PDA

View Full Version : It's indestructable biker season again!

strandedinnz
24th October 2012, 12:15
Yay! :-(

Sorry pet hate of mine ... people riding bikes wearing a T-Shirt, no gloves and light trousers or shorts :-(

Or are the local bikers made of stuff tougher than kevlar ?

Phantom Limb
24th October 2012, 12:20
Ha !
Too right. I've been noticing more and more on the road too. This weekend I was riding about with the wife on board and she was pointing them out to me on the motorway.
RT1150 rider in slacks and tennis shoes, Harley pilot in a leather waist coat and a T-shirt, just all sorts of stupid motorvating about the streets of Dorkland.

Head to toe leather and Kevlar, I am starting to feel over dressed!

george formby
24th October 2012, 12:28
Just in time for the middle of the road, mirrorless, me, me, me drivers too.
I've already seen some mind boggling examples of "holiday driving" up here.

Be afraid, very afraid. Open your eyes & put your gear on.

steve_t
24th October 2012, 12:28
As long as the law only requires a helmet, people are free to choose. I don't like it that way since I pay a shiteload of ACC levies but at the moment, that's the way it is

Tigadee
24th October 2012, 12:57
What are these people gonna wear if hi-vis was compulsory? :scratch:

oneofsix
24th October 2012, 13:00
What are these people gonna wear if hi-vis was compulsory? :scratch:

Helmet shorts and hi-viz vest. Where's the problem? :crazy:

Need some of these type ads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=s7xOPTBaTbY

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wmufqEW7Gtw

Hitcher
24th October 2012, 13:08
Don't ignore summer biker sexism either. I am amazed at the riders one sees out with BFF, or prospective BFF, on the back wearing street clothes (including shoes and a fashion leather jacket) and a helmet that doesn't fit properly.

Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

bogan
24th October 2012, 13:10
As long as the law only requires a helmet, people are free to choose. I don't like it that way since I pay a shiteload of ACC levies but at the moment, that's the way it is

One can only hope that the lack of protective gear makes them try really really hard not to fall off.

Drew
24th October 2012, 13:39
I did the SICKEST fuckin wheelie down the motorway yesterday. Only put it down because I was getting cold. Standing up doing a wheelie, the fairing doesn't keep the wind of my bare arms.

bogan
24th October 2012, 13:41
I did the SICKEST fuckin wheelie down the motorway yesterday. Only put it down because I was getting cold. Standing up doing a wheelie, the fairing doesn't keep the wind of my bare arms.

Do they put fairings on GN125s?

Drew
24th October 2012, 13:48
Do they put fairings on GN125s?Suzuki don't, but that's only because they're not cool enough!

strandedinnz
24th October 2012, 13:50
One can only hope that the lack of protective gear makes them try really really hard not to fall off.

Actually if you crash and strip all the skin off your arms, when they do the skin graft from your arse you'll gain an excellent layer of scar tissue. That, combined with the nerve damage, means you'll never feel the cold on your arms again! A win situation!

:cool:

Drew
24th October 2012, 13:53
Actually if you crash and strip all the skin off your arms, when they do the skin graft from your arse you'll gain an excellent layer of scar tissue. That, combined with the nerve damage, means you'll never feel the cold on your arms again! A win situation!

:cool:Chicks dig scars too!

Phantom Limb
24th October 2012, 13:55
Don't ignore summer biker sexism either. I am amazed at the riders one sees out with BFF, or prospective BFF, on the back wearing street clothes (including shoes and a fashion leather jacket) and a helmet that doesn't fit properly.

Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

I wrap my wife up in her XXXS helmet, massively bulky sport touring jacket with more padding than a sumo suit, kevlar 'skid pants' and thick leather boots. She moans and caterwauls about being seen in public like that every single time we go out.
I think you'll find that for many women, looking good is more important than staying alive. :brick:

strandedinnz
24th October 2012, 14:04
I think you'll find that for many women, looking good is more important than staying alive. :brick:

Just tell her you find her looking like the Michelin Man is sexier than her looking like an extra from Resident Evil ;)

Murray
24th October 2012, 14:06
As long as they wave correctly who cares!

george formby
24th October 2012, 14:19
How pertinent. I just stepped outside to take in the invigorating sea airs and lo! A pale blue scooter just zoomed past, two people on board, a him & and a her, T's, jandals, shorts, beanies (no hemlets) and sunnies. Thing is, they did not have the headlight on.:mad:

Did I step through a hole in the space time continuum & come out in Venice?

willytheekid
24th October 2012, 14:57
:yes:
...maybe they got some amazing advice from some of the "senior" KB members on here and there mates.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/152869-Full-gear-all-the-time/page10 (READ IT!!..ALL)

becasue apparently:

a state of mind is all that is required ("If you don't fall off, the gear is irrelevant!"-Jrandom...endorsed by Maha)

...and "only nOObs wear ATGATT"

Oh then this fucking pearl:

"there's nothing quite like riding in shorts and T-shirt on a hot sunny day. Protective gear is like wearing a condom - it makes the ride more boring, and isn't necessary if you're smart enough and self-controlled enough to manage the risks in other ways"

and besides..."if you're so worried about your safety, what the fuck are you doing on a motorbike? Get a Camry!"

So there ya have it nOObs!! :facepalm:

All this amazing advice was being read by a learner rider!..who turned out to have more sense than a self proclaimed "expert"/"Hero"! ,who...after a WHOLE 10yrs riding thinks they have reached some sort amazing level of expert ridng, mental control and skill sets that can effect other road users and THERE abilities to drive and not to hit you!.

..the above thread was the last straw for me in regards to the steady decline of KB "advice" over the years, hence I have deleted everything from my account, and Im now just a "visitor" to this site after years of membership....Put simply...I am no longer a proud member of KB!

...the problem isnt just "out there"....its in here!! (And I believe it is the senior members/riders duty to act accordingly when such shit is posted....and not turn it into a joke every time...ay Drew!)

Im sorry If Ive knocked anyone off there self built Pedestal...but it had to be said

Ride safe KBers

...infact, no!..do what ya want!, cos safety is just a joke on here apparently :motu:

jim.cox
24th October 2012, 15:01

Sorry pet hate of mine ... people riding bikes wearing a T-Shirt, no gloves and light trousers or shorts :-(

Pull your head in, you blardy Safety Nazi

What they choose to wear is NONE of your business

Drew
24th October 2012, 15:13
...maybe they got some amazing advice from some of the "senior" KB members on here and there mates.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/152869-Full-gear-all-the-time/page10 (READ IT!!..ALL)

becasue apparently:

a state of mind is all that is required ("If you don't fall off, the gear is irrelevant!"-Jrandom...endorsed by Maha)

"there's nothing quite like riding in shorts and T-shirt on a hot sunny day. Protective gear is like wearing a condom - it makes the ride more boring, and isn't necessary if you're smart enough and self-controlled enough to manage the risks in other ways"

and besides..."if you're so worried about your safety, what the fuck are you doing on a motorbike? Get a Camry!"

All this amazing advice was being read by a learner rider!..who turned out to have more sense than a self proclaimed "expert"/"Hero"! ,who...after a WHOLE 10yrs riding thinks they have reached some sort amazing level of expert ridng, mental control and skill sets that can effect other road users and THERE abilities to drive and not to hit you!.

..the above thread was the last straw for me in regards to the steady decline of KB "advice" over the years, hence I have deleted everything from my account, and Im now just a "visitor" to this site after years of membership....Put simply...I am no longer a proud member of KB!

...the problem isnt just "out there"....its in here!! (And I believe it is the senior members/riders duty to act accordingly when such shit is posted....and not turn it into a joke every time...ay Drew!)

Im sorry If Ive knocked anyone off there self built Pedestal...but it had to be said

Ride safe KBers

...infact, no!..do what ya want!, cos safety is just a joke on here apparently :motu:Well, that was certainly a piss poorly written rant.

I am an advocate of riders LEARNING TO FUCKING RIDE! I'm sick of the sanctimonious pricks thinking that because they wear all the gear all the time, they have the moral high ground.

You do NOT. The biggest thing hurting riders, is THEMSELVES.

Do you fucking get it? Can you fathom that the gear will not save you when a fucking truck runs you over? Fuck, it wont even promise an open casket at your funeral, that three hundred bikers will show up to, even though only four of them knew you.

That serious enough for you cunt? Ya get that I make light of it all, because preaching on here to noobs, is going to achieve nothing at fucking all?

Fuck all people listen, and those that do have sense enough to spot the bulshit anyway.

To sum up, eat my shit and die fucker. Place is better without the likes of you anyway.

strandedinnz
24th October 2012, 15:15
Pull your head in, you blardy Safety Nazi

What they choose to wear is NONE of your business

Hmmm ... witty!

strandedinnz
24th October 2012, 15:24
Looks like my grumble about a pet peev is going to be turned into a big slagging match .. sorry about that!

I just wanted to voice my opinion that I don't think it's a great idea to not wear decent gear when on a motorbike, cause it's not a case of "if" you fall off, but of "when" you fall off :-(
An extra layer just means the road has to grind it's way through that before it gets to your skin ... seems a no brainer concept to me!

Drew
24th October 2012, 15:28
seems a no brainer concept to me!Funny thing, that's as much thought as goes into how to actually ride by most kiwi bikers.

You posted it on here, because you wanted to have a circle of people bitching the same shit as thousands before, without having to give it thought.

"I've said something popular, come give me a reach around while I do up me back protector". Pussies!

bogan
24th October 2012, 15:29

becasue apparently:

Ride safe KBers

...infact, no!..do what ya want!, cos safety is just a joke on here apparently :motu:

Their advice has certainly swung a bit far in the other direction. But somebody has to stand up and say that riding style is far more important than what gear you are riding.
Its like one of my favourite sayings:

"A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer"

which roughly translates to, you are the best person to engineer out the risk; not the vehicle, not your gear, your own riding skills is the most important thing keeping you safe.

bogan
24th October 2012, 15:30
cause it's not a case of "if" you fall off, but of "when" you fall off :-(

:confused: fuck if that's the attitude of ATGATT'rs I'll hang out with the scantily clad bikers thanks.

Drew
24th October 2012, 15:34
:confused: fuck if that's the attitude of ATGATT'rs I'll hang out with the scantily clad bikers thanks.Another funny thing. It was once that got said in the other thread, that led to the statement. "If you think you cannot escape crashing, go by a camry"!

Swoop
24th October 2012, 15:34
...cause it's not a case of "if" you fall off, but of "when" you fall off.
Not true. There are a few of us around here to attest to the fallacy of that statement.

ACC will cover the costs of those who choose to meet the minimum requirements under our laws (helmet only). If and when they decide that there are "levels" of acc coverage (like the cc ratings of bikes) that could apply to protective clothing worn, then there is a reason to comment.

Having returned from Thailand where helmets are compulsory but not enforced, and scooters rule the roads, the necessary evils of protective clothing are commensurate to the environment.

So long as a rider has a helmet to comply with the law, and should be wearing a hi-viz vest, then they are perfectly safe... We ALL know that hi-vis makes you perfectly safe!

strandedinnz
24th October 2012, 15:45
:confused: fuck if that's the attitude of ATGATT'rs I'll hang out with the scantily clad bikers thanks.

Wow! Until now I did not even realise there were different classes of riders! I thought person on "bike == biker"

You live and learn something new every day.

nodrog
24th October 2012, 15:47

becasue apparently:

Ride safe KBers

You still owe me a root!

Drew
24th October 2012, 15:48
Wow! Until now I did not even realise there were different classes of riders! I thought person on "bike == biker"

One "class", not enough students!

bogan
24th October 2012, 15:49

Considering you started the thread with the different 'indestructible' class of bikers in the title, I'm kind of surprised you hadn't realised this already...

Anyway, regardless of the gear you do choose to wear, its always a good idea to get a friend to make sure it is on properly.

http://cdn2.holytaco.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2009/10/Bikini%20Bike%20wash%20MC%20City%207-03%20(10).JPG

Glowerss
24th October 2012, 16:02
If im just going down to the supermarket or somewhere local, I'll only throw my helmet on, and maybe my jacket. Because, quite frankly, if I can't get 1-2ks down the road on a 50kph residential street and back without falling off, I deserve all the shit that comes my way. S'how I look at it anyway.

Phantom Limb
24th October 2012, 16:04
Looks like my grumble about a pet peev is going to be turned into a big slagging match .. sorry about that!

I just wanted to voice my opinion that I don't think it's a great idea to not wear decent gear when on a motorbike, cause it's not a case of "if" you fall off, but of "when" you fall off :-(
An extra layer just means the road has to grind it's way through that before it gets to your skin ... seems a no brainer concept to me!

Mate, every second thread on KB is a slagging match!
Just choose which posts to agree with and which ones to ignore, but choose carefully. Following the wrong prick's advice on here is likely to get you messed up bad!

The most experienced and talented riders I know and respect always wear their gear, that to me says more than a blow hard trying to sound tough on a forum. :2thumbsup

Drew
24th October 2012, 16:15
Following the advice on here is likely to get you messed up bad!

Fixed that for ya.

The most experienced and talented riders I know and respect always wear their gear, that to me says more than a blow hard trying to sound tough on a forum. :2thumbsupEasy comment to make without qualifying it at all.

Bet I know more fuckin useless cunts, who wear all the gear all the time.

HenryDorsetCase
24th October 2012, 16:19
How do you get the job of boobie holder-upper? what qualificatons are requred? Is it OK to do it with an erection (its small, though, does that matter?)

are there more photos in that series?

because, you know, boobs!

Brett
24th October 2012, 16:19
Yo yo yo

It's t-shirt and jeans wheelie time y'all!

willytheekid
24th October 2012, 16:33
Well, that was certainly a piss poorly written rant.

I am an advocate of riders LEARNING TO FUCKING RIDE! I'm sick of the sanctimonious pricks thinking that because they wear all the gear all the time, they have the moral high ground.

You do NOT. The biggest thing hurting riders, is THEMSELVES.

Do you fucking get it? Can you fathom that the gear will not save you when a fucking truck runs you over? Fuck, it wont even promise an open casket at your funeral, that three hundred bikers will show up to, even though only four of them knew you.

That serious enough for you cunt? Ya get that I make light of it all, because preaching on here to noobs, is going to achieve nothing at fucking all?

Fuck all people listen, and those that do have sense enough to spot the bulshit anyway.

To sum up, eat my shit and die fucker. Place is better without the likes of you anyway.

You Angry bro?

I too am a firm believer in Riders learning to ride! (helps quiet a bit...so I have heard,hence why I have done multiple rider & race training course's)

And I also agree that gear won't save your arse in a big off(It may! tho)...and it sure does reduce the injuries of low speed crashes etc.

And it has nothing to do with "moral high ground", and every thing to do with reducing the risk and using common sense.

Your quite right in regards to the biggest risk to riders is...themselves!...there lack of skill, experience and the fatal belief that they are better than most and there own actual skills, and just a mind set will see them right.

And as for adding your name to that post...it was because you are usually the "mouth" of reason and common sense on here...usually very quick to spot the obvious idiot post and attack with the colorful language and tack of a drunk angry Irish sailor!, as was displayed in this post!:lol: (So I was surprised to see you shy away from that one and make a joke of it)

As for the open casket...mate, in 30yrs of riding Ive buried 7 mates due to riding stupidity...and had the horror of "trying" to hold one of my mates brains inside his crushed helmet while searching for some kind of life...so yes...I certainly DO get it...and seen it...and learn't from it!

Ive also learn't the hard way and crashed with no gear on (18 and bullet proof...turned out I wasn't)...the skin graft's and months of rehab is definitely the worst way to learn the ATGATT rule...hence my attitude towards pointing learners in the right direction.

Oh...and Im not leaving!...just distancing myself and trying not to be so involved in the shit....speaking of which...thanks...but no thanks, my dog eats shit...not me, and I have no intention of dying any time soon....I still owe Nodrog a root! :love:

ps: "Fuck all people listen, and those that do have sense enough to spot the bulshit anyway"...very true...can young learner riders looking for advice on here spot this??

HenryDorsetCase
24th October 2012, 16:41

You need to chill, dude. Look at post 31 in this thread. This one chick is fondling the tits of another. I think thats something we can all get behind.

Berries
24th October 2012, 17:00
I just wanted to voice my opinion that I don't think it's a great idea to not wear decent gear when on a motorbike, cause it's not a case of "if" you fall off, but of "when" you fall off :-
Why would you even consider riding a motorbike if it is your expectation that you are going fall off? It makes no sense whatsoever.

strandedinnz
24th October 2012, 17:00
Considering you started the thread with the different 'indestructible' class of bikers in the title, I'm kind of surprised you hadn't realised this already...

That was a jab at people I consider stupid! ... honestly didn't realise there are people who think they don't need to wear gear! :(

Drew
24th October 2012, 17:18
You Angry bro?

I too am a firm believer in Riders learning to ride! (helps quiet a bit...so I have heard,hence why I have done multiple rider & race training course's)

And I also agree that gear won't save your arse in a big off(It may! tho)...and it sure does reduce the injuries of low speed crashes etc.

And it has nothing to do with "moral high ground", and every thing to do with reducing the risk and using common sense.

Your quite right in regards to the biggest risk to riders is...themselves!...there lack of skill, experience and the fatal belief that they are better than most and there own actual skills, and just a mind set will see them right.

And as for adding your name to that post...it was because you are usually the "mouth" of reason and common sense on here...usually very quick to spot the obvious idiot post and attack with the colorful language and tack of a drunk angry Irish sailor!, as was displayed in this post!:lol: (So I was surprised to see you shy away from that one and make a joke of it)

As for the open casket...mate, in 30yrs of riding Ive buried 7 mates due to riding stupidity...and had the horror of "trying" to hold one of my mates brains inside his crushed helmet while searching for some kind of life...so yes...I certainly DO get it...and seen it...and learn't from it!

Ive also learn't the hard way and crashed with no gear on (18 and bullet proof...turned out I wasn't)...the skin graft's and months of rehab is definitely the worst way to learn the ATGATT rule...hence my attitude towards pointing learners in the right direction.

Oh...and Im not leaving!...just distancing myself and trying not to be so involved in the shit....speaking of which...thanks...but no thanks, my dog eats shit...not me, and I have no intention of dying any time soon....I still owe Nodrog a root! :love:

ps: "Fuck all people listen, and those that do have sense enough to spot the bulshit anyway"...very true...can young learner riders looking for advice on here spot this??

You need to chill, dude. Look at post 31 in this thread. This one chick is fondling the tits of another. I think thats something we can all get behind.Yeah, bad day.

Prolly took it too far, the underlying message I stand behind though.

mossy1200
24th October 2012, 17:23
The tarded dork that rides his blue R1 on the hutt motorway at 250+kph at around 5pm needs two sets of leathers. No make that shorts and scuffs.
Your wheelies and slash cut pipe gets you noticed plus your bike runs like poos.:tugger:

bogan
24th October 2012, 17:31
That was a jab at people I consider stupid! ... honestly didn't realise there are people who think they don't need to wear gear! :(

Speaking of which, Berries makes a good point; I can see why you'd consider gear to be a necessity with that attitude, but I think such an attitude is a bit shark on whisky.

Why would you even consider riding a motorbike if it is your expectation that you are going fall off? It makes no sense whatsoever.

James Deuce
24th October 2012, 17:57
Do we really need another thread lecturing people about what they should and shouldn't do? That's called religion and that particular ideology is vastly more deadly than motorcycling.

If someone nods or waves, wave back. Or nod. Or do the official KB wave (ask your local mental, sorry "Mentor", to demonstrate).

No one responds well to being told they're doing it all wrong. They usually respond well to someone being friendly and non-judgmental. Everyone dies, and some do it on a bike. It's shitty, but it happens. Not one of those dead people was saved by their gear. None of them. If it's your time, it's your time, you can be in head to toe Alpinestars or Jandals and shorts and if you die, you're just as dead in the Alpinestars stuff.

You can cartwheel down a steep bank in a borrowed helmet, Tennis shorts, a wife beater and plimsols and just get a grass stain on one knee. Even after the DT125 hits you 8 times as it cartwheels with you.

Or you can fail at an avoidance technique at 75 km/hr wearing all the gear and fracture you skull, rupture an ear-drum, break 10 ribs, lacerate your liver, bruise a kidney, and destroy all the soft tissue and cartilage in one ankle and then spend the next 3 months sitting in a chair learning to read and write again.

In the meantime, get on your bike, ride it, have fun doing it. And do your best to restrain yourself from making anyone else's day shitty by loudly telling them to their face, or in an Internet forum that they're a fuckwit. That's not biker behaviour, that's someone's harridan MUM being a pain in the arse!

MIXONE
24th October 2012, 18:31
The tarded dork that rides his blue R1 on the hutt motorway at 250+kph at around 5pm needs two sets of leathers. No make that shorts and scuffs.
Your wheelies and slash cut pipe gets you noticed plus your bike runs like poos.:tugger:

I know what you mean.The fucker wouldn't get out of my way when I caught up to him while lane splitting.:mad:

mossy1200
24th October 2012, 18:36
I know what you mean.The fucker wouldn't get out of my way when I caught up to him while lane splitting.:mad:

Do me a favour and pull his brake level on as you pass him.
My bike wont keep up with him so I cant do it.

Captain_Salty
24th October 2012, 18:54
Saw a schoolboy in uniform in halswell this arvo on a ninja 250. Bare knees on a sport bike just don't look right

Berries
24th October 2012, 18:56
I can think of a Jimmy Savile joke there, but probably not the right thread.

cleverchap
24th October 2012, 19:03
I dont see the problem...... something to look at after all :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLNrM3uEsRk
:nya:

willytheekid
24th October 2012, 19:40
...the underlying message I stand behind though.

As Do I mate:yes:

...AND chicks fondling each others tits! :eek: (thanks henry!:niceone:)

FJRider
24th October 2012, 19:43

I knew you were a pussy ... harden up. ;)

FJRider
24th October 2012, 19:44
Saw a schoolboy in uniform in halswell this arvo on a ninja 250. Bare knees on a sport bike just don't look right

Would a school GIRL in a short skirt look better ... ????????????? :rolleyes:

@ndy
24th October 2012, 19:49

I'm gonna say yes :devil2:

FJRider
24th October 2012, 19:51
I'm gonna say yes :devil2:

I'm waiting for replies from honda riders ... ;)

bogan
24th October 2012, 19:51

Many moons ago I saw one of them, stirred something between my legs it did; unfortunately it was my VT overbalancing and having a lie down on the caltex forecourt :oi-grr:

Road kill
25th October 2012, 22:22
I've worn a Tee shirt,Jeans,and open face on an off for the last 35 years riding when I feel like it.

I pay my own ACC and I'm not one of the sport bike riders that have fucked it for everybody else with their 200k crap,I ride because I enjoy it,I do what ever I like "within the law,,,and all the cotten wrapped soft cocks in the world won't change that.

Bet most of you lot wouldn't let your kids play in the dirt either,,,what a fucking sad world you've all made it.

But not to worry,you can all come to KB an bitch about other people being to PC for "your" liking:lol:.

Berries
25th October 2012, 23:29
Or bitch about the type of bike they ride, which has fuck all to do with ACC.

Drew
26th October 2012, 05:30
I've worn a Tee shirt,Jeans,and open face on an off for the last 35 years riding when I feel like it.

I pay my own ACC and I'm not one of the sport bike riders that have fucked it for everybody else with their 200k crap,I ride because I enjoy it,I do what ever I like "within the law,,,and all the cotten wrapped soft cocks in the world won't change that.

Bet most of you lot wouldn't let your kids play in the dirt either,,,what a fucking sad world you've all made it.

But not to worry,you can all come to KB an bitch about other people being to PC for "your" liking:lol:.I pay my own ACC too, but I am one of the sports bike riders fucking it for the rest of you.

Such my balls, I don't care about you.

Maha
26th October 2012, 06:36
I pay my own ACC too, but I am one of the sports bike riders fucking it for the rest of you.

Such my balls, I don't care about you.

Now if you had ended that with..

Love always...Drew XX

One would totally believe that you write greeting cards for a card company.

unstuck
26th October 2012, 06:44
Riding a bike naked is a hoot, until your nut gets caught between the seat and the tank.:weep:

Phantom Limb
26th October 2012, 07:33
I get a giggle going when the "I'm tougher than you because I don't wear gear" types show up.

I would be seriously surprised if those who are against wearing their gear have ever tasted the icy bite of the tarmac. Once you know that pain, you'll be covering up like the rest I'm sure. That is unless you've a chemical imbalance in the grey matter, or none at all :crazy:

bogan
26th October 2012, 07:39

Somehow I don't think it the 'cotton wrapped soft cocks' would want you to ride outside the law anyway :confused: A 200k (I assume you mean kmh) crap would be something to see, that shit would go everywhere; it would certainly teach those 'cotton wrapped soft cocks' who disobey the 2 second rule a thing or two.

GTRMAN
26th October 2012, 08:41
It's true, what we choose to wear when riding is entirely a personal choice, and like all personal choices we are responsible for the consequences of that choice.

My thoughts are that it comes down to the perceived or actual risk of the situation. An example is a roller coaster, lots of people really enjoy them, the adrenalin and the g-forces make for a fun ride. In that situation the perceived risk is high so you get that 'on the edge' excitement, but the actual risk is extremely low. When we are on a motorcycle the same thing is true, except that the perceived risk can be lower (I'm safe, I know what I am doing, I've never had an accident...) and the actual risk is extremely high (when things go wrong they tend to go VERY wrong).

In my mind wearing the right gear mitigates the actual risk just a little, will is stop you from getting hurt when or if the need to use it arises? Well, no it won't. Will it reduce the amount or severity of said damage? Yes, and even if just a little then that makes it worthwhile in my book.

Back to the issue of personal choice, the real kicker is that we are never the only ones affected by those choices, if you have children would you care not a bit that you may remove or compromise your ability to parent that child due to your choice to wear or not wear some safety gear? Low blow maybe and I have a mental picture of Maud Flanders crying 'won't someone please think of the children'

Here's a thought, maybe what you wear or don't wear when riding isn't the issue, maybe the way you ride or don't ride isn't the issue, maybe whether you wave to bikes, trikes, cars, trucks or llamas isn't the issue. Maybe it is the paradigm behind it all that is the issue. Not what you think or how you think or behave, but why you think or behave that way.

As you were.

Drew
26th October 2012, 09:24
I get a giggle going when the "I'm tougher than you because I don't wear gear" types show up.

I would be seriously surprised if those who are against wearing their gear have ever tasted the icy bite of the tarmac. Once you know that pain, you'll be covering up like the rest I'm sure. That is unless you've a chemical imbalance in the grey matter, or none at all :crazy:If what you've written here is anything to go by, I seriously question your ability to read.

No one has said they're too tough for the gear.

What i am saying, is that it is not a riders biggest safety device. His or her ability should be, but alas most are lacking!

duckonin
26th October 2012, 09:33

Biggest trouble in life, too many arseholes wanting to be invloved in another persons life. You take 'your' own risks let them take theirs..

And yeah yeah I know ACC and all that fucken drama ! Get on with your own life.

G4L4XY
26th October 2012, 10:39
Ohhh those ads omg ATGATT from now on, even to work shizzz

HenryDorsetCase
26th October 2012, 12:43
It's true, what we choose to wear when riding is entirely a personal choice, and like all personal choices we are responsible for the consequences of that choice.

My thoughts are that it comes down to the perceived or actual risk of the situation. An example is a roller coaster, lots of people really enjoy them, the adrenalin and the g-forces make for a fun ride. In that situation the perceived risk is high so you get that 'on the edge' excitement, but the actual risk is extremely low. When we are on a motorcycle the same thing is true, except that the perceived risk can be lower (I'm safe, I know what I am doing, I've never had an accident...) and the actual risk is extremely high (when things go wrong they tend to go VERY wrong).

In my mind wearing the right gear mitigates the actual risk just a little, will is stop you from getting hurt when or if the need to use it arises? Well, no it won't. Will it reduce the amount or severity of said damage? Yes, and even if just a little then that makes it worthwhile in my book.

Back to the issue of personal choice, the real kicker is that we are never the only ones affected by those choices, if you have children would you care not a bit that you may remove or compromise your ability to parent that child due to your choice to wear or not wear some safety gear? Low blow maybe and I have a mental picture of Maud Flanders crying 'won't someone please think of the children'

Here's a thought, maybe what you wear or don't wear when riding isn't the issue, maybe the way you ride or don't ride isn't the issue, maybe whether you wave to bikes, trikes, cars, trucks or llamas isn't the issue. Maybe it is the paradigm behind it all that is the issue. Not what you think or how you think or behave, but why you think or behave that way.

As you were.

This is very sensible stuff. I think we should stop now

GTRMAN
26th October 2012, 12:50
This is very sensible stuff. I think we should stop now

:weep: my bad.....

SPman
26th October 2012, 15:09

Hey - the missus used to ride her Suzi T20 in high heels and mini skirt! (and a .32 Automatic on her person - it was Jo'burg in the '70s......) only skin she ever lost was a face plant from a trail bike, wearing an open face helmet.......

Subike
26th October 2012, 16:40
Never had any complaints from anyone when my first wife pillioned wearing an 11 inch leather skirt, a leather g-string, thigh boots, and a leather jacket...-----adequate riding leathers? MMmmm, wonder why I was always asked to lead the pack :drool:

FJRider
26th October 2012, 16:46
... What i am saying, is that it is not a riders biggest safety device. His or her ability should be, but alas most are lacking!

The riders ability counts for nothing ... if the fucktard in the car/SUV/Truck are incapable of demonstrating their ability to control their vehicle.

Stupid people do stupid things.

A motorcyclist can be doing it right ... and still get clobbered.

The motorcyclist that feels they are being/getting paranoid when they ride ... are in the right train of thought ...

The tar seal doesn't get softer in summer ... but as for the blood stains on the tarmac .... they will disappear in the next shower of rain.

FJRider
26th October 2012, 16:48
Never had any complaints from anyone when my first wife pillioned wearing an 11 inch leather skirt, a leather g-string, thigh boots, and a leather jacket...-----adequate riding leathers? MMmmm, wonder why I was always asked to lead the pack :drool:

Was it a skirt ... or just a wide belt ... ??

Drew
26th October 2012, 17:00
The riders ability counts for nothing ... if the fucktard in the car/SUV/Truck are incapable of demonstrating their ability to control their vehicle.

Stupid people do stupid things.

A motorcyclist can be doing it right ... and still get clobbered.

The motorcyclist that feels they are being/getting paranoid when they ride ... are in the right train of thought ...

The tar seal doesn't get softer in summer ... but as for the blood stains on the tarmac .... they will disappear in the next shower of rain.
There ya go, saying shit to make me call you names again.

I cannot think of a single crash that I've had, I couldn't have avoided. Including the two cars that I got dotted by.

FJRider
26th October 2012, 17:04
There ya go, saying shit to make me call you names again.

I cannot think of a single crash that I've had, I couldn't have avoided. Including the two cars that I got dotted by.

I can't think of a single crash ... I didn't have ...

All (well most of) the crashes I've had I've lost blood.

Couldn't ... isn't ... didn't ...

Drew
26th October 2012, 17:06
I can't think of a single crash ... I didn't have ...

All (well most of) the crashes I've had I've lost blood.

Couldn't ... isn't ... didn't ...I've not lost blood in many, but the last car that I hit pulled out in front of me, and shattered my leg.

I still could have easily gotten round the front or back of the car, if I'd had my shit together.

FJRider
26th October 2012, 17:12
I've not lost blood in many, but the last car that I hit pulled out in front of me, and shattered my leg.

I still could have easily gotten round the front or back of the car, if I'd had my shit together.

So ... is "Not having your shit together" ... a lack of ability to read the situation you are in ... ???

or ... Will just lack of ability cover it ... ???

or have I got it wrong ... again ... :(

Drew
26th October 2012, 17:21
So ... is "Not having your shit together" ... a lack of ability to read the situation you are in ... ???

or ... Will just lack of ability cover it ... ???

or have I got it wrong ... again ... :(I had the ability at the time probably, but didn't apply myself.

FJRider
26th October 2012, 17:29
I had the ability at the time probably, but didn't apply myself.

Obviously .... you must try harder.

But ... it is those times when the rider is NOT "applying themselves" ... that blood is lost.

The good news is ... "applying one's self" ... Is required by law. (Without due care as I recall)

Do you need a mentor ... ???

Drew
26th October 2012, 17:31
But ... it is those times when the rider is NOT "applying themselves" ... that blood is lost.

Haha! You agree with me then!

FJRider
26th October 2012, 17:41
Haha! You agree with me then!

Of course I do ... if it suits ... maybe ;)

Nah ... much more fun to argue the point ... :killingme

If you ARE certain that you WILL "Apply yourself" on ALL your ride(s) ... and do ... the chances of (your) blood being lost ... is reduced dramatically ... :yes:

However ... none of us can. ALL the time ... on EVERY ride. Well ... I can't and I'm good ... so you can't either ... :nya:

You can't be better ... 'cause you crash too ... :lol:

Bassmatt
26th October 2012, 17:46

whoa, deep man,...deep. ;)

merv
26th October 2012, 18:03
I'm with James Deuce on this one, I'd be happy if you stopped trying to tell people what to do. Enjoy motorcycling the way you need to - it is a very individualistic pastime and it doesn't need a lot of people talking a load of cock. Me and Mrs have paid a huge share of the ACC bill through multiple bike/vehicle ownership over 40 plus years and I'd bet most of our money for motorcyclists went to those wearing the gear. It wasn't us as we have not had to claim. As you were.

Drew
26th October 2012, 18:05
I'm with James Deuce on this one, I'd be happy if you stopped trying to tell people what to do. Enjoy motorcycling the way you need to - it is a very individualistic pastime and it doesn't need a lot of people talking a load of cock. Me and Mrs have paid a huge share of the ACC bill through multiple bike/vehicle ownership over 40 plus years and I'd bet most of our money for motorcyclists went to those wearing the gear. It wasn't us as we have not had to claim. As you were.Fuck up you, the arguing is why we come here.

merv
26th October 2012, 18:08
Fuck up you, the arguing is why we come here.

... but mate I agree with you too, perhaps many need to learn to ride better and not trust their survival on their magic gear.

Drew
26th October 2012, 18:12
... but mate I agree with you too, perhaps many need to learn to ride better and not trust their survival on their magic gear.Well that sucks, the only people posting, are in agreement.

I'm off to another thread.

Unsubscribing in ....5...4....3....2....1

FJRider
26th October 2012, 18:15
Me and Mrs have paid a huge share of the ACC bill through multiple bike/vehicle ownership over 40 plus years and I'd bet most of our money for motorcyclists went to those wearing the gear. It wasn't us as we have not had to claim. As you were.

Only in recent years did the ACC levy bite in Motorcycle registration. And you aren't the ONLY multiple vehicle owner in the last 40 years. So please don't tell us how YOU paid the "ACC bil" single handed.

FJRider
26th October 2012, 18:18
Fuck up you, the arguing is why we come here.

+1 .... are there OTHER reasons ... ??? more important reasons I mean ... :whistle:

swbarnett
26th October 2012, 20:44
and the actual risk is extremely high (when things go wrong they tend to go VERY wrong).
You're confusing risk with consequence. If the risk was that high I wouldn't be riding.

Berries
26th October 2012, 20:49
None of us would be.

swbarnett
26th October 2012, 21:00
None of us would be.
Touche!

GTRMAN
26th October 2012, 21:15
You're confusing risk with consequence. If the risk was that high I wouldn't be riding.

Definition of risk
noun

a situation involving exposure to danger:

Not confused at all...

GDOBSSOR
26th October 2012, 21:18

If it's pillion in street clothes or walking home 10 ks by myself from a party at 3am, I'd get on the back.

GDOBSSOR
26th October 2012, 21:22

I would be seriously surprised if those who are against wearing their gear have ever tasted the icy bite of the tarmac. Once you know that pain, you'll be covering up like the rest I'm sure. That is unless you've a chemical imbalance in the grey matter, or none at all :crazy:

Oh they have a chemical imbalance alright. You go to Waitarere beach, you see riders riding shirtless in shorts, about half don't even bother with helmets on the beach. My ex partner's father said he felt the helmet laws were unfair 'because it violated his personal freedom'.

bogan
26th October 2012, 21:23
Definition of risk
noun

Not confused at all...

So is it the level of exposure, or the level of danger that determines the risk? That definition is ambiguous.

The likelihood of a negative outcome.

Other definitions suggest it is the exposure part that is the level of risk. So I wouldn't consider riding the bike an increased risk at all.

merv
26th October 2012, 21:44
Only in recent years did the ACC levy bite in Motorcycle registration. And you aren't the ONLY multiple vehicle owner in the last 40 years. So please don't tell us how YOU paid the "ACC bil" single handed.

What part of the word share don't you understand sonny and how did you turn that into single handed?

GSF
26th October 2012, 21:55
helmet laws were unfair 'because it violated his personal freedom'.

I love that one. Hear it in the States quite a bit too.
"If I fall off and hit my head bad enough, I wanna be free to shit in a bag, stare at a ceiling and have someone turn me in my bed every few hours for the rest of my life!"

swbarnett
26th October 2012, 22:30
Definition of risk
noun

Not confused at all...
That's a very ambiguous definition.

"Risk" is more practically defined as the likelihood of an undesireable event.

"Consequence" is defined as the severy of that undesireable event.

Hence, when planning an trip one can weigh up the risk and consequence. High likelihood of an event with minimal consequence is not worth worrying about. Similarly for an unlikely event with a large consquence.

I use this all the time when planning computer outages.

Coolz
26th October 2012, 23:17
Oh they have a chemical imbalance alright. You go to Waitarere beach, you see riders riding shirtless in shorts, about half don't even bother with helmets on the beach. My ex partner's father said he felt the helmet laws were unfair 'because it violated his personal freedom'.

Your ex's father is probably from an era when people cared about personal freedom and saw each violation as a step towards the cotton wrapped, flouro clad, homoginised world we now live in.

Riding down the beach in shorts, sheesh, some people cling to cliff faces by their fingertips while others sail mighty oceans in tiny yachts.

FuriousD
26th October 2012, 23:22

Going along symonds street today coming back from uni. no less the 6 motorcycles and who knows how many scooters wearing t-shirts. made me wish my skin was as thick as theirs!

FuriousD
26th October 2012, 23:24
Your ex's father is probably from an era when people cared about personal freedom and saw each violation as a step towards the cotton wrapped, flouro clad, homoginised world we now live in.

Riding down the beach in shorts, sheesh, some people cling to cliff faces by their fingertips while others sail mighty oceans in tiny yachts.

Yes but those people tend to wear/ equip themselves with the right stuff ie. harnesses if sailing alone/rough weather.

Subike
27th October 2012, 07:29
Yes but those people tend to wear/ equip themselves with the right stuff ie. harnesses if sailing alone/rough weather.

Well, this is a relivent argument, equipping yourself with the right gear to do the intended thing, but then I guess the argument is "what is the right gear?"
This again is subject to personal choice and risk evaluation.
What I consider the right equipment for riding my bike other than the legal minimum ( a helmet and sufficient clothing to ensure I am not exposing my genitalia to the masses) is for me to decide, I choose the risk level and enjoy my riding.

mossy1200
27th October 2012, 07:31
Its a bit like paint ball

If you have alot of gear on and you get hit its doesnt hurt as bad.

If you have shorts and t under the overalls you wont get hit as often because you know that paint balls going to sting like a muth@forka.
Only problem is if you fork it up get ready for a welt.

FJRider
27th October 2012, 08:01
What part of the word share don't you understand sonny and how did you turn that into single handed?

The ACC levy attached to any vehicles registration is NOT the vehicle owners "share" of the required funding ACC needs to provide it's service. Nor was it ever intended to be that owners "share" of that funding.

Only a self centered, egotistical, dickhead .... could believe it is.

The ACC levy is merely an obligatory Government tax ... labeled as such to justify/increase the amount .... and added to all vehicle registrations ...

The fairness of the policy has been ... and will be ... argued Ad nauseam.

Berries
27th October 2012, 10:55
Going along symonds street today coming back from uni. no less the 6 motorcycles and who knows how many scooters wearing t-shirts. made me wish my skin was as thick as theirs!
Did any of them crash?

Can't see the problem then.

Do you get as concerned about cyclists wearing lycra?

mossy1200
27th October 2012, 11:28
Did any of them crash?

No. But their gang used to have 8 members.
Jimmy and Bob grazed their knees and take the bus now.

ital916
27th October 2012, 15:25
I find the simple solution is to not care what other people do. I see another two wheeler I wave and smile politely and carry on. The beauty of freedom aye, ride around butt naked for all I care.

huff3r
27th October 2012, 19:47
Do you get as concerned about cyclists wearing lycra?

I tell ya what it freakin hurts coming off at 30 odd clicks wearing that stuff! (That was also the day I learnt to wear gloves while cycling, the road rash on my hip was nothing compared to the hole in my hand!)

Berries
27th October 2012, 21:01
I would imagine that at any speed lycra would provide no protection if you hit the deck, it is purely to stop your guts hanging out and somewhere to stick a logo. Doesn't stop people doing in excess of 70km/h on push bikes though. I wonder if cyclist forums have the same issues as KB, where some such as myself and Mr916 above really couldn't give a shit what anybody else wears while others feel the need to shake a fist and sometimes actually have words if they see someone who isn't swathed from head to toe in dead cow.

Fuck. I just got it. This whole ATGATT crap is being pushed by Federated Farmers. It all becomes clear now.

Unlike the rivers.

swbarnett
27th October 2012, 22:24
What about the free climber? What harness are they wearing?