PDA

View Full Version : I found one!

MystikEagle
22nd October 2012, 20:01
Finally found a bike!

Suzuki GS500, (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=525309057) went to look at it today and loved it! It has more power than I can use with my experience but I feel very safe and comfortable riding it.
It is bought and paid for and I will be calling Bike Tranz tomorrow to sort out transport. (I don't feel confident enough to ride it home so thought this was a safer option)

So, anyone out there who would like to give me a lesson or two to get me started on the right foot? Or the left foot...?

Geeen
22nd October 2012, 20:12
Nice Buy, congrats! And just in time for the decent weather:niceone:

Jantar
22nd October 2012, 20:12
Nice choice. A great learner's bike.

MystikEagle
22nd October 2012, 20:15
Thanks guys! I just can't wait to have it here so I can get out riding and start building my confidence and experience! :wings:

mossy1200
22nd October 2012, 20:17
Im going to have to give you positive rep for a good choice of bike.

Ocean1
22nd October 2012, 20:19
Nice. Good fit and a reasonable cost.

Was never sure if they qualified as a goose, or if that was the 350...

MystikEagle
22nd October 2012, 20:20
Nice. Good fit and a reasonable cost.

Was never sure if they qualified as a goose, or if that was the 350...

What is a goose?

mossy1200
22nd October 2012, 20:24
What is a goose?

Slower than an eagle.

I think its only the 350 version that was called goose.

MystikEagle
22nd October 2012, 20:26
Slower than an eagle.

I think its only the 350 version that was called goose.

Can you please explain...? I haven't heard these terms before :scratch:

mossy1200
22nd October 2012, 20:29

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-523271979.htm

gs350 also known as a goose.
Smaller version of what you just bought.

_Shrek_
22nd October 2012, 20:31
well done missy enjoy the bike :niceone:

Ocean1
22nd October 2012, 20:41

Yes. I'd heard the word used in the context of a twin and that single, but it looks like it only applies to the single. Be another good LAMS option too.

FJRider
22nd October 2012, 20:52

Goose was a model ... not a term.

Nice bike you have now ... and don't worry. In a few months time ... and you will find all those horse's ... :wings:

Glowerss
22nd October 2012, 20:53
Well done! Grats on a nice find. Dirt cheap for what it is! Keep it shiny side up and rubber side down :drinknsin

neels
22nd October 2012, 21:11
Nice buy for at that price, should keep you amused for quite a while. :niceone:

MystikEagle
23rd October 2012, 03:42
Thanks guys. Looking forward to getting out there with everyone :yes:

sinfull
23rd October 2012, 05:37
everyone :yes: Looking forward to it !

See ya saturday, there's even a prize for longest traveled learner !

Tigadee
23rd October 2012, 07:37
So, anyone out there who would like to give me a lesson or two to get me started on the right foot? Or the left foot...?

Spend a day or two practicing in a nearby car park. Stay off the roads until you get a very good idea of clutchwork.

One of the first things a noob will do is stall the bike (sometimes at inconvenient locations) and sometimes as a result dropping it, so getting a good feel just for the friction zone in various situations (on level ground, on an uphill slope, turning from a stop, etc.) will save you a lot of trouble, pain and damage.

Once you're comfortable with turns, U-turns and stopping, then you can venture out on to the roads, and after a while, on to the motorway. Take your time learning and enjoy.

Here's a list of noob mistakes (I've learnt anyway):
1. Forgetting the sidestand (and dropping bike)
2. Forgetting to turn off the indicator after turning
3. Stalling (and dropping bike)
4. Braking too hard/too soft (too hard and dropping bike, too soft and end up not stopping in time)
5. Letting the clutch out too fast
6. Putting yur foot out on the wrong side of a slope when stopping (resulting in a drop/fall :facepalm:)
7. Running out of petrol (won't usually happen if you've got a fuel gauge)
8. Running on near flat tyres (so check everytime you fill up)
9. Leaving the KILL switch off and then wondering why the bike is dead when I try to start it the next day!
10. Leaving the bike in first gear and bike jumps forward when you next start it (resulting in almost dropping bike :facepalm:)

Drew
23rd October 2012, 07:49
9. Leaving the KILL switch off and then wondering why the bike is dead when I try to start it the next day!Be thankful young noob, that you do not own a Honda. For not only does it make you a screaming fag, but with the kill switch off some models will still turn over with the starter, but will not run.

Many a battery has been completely drained because of Honda's stupidest over complication ever! Which is quite an accolade, considering for a couple decades they were convinced that redesigning everything was the only way forward.

MystikEagle
23rd October 2012, 09:02
Spend a day or two practicing in a nearby car park. Stay off the roads until you get a very good idea of clutchwork.

One of the first things a noob will do is stall the bike (sometimes at inconvenient locations) and sometimes as a result dropping it, so getting a good feel just for the friction zone in various situations (on level ground, on an uphill slope, turning from a stop, etc.) will save you a lot of trouble, pain and damage.

Once you're comfortable with turns, U-turns and stopping, then you can venture out on to the roads, and after a while, on to the motorway. Take your time learning and enjoy.

Here's a list of noob mistakes (I've learnt anyway):
1. Forgetting the sidestand
2. Forgetting to turn off the indicator after turning
3. Stalling and dropping bike
4. Braking too hard/too soft
5. Letting the clutch out too fast
6. Putting yur foot out on the wrong side of a slope when stopping (resulting in a drop/fall :facepalm:)
7. Running out of petrol (won't usually happen if you've got a fuel gauge)
9. Leaving the KILL switch off and then wondering why the bike is dead when I try to start it the next day!

Thanks alot for that. That was going to be the plan for a start, but it's nice to know what I may do wrong!
I live not far from Mystery Creek and the entrance to there is probably the closest thing to a car park near me. Once I get a bit more confident, there is a massive car park in Te Awamutu that has been almost empty every time I have driven past, so that will be the next step.

Tigadee
23rd October 2012, 10:10
Be thankful young noob, that you do not own a Honda. For not only does it make you a screaming fag, but with the kill switch off some models will still turn over with the starter, but will not run.

So very true!! That happens with the Super Magna.

Tigadee
23rd October 2012, 10:12
Once I get a bit more confident, there is a massive car park in Te Awamutu that has been almost empty every time I have driven past, so that will be the next step.

Good plan! :niceone: Hopefully someone from your area wil be able to come out and mother hen ya...

george formby
23rd October 2012, 11:02
Excellent choice mysticbeagle. I dof my cap & tug my fetlock in your general direction. Have loads of fun!

Str8 Jacket
23rd October 2012, 11:09
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-523271979.htm

A Goose = SG350 and are nothing to do with a GS.... I have one, they are excellent little bikes. Made in Japan especially as a "cafe-type-racer" they have a DR350 engine and an RGV250 front end.....

ducatilover
23rd October 2012, 11:37
Awesome choice in bike, well done!

A Goose = SG350 and are nothing to do with a GS.... I have one, they are excellent little bikes. Made in Japan especially as a "cafe-type-racer" they have a DR350 engine and an RGV250 front end.....
You forgot to mention, sexiest frame work of any Zook, ever :drool: I need one.

Str8 Jacket
23rd October 2012, 11:42
Awesome choice in bike, well done!

You forgot to mention, sexiest frame work of any Zook, ever :drool: I need one.

There is a black one on Trade Me at the moment. Low k's looks mint as. I would buy it if I had the $$. They are awesome bikes, great in the twisties and great for commuting. Love, love, love my Goose!

ckai
23rd October 2012, 12:09
Congrats on the ride. It is a good price.

haha I did this a few times when fresh and only saved it because of strength in my legs. Wifey did this once on her old bike and only saved it by pure will power. Ain't no way she was dropping it :)

God, it's amazing how many riders, not even new ones, that don't have decent pressure in their tyres. We borrowed a mates bike once for a licence and I pointed out the tyres looked a little 'square'. Rode down to the servo (luckily about 200m) and found they only had 10psi in them! So that would explain the sluggishness.:crazy:

Tigadee
23rd October 2012, 12:47
There is a black one on Trade Me at the moment. Low k's looks mint as. I would buy it if I had the $$. They are awesome bikes, great in the twisties and great for commuting. Love, love, love my Goose!

That ones looks awesome... How's the seat on the Goose? It looks kinda flat and uncomfortable...

Banditbandit
23rd October 2012, 13:01
Finally found a bike!

Suzuki GS500, (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=525309057) went to look at it today and loved it! It has more power than I can use with my experience but I feel very safe and comfortable riding it.
It is bought and paid for and I will be calling Bike Tranz tomorrow to sort out transport. (I don't feel confident enough to ride it home so thought this was a safer option)

Good choice.

I tend to start with the left foot on the peg (move gear lever to first) and the right foot on the ground (stop the bike falling over ...)

Str8 Jacket
23rd October 2012, 13:04
That ones looks awesome... How's the seat on the Goose? It looks kinda flat and uncomfortable...

The riders seat is fine. It's a lot more comfy than it looks and you sit nicely into the bike so can lean on the tank if going longer distances. I am also shortish and weigh a lot less than a grown man so that may make a difference..... The pillion seat however = OUCH!

insomnia01
23rd October 2012, 13:33
anyone out there who would like to give me a lesson or two to get me started on the right foot? Or the left foot...?

Well done & Welcome aboard !!:2thumbsup Keep a eye on LOR rides in the meeting & Events threads for the Waikato region, come along on a ride sometime :grouphug:

Tigadee
23rd October 2012, 13:49
I tend to start with the left foot on the peg (move gear lever to first) and the right foot on the ground (stop the bike falling over ...)

That's a good subject.

MSYeagle - Best is to put both feet down if you can, especially in windy conditions, uneven surfaces, when going to turn from stop, etc.

I've (yes, yet again...:rolleyes:) dropped a bike because I stalled when turning from a stop and neglected to have the foot on turning side down. If I had, I would have been able to stop the bike from falling over on me foot (240kgs of bike on your foot = big ouch/bruise!).

MystikEagle
23rd October 2012, 19:46
Thanks alot for all your help guys!
What foot do you put down on a slope? I tend to just find a flat spot or face up the slope with the farm bike... (not that we have many hills on this farm...)

Ocean1
23rd October 2012, 19:53
What foot do you put down on a slope? I tend to just find a flat spot or face up the slope with the farm bike... (not that we have many hills on this farm...)

You should try to get comfortable with either foot down. But given that it's more better to have the back brake available I reckon it's a good idea to hook 1st gear before you stop, pull the clutch as usual and drop the left foot. That way you can hold the bike on the slope with the back brake, and it's easier to throttle up and take off if you're not having to worry about the front brake at the same time.

Make sense?

Captain_Salty
23rd October 2012, 19:53
Good choice. I have the owners/workshop manuals on pdf, if you'd like a copy emailed, PM me.
These bikes are known to be cold blooded and mine won't idle nice until it's properly warmed up, but if it wants to stall while idling there are a couple of things worth checking.

MystikEagle
23rd October 2012, 19:59
You should try to get comfortable with either foot down. But given that it's more better to have the back brake available I reckon it's a good idea to hook 1st gear before you stop, pull the clutch as usual and drop the left foot. That way you can hold the bike on the slope with the back brake, and it's easier to throttle up and take off if you're not having to worry about the front brake at the same time.

Make sense?

That sounds about what I would do :)
What about when facing across the slope rather than up/down?

Damantis
23rd October 2012, 20:04
Wish I could have got something like that instead of a 250 to start on.
It will feel powerfull now but in a six months or so you'll be wondering what you want next!

Ocean1
23rd October 2012, 20:06

Depends on how much leg-reach you've got. Doesn't take much of a slope to have you stretching, though.

If your left foot can't reach then use your right on the uphill side. Try to organise it so you're pointing downhill just a bit if posible and practice using the front brake and throttle at the same time.

Big thing is to have it sorted in your head before you get there. Unsurprisingly, that same idea pretty much deals with almost all of your potential fuckups.

FJRider
23rd October 2012, 20:08

Closest foot to the ground ... unless you have long legs ...

MadDuck
23rd October 2012, 20:14
Closest foot to the ground ... unless you have long legs ...

Yep...This works for me :cool:

FJRider
23rd October 2012, 20:21

You can practice on sloping downhill bits too ... same procedure ... (and easier to practice)

MystikEagle
23rd October 2012, 20:21
Thanks guys! :2thumbsup

Tigadee
23rd October 2012, 20:44
Definitely closest foot to the ground...

The two times I dropped the bike on a slope was because I put my foot down the lower side [being momentarily brainless :facepalm: ] and when the foot didn't encounter the ground that it normally would have and [being caught off-guard] continued downwards, the rest of my body started to follow and then the bike.

It was too late to stop the bike tipping over as momentum, my weight plus the bike's weight combined to pull me over and down. Little damage the first time as it was the tiny Scorpio but the 2nd time really messed up the 400... :wacko:

george formby
23rd October 2012, 20:53
speaking of feet & hills. My G/F taught me a doozy. She rolled backwards down a slightly sloping drive, perfectly, until the bike stopped. Against the camber of the road she had to turn into. Course, the bike was level but the gap below her boots was a at least a foot more than normal, the lowest point between the two slopes. Physics can be really hard on bikers..... Keerrrrunch.:crazy:

FJRider
23rd October 2012, 21:07
speaking of feet & hills. My G/F taught me a doozy. She rolled backwards down a slightly sloping drive, perfectly, until the bike stopped. Against the camber of the road she had to turn into. Course, the bike was level but the gap below her boots was a at least a foot more than normal, the lowest point between the two slopes. Physics can be really hard on bikers..... Keerrrrunch.:crazy:

Exiting/entering vehicle entrance-ways ... stopping with one wheel either side of the gutter.

The distance from the pegs to the ground may not always be huge ... but often just too far ...

Before you park ... stop in a safe place, and give your intended parking place a dam good look.

Better to ride like a nana ... than park and fall like an idiot. The likely hood of such increase's ... the more people (other bikers) there are to see it ...

Jantar
23rd October 2012, 21:19
One of the reasons I believe the Basic Handling skills test should be to stop with your foot in a square rather than stop with your front wheel in a square.

Maha
24th October 2012, 06:29
Definitely closest foot to the ground...

The two times I dropped the bike on a slope was because I put my foot down the lower side [being momentarily brainless :facepalm: ] and when the foot didn't encounter the ground that it normally would have and [being caught off-guard] continued downwards, the rest of my body started to follow and then the bike.

It was too late to stop the bike tipping over as momentum, my weight plus the bike's weight combined to pull me over and down. Little damage the first time as it was the tiny Scorpio but the 2nd time really messed up the 400... :wacko:

I am gun shy of a particluar 'compulsary stop/uphill/right turn/off camber intersection' here.
Was on the CB 1300 to far to the left with Anne on the back and had to stop...would normally do a ''rolling stop'' at said intersection but not on this occassion.
The bike started list to port side immediately and was going down...Anne jumped off but it was a bloody heavy bike to stop falling...I managed to hold it, but felt the strain (of that fall attempt) for a few days after in my left leg and shoulder.

_Shrek_
24th October 2012, 07:15
One of the reasons I believe the Basic Handling skills test should be to stop with your foot in a square rather than stop with your front wheel in a square.

aye :yes: :niceone:

tbs
24th October 2012, 08:38
Good purchase.

Now, I highly recommend you do the Safe Rider course with Pro-rider at the Taupo track on November 25.

I did one at Pukekohe about 1000km after buying my 1st bike and it totally changed the way I was riding. By the end of the day my confidence had gone up by a factor of 20. Oh, and it's crazy fun!

b.

Edit: Link...... http://www.prorider.co.nz/motorcycle-training-coaching.php?page=97

Tigadee
24th October 2012, 08:56
...but it was a bloody heavy bike to stop falling...I managed to hold it, but felt the strain (of that fall attempt) for a few days after in my left leg and shoulder.

:eek5: That bike's no flyweight! :not:

MystikEagle
26th October 2012, 12:55
So, dad has convinced me that with my farm bike riding experience I shoulde be fine to ride my new bike home.

"You have a flat, even surface, wider tyres and a much more stable bike. You know how the road and road rules work from your hours and hours of driving and you know how to handle a bike on the farm. Now you just need to combine the two."

So, I am going down on Sunday (my day off work) and riding back home. Will be taking my time and only going as fast as I feel comfortable going. Any cars that come up behind me I will be letting past at the next safe place to pull over so that I don't feel pressured to go faster. I am well practiced with the whole "look where you want to go" from my years on a horse.

All in all I am feeling confident. A little nervous, but mostly confident. I just wish that the weather was going to be a bit nicer!

Any one out there who wants a slow trip from Hastings to Cambridge on Sunday arvo is welcome to join me...

ducatilover
26th October 2012, 13:02
:2thumbsup:2thumbsup:2thumbsup Good stuff, enjoy the ride

Tigadee
26th October 2012, 13:27
So, I am going down on Sunday (my day off work) and riding back home. Will be taking my time and only going as fast as I feel comfortable going. Any cars that come up behind me I will be letting past at the next safe place to pull over so that I don't feel pressured to go faster. I am well practiced with the whole "look where you want to go" from my years on a horse.

All in all I am feeling confident. A little nervous, but mostly confident. I just wish that the weather was going to be a bit nicer!

I think you'll be alright... :msn-wink:

FJRider
26th October 2012, 16:59
So, dad has convinced me that with my farm bike riding experience I shoulde be fine to ride my new bike home.

Listen to your dad. He knows ...

I'm betting ... by the time you get past Taupo you will be passing cars like the experienced biker chick you will be ... by then.

Go Girl ..

MystikEagle
26th October 2012, 18:48
Thanks guys!

One thing is for sure, I will know how the bike handles by the time I get it home!!! (I just hope I don't make any drastic mistakes in the learning process :no:)

FJRider
26th October 2012, 19:17
Thanks guys!

One thing is for sure, I will know how the bike handles by the time I get it home!!!

Go the long way home ... just to be sure ...

MystikEagle
29th October 2012, 09:38
Yesterday afternoon was one of plenty of learning.

Left Hastings on my new bike at about 4.30 (Kevin, the previous owner came with me for a bit to make sure I was ok), fuelled up at Bay Veiw and then hit the road. I was cruising along, loving the bike and then I had my first (and only so far (touch wood)) major fuck up. Coming up to a left hand bend on the top of a hill, got hit by a wind gust and almost blown right off the other side of the road. I know, rookie mistake :brick:. So I took a deep breath, looked where I needed to be and got back in my own lane. Thankfully there was no-one coming the other way or I wouldn't be typing this right now... After that, I just took it a little slower going around corners and really concentrated on where I was supposed to be.

Had quite a few stops to stretch my legs, put more layers on etc. Stopped in Taupo for dinner about 7, refuelled and hit the road again.

Once it started to get dark, I slowed down even more, let cars past when it was safe to do so and just took my time. The only scary time I had after Taupo was when I had a huge truck sitting up my ass about 10 minutes before Putaruru. I was not going to pull over to the side of the road to let him pass and risk getting blown off or ending up under his wheels. So I just rode the best I could and once I had him slowed down in town, I pulled over in a parking spot to let him go. Truth be told, I was shitting myself!:shit:

Put on my final layer as I was :cold: and it was back on the road again. Got home just before 10 so was a rather long ride for a first time! My ass was aching and I was seriously :yawn: so parked the bike in the shed, stripped off my gear and fell into bed. It wasn't very long at all until I was :zzzz:

So, today's job is to clean all the bugs off my helmet and wash and polish my bike.

All in all, other than my one massive f#@k up, it was a good ride and I am already considering where to go next :) (maybe only once my muscles have recovered, and definately not so long!)

oneofsix
29th October 2012, 09:49
Nice one. Good write up.

Wind can be like that, tempted to say you are being a bit hard on yourself but when you consider how hard an oncoming car would have been ... I was also going to say :bs: like you get to know the wind etc truth is I'm not sure how it works but you do learn to tighten the butt as you go into a corner on a windy day and be ready in case, also learning that generally the bike will lean further than you will allow it gives you more option for staying on your side of the road, but I aint no saint nor expert, just a 20 odd year learner ;)

Pulling over to let the truck pass was probably a good choice rather than trying to stay up right and on track at a lower speed in windy conditions.

:2thumbsup

Maha
29th October 2012, 09:50
Well done to you, a couple of uh oh moments seemed to not put you off all together, and were handled rather well, all things considered.
That truck thing? you did the right thing there, knowing you could let him passed at Putaruru.
Stopping and adding extra layers shows forethought...nothing will take your mind off the job at hand quicker than being cold...(that and wanting a piss :()

ducatilover
29th October 2012, 21:32
Good stuff ;) lots of pics are needed and ride lots!!!!
Good to hear you didn't throw it all over the road, then blame a passing albatross

Drew
30th October 2012, 05:46
...then blame a passing albatrossThose fuckers really cause problems! I can't tell you how many times I've nearly crashed because of one them aresholes came at me out of the blue!

Stirts
30th October 2012, 07:25
then blame a passing albatross

Albatross!! Albatross!!
What flavour was it?
Did you get wafers with it?

Well done Miss MystikEagle!! What a truly awesome first ride for you. Sounds like you learned lots too. :niceone:

MystikEagle
30th October 2012, 09:16
Thanks heaps guys! I was half expecting a lecture over the whole "in the wrong lane" thing...

Had an awesome ride out to my mates place in the country yesterday. Nice, quiet, twisting, hilly roads. Bugger all traffic (I think I met two cars). The sun was shinning and there was almost no wind. I seriously enjoyed myself and am getting much more confident with my turns. A little more interesting riding home today as the wind was much stronger. (It took me just over an hour to get there, one and a half to get home). It is a pretty amazing feeling riding this bike. It turns so easily, just lean it into the corner and round it goes. And I feel so safe and stable on it.

I am starting to wonder why it has taken me so long to get a bike in the first place :scratch:

So now I just need to get some more practice in towns and then I should be fine to book in for my restricted! :banana:

ducatilover
30th October 2012, 09:21
Stay relaxed in the wind and don't get your death grip out on the bars :D
Can I ride it?

MystikEagle
30th October 2012, 09:25
Stay relaxed in the wind and don't get your death grip out on the bars :D
Can I ride it?

Yeah, had to remind myself to stay relaxed when fingers started to go tingly from lack of blood flow due to mentioned "death grip"...

NO!!! :o It's my baby! And you like crashing things... or so I've heard... lol

ducatilover
30th October 2012, 09:29
Yeah, had to remind myself to stay relaxed when fingers started to go tingly from lack of blood flow due to mentioned "death grip"...

NO!!! :o It's my baby! And you like crashing things... or so I've heard... lol It's better to grip the tank if you're scared, or just slam the throttle right open and go for gold :bleh:
But it needs some gravel rash!!!!!

MystikEagle
30th October 2012, 09:38
It's better to grip the tank if you're scared, or just slam the throttle right open and go for gold :bleh:
But it needs some gravel rash!!!!!

Lol, no gravel rash allowed!

Speaking of gravel, I had my first experience of riding on it yesterday. The last 5 or 10 minutes out to my mates is gravel so was a good learning curve. Just took it slow and stuck to the tyre tracks, only drifted a little. All in all, I was very pleased with my first attempt :yes:

Right, now I am off to town to get some cleaning and polishing supplies. It's going to be all bright and shiny when I'm finished :drool:

ducatilover
30th October 2012, 09:40
Yet again stay relaxed, then wide open throttle (what could possibly go wrong?)

Pics of clean bike are mandatory

MystikEagle
30th October 2012, 15:39
Photos!!! :wings:

Watch out for the shiny parts! You may need glasses... :cool:

(Hopefully that worked...)

george formby
30th October 2012, 15:54
Orsome Meagle!

Been a big weekend for the ladies, my GF did her first big run on Sunday, far enough to numb the cheeks but not quite as epic as yourself & similarly she learned a lot.

She may have a slightly different mind set, though. Never thought I would be telling her to save it for the track so soon. Gotta watch these 40 somethings:lol:

Lovely bike, I think you done real good.

Drew
30th October 2012, 15:57

(Hopefully that worked...)Needs a loud pipe.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=526923616

Ride down here, I'll even fit it up.

MystikEagle
30th October 2012, 16:01
Needs a loud pipe.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=526923616

Ride down here, I'll even fit it up.

Would be nice :drool: but I should probably leave it stock till Iv'e got my full... :(

Captain_Salty
30th October 2012, 18:40
Careful with the sidestand on the grass. They can suddenly sink in.

IanGt750
30th October 2012, 18:48
Nice weight bike to hone some skills and more horses under your control than in any Cambridge paddock. A good outing is Tauranga from Cambridge in the summer, enjoy.

FJRider
30th October 2012, 18:59
All in all, other than my one massive f#@k up, it was a good ride and I am already considering where to go next :) (maybe only once my muscles have recovered, and definately not so long!)

For the distance ... not too bad a time. You did well. A bit of experience at night riding too ...

It wasn't a f#@k up ... (that's only if you scratch the paint or lose a bit of blood) ... just an oop's ...

You will learn most of the places a wind gust could find you .... but a few do catch you out.

Tigadee
30th October 2012, 19:18
Photos!!!
Watch out for the shiny parts! You may need glasses...

Nice! Oh, didn't realise they were parallel twins...

mossy1200
30th October 2012, 19:47
:clap::banana::woohoo::scooter: Nice Bike.

ducatilover
30th October 2012, 22:07
Looks good :D
I think the first thing on your list would be bin those IRC RX01s it's running for some BT45s or Sport Demons, then lots and lots of riding!

Drew
31st October 2012, 05:40
Looks good :D
I think the first thing on your list would be bin those IRC RX01s it's running for some BT45s or Sport Demons, then lots and lots of riding!

I'm with ^^^^ Get some better tyres before you ride anywhere in the rain.

MystikEagle
31st October 2012, 19:34
I managed to get one last ride in yesterday before it was back to work today.

After spending hours cleaning and polishing I found myself sitting around with nothing to do. The sun was still shining (about 5.30) and there was almost no wind. I thought "I could go for a short ride, maybe over to TeAwamutu for dinner...".

Instead, I ended up going out to Raglan and had fish and chips on the beach. Not entirely sure how that one worked... :scratch:

Anyway, I had never been to Raglan before and didn't realise how twisty the road was. So I ended up with a few cars behind me as I am still rather wary of corners and going too fast :(
So of course I pulled over wherever it was safe to do so but found that I had to remind myself of a very important fact. I have only been riding a road bike since SUNDAY! I'm allowed to go slow and take my time, I'm still learning :baby: Once I remembered this, I was shocked and stunned at how much I have developed over such a short time (and how many miles I've done too!).

So all in all, I am loving my bike and enjoying every minute in the saddle :love:
I have only had one fuck up (touch wood)
And I am getting more confident every time I ride it!

Now it will have to get parked up until my next lot of days off :cry: but I may sneak out for a ride after work one day... Or at least give it another clean and polish :whistle:

FJRider
31st October 2012, 21:13
And I am getting more confident every time I ride it!

Be careful ... overconfidence can be the downfall of a biker.

Find a few back roads with a few winding bits ... that doesn't get much traffic. Get the map book out and have a look.

Glowerss
31st October 2012, 21:27

Find a few back roads with a few winding bits ... that doesn't get much traffic. Get the map book out and have a look.

What he said. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/132965-Progression-of-a-total-motorcycle-noob is a good read. You don't strike me as the "knee down" type. But overconfidence is overconfidence. Take her slow!

ducatilover
31st October 2012, 21:29
I hope you've done some choice wheelies

Drew
1st November 2012, 05:47

Find a few back roads with a few winding bits ... that doesn't get much traffic. Get the map book out and have a look.Ya don't have to look for back roads around Cambridge man, they're just there.

Maha
1st November 2012, 06:31
Go out to Kawhia next at some stage..the road out there off SH39 is made for motorcycling.....90 kms from Cambridge.

MystikEagle
1st November 2012, 09:13

Thanks. I am definately riding well within my limits. I tend to be more the opposite of over confident...

What he said. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...otorcycle-noob is a good read. You don't strike me as the "knee down" type. But overconfidence is overconfidence. Take her slow!

I have read this thread already. Getting the knee down is not on my list of goals at all! Taking it very slow around the corners right now, probably only doing 60/70 around an 85...

I have a mate who lives in Ngaroma (about 70 odd kms in the middle of no where), nice twisty roads, bugger all traffic and even a little gravel at the end. I stay out there on my days off so will be taking the bike from now on and probably have a play (sorry, practice :innocent:) on some of the roads while he's at work :)

arcane12
1st November 2012, 09:41
That sounded like an epic first ride! Glad you made it safe and sound.

And now out on gravel! Town riding is the next hurdle, I found the best way to get over the intimidating factor of sitting in a bunch of cages at the lights was just to force myself to do it. Going through town instead of around, and hitting as many lights as I could. Good way of learning that whole clutch thing again (6 years in an auto got me a bit rusty).

Looks like a great bike, I was always a bit worried about going for an older bike myself ('97 isn't old!) as it could unveil my ignorance of bike mechanicals.

I also doubt I'll be looking to get a knee down, but on a cruiser I would think that would be difficult! (hmm a challenge??)

Jantar
1st November 2012, 10:01
..Instead, I ended up going out to Raglan and had fish and chips on the beach. Not entirely sure how that one worked... :scratch: ...:

Motorcycling does that to you. there are many times I started out on a 100km ride to meet the dunedin riders at Lawrence for coffee, and arrived home 800 - 1000 kms later.

MystikEagle
1st November 2012, 13:17
That sounded like an epic first ride! Glad you made it safe and sound.

And now out on gravel! Town riding is the next hurdle, I found the best way to get over the intimidating factor of sitting in a bunch of cages at the lights was just to force myself to do it. Going through town instead of around, and hitting as many lights as I could. Good way of learning that whole clutch thing again (6 years in an auto got me a bit rusty).

Looks like a great bike, I was always a bit worried about going for an older bike myself ('97 isn't old!) as it could unveil my ignorance of bike mechanicals.

I also doubt I'll be looking to get a knee down, but on a cruiser I would think that would be difficult! (hmm a challenge??)

Thanks mate! Yeah, I went through Hamilton on my way to Raglan so I could follow the sign posts and not get lost lol.
I always managed to end up first in the line at traffic lights... Pretty confident around Cambridge though, even went into town during peak hour (by mistake) and manged to get back out alive.
I am much happier on roads that I know which is why I went out to my mates on Monday. Driven that road plenty of times and know all the extra tight corners and the ones that lean the wrong way. Thought that would be the best to learn on considering I know exactly how fast I can get around the corners in my car...

I think you would be dragging your bike along the road before you got lent far enough over to get your knee down... But there is bound to be someone who has tried on a cruiser

ducatilover
1st November 2012, 13:25
I think you would be dragging your bike along the road before you got lent far enough over to get your knee down... But there is bound to be someone who has tried on a cruiser

Can be done :D
I got mine down on a GN a few years ago and I've seen somebody do it on a cruiser just for shits 'n giggles

Geeen
1st November 2012, 18:52

If you have a search on here you'll find a pic or two of Crasherfromwayback dragging his knee on a Harley :blink:

If you are wanting someone to ride with Im on the TA side of hams

MystikEagle
2nd November 2012, 09:22
If you are wanting someone to ride with Im on the TA side of hams

That would be great! I was thinking of going for a ride next weekend. I have fri, sat, sun off. But I might be going out to my mates for a hunt instead, not sure yet...

Drew
2nd November 2012, 17:29
mates for a hunt instead:lol::2thumbsup:killingme Is that what you crazy kids are calling it these days.

Geeen
2nd November 2012, 19:05
That would be great! I was thinking of going for a ride next weekend. I have fri, sat, sun off. But I might be going out to my mates for a hunt instead, not sure yet...

Keen for a cruise out to Rags for a coffee

ducatilover
2nd November 2012, 21:09
:lol::2thumbsup:killingme Is that what you crazy kids are calling it these days.

Makes sense, I always get moar pig with a gun

MystikEagle
4th November 2012, 09:18
Keen for a cruise out to Rags for a coffee

Coolies :) PM your number and I will text you when I know whats happening :niceone:

scumdog
4th November 2012, 10:00

(Hopefully that worked...)[/SIZE]

Nice 1st bike, ideal for somebody getting into road riding after doing off-road riding

And a Garth Brooks fan are you?

MystikEagle
4th November 2012, 20:43
Nice 1st bike, ideal for somebody getting into road riding after doing off-road riding

And a Garth Brooks fan are you?

No one seems to have anything bad to say about them and I just love riding it so much. It will be great for me to learn on and I think it will be simple enough for me to learn how to service etc...

Garth Brooks, Rascall Flats, Brad Paisley, Tim McGraw... The list goes on. I love country but listen to The Rock due to lack of a country radio station in NZ. I have a very wide taste in music :yes:

chasio
5th November 2012, 09:39
Thanks heaps guys! I was half expecting a lecture over the whole "in the wrong lane" thing...

Had an awesome ride out to my mates place in the country yesterday. Nice, quiet, twisting, hilly roads. Bugger all traffic (I think I met two cars). The sun was shinning and there was almost no wind. I seriously enjoyed myself and am getting much more confident with my turns. A little more interesting riding home today as the wind was much stronger. (It took me just over an hour to get there, one and a half to get home). It is a pretty amazing feeling riding this bike. It turns so easily, just lean it into the corner and round it goes. And I feel so safe and stable on it.

I am starting to wonder why it has taken me so long to get a bike in the first place :scratch:

So now I just need to get some more practice in towns and then I should be fine to book in for my restricted! :banana:

Well done on getting home safe and sound and enjoying your ride. Brings back memories of when I started riding :)

Now, about this wind. Thinking back, did the wind put you on the other side of the road, or was it more your reaction to the wind? I'd bet a couple of bucks that it was more to do with the latter.

Did your arms involuntarily stiffen up, for example? A bike like yours should track remarkably well in quite a strong cross-wind if you can keep your arms relaxed. Also, did you brake at all? You probably already know what the effect of front or rear braking will have in a corner.

But the best advice I have seen in this thread is to do the riding skills course as soon as you can. It will be absolutely the best money you ever spend on motorcycling.

Keep on enjoying your riding :Punk:

arcane12
5th November 2012, 10:13
Next weekend (10th, 11th Nov) is looking fan-freaking-tastic in an d around the 'tron. A bit early to making a call, but fingers crossed. Are you following the Laxed Out Riders thread? They do group rides, might be worth a look in. Of course that would mean heading into town for a ride out of town.

Well either with them or not, I think I will be headed out for a ride that weekend. I will just have to make sure I can do whatever it is in nice small 100km hops! The good thing about living in the Waikato is it's not too far to get to yet another good place... a good excuse to get out on the bike!

MystikEagle
11th November 2012, 18:13
A bit of an update on how things are going with the bike...

Went for my first group ride yesterday. Went to Raglan for a coffee with some people from the LOR group, I enjoyed myself alot and got a bit of feedback on my riding which was very helpfull.

So, I had been getting sore wrists and loosing feeling in my hands. I adjusted the position of my levers, had another approx 2 hour ride and had only slightly sore wrists. Now that I have the lever angles better, I just need to concentrate on being more relaxed,especially through the corners.

Speaking of, my cornering is getting better. I am still slow but feeling much more confident. I think that once I understand turning lines better (thanks to the twist of the wrist books), as well as throttle and brake control, confidence and speed will slowly increase.

So now I need to study the manual for my bike and work out how to get my rev counter working again...

arcane12
12th November 2012, 06:49
That was a fun run over to Raglan, even with a bit of gravel thrown in! It was great to meet a whole bunch of people from on here.

Taking it carefully is a great way to learn your bike and get it all sorted out. And if you haven't been on the road before (I had not been that way to Raglan before, via Huntly, who knew?) it's good to take it slow - not all corners marked 45 are the same!

A few of us popped over to Kawhai on Sunday. My goodness the twisties! The sign I saw after 20 mins of bends that said "series of curves ahead next 11 km's" :sweatdrop

Turned out it was an epic road, well worth another go sometime soon! :Punk:

Maha
12th November 2012, 10:25
That was a fun run over to Raglan, even with a bit of gravel thrown in! It was great to meet a whole bunch of people from on here.

Taking it carefully is a great way to learn your bike and get it all sorted out. And if you haven't been on the road before (I had not been that way to Raglan before, via Huntly, who knew?) it's good to take it slow - not all corners marked 45 are the same!

A few of us popped over to Kawhai on Sunday. My goodness the twisties! The sign I saw after 20 mins of bends that said "series of curves ahead next 11 km's" :sweatdrop

Turned out it was an epic road, well worth another go sometime soon! :Punk:

That is a good road into Kawhia...that first view when you finally get to see the water way in the distance?....:rockon:

BigAl
12th November 2012, 10:47
A bit of an update on how things are going with the bike...

Went for my first group ride yesterday. Went to Raglan for a coffee with some people from the LOR group, I enjoyed myself alot and got a bit of feedback on my riding which was very helpfull.

So, I had been getting sore wrists and loosing feeling in my hands. I adjusted the position of my levers, had another approx 2 hour ride and had only slightly sore wrists. Now that I have the lever angles better, I just need to concentrate on being more relaxed,especially through the corners.

Speaking of, my cornering is getting better. I am still slow but feeling much more confident. I think that once I understand turning lines better (thanks to the twist of the wrist books), as well as throttle and brake control, confidence and speed will slowly increase.

So now I need to study the manual for my bike and work out how to get my rev counter working again...

Yeah good to meet you ME, as for your rev counter problem have a look here http://www.gs500e.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9003

MystikEagle
12th November 2012, 13:16
Yeah good to meet you ME, as for your rev counter problem have a look here http://www.gs500e.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9003

Thanks for that! Great site. Will definately have to go explore after work...

Sounds like my next day trip might have to be to Kawhia then aye...?

arcane12
13th November 2012, 07:27

Without a doubt! Once the weather clears a bit...

If you want a bit of a spoiler/teaser google maps this: 3242 Kawhia Road, Hauturu, Waikato, New Zealand

MystikEagle
14th November 2012, 07:59
Yay!!!

Boss gave me the day off so I am all booked in for the Pro Rider course in Taupo next sunday!!! :woohoo:

Hopefully I can get my rev counter all fixed before then...

Geeen
14th November 2012, 11:15
Awesome! I shall see you there

Not sent from an iDevice

Maha
14th November 2012, 11:45
Without a doubt! Once the weather clears a bit...

If you want a bit of a spoiler/teaser google maps this: 3242 Kawhia Road, Hauturu, Waikato, New Zealand

Yip, that is what I weas talking about earlier...:yes:
Thats right by that rest area eh?
This is what greeted us when we arrived late afternoon.

ckai
14th November 2012, 14:23
Yay!!!

Boss gave me the day off so I am all booked in for the Pro Rider course in Taupo next sunday!!! :woohoo:

Hopefully I can get my rev counter all fixed before then...

Awesome! I shall see you there

Not sent from an iDevice

Will see both of ya there then :) I'll be the one sitting on the sideline watching my bike go round without me. It was about time wifey took Sonic II out on the track and see what all the hoohaa is about :scooter:

ckai
14th November 2012, 14:24
Yip, that is what I weas talking about earlier...:yes:
Thats right by that rest area eh?
This is what greeted us when we arrived late afternoon.

That habour always looks cool when it's glass and has some cool sun effects going on.

Maha
14th November 2012, 14:27
Beautiful spot, grab a bag of Fish and Chips/sit on the grass and enjoy.

GrayWolf
14th November 2012, 14:31

Make sense?

Just a thought/question..... If you take the test, will the examiner 'ping' you for being in gear while stationary? (UK) full test you were exepcected to put the bike in neutral, then do the 'foot dance' to put it in gear ready to move. IF you could be pinged? best not to get into a bad habit from the get go.... but yeh it's more 'practical' doing it the wrong way :wacko:

GrayWolf
14th November 2012, 15:11

Reading your posts, really takes a lot of us back I guess.... many ways still do look for an excuse to ride all these years later....
I love reading the enthusiasm and your thoughts on events, occurrences. I dont know the Kawhia rd, but if as described it's an 'EPIC' road with masses of bends.... my suggestion would be.. dont tackle it yet.
2 main reasons.. and if I am called a 'nana' for it... bite me!!!

1) you are still by your own admission learning lines and cornering technique, enjoyable as it might be, you may also start to develop some 'bad habits' especially if you are following other riders. Sad but true most of us have bad habits we dont realise. There are several techniques you can and should/do employ riding a series of bends.... apex, vanishing point, line of sight through the bends, etc etc.... you can/could end up losing focus after a while and start to get a bit 'ragged' as you flow through them. You dont sound like a 'Rossi wannabe' and I do know there are people who can 'ride the arse of their bikes' and do it safely and using good technique. Others are just 'point and squirt' to a bend, anchor up like crazy, tip it in, then scream off towards the next corner :facepalm: ........ Or you can use the 'touring' style.... flowing through the bends, with not a lot of braking, letting the motor do the work for you. This requires more thought than 'point and squirt', but maybe less than taking and using race lines/technique. get your cornering skills to a reasonable level before tackling an 'epic' ride.... OR go with a Mentor/instructor/rider who is regarded as a competent rider by older experienced riders (not one who is regarded as 'good' because he can pull epic wheelies, burnouts, drag race starts and hasnt yet realised that a throttle has more than 2 positions (tick over and redline). <---- Who mentioned Drew?? :corn:

2) As mentioned above your level of concentration requirement is very high, and mental fatigue is a 'killer' for a new rider.....
I have mentioned Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's theory of 'Flow' in a post long time ago... basically it is a theory of arousal Vs anxiety

Very basic breakdown
High challenge against skill level..= anxiety
Low challenge against skill level .. -= boredom
equal challenge to skill ..= flow....
Flow is the state of engagement where the activity becomes 'timeless' and suddenly several hours can have passed, such is the enjoyment or state of 'arousal'. At your present level, most of your cognitive effort is being spent of the actual TASK or if you like, acquiring the Mastery of the task. Like walking or running, as a toddler? it took effort to balance and stand, now your cerebellum has it so strongly imprinted you dont even think about it if you want to run. You may be able to ride a bike, but already you've realised the farm isnt the same as the road. That Epic ride isnt going anywhere soon, get your skills up to a point you are not 'thinking' about what you're doing.. then go and enjoy the 'feeling of flow' when you come out of a series or miles of bends and have a shit eating grin on your face.

Geeen
14th November 2012, 17:17
Will see both of ya there then :) I'll be the one sitting on the sideline watching my bike go round without me. It was about time wifey took Sonic II out on the track and see what all the hoohaa is about :scooter:

Hamilton M/C centre has a ride going down if you want to "warm the bike up" like a considerate husband.....

ckai
14th November 2012, 18:44
Hamilton M/C centre has a ride going down if you want to "warm the bike up" like a considerate husband.....

haha, na we're gonna trailer it down. I'm tossing up whether I throw on Mum's new bike as well so Brooke can see what that's like around a track. It still might be a bit fresh for that though.

Should be a good day to sort things out for everyone though. My first coaching session was on Taupo. Found memories of blasting around a Hyosung :) I learnt heaps. All new riders need to do these courses.

Captain_Salty
16th November 2012, 20:53
this guy has some useful vids http://www.youtube.com/user/BaltimoreGS?feature=watch

MystikEagle
17th November 2012, 18:56
Reading your posts, really takes a lot of us back I guess.... many ways still do look for an excuse to ride all these years later....
I love reading the enthusiasm and your thoughts on events, occurrences. I dont know the Kawhia rd, but if as described it's an 'EPIC' road with masses of bends.... my suggestion would be.. dont tackle it yet.
2 main reasons.. and if I am called a 'nana' for it... bite me!!!

1) you are still by your own admission learning lines and cornering technique, enjoyable as it might be, you may also start to develop some 'bad habits' especially if you are following other riders. Sad but true most of us have bad habits we dont realise. There are several techniques you can and should/do employ riding a series of bends.... apex, vanishing point, line of sight through the bends, etc etc.... you can/could end up losing focus after a while and start to get a bit 'ragged' as you flow through them. You dont sound like a 'Rossi wannabe' and I do know there are people who can 'ride the arse of their bikes' and do it safely and using good technique. Others are just 'point and squirt' to a bend, anchor up like crazy, tip it in, then scream off towards the next corner :facepalm: ........ Or you can use the 'touring' style.... flowing through the bends, with not a lot of braking, letting the motor do the work for you. This requires more thought than 'point and squirt', but maybe less than taking and using race lines/technique. get your cornering skills to a reasonable level before tackling an 'epic' ride.... OR go with a Mentor/instructor/rider who is regarded as a competent rider by older experienced riders (not one who is regarded as 'good' because he can pull epic wheelies, burnouts, drag race starts and hasnt yet realised that a throttle has more than 2 positions (tick over and redline). <---- Who mentioned Drew?? :corn:

2) As mentioned above your level of concentration requirement is very high, and mental fatigue is a 'killer' for a new rider.....
I have mentioned Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's theory of 'Flow' in a post long time ago... basically it is a theory of arousal Vs anxiety

Very basic breakdown
Flow is the state of engagement where the activity becomes 'timeless' and suddenly several hours can have passed, such is the enjoyment or state of 'arousal'. At your present level, most of your cognitive effort is being spent of the actual TASK or if you like, acquiring the Mastery of the task. Like walking or running, as a toddler? it took effort to balance and stand, now your cerebellum has it so strongly imprinted you dont even think about it if you want to run. You may be able to ride a bike, but already you've realised the farm isnt the same as the road. That Epic ride isnt going anywhere soon, get your skills up to a point you are not 'thinking' about what you're doing.. then go and enjoy the 'feeling of flow' when you come out of a series or miles of bends and have a shit eating grin on your face.

Thanks for that, I guess I do get a little carried away with what I think I can do sometimes. It is alot easier to sit at home and think that you can do something. You get out there and start doing it and find out the hard way that you really weren't ready.

I am doing the Pro Rider course in Taupo so that I can learn how to corner properly. That is pretty much the only reason I am going, anything else is a bonus :) I have a good feel for the corners but I know that I could be doing it alot better, not feeling that "flow" yet...

MystikEagle
17th November 2012, 19:00

Awesome! Not long to go now... :wait:

swtfa
17th November 2012, 19:58

Very basic breakdown

I too, found this helpful. Thanks GrayWolf :)

Drew
17th November 2012, 20:25
I too, found this helpful. Thanks GrayWolf :)Well there ya have it. Conclusive proof that only chicks, want to ride like Greywolf.

GrayWolf
18th November 2012, 04:04
Well there ya have it. Conclusive proof that only chicks, want to ride like Greywolf.

Compliment fully accepted, Sonny.. Now go and fetch my pipe and slippers, there's a good boy :yes::yes: