PDA

View Full Version : Hyosong road bike love them or hate them?

Candyman
8th August 2005, 21:51
Hyosong road bike love them or hate them?

I took one of the Hyosong GT650R's out for a test ride today and I'm thinking that it might be a good second bike for me, I have to say that after riding it for about and hour and a half I honestly felt like I had been for a ride on a bike, which sad to say that one of the other bikes I test rode today did not ( I could have been driving a cage and felt the same ). What I want to know is what others think of them? have you taken one out? do you own one?

XTC
8th August 2005, 22:07
I haven't ridden one but I like the look of them. I would definately take one for a ride if I was in the market for a new bike and if I liked it I would buy one. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, if you like it buy it.

Candyman
8th August 2005, 22:12
I haven't ridden one but I like the look of them. I would definately take one for a ride if I was in the market for a new bike and if I liked it I would buy one. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, if you like it buy it.

Hi XTC, ya I know, I'm more interested in those have taken them out and loved them or those who have taken them and hate them and why, also any problems people have had with them etc. But I do have to say a brand new 650cc bike for $10K that feels as good as it does, is not bad :ride:

Candyman
8th August 2005, 22:14
And yes I made a mistake on option 2 "Never tried one, but I make take one out now" its ment to be "Never tried one, but I might take one out now" lol

chickenfunkstar
8th August 2005, 22:16
Saw one at Mt Eden motorcycles a couple of weeks ago but couldn't take it out as it was brand new.
They look pretty cool and they're definatly the right price.
I think they've got the same engine the SV, I've had zero probs with my engine and its done 65K, so thats another plus point.
If you like it i'd say go for it, it would make a great 2nd bike.

One thing I might be slightly concerned about though is re-sale value, as they're a new M/cycle brand and don't really have any sort of reputation yet.

Candyman
8th August 2005, 22:19
Saw one at Mt Eden motorcycles a couple of weeks ago but couldn't take it out as it was brand new.
They look pretty cool and they're definatly the right price.
I think they've got the same engine the SV, I've had zero probs with my engine and its done 65K, so thats another plus point.
If you like it i'd say go for it, it would make a great 2nd bike.

One thing I might be slightly concerned about though is re-sale value, as they're a new M/cycle brand and don't really have any sort of reputation yet.

Ya that was my concern too. even though they have been making Suzuki for about ten years, their own name is not very well known in New Zealand yet. But I can recommend that you at least take one for a spin, but I did find the longer you rode it the more you like it lol

XTC
8th August 2005, 22:21
Motor is similar to the SV but not the same just like a VN2000 is not an evo harley even tho they look the same.....

chickenfunkstar
8th August 2005, 22:26
If you were to buy it, how long would you plan on keeping it?
Make sure that you look at it properly, there were a couple small things on the one I saw which made me think build quality wasn't that great.

Candyman
8th August 2005, 22:37
Motor is similar to the SV but not the same just like a VN2000 is not an evo harley even tho they look the same.....

very true, I know that Hyosung has head hunted some of Suzuki’s designers so its possible that it comes from there

Candyman
8th August 2005, 22:41
If you were to buy it, how long would you plan on keeping it?
Make sure that you look at it properly, there were a couple small things on the one I saw which made me think build quality wasn't that great.

I was thinking about 2 years, but they are also bringing out a 800cc and a 1000cc at some point in the future so who knows. So far the things I've heard ( and from what I've seen ) mechanically they are well put together, but they have had problems with the electrics ( switching gear mainly ) which I believe they out source, but I believe that was on some of the earlier models. What sort of things did you see?

scumdog
8th August 2005, 22:41
Phaedrus has a 250, it looks bigger, looks cool and he seems pretty happy with it. (Not bad comment coming from a H-D rider eh?)

Candyman
8th August 2005, 22:46
Phaedrus has a 250, it looks bige, looks cool and he seems pretty happy with it. (Not bad comment coming from a H-D rider eh?)

lol I would consider that high praise from a H-D rider lol. But you haven't taken it for a spin to see what you think? lol who knows might even make you convert lol or not. But I was looking at the 250 cruiser and thats a lot of chrome

scumdog
8th August 2005, 22:55
lol I would consider that high praise from a H-D rider lol. But you haven't taken it for a spin to see what you think? lol who knows might even make you convert lol or not. But I was looking at the 250 cruiser and thats a lot of chrome

I only ride one (a H-D) for the 'abrasive' nature the inflict on other brand owners.
Actually I love it - but NEVER knock the choice of another rider who has another brand. (unless to :Pokey: at somebody who picks on my choice of bike)

Honda Rebel is not too bad a bike for what you want, does Hyosung make that style of bike??

chickenfunkstar
8th August 2005, 22:57
I was thinking about 2 years, but they are also bringing out a 800cc and a 1000cc at some point in the future so who knows. So far the things I've heard ( and from what I've seen ) mechanically they are well put together, but they have had problems with the electrics ( switching gear mainly ) which I believe they out source, but I believe that was on some of the earlier models. What sort of things did you see?

Just a few minor things:
The join running through the passenger footpegs was really rough.
The back wheel had one of the biggest balancing weights i've seen on a car / bike.
Paint had an 'orange peel' look to it.

As long as the bike was mechanically well put together and above faults don't indicate that there could be bigger more important defects, I suppose I could put up with a few minor imperfections. Especially for $10K.

Candyman
8th August 2005, 23:02
I only ride one (a H-D) for the 'abrasive' nature the inflict on other brand owners.
Actually I love it - but NEVER knock the choice of another rider who has another brand. (unless to :Pokey: at somebody who picks on my choice of bike)

Honda Rebel is not too bad a bike for what you want, does Hyosung make that style of bike??

Scumdog, I never put anybodies ride down, I like any and all bikers rides, and I certainly would never knock a H-D I love them but they just don't suit me, mores the pity. Hyosung only do a GV250 at the mo in the cruiser range but have been told they are expanding it soon to a 650 as well, so it will be interesting to keep an eye on them, especially when they also bring out a 800 and 1000

scumdog
8th August 2005, 23:10
Just a few minor things:
The back wheel had one of the biggest balancing weights i've seen on a car / bike.

As long as the bike was mechanically well put together and above faults don't indicate that there could be bigger more important defects, I suppose I could put up with a few minor imperfections. Especially for $10K.

I've only ever seen one but I gave it a good look-over (especially after the woman at Middlemarch backed into it) but my impression was that for a 250 it was a pretty sharp looking wee bike - not my style, I prefer the 'cruiser' look but it was not too bad in finish and appearance for an 'unknown' brand name, also phaedrus told me he had looked around at various brands of 250 and had it sussed that this was the best 'value-for-money' sports type bike he could get.
And phaedrus didn't look like the type of guy that would buy a bike on a whim either. (hope that came out right).!

Candyman
8th August 2005, 23:11
Just a few minor things:

Well thats not to bad, I read a article about them that was on the bikepoint website, said that they had a brakes issue and after talking to one owner of the comet 650 sounds like its just air in the brake lines ( you know that good old sponge feeling ). I would expect after about two years say 10000K resale value would be around $5-6K. The issue I've found with looking for a second bike is that something in the 600cc range your paying about $7k and they are about 8-10 years old with 50K on the clock neither of which is bad, but I'm always weary that someone has thrashed the ring out of them etc They last thing I want is to inherit someone else’s lemon. Having said that new bike also have there issues. So what do you do, slap your money on the counter and hope for the best with a well judged decision lol

Candyman
8th August 2005, 23:18
I've only ever seen one but I gave it a good look-over (especially after the woman at Middlemarch backed into it) but my impression was that for a 250 it was a pretty sharp looking wee bike - not my style, I prefer the 'cruiser' look but it was not too bad in finish and appearance for an 'unknown' brand name, also phaedrus told me he had looked around at various brands of 250 and had it sussed that this was the best 'value-for-money' sports type bike he could get.
And phaedrus didn't look like the type of guy that would buy a bike on a whim either. (hope that came out right).!

I do think that they will start to be well known in the next 5 years, from what I've seen so far, and the companies history, I think they are going to eat into the Jap market, especially when they are priced so well, I think the 250 range is looking very good for entry level or economical commuters. And the 650 isn't to bad for the gas consumption either

zadok
8th August 2005, 23:28
very true, I know that Hyosung has head hunted some of Suzuki’s designers so its possible that it comes from there
http://www.hyosungmotors.com.au/about.html

zadok
8th August 2005, 23:31
If I was in the market (I aren't) for a new V-Twin, I would definitely take one for a spin. Couldn't hurt to check it out. The GT650S looks the go.

Candyman
8th August 2005, 23:33
If I was in the market (I aren't) for a new V-Twin, I would definitely take one for a spin. Couldn't hurt to check it out. The GT650S looks the go.

Cheers Zadok, I didn't even know they did a S model lol, haven't seen it around

Candyman
8th August 2005, 23:35

Scumdog, check this out the GV650 "coming soon" lol

scumdog
9th August 2005, 00:23
Scumdog, check this out the GV650 "coming soon" lol

Hmm, a poor mans V-Rod ( a bit uglier around the engine though) but the question is: do the $3,000 hard side-bags from a V-Rod fit it??

Candyman
9th August 2005, 07:28
Hmm, a poor mans V-Rod ( a bit uglier around the engine though) but the question is: do the $3,000 hard side-bags from a V-Rod fit it??

Now thats not a bad idea, But like you said a poor mans V-Rod. If cruisers where my thing and I couldn't afford a V-Rod, I would definitely give this little number a serious looking at

shandawg
9th August 2005, 07:40
I'm in London at the moment, was just watching a bike show and they did a comparison with the sv650s (no prizes for guessing why).

They hated it! the guy who was reviewing laid it down on the grass at the end of the review and jumped on it!

I've never been for a ride on one personally though :wait:

Lou Girardin
9th August 2005, 09:23
I'm in London at the moment, was just watching a bike show and they did a comparison with the sv650s (no prizes for guessing why).

They hated it! the guy who was reviewing laid it down on the grass at the end of the review and jumped on it!

I've never been for a ride on one personally though :wait:

And remember when they bagged Jap cars? (Still do in many parts)
Bad reviews of 'unknown' brands have more to do with xenophobia than fact.

sels1
9th August 2005, 21:39
And remember when they bagged Jap cars? (Still do in many parts)
Bad reviews of 'unknown' brands have more to do with xenophobia than fact.

True. And as they get more accepted, their price goes up.

Candyman
10th August 2005, 22:06
True. And as they get more accepted, their price goes up.

Isn't that the truth

Pixie
10th August 2005, 22:56

I commend you on your open mindedness,but don't you think you have one too many eyes to be a Harley owner? :devil2:

justsomeguy
11th August 2005, 01:14
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=14914