PDA

View Full Version : Pukekohe upgrade

Bykmad
15th October 2012, 11:24
Just found this on Stuff.

A longer track, three new corners, and a new corporate viewing building are among the $6.6m of changes announced today at the Pukekohe race track.

Pukekohe will be given a multi-million dollar upgrade for its return to the V8 Supercar Championship next year.

The Auckland 400 will be raced in April after being confirmed on the new supercars calendar, taking over from Hamilton to host New Zealand's round of the championship. Auckland joins Texas and Dubai to host races outside of Australia.

Getting the grand old track up to speed is going to be a costly exercise.

Plans for the upgrade include:

- An increase in track length from 2.84 km to 2.91 km

- Introduction of three new turns on the back straight.

- New first and second line of protection (impact absorbing concrete barrier and debris fence)

- New race control building

- New timing building

- New corporate viewing facility opposite main grandstand

- Asphalt resurfacing while keeping character of the track

- New pedestrian bridges for access to new viewing area

- Improved driver safety with revised runoffs, tyre walls, transition kerbs and gravel traps

Pukekohe hosted the first offshore event in V8 Supercars Championship history in 2001 before the New Zealand event moved to a street circuit in Hamilton from 2008.

Kiwi Greg Murphy won four of the seven events raced at Pukekohe.

"With improved spectator and corporate facilities, V8 Supercars has no doubt it will again become New Zealand's premium motorsport precinct, and a significant boost for motorsport in this country," V8 Supercar chief executive David Malone said.

"Not only will motorsport and Auckland's economy benefit in sustaining a round of the V8 Supercar series, it will prove a tremendous asset to the industry in New Zealand, not to mention to the local community in both a business sense and as a resource for a range of uses.

"The improvements are significant and will ensure Pukekohe remains a top class asset, just 40 minutes from the Auckland CBD."

lostinflyz
15th October 2012, 11:33
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/Portals/V8/images/61/61669_9_2.jpg

steveyb
15th October 2012, 12:07
I was just reading the story too. That there would be upgrades had been announced when the V8's signed with Pukekohe, but now the scope is clear.
If there can be real safety, and I dearsay interest (meaning a bit more interesting circuit), improvements I would hazard a guess that people will be really keen to return to Pukekohe in increasing numbers.
Not that actually there has really been a down turn to speak of. It is really only NZSBK that has stopped going there as far as I can tell.
All of the car groups and AMCC still operate there, perhaps splitting events between there and HD.
I guess at the end of the day the two things that will sway it will be: When and if the track is finished at HD and the new fee structure at Pukekohe.
There is the history and tradition and the fact that you are in a town that can sway the decision to go to Pukekohe. Not to mention that it is a high speed circuit and looks like it will remain mostly so. That is a major drawcard to users.
Good luck to them. I have always loved racing there (except for one meeting when I was just out of sorts). I have lost my best mate there, but at the end of the day the circuit didn't actually do it, people did it.
If they can lift the safety aspect then it will be great to go back there.
Imagine a 7 round NZSBK once we all have jobs and income again......

p.dath
15th October 2012, 12:43
I don't like this bit "impact absorbing concrete barrier".

sugilite
15th October 2012, 13:13
You guys cannot seriously be thinking they will be making it more bike friendly. As per d.paths post, there will be more barriers now, not less.

Quasievil
15th October 2012, 14:27
You guys cannot seriously be thinking they will be making it more bike friendly. As per d.paths post, there will be more barriers now, not less.

Why would it be? since when has Bike racing been interesting enough to draw crowds and encourage investment dollars in NZ race parks ?

scrivy
15th October 2012, 14:29
If it were me designing the new chicane on the back straight, I'd make the corners really wide to encourage different lines and more overtaking opportunities. Otherwise it'll just be precessional.

Drew
15th October 2012, 14:49
If it were me designing the new chicane on the back straight, I'd make the corners really wide to encourage different lines and more overtaking opportunities. Otherwise it'll just be precessional.Processional I think you'll find.

But, the back straight is as wide as all fuck, so there is gonna be a good overtake spot into the first of the new turns, followed by the original easy pass into the hairpin. It'd certainly be the spot to view any racing there.

Bender
15th October 2012, 15:37
Processional I think you'll find.

But, the back straight is as wide as all fuck, so there is gonna be a good overtake spot into the first of the new turns, followed by the original easy pass into the hairpin. It'd certainly be the spot to view any racing there.

And where are they putting the new grandstand? Opposite the old one. Just shows they are still not thinking about the spectators.

Drew
15th October 2012, 15:53
And where are they putting the new grandstand? Opposite the old one. Just shows they are still not thinking about the spectators.I don't even know where they are now.

I have only ever watched from the grass by pit entrance, or the hairpin..ish.

lostinflyz
15th October 2012, 16:26
I don't like this bit "impact absorbing concrete barrier".

Theres as much "impact absorbing" concrete round HD as puke...........

Drew
15th October 2012, 16:39
Theres as much "impact absorbing" concrete round HD as puke........... How it looks to me too.

Less easy to get wrong and hit from what I can see though.

caseye
15th October 2012, 16:55
Um, " Asphalt resurfacing while keeping character of the track"
Says it all to me.
Track will still not be right, surfaces will change from point to point, no one will ever be able to enjoy a continuous round of good grippy track.
Corporates get more track viewing, ordinary specpertators will get less, can't see how it could be any other way if the corporate stand goes inside the track and blocks the main stand areas view of the back straight!
Hurry up HD.
Pukekohe was dead 4 years ago, it should have been left to it's horsey bloody owners to fornicate on forever more.

Drew
15th October 2012, 17:08
Says it all to me.
Track will still not be right, surfaces will change from point to point, no one will ever be able to enjoy a continuous round of good grippy track.
Corporates get more track viewing, ordinary specpertators will get less, can't see how it could be any other way if the corporate stand goes inside the track and blocks the main stand areas view of the back straight!
Hurry up HD.
Pukekohe was dead 4 years ago, it should have been left to it's horsey bloody owners to fornicate on forever more.Interesting. Place is rough, but grip levels are good, this is an opinon formed from riding there.

I agree that the corperate stands need to go outside the track. I think the carpark would be a great place for w two story building to run the length of the straight/ish.

Dead you say? I love the place. Would spend more time there than I do at Manfield if I was in Aukland.

neil_cb125t
15th October 2012, 17:13
Every race track has concrete walls on the side of the start finish straight - Its the closeness of concrete fence to exit of the last corners that is the issue.....aka last turn at taupo........but taupo went that extra step and put car grid lines around the corner, with some shitty slippery patch work in between the grid lines......:2thumbsup

neil_cb125t
15th October 2012, 17:15
The biggest shame is that who ever is in charge at hamptons just couldn't finish what they started - 6.6mil should be going there, not puke then HD would be twice the length and have roofs on there garages.

Drew
15th October 2012, 17:17
Every race track has concrete walls on the side of the start finish straight - Its the closeness of concrete fence to exit of the last corners that is the issue.....aka last turn at taupo........but taupo went that extra step and put car grid lines around the corner, with some shitty slippery patch work in between the grid lines......:2thumbsupShit yeah, Taupo is the only track I've ever given it thought to whilst actually racing.

All the rest get pointed out and I sort go, "oh yeah, would ya look at that", as I continue to gear up with the intention of going around that corner faster still.

caseye
15th October 2012, 17:17
Your opinion, formed from riding there is valuable and noted. I like Pukekohe as a race venue, but noise constraints, flooding and particularly nasty corners and black spots make it, not a long term proposition anymore.
Unless the horse fraternity turn it over to race organisers and allow what should have been done years ago to be done.
Rip it up, build it up away from flood plain levels, lengthen it properly, add some extra curly bits, make it longer, keep the back straight, widen it a bit more, relay the whole bloody thing with whatever it is they used at HD, now that's sticky and yes I have ridden there, only driven at Puke.
My feeling is that HD is far better placed to pick up a shit load more spectators, is a good interesting track and when lengthened will definitely be world class.
The race Gods ( u no the ones with all the money and Len Brown NOSE Brown) wanted it at Puke in the meantime so Dorkland didn't miss out on getting fleeced by the big guns and the corporates again, you watch, "won't cost the rate payer a thing" Yeah Right.

BoristheBiter
15th October 2012, 17:53
Says it all to me.
Hurry up HD.
Pukekohe was dead 4 years ago, it should have been left to it's horsey bloody owners to fornicate on forever more.

Interesting. Place is rough, but grip levels are good, this is an opinon formed from riding there.

I agree that the corperate stands need to go outside the track. I think the carpark would be a great place for w two story building to run the length of the straight/ish.

Dead you say? I love the place. Would spend more time there than I do at Manfield if I was in Aukland.

What he said.
turn 1 is the ducks nuts.

Your opinion, formed from riding there is valuable and noted. I like Pukekohe as a race venue, but noise constraints, flooding and particularly nasty corners and black spots make it, not a long term proposition anymore.
Unless the horse fraternity turn it over to race organisers and allow what should have been done years ago to be done.
Rip it up, build it up away from flood plain levels, lengthen it properly, add some extra curly bits, make it longer, keep the back straight, widen it a bit more, relay the whole bloody thing with whatever it is they used at HD, now that's sticky and yes I have ridden there, only driven at Puke.
My feeling is that HD is far better placed to pick up a shit load more spectators, is a good interesting track and when lengthened will definitely be world class.
The race Gods ( u no the ones with all the money and Len Brown NOSE Brown) wanted it at Puke in the meantime so Dorkland didn't miss out on getting fleeced by the big guns and the corporates again, you watch, "won't cost the rate payer a thing" Yeah Right.

??? the council has already said it is putting towards it, that's how we got it back in the first place.
And as for Hampton sorry I just don't do that track and it might be sticky but it gets ripped to shreds.

neil_cb125t
15th October 2012, 18:03

Yep when the Aussie coaches from CSS came over to HD, they were blown away by the grip that HD has, wet and dry. Stated from the top coaches ....."most grip in the southern hemisphere" to be honest its not may favorite track (HD) in nz, far from it, but it did have more promise than most.

neil_cb125t
15th October 2012, 18:04
Shit yeah, Taupo is the only track I've ever given it thought to whilst actually racing.

All the rest get pointed out and I sort go, "oh yeah, would ya look at that", as I continue to gear up with the intention of going around that corner faster still.

Yeah you wana get in and out of that sh*t ASAP!

Dave-
15th October 2012, 18:23
It looks like a teapot.

that is all that is important here.

Drew
15th October 2012, 18:32
It looks like a teapot.

that is all that is important here.
This is a serious discussion for fuck sakes. Be sensible!

It is ver obviously a gravy boat!

Honestly, some fuckin people.

lostinflyz
15th October 2012, 18:40
if they actually repair the track proper and take out the big bumps that would be fantastic. Its a neat little circuit. I get the feeling there is a bit of muscle behind this redevelopment, to do decent fixes, not patch up jobs and short term fixes, this development is not coming from the pony club now.

HD is a half thought out, half finished track. Its too short and boring, the walls are far too close (i've seen more bikes hit the walls at HD than every other circuit in NZ) and its crap to be a spectator at, and ive spent my fair share of time doing that. (and its bloody miles from anywhere and everywhere). Maybe when they finish it, it will get better but i doubt they ever will.

ohh and i like HD, but its got as man negatives as positives.

jellywrestler
15th October 2012, 19:01
Stated from the top coaches ....."most grip in the southern hemisphere" So they meet Drew Mair then?

neil_cb125t
15th October 2012, 19:04
if they actually repair the track proper and take out the big bumps that would be fantastic. Its a neat little circuit. I get the feeling there is a bit of muscle behind this redevelopment, to do decent fixes, not patch up jobs and short term fixes, this development is not coming from the pony club now.

HD is a half thought out, half finished track. Its too short and boring, the walls are far too close (i've seen more bikes hit the walls at HD than every other circuit in NZ) and its crap to be a spectator at, and ive spent my fair share of time doing that. (and its bloody miles from anywhere and everywhere). Maybe when they finish it, it will get better but i doubt they ever will.

ohh and i like HD, but its got as man negatives as positives.

It aint no invers thou... that track blows my mind.

wharfy
15th October 2012, 19:24
I've never actually ridden Puke, and it looks like I will never get to try out that back straight now - oh well :(

Kickaha
15th October 2012, 19:49
I've never actually ridden Puke, and it looks like I will never get to try out that back straight now - oh well :(

It was/is a bumpy shithole you didn't miss much

scrivy
15th October 2012, 20:06
Processional I think you'll find.

Errr.... Stones, glass houses................... :rolleyes:;)

I was using my phone.........:oi-grr:

scrivy
15th October 2012, 20:10

I thought Wharfys met you before??? :lol:

Ntoxcated
15th October 2012, 20:35
- Asphalt resurfacing while keeping character of the track

Does this mean they will leave a few random bumps just to keep it interesting?

Mental Trousers
15th October 2012, 20:45

I actually like the bumps at Puke. But what I don't like is hitting a wall over the mountain. Or hitting a wall at Castrol. The hairpin was the least of my concerns with the place even though the hairpin is where I broke my collar bone.

Drew
15th October 2012, 21:10
Over the hill doesn't bother me at all, and Castrol is a pretty slow entry speed corner. By the time you're carrying any pace you are running fuckin near parallel to it.

Drew
15th October 2012, 21:12
It was/is a bumpy shithole you didn't miss muchTurn one is bumpy, I didn't think the rest was as bad as most of Manfield.

Have you ridden a solo round it Warwick? One that is less than a hundred year old to boot. Good fun old bean!

Rhubarb
15th October 2012, 21:13

+1

I don't race bikes but I do race a car.

Pukekohe is a 'bumpy shit hole'.

As you come up over the rise onto the start/finish straight the Ford signs on the left have black circles all the way along. These tyre marks are there because the vigorous bumps in the circuit 'bounce' you across the track towards these barriers as you scream at full noise around the cornered rise onto the straight.

You may say "race to the conditions". I expect a dirt rally road to have ruts and corrugations - not a sealed permanent circuit. I have raced all over NZ at hill climbs, permanent circuits and temporary street circuts. Pukekohe is by far the worst.

The infield pit area is crap. My last meeting there featured many oversea's racers who were put in the old steel framed area believing they were being allocated an enclosed pit. Their very expensive cars were constantly dripped on by rusty water from the dilapidated structure. The Pukekohe Warehouse did a great trade in tarpaulin's and gazebo's.

I race my car as often as possible. I'll happily tow it anywhere in NZ to race. Racing is the biggest buzz and most fun I have ever had.

However, I HATED Pukekohe.

Drew
15th October 2012, 21:16
+1

I don't race bikes but I do race a car.

Pukekohe is a 'bumpy shit hole'.

As you come up over the rise onto the start/finish straight the Ford signs on the left have black circles all the way along. These tyre marks are there because the vigorous bumps in the circuit 'bounce' you across the track towards these barriers as you scream at full noise around the cornered rise onto the straight.

You may say "race to the conditions". I expect a dirt rally road to have ruts and corrugations - not a sealed permanent circuit. I have raced all over NZ at hill climbs, permanent circuits and temporary street circuts. Pukekohe is by far the worst.

The infield pit area is crap. My last meeting there featured many oversea's racers who were put in the old steel framed area believing they were being allocated an enclosed pit. Their very expensive cars were constantly dripped on by rusty water from the dilapidated structure. The Pukekohe Warehouse did a great trade in tarpaulin's and gazebo's.

I race my car as often as possible. I'll happily tow it anywhere in NZ to race. Racing is the biggest buzz and most fun I have ever had.

However, I HATED Pukekohe.On a bike, those bumps are noticable, but they don't put you in the wall unless you've got set up issues normally.

Mental Trousers
15th October 2012, 21:18
Over the hill doesn't bother me at all, and Castrol is a pretty slow entry speed corner. By the time you're carrying any pace you are running fuckin near parallel to it.

It bothers me. The previous owner of my bike hit that wall.

Kickaha
15th October 2012, 21:20
Turn one is bumpy, I didn't think the rest was as bad as most of Manfield.
I would have said Manfield was billiard table smoth compared to Puke, the bumps on the front straight at Puke meant I ended up with fractured ribs one year

Have you ridden a solo round it Warwick? One that is less than a hundred year old to boot. Good fun old bean!
No, nor do I have any desire to

Drew
15th October 2012, 21:21
It bothers me. The previous owner of my bike hit that wall.The bottle bags are all I require to put it out of my mind. But it's been said that I tend to focus less on safety.

Mental Trousers
15th October 2012, 21:22
The bottle bags are all I require to put it out of my mind. But it's been said that I tend to focus less on safety.

That's a really polite way of putting it haha

sugilite
15th October 2012, 21:47
Over the hill doesn't bother me at all,

Funny thing, as a rider I feel pretty much the same as you about coming over the hill. As a spectator between races I've seen two separate incidents over that hill that literally turned my stomach to watch. That wall takes no prisoners thats for sure.

Gremlin
15th October 2012, 22:13
The bottle bags are all I require to put it out of my mind. But it's been said that I tend to focus less on safety.
Unfortunately, the worst injuries at the hill have been where the bike has gone in first, clearing the bales out of the way so the rider can hit the wall, or the rider going in first and being stopped, then the bike comes to greet them...

gammaguy
15th October 2012, 23:49
Why would it be? since when has Bike racing been interesting enough to draw crowds and encourage investment dollars in NZ race parks ?

harsh

but fair.

gammaguy
15th October 2012, 23:53
It aint no invers thou... that track blows my mind.

the track blows your mind

the fuckin southerly blows yer pit tent away

neil_cb125t
16th October 2012, 05:14
the track blows your mind

the fuckin southerly blows yer pit tent away

Ha funnily enough the one meeting i was there it was called off due to EXTREME wet weather and wind:nya:

DEATH_INC.
16th October 2012, 07:39
The second lefthander after the hairpin. End of pit wall. Lost a mate there a few years ago :( , and isn't that what put two smoker into the icu? Plenty have suffered from the hill and wall too.
It could all be so easily fixed with a bit of runoff/ gravel traps.
I've only ridden there twice, and I will admit I like it (other than those bloody walls) more than hampton.

Dreama
16th October 2012, 08:31
The second lefthander after the hairpin. End of pit wall. Lost a mate there a few years ago :( , and isn't that what put two smoker into the icu? Plenty have suffered from the hill and wall too.
It could all be so easily fixed with a bit of runoff/ gravel traps.
I've only ridden there twice, and I will admit I like it (other than those bloody walls) more than hampton.

I have always enjoyed Puke ... maybe cos I was/am just an average club racer and whence not on the extreme limit like the fast boys, but I love the thrill of the speed at Puke ... turn 1 especially.
I was there on the day a guy died hitting the concrete just past the pit entry by the hairpin and also when another guy died hitting the concrete on the hill. I have slid off in the wet and hit that concrete wall and also fucked up and had a hair raising trip on the grass verge next to the concrete on the front straight at warp speed in the dry.
Yes, it's dangerous ... but wtf.... it's motorcycle racing, not chess.

Whilst that chicane thing in the back straight will take a bit away from the speed buzz, it'll also add more corners which is all good.
Can't wait.

roogazza
16th October 2012, 08:50
Over the mountain,over the hill or just over the rise onto the front straight, many fond memories.
Those late Friday night drives from Wgton in convoy, all good fun.

scrivy
16th October 2012, 09:04
the bumps on the front straight at Puke meant I ended up with fractured ribs one year

Bullshit???!!!! Even with all your 'padding'........???

Kickaha
18th October 2012, 16:42
Ha funnily enough the one meeting i was there it was called off due to EXTREME wet weather and wind:nya:
Sounds like a sunny Southland day to me

sidecar bob
18th October 2012, 19:35
Bullshit???!!!! Even with all your 'padding'........???

If you can remember back, you broke my ribs on the front straight in '87 at our first ever meeting.
I swung the rest of the season with my chest wrapped in brown packaging tape over a t shirt, with another t shirt over top of that, so nobody found out.