PDA

View Full Version : Engine cooling

chickenfunkstar
8th August 2005, 21:44
I've noticed when travelling down a long steep hill on a cold morning, the temperature gauge drops rather rapidly, often reasonably close to the reading you get before you even start the bike.
(The SV doesn't have a temp gauge but i'm sure the water temp still drops in the same fashion)

I also know that stuff can crack if it is cooled too rapidly.

Is this a potential problem, or is it nothing to worry about?

Thanks

CFS

FROSTY
8th August 2005, 21:48
youtre bein a tadd vague--temp drops on what??
anyhoo--it wont do damage -unless you're losing water

chickenfunkstar
8th August 2005, 21:58
youtre bein a tadd vague--temp drops on what??
anyhoo--it wont do damage -unless you're losing water

The temparature gauge drops, so i'm guessing the water temperature is dropping,

XTC
8th August 2005, 22:03
I've noticed when travelling down a long steep hill on a cold morning, the temperature gauge drops rather rapidly, often reasonably close to the reading you get before you even start the bike.
(The SV doesn't have a temp gauge but i'm sure the water temp still drops in the same fashion)
Huh? so what temp guage are you looking at then??

Motu
8th August 2005, 22:12
You either have no thermostat or it's stuck open - if you have a thermostat get it replaced before it decides to stick shut - then you will have problems.

chickenfunkstar
8th August 2005, 22:32
Huh? so what temp guage are you looking at then??

On a friends bike. Its just that I'd assume that my bike would do the same but I can't tell for sure.

The temp gauge (on my friends bike) goes back to normal about 1-2 mins after the bottom of the hill when you start using the throttle again.

I was slightly concerned that the rapid drop in water temp could one day do some damage.

Sorry if I sound confusing.

Motu
8th August 2005, 22:41
On a friends bike. Its just that I'd assume that my bike would do the same but I can't tell for sure.

The temp gauge (on my friends bike) goes back to normal about 1-2 mins after the bottom of the hill when you start using the throttle again.

I was slightly concerned that the rapid drop in water temp could one day do some damage.

Sorry if I sound confusing.

:weird: :weird: - Ok,so your friend has a stuck or no thermostat - you sir have NO problem! :mad:

John
8th August 2005, 23:10
:weird: :weird: - Ok,so your friend has a stuck or no thermostat - you sir have NO problem! :mad:
Logic would seem a sudden massive drop in coolant temp isnt possible take heed to mr motus advice.

scumdog
8th August 2005, 23:16
Holy shit-bags Batman (sorry Zed) but that is one obscure mofo of a posting - and I've been drinking!!

Let me get this right, You have been riding alongside another bike that has a temperature guage (of indeterminate accuracy) that indicates its temperature dropps after going down a long hill?

Do you judge your fuel consumption by its fuel guage too????

Rest assured, you won't crack nothing by 'overcooling' when going down a long hill!!!! - even IF your temperature drop the same amount your mates bike does.

chickenfunkstar
8th August 2005, 23:16
I was thinking the reason for it was heaps of cold air rushing into the radiator but little heat being produced because of small / no throttle usage.

chickenfunkstar
8th August 2005, 23:24
Holy shit-bags Batman (sorry Zed) but that is one obscure mofo of a posting - and I've been drinking!!

Let me get this right, You have been riding alongside another bike that has a temperature guage (of indeterminate accuracy) that indicates its temperature dropps after going down a long hill?

Do you judge your fuel consumption by its fuel guage too????

Rest assured, you won't crack nothing by 'overcooling' when going down a long hill!!!! - even IF your temperature drop the same amount your mates bike does.

Thanks, you've pretty much untangled my mess of a thread and answered my question.
I think I should have just used the word 'overcooling' at the start of the thread.

I was starting to get confused myself by the end of the thread.
Lol i'm an arse.

scumdog
8th August 2005, 23:26
I was thinking the reason for it was heaps of cold air rushing into the radiator but little heat being produced because of small / no throttle usage.

Next time you are in a vehicle with an ACCURATE temp guage just keep an eye on it, you'll be surprised.

One of mine will sit there on the road on a cold day with the guage going 70-85-70-85 degrees as the temp drops (70) then the thermostat shuts so temp rises and then it opens (80) then it shuts etc. Numbers are temp in degrees Celcius.i