PDA

View Full Version : Now the ACC truth comes out

Murray
17th October 2012, 12:12
So this is why registration costs have sky rocketed

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/7827706/Huge-ACC-salaries-revealed

And they are doing such a great job. NOT!!!

rapid van cleef
17th October 2012, 12:18
doesnt suprise me in the least, theiving scum bags. same happens in local councils. our local council here a cple of years ago had a situation where the staff were told no pay rises yet the ceo got a HUGE payrise. but no one will do anything about it because the people in a position to do somthing about are more than likely themselves be on huge salaries and dont need the hassle, someone may have to cut their pay aswell!

george formby
17th October 2012, 12:37
Yeah but nah but yeah..... They got too pay the exorbitant salaries to get people of sufficient caliber to run the corporation efficiently, effectively & cheaply for our benefit, same as the local cooncil. If they didn't then the top wage earners would go & work for the likes of Coontdoon or Telecon. Got to be competitive in the market place you know...:tugger::ar15:

Anybody notice that one organisation is now responsible for all driver licensing services nationwide? Or that there is one company that every contractor doing work in schools has to go through to get the job & too get paid? Cronyism I here you say, that's the Key...

We're Fooked.....

Brian d marge
17th October 2012, 12:42
but the all Dept of Acc , were bad thats why we have the new market model SOEs and everythings rosie now

Stephen

Do get to say I told you so ,,

Gremlin
17th October 2012, 12:43
They got too pay the exorbitant salaries to get people of sufficient caliber to run the corporation efficiently, effectively & cheaply for our benefit, same as the local cooncil. If they didn't then the top wage earners would go & work for the likes of Coontdoon or Telecon.
Ok, so the expensive ones aren't working out. Can we try some cheaper ones now?

george formby
17th October 2012, 12:47
Ok, so the expensive ones aren't working out. Can we try some cheaper ones now?

:lol:My thoughts exacary, I could fuck it up for a fraction of what they are being paid, easy as. $100'000 a year & a company V4 Tuono would do it.

Milts
17th October 2012, 12:56
Well, we did elect a government who feels that large salaries = high performance (I mean, just look at the private sector! We should be more like them!). What did we expect, really?

Absolutely atrocious though. At least it has been brought to the attention of the public. Is it too optimistic to home it will change as a result?

george formby
17th October 2012, 12:57
Well, we did elect a government who feels that large salaries = high performance (I mean, just look at the private sector! We should be more like them!). What did we expect, really?

Absolutely atrocious though. At least it has been brought to the attention of the public. Is it too optimistic to home it will change as a result?

Yes. cha cha cha.:weep:

MystikEagle
17th October 2012, 13:07
It seems I am in the wrong industry.
Work for ACC = get paid shit loads of money :yes:

george formby
17th October 2012, 13:09

and, I would bet somebody's testicle on it, private health insurance......

Murray
17th October 2012, 13:10

We are all working for ACC - Every time you register your bike or earn a dollar or get petrol

SPman
17th October 2012, 13:20
They got too pay the exorbitant salaries to get people of sufficient caliber to run the corporation efficiently, effectively & cheaply for our benefit, same as the local cooncil.And if you believe that, have I got a harbour bridge to sell you!
Utter bullshit! They pay big money because no one stops them! Over here a shareholders meeting at one of the local corporations has just voted down a CEO's proposed $1 mil bonus for himself. There's another vote shortly and if that's voted down, they have to replace the whole board. Shareholders can stop these obscene increases, but, they have to work together! and yes, it seems as though, these days, voters have become "shareholders", obscene as that is!

george formby
17th October 2012, 13:24
And if you believe that, have I got a harbour bridge to sell you!
Utter bullshit! They pay big money because no one stops them! Over here a shareholders meeting at one of the local corporations has just voted down a CEO's proposed $1 mil bonus for himself. There's another vote shortly and if that's voted down, they have to replace the whole board. Shareholders can stop these obscene increases, but, they have to work together! and yes, it seems as though, these days, voters have become "shareholders", obscene as that is!

I don't. And I think share-donors may be more accurate. Good point.

We're Fooked!

HenryDorsetCase
17th October 2012, 13:25
Meh. He is in charge of billions of dollars worth of assets, a large and complex organisation with many staff and responsibility.

A lot of you are carrying on as if $790k is a lot of money for a CEO. It just isn't. Get over it.

And it is a corporation, it does have shareholders: the shareholder is the Minister, i.e. your representative whom you voted in.

Murray
17th October 2012, 13:28
Meh. He is in charge of billions of dollars worth of assets, a large and complex organisation with many staff and responsibility.

A lot of you are carrying on as if $790k is a lot of money for a CEO. It just isn't. Get over it.

And what about the rest of the staff being paid big bucks????

330 on more than $100k, 29 on $200-$400k, 10 on more than $500k 1 upto $820k and another on $760k and then the CEO

Brian d marge
17th October 2012, 14:04

And it is a corporation, it does have shareholders: the shareholder is the Minister, i.e. your representative whom you voted in.

Never understood this argument , if a company makes 10 dollars and pays the boss 2 then there is only 8 to run the company

This "neo economics " is a load of crock

Make acc a Government dept , with bureaucrat salaries

It wasnt broken no need to have fixed it ,,,,

Stephen

Gremlin
17th October 2012, 14:07

That part I get, you have to pay to attract the right skills.

However, ACC has had one issue after another, nothing seems to be finished and dealt with... that pay packet also comes with responsibilities...

HenryDorsetCase
17th October 2012, 14:12
That part I get, you have to pay to attract the right skills.

However, ACC has had one issue after another, nothing seems to be finished and dealt with... that pay packet also comes with responsibilities...

He is responsible to his employer, the Minister.

Clearly, the Minister is happy with his performance.

And since the Minister is the delightful, the competent, the ever-insightful and brilliant Judith "Crusher" Collins, then I think we can all be rest assured our money is in good hands. Why just knowing these two are in charge, I am volunteering to pay $1000 a year to register my motorbike, because they're worth it.

OK that last part is a stretch. But you get my point, right? To labour (geddit) that point, it is that your ire MUST be directed appropriately, at your elected representatives. I say "your" because I sure as shit didnt vote for them.

imdying
17th October 2012, 14:16
Nothing wrong with that.

We could of course have people worth $37000 PA running this large entity. Would you be happy with that? If not, what level would you be happy with? You're qualified to decide that? No, that's right, you're not!

imdying
17th October 2012, 14:18
Never understood this argument , if a company makes 10 dollars and pays the boss 2 then there is only 8 to run the companyBecause a 10 cent boss can't make 10 dollars for the company (if he could, he'd be looking for a job that paid $2 wouldn't he....)

Murray
17th October 2012, 14:21
I re-iterate

330 on more than $100k, 29 on $200-$400k, 10 on more than $500k 1 upto $820k and another on $760k and then the CEO

Did the 29 on $200-$400k work out the figures Dick Smith got or what do they do to earn their money

HenryDorsetCase
17th October 2012, 14:40
I re-iterate

Did the 29 on $200-$400k work out the figures Dick Smith got or what do they do to earn their money

bad example. Dick Smith is insolvent and on the market for sale......

Murray
17th October 2012, 14:46
bad example. Dick Smith is insolvent and on the market for sale......

True but I somehow can't call such a tosser by his real name - should have read Minister of ACC that told all the porkie pie lying figures to increase Bike registrations, the Honorable Dr. Dickhead Nick Smith.

Brian d marge
17th October 2012, 14:46
Because a 10 cent boss can't make 10 dollars for the company (if he could, he'd be looking for a job that paid $2 wouldn't he....)
and if the only jobs out there paid two dollars , he would have to take that Job. the pay for the best doesnt wash , sure you need to pay attractive rates i,e we all make 50 , attractive would be topping out at 100 , not 750.

Stephen

Usarka
17th October 2012, 17:26
It takes money to cut money.

jafar
17th October 2012, 17:58
And what about the rest of the staff being paid big bucks????

Seems like typical corporate pay structures to me, why would you pay the big cheese good money & have his leutenants paid peanuts? You won't get good managers for low salaries,they will go somewhere else that will pay them more, simple as that.
Get the best people for the job by paying them what they are worth & have a strong management team sorting through the problems the organisation has would seem to make good sense. ACC was a mess only a few years ago, now it is running at a profit & is paying a dividend to its shareholders (thats us). In the last few months ACC levies for companies have come down. That on its own would suggest that the place is better than it was.

Brian d marge
17th October 2012, 18:23
Seems like typical corporate pay structures to me, why would you pay the big cheese good money & have his leutenants paid peanuts? You won't get good managers for low salaries,they will go somewhere else that will pay them more, simple as that.
Get the best people for the job by paying them what they are worth & have a strong management team sorting through the problems the organisation has would seem to make good sense. ACC was a mess only a few years ago, now it is running at a profit & is paying a dividend to its shareholders (thats us). In the last few months ACC levies for companies have come down. That on its own would suggest that the place is better than it was.

are these people "magically" gifted or something

Acc was running quite well untill the "idealistics" started tinkering. If I remember all it neaded a few years ago was a 1c increase in tax to cover itself ...( dont quote me twas a few years ago)

600 buck for a year ...stone me

Stephen

madandy
17th October 2012, 18:24
I agree that this buiness model is working though it will need more time to sort all the crap.
Only oncethe whole country is run like a business, profitably can we share out those profits to those who contribute least.
Those who can afford need to pay more and there are some shocking examples of Tax avoidance and evasion which are far more serious than these salaries being paid.

A few hundred grand here & there aint worth crying about when it takes BILLIONS to prop up the Nation.

ukusa
17th October 2012, 21:18
so $51,150,000 is utilised to pay the top 330 ACC employees. Not sure what the average ACC levy is (based on ratio of bike cc's), but if they averaged $400/year each, that would make 127,875 annual bike regos just to pay the top 330 salaries.

Hmmmm

bogan
17th October 2012, 21:31
If you're paying people to tank the company, they deserve a raise right? In fact, giving them a raise helps to tank it, so it'd be silly not to!

Theres a lot more going on here than simply running ACC with great efficiency and discretion (or failing to do so I should say).

Dangsta
17th October 2012, 22:04
doesnt suprise me in the least, theiving scum bags. same happens in local councils. our local council here a cple of years ago had a situation where the staff were told no pay rises yet the ceo got a HUGE payrise. but no one will do anything about it because the people in a position to do somthing about are more than likely themselves be on huge salaries and dont need the hassle, someone may have to cut their pay aswell!

Dude, Whakatane recently restructured their entire management team and they have a new CEO. The guys on that management team have put in years of study and done their time in shitty middle management roles working their way into positions that still have them putting in 60+ hour weeks and getting shit on by conspiracy theorists who think they're on mega bucks and get their kicks fucking over the place they call home and the people that work for them. Council staff at any level are easy targets. I'd rather pick on some private sector business a bit more deserving like a fast food chain, supermarket or similar that really fuck over their staff.

Brian d marge
18th October 2012, 01:03
Dude, Whakatane recently restructured their entire management team and they have a new CEO. The guys on that management team have put in years of study and done their time in shitty middle management roles working their way into positions that still have them putting in 60+ hour weeks and getting shit on by conspiracy theorists who think they're on mega bucks and get their kicks fucking over the place they call home and the people that work for them. Council staff at any level are easy targets. I'd rather pick on some private sector business a bit more deserving like a fast food chain, supermarket or similar that really fuck over their staff.

and I haven’t put in the same amount of effort into my career? I’m not pushing sh up any hills anymore, but I’m not rolling in it , I charge a fair rate for a fair days work ,,,NOT 750 000 OR MORE in some cases. Then when ( as has happened ) , due to "market forces " the company SOE , what ever tanks , the CEO leaves with a golden hand shake

no an attractive salary , reflecting the responsibility , yes , obscene payouts No ..., AS it was back before the American model took over ,

Stephen

That looks like fun
18th October 2012, 05:15
Its a simple equation really :cool:
The guy at the top gets paid mega bucks :banana: Because he is the guy who has this simple piece of knowledge (please ignore this knowledge or you will end up at the top), if you pay the huy at the bottom :weep: the minimum wage and screw him every way you can :spanking:
The company will make enough money to pay your wage :2thumbsup
Economics made easy! No need to thank me, my job here is done :whistle:

Dangsta
18th October 2012, 06:39
[QUOTE=Brian d marge;1130417039]and I haven’t put in the same amount of effort into my career?

Probably not, Stephen. With all due respect you probably work hard but the level of complexity, responsibility, political nous, the impact within and outside the organisation and academic credibility these people require to hold puts them in a different league.

Brian d marge
18th October 2012, 13:48
and I haven’t put in the same amount of effort into my career?

Probably not, Stephen. With all due respect you probably work hard but the level of complexity, responsibility, political nous, the impact within and outside the organization and academic credibility these people require to hold puts them in a different league.

O really , while that may indeed be true , ( and I know a few in the beehive , and a few who run/own v large businesses , you would be surprised who I meet over here )

750 k in NZ is obscene.

Stephen

Murray
18th October 2012, 14:02
ACC was a mess only a few years ago, now it is running at a profit

Pray tell me when it was in a mess???? ACC has never ever been short a dollar and never not been in proft!!

Now what they are trying to do is future proof their proft for about 7 years.

mikeey01
18th October 2012, 16:09
Another overpaid muppet promoted to his level of in-competence, with the balls to want an above inflation pay rise.
No worries though, the country keeps borrowing money each week and we can afford it.......

Meanwhile the rest of the country..................

Usarka
18th October 2012, 16:11
The pay is probably so high because of all teh bonuses paid to case managers for kicking claimants off the books last year.

dipshit
18th October 2012, 16:21
Government jobs sure pay shit compared to similar roles in the private sector. Those figures are not big money. I think some of you people need to expand your horizons a bit.

IkieBikie
19th October 2012, 09:24
Government jobs sure pay shit compared to similar roles in the private sector. Those figures are not big money. I think some of you people need to expand your horizons a bit.

Oh can you please tell me of a company in the private sector (apart from maybe Fonterra) that has 29 staff being paid between $200k - $400k

Please expand my horizons

chasio
19th October 2012, 13:22
Oh can you please tell me of a company in the private sector (apart from maybe Fonterra) that has 29 staff being paid between $200k - $400k

Telecom's annual report (http://investor.telecom.co.nz/phoenix.zhtml?c=91956&p=irol-reportsAnnual) would be a good place to start. See page 163. They have 82 people just earning $200k to $210k. I can't be bothered adding up the rest to answer your question accurately because it will make me feel a bit sick. There are certainly several hundred people in your query range.

They also list 6 executives (not board members) who were paid over $750k for 2012 (and that excludes share rights). Plus Dr. Paul Reynolds was not exactly eking out a living.

I don't like the size of his pay packet and I view the organisation and above all the Minister responsible with contempt. But I can't see the salary is that ridiculous considering the assets and size of the organisation.

EDIT: I copied it into Excel and calculate that Telecom has 456 employees in the range $200k to $400k. It didn't make me feel as sick as I had thought. Anyone want to do Vodafone, F&P, etc.?

Subike
19th October 2012, 13:43

MOFFAT Commercial kitchen appliance manufacturing in Christchurch, 6th largest commercial kitchen manufacturing business in the world, annual turnover in excess 100 bill world wide, 15 senior staff in CHCH alone paid around those numbers....
Moffats in Christchurch is only one of this global companies manufacturing plants.

Have a good look at several of the larger transport firms, these numbers are there ,

Simms Pacific Metals, scary remuneration for senior staff...

Place Makers.......Bunnings.....Each store has a senior Manager, How many large store are there?

Faulton Hogan, Some serious money being collected in that management arena.

New Zealand Breweries... you want old beer at the tap in the local? or fresh ? Who manages that? Some alcoholics? or a very skilled organized management system which handles far more cash flow than ACC.....

Then there are the Banks, Legal firms, construction companies,

GDOBSSOR
19th October 2012, 13:43
:lol:My thoughts exacary, I could fuck it up for a fraction of what they are being paid, easy as. $100'000 a year & a company V4 Tuono would do it.

Why not get three hundred monkeys in to fuck up the system for free? And we wouldn't even need to provide company vehicles!

Brian d marge
19th October 2012, 14:20
I repeat , the company earns 10 , you pay manager 2 that leaves 8 to run company , and adds to the cost of your products, its not rocket science , and you ain’t going to get there,, so stop living the American dream .....

This pay the bosses is just American rubbish , at Honda , everyone wears white , they all get paid roughly the same and Mr S Honda knew how to do your job , he IS held in high regard , because ,,,he was , one of us ,

Stephen

Ps I know moffats , didnt have a stellar rep as an employer

rapid van cleef
19th October 2012, 14:27
what i dissagree with is people at the top getting huge payrises and people at the bottom in the same organisation being told they cant have anything.

dipshit
19th October 2012, 14:36

And take look at some of the jobs going in mining and the gas and oil industry here in NZ.

Tigadee
19th October 2012, 14:52
what i dissagree with is people at the top getting huge payrises and people at the bottom in the same organisation being told they cant have anything.

Too right! It just shows that these muppets hired to their positions have no personal investment or pride in their jobs or the company they work for, only what they can get out of their tenure while there.

After all, if they were fired for incompetence or contract not 'renewed', they'll still get paid a hefty sum, wouldn't they? So what's the incentive for them to produce results? Just a cushy job for them while they rape the company...

mossy1200
19th October 2012, 15:14
Make ACC an automated service. It could even add some form of humanity to it.

Brian d marge
19th October 2012, 17:28

you are Damn right on that one!!!

Stephen

mashman
19th October 2012, 22:21

Hello and welcome to the ACC automated diagnostic system. Press 1 if you are injured. Press 2 if your injury is serious (tone). Please select the number that most closely resembles your level of discomfort. 9. If this is a new injury, please press 1. If it is a recurring injury, please press 2 (tone). Good luck berrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

humphrt
22nd October 2012, 13:18
I think that some of you are missing the point. Yes ACC bigwigs don't get paid huge salaries compared to the private sector but they are not a business they are government health insurance. That's our rego levies that are supposed to be(because we are reckless munters) going to our healthcare/loss of earnings when we inevitably crash, not to some rich pricks mortgage