PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke big end failing

Conquiztador
21st October 2012, 08:30
I would love if some of the ones with knowledge re 2 strokers could have a look at this and give me your opinions:

I have just bought a 2009 KTM 85cc MX bike for my son. He has been riding KTM for 4 1/2 years and we have not had one big end fail. (OK, so the bikes have been small ones: 50cc and 65cc). I have rebuilt the big ends at approx 40-50h use before a failure occured. Top end gets a new piston etc. at approx 20-25h use. He does relative much racing: We have this year been racing every w/e since beginning of February and will do the same in 2013 with the 85cc one. We use 40/1 mixture and use quality full synthetic 2 stroke oil.

The 85 I got had 2 big ends fail inside 2 months before I got it. After 20min on the beach (to get a hang of the bike) and 2 1/2 lap in practice before the race, the big end again failed for us. The motor had been repaired both times by the same bike mechanic that has a good reputation and is used by many in the HB MX circles. The crank and conrod are not original KTM bits but by Hot Rods. Tends to be the only aftermarket ones that can easily be found for the KTM 85's.

The KTM 85's have a little of a reputation as a bike that blows big ends. On the web you will find many "experts" who have their own solutions what the best fix is. When talking to a KTM shop they obviously tell you that we should have a original KTM crank and conrod set up with the tolerances as specified by KTM. So I have bitten the bullet and a original KTM setup is now on the way for just under $700.

When talking to the mechanic who repaired the big end twice he blaims the jetting. Too lean he recons. (Bike came from factory in 2009 with a 118 jet. He fitted a 125 jet at last repair). Todays 2 stokers have a reed valve through which the fuel mix goes in to the crank chamber and then at bottom stroke is transferred to the top of the piston. Initially I disagreed with him as in my world lean jetting meant a seized top end, but the top/piston is in perfect shape. The spark plug is also nicely chocolate brown. But after some more thinking he might have a point as the fuel mix will pass the big end before getting to the top of the piston.

Clearly I have no interest in rebuilding the big end after every race meeting, so I am trying to figure out a way to make sure the big end survives 40-50 hours (that it should do) w/o exploding.

Also: When I got the bike it was running like crap: Plug was black and oily and she was smoking heaps (recon it was the jump in main jet size that caused this). I spent some time on this and got it better by dropping the needle one click. (from middle to dropping the needle one click)

Here the options I have come up with including pro's and con's I can think of:

1. Have the crank and conrod sent to one of the overseas engineers who recon they have the solution.
- Before I would know if their solution is actually "the one" I would not consider this. And there would be the additional costs...

2. Re-engineer the reed valve inlet setup. This has been discussed as one solution (There is an opinion that KTM got this part wrong on this engine).
- Probably not an option as the costs would be high and it would be based on trial and error and guess work.

3. Fit a modified Yamaha crank assembly.
- Others have done this with good results. But it would not be my first option as it would again add costs to a bike that was initially cheap but soon would become a money pit...

4. Re-jet bike with bigger main jet.
- If this will save the big end until I do the rebuilds anyhow (40-50 housr of use) then this clearly would be the preferred option. But I have a suspicion that the motor would be running rich and splutter (it was doing this when we got it) and even if I could get it to rev properly at full throttle, the mid range would be a problem and I would end up dropping the needle. This could mean that there would still be same issue at 1/4 - 3/4 throttle. And the chance would be that the big end would again blow.

5. Change the fuel/oil mix to say 30:1.
- I am not sure how this would work in practice. Clearly the jets would have to be bigger (as there would be more oil and less fuel coming in to the motor). But perhaps things would get oiled up and plugs would start to fail?
- If this was the solution, why has KTM not advised it's re-sellers to recommed this, as it would be a easy fix?

6. Use one of the racing fuels available overseas.
- Would be costly to import (don't even know if I could do this). And I have no idea if this would fix things?

That is abaout as far as I have got. The new crank/conrod assembly will arrive 7 November and I plan to have the bike up and running before the w/e 10/11 November as the bike will be raced then.

Any help appreciated!

DEATH_INC.
21st October 2012, 10:23
From my probably out of date experience I'd be blaming the aftermarket stuff. KTM's are normally pretty good for wear...
40:1 is very rich on the oil...even in the old days I ran either 50 or 60 to 1 on synthetics. Doubt that is the problem...though remember more oil leans out the fuel mixture...the oil makes the fuel thicker so not so much gets through the jets...which brings us to the other part. I doubt this too though. The easy question is is there oil on the bearing/pin etc when you pull it apart? Is the bearing blue and burnt? If there's oil in there that isn't the problem..they don't need much to lubricate it. If the bearing still looks the right colour that means the same thing normally. Got any pics?

Conquiztador
21st October 2012, 11:28
From my probably out of date experience I'd be blaming the aftermarket stuff. KTM's are normally pretty good for wear...
40:1 is very rich on the oil...even in the old days I ran either 50 or 60 to 1 on synthetics. Doubt that is the problem...though remember more oil leans out the fuel mixture...the oil makes the fuel thicker so not so much gets through the jets...which brings us to the other part. I doubt this too though. The easy question is is there oil on the bearing/pin etc when you pull it apart? Is the bearing blue and burnt? If there's oil in there that isn't the problem..they don't need much to lubricate it. If the bearing still looks the right colour that means the same thing normally. Got any pics?

Thanks for your reply! Sorry, no pics at this stage. I have only taken the barrel and piston off. The conrod moves up/down approx 5mm as a result of the failed big end. Will take motor apart the coming week as the new crank comes 7'th November. I be able to tell you more then and take some pics.

ktm84mxc
22nd October 2012, 07:14
Some of the KTM's were prone to shitting the big end bearings it was traced back to the crank halves being pressed together to tightly thus pinching the bearing, esp 450sx's.
Give Mark Patterson a call at Patterson and Oconnor he'll put you right on specs , he's forgotten more then most know on KTM's.

Conquiztador
22nd October 2012, 08:49
Some of the KTM's were prone to shitting the big end bearings it was traced back to the crank halves being pressed together to tightly thus pinching the bearing, esp 450sx's.
Give Mark Patterson a call at Patterson and Oconnor he'll put you right on specs , he's forgotten more then most know on KTM's.

Cheers. That is in Rotorua. Will try to get hold of him.

DEATH_INC.
22nd October 2012, 10:04
Is Mark still going? He's the shiz orright.....

Crasherfromwayback
22nd October 2012, 10:53
Not trying to be smart arsed...but why not put it together, sell it, and buy something that doesn't shit big ends?

Conquiztador
22nd October 2012, 11:31
Not trying to be smart arsed...but why not put it together, sell it, and buy something that doesn't shit big ends?

It has crossed my mind. But we want a KTM, and the KTM's we have used in the last 4 1/2 years have all been good to us. Vinny has had no DNF races. Not one. (Closest we got was a rear puncture on first lap, but I grabbed the spare bike and when he came past I cut the Transponder of the bike and put it in his boot as he jumped on that one. He finished the race at the end of the pack but had a good race. Not sure how legal that was but was not really worried. And as it was a puncture the KTM can not be blamed for that.)

This year Vinny has raced every w/e since beginning of February. So I can not fault the KTM's. And I see a few KTM 85's racing so they can not all be hand-granades. I recon it is just about two things:
1. Set up the motor correctly and figure out what causes the big end issue and solve it.
2. Maintenance and replacing bits befor they break. (In my many years riding solo speedway I never had a DNF as a result of bike failure. I had a few as result of crashing... I used to do a full rebuild once a year in off season, replace piston, conrod, all bearings, do the valves, strip magneto (raced Jawa), new chain and sprockets, rebuild carbi. Always fit new tubes when replacing tyres. Others motors would blow up. Mine never did.)

And I am also a little the kind who wants to prove that it can be done... And if we were to go for another 85cc, what do you recommend? None of the others make us excited. Probably closest to a maybe would be a Kawasaki. But even then, the jap's have done no development on their 2'stroke bikes since 90's...

Conquiztador
22nd October 2012, 11:34
Is Mark still going? He's the shiz orright.....

I tell you tomorrow if he is still around.

Crasherfromwayback
22nd October 2012, 11:38
It has crossed my mind. But we want a KTM, and the KTM's we have used in the last 4 1/2 years have all been good to us.

And I am also a little the kind who wants to prove that it can be done.....

Fair enough! Silly question...but is the rev limiter cutting in when it should?

Conquiztador
22nd October 2012, 11:47
Fair enough! Silly question...but is the rev limiter cutting in when it should?

No idea. We have only done approx 30 min on the bika all up and at this stage it has been Vinnys first 85cc experience so I do not think he got that high in revs. I have the repair manual turning up on a CD and will look in to that when setting up the bike. Cheers for suggestion!

Crasherfromwayback
22nd October 2012, 12:07
No idea. We have only done approx 30 min on the bika all up and at this stage it has been Vinnys first 85cc experience so I do not think he got that high in revs. I have the repair manual turning up on a CD and will look in to that when setting up the bike. Cheers for suggestion!

Yeah roller bearing cranks don't actually like being revved super hard despite what peeps think about two strokes! And I always run my smokers at 32:1 regardless of the oil being used. Never lost a big end in many years/bikes.

Conquiztador
22nd October 2012, 12:11
Yeah roller bearing cranks don't actually like being revved super hard despite what peeps think about two strokes! And I always run my smokers at 32:1 regardless of the oil being used. Never lost a big end in many years/bikes.

I did run the KTM 50cc's and the 65's at 40:1. I have been told it was wrong, apperently was supposed to be 60:1... When I was a kid we always used 20:1 (5% oil) in the pre mix.

Crasherfromwayback
22nd October 2012, 12:35
. I have been told it was wrong, apperently was supposed to be 60:1... When I was a kid we always used 20:1 (5% oil) in the pre mix.

Yeah I don't dig 50 and 60:1. There's no way more oil in the fuel can hurt things if your jetting is good.

Conquiztador
22nd October 2012, 12:46
Yeah I don't dig 50 and 60:1. There's no way more oil in the fuel can hurt things if your jetting is good.

I have heard comments that powervalve gets all gooed up with too much oil in mix. But have not seen this myself.

Crasherfromwayback
22nd October 2012, 12:59
I have heard comments that powervalve gets all gooed up with too much oil in mix. But have not seen this myself.

Not with such clean buring oils we have now in my experience.

SS90
23rd October 2012, 01:44
I have no experience with this model of KTM, but I have seen plenty of aftermarket rod manufacturers in the last 10 years move production to "cheaper" nations, resulting in lower quality everything.

I have never used hot rod since Steve Ward had one (with about 20 minutes racing) act like a sythe through the cases, destroying cases, cylinder and pretty much everything else.

Experience with two stroke engines suggests to me that low hours such as you have, that the problem is with either the pin hardening, or the bearing (or both)
Pictures would be ideal.

I have seen far too many manufacturers produce faulty pins (and offer nothing for your hassle other than another (faulty) pin.)

What do the shims look like?

This will give a clue.

DEATH_INC.
23rd October 2012, 07:55
Funny eh, the smokers really don't rev that hard, they just sound like it....
I'll admit to being jumpy about running such low oil-fuel mixes ( I grew up, like crasher, when 25:1 was considered thin!), but a long time ago someone convinced me to do it in my last mx bike ('85KTM), running either 50:1 bel-ray or 60:1 silkolene and with a bit of rejetting it really made a huge difference to both power and response. Never had any reliability/wear issues either, and everything was always plenty oily enough when I pulled it down to check things. Ran a grey pipe even! I wouldn't hesitate now...

Conquiztador
23rd October 2012, 08:06
I have no experience with this model of KTM, but I have seen plenty of aftermarket rod manufacturers in the last 10 years move production to "cheaper" nations, resulting in lower quality everything.

I have never used hot rod since Steve Ward had one (with about 20 minutes racing) act like a sythe through the cases, destroying cases, cylinder and pretty much everything else.

Experience with two stroke engines suggests to me that low hours such as you have, that the problem is with either the pin hardening, or the bearing (or both)
Pictures would be ideal.

I have seen far too many manufacturers produce faulty pins (and offer nothing for your hassle other than another (faulty) pin.)

What do the shims look like?

This will give a clue.

Cheers. Yep, I am also allergic to the quality coming from "cheaper" country manufacturers. Will provide pictures when I split the cases and get the crank out.

Conquiztador
23rd October 2012, 08:09
Funny eh, the smokers really don't rev that hard, they just sound like it....
I'll admit to being jumpy about running such low oil-fuel mixes ( I grew up, like crasher, when 25:1 was considered thin!), but a long time ago someone convinced me to do it in my last mx bike ('85KTM), running either 50:1 bel-ray or 60:1 silkolene and with a bit of rejetting it really made a huge difference to both power and response. Never had any reliability/wear issues either, and everything was always plenty oily enough when I pulled it down to check things. Ran a grey pipe even! I wouldn't hesitate now...

And that is one of the considerations here. Using less oil in the mix will give better performance and response. But will we risk failure as a result? A fine balance act me recons.

DEATH_INC.
23rd October 2012, 08:29
And that is one of the considerations here. Using less oil in the mix will give better performance and response. But will we risk failure as a result? A fine balance act me recons.
Yep, that's smokers for ya. Most of the better oil manufacturers will tell you what mixtures they recommend, they know their stuff, they do a hell of a lot of r&d before they sell the stuff. As a side note...some of the outboards run 100:1 :eek5:

Conquiztador
24th October 2012, 09:53
Wrote an email to Mark Patterson yesterday and got the reply today:

hi pete,there have been some crank issues over the years with these motors,the 2013 85sx has a different crank with a smaller crankpin that rotates at a slower speed.i have checked with australia and this complete crank can be retrofitted to your engine(that would be my recommendation).our 85sx up here we run 118-120 main jet,needle one clip up from middle(same as yours) air screw 1.5 turn out 40:1 fuel mix,regards <o:p></o>
Mark Patterson <o:p></o>
Co-Director/Suspension

So looks like my settings are fine. Now have changed that order to a 2013 crank and conrod assembly and let's hope that it is the solution!!

Crasherfromwayback
24th October 2012, 14:26
2013 85sx has a different crankwith a smaller crankpin that rotates at a slower speed.]

So was kinda over revving in a round about way.

SMOKEU
24th October 2012, 17:55
As a side note...some of the outboards run 100:1 :eek5:

Apparently that's only recommended by the engine manufacturers because it's an easy way to get past the emissions regulations without redesigning the whole engine or adding EFI.

Conquiztador
24th October 2012, 20:00
So was kinda over revving in a round about way.

Yep. And there is apperently some more minor changes ( "Extra shrouding on the crank webs" ) to boost performance also.

So with the new crank/conrod combination I should have a 2009 KTM 85cc that has a crank that will last the 50h before I rebuild it, and also have some added performane compared to other ones from before 2013. So all good!

And as mentioned, my setup is what the KTM shop is using when setting up their bikes, so I feel confident that I will have this sussed. Even the 40:1 mix seems to be right!

Crasherfromwayback
24th October 2012, 20:12
Yep. And there is apperently some more minor changes ( "Extra shrouding on the crank webs" ) to boost performance also.

So with the new crank/conrod combination I should have a 2009 KTM 85cc that has a crank that will last the 50h before I rebuild it, and also have some added performane compared to other ones from before 2013. So all good!

And as mentioned, my setup is what the KTM shop is using when setting up their bikes, so I feel confident that I will have this sussed. Even the 40:1 mix seems to be right!

Way to go! Roost on!!!