbox.

So far ... only 60,00 km's I've been on it. (84 on the clock)

But bang for your buck ... well worth a ride.

Would agree just about 100% with that, but you must be a shortarse? I thought the FJ is fairly low, although I'll admit the seat is quite wide. Im curious what sort of uneven road surfaces (where) you foung the FJ to have issue's?
Yeh for mid range, if my ZZR had the low down stomp of th FJ and retained it's top end power? I would call it the perfect sport tourer engine.

FJRider
24th October 2012, 06:43
Im curious what sort of uneven road surfaces (where) you foung the FJ to have issue's?
Yeh for mid range, if my ZZR had the low down stomp of th FJ and retained it's top end power? I would call it the perfect sport tourer engine.

I hate vehicle entrance ways/driveways ... crossing the gutter. If I have to stop ... :eek5:

It's not my arse that's short ... it's the legs ... ;)