PDA

View Full Version : At last some good news

MikeL
5th January 2004, 09:56
Record Low Holiday Road Toll
05/01/2004 09:29 AM
NewstalkZB

Speed and alcohol were still issues but there was no single factor contributing to latest Christmas-New Year holiday road toll.

Twelve people were killed during the holiday period.

The figure is a record low and is five fewer than last year's

No motorcyclists among the 12 as far as I know.

But the bad news is that the good news will be seized upon to con us into believing that the LSTA is doing something right... :confused:

Lies, damn lies and statistics!

Hitcher
5th January 2004, 10:42
NewstalkZB

Speed and alcohol were still issues but there was no single factor contributing to latest Christmas-New Year holiday road toll.

But the bad news is that the good news will be seized upon to con us into believing that the LSTA is doing something right... :confused:

Having fanged around several highways and byways over the holidays, I am increasingly disturbed by the current campaign to take all of the windy bits out of our nation's roads. Shock horror -- SH1 from Bulls to Hunterville has been sanitised. I feel like mounting a campaign to "save the Kaitokes". What purpose straightening this road out when the Rimutakas won't be straightened is a mystery to me.

But the biggest roading mystery of all is the level crossing at McKays Crossing. Why is this still there? The culvert that was built to replace the old overhead bridge at Ngaere (in Taranaki) would have been hugely more expensive than McKays for a fraction of the daily traffic volume. Traffic stopping for trains is a major reason for the tailback in both directions from McKays at holiday weekends (southbound tailback was back to Pukerua Bay the other day). Better to be on a bike than in a car, but it's still a drag. Is the McKays level crossing a Historic Places protected site or something??
:crazy:

Lou Girardin
5th January 2004, 10:47
A Police talking head on TV said they deserve a pat on the back for the low holiday toll.
No mention of the extra 58 killed over 2002, what do they get for that, a kick in the arse?
BTW. There was a big article in the Herald about a fatal near Turangi. A Pleeceman was quoted as saying the driver was doing everything right.
Question is, how did he kill his wife and hit THREE other cars, if he was doing everything right? That's Police logic for you.
A clue is the fact that this guy regularly took 13 hours Auck to Wellington. He must have been so bored he decided to end it all.
Lou

Marmoot
5th January 2004, 10:52
What we need is 2metre armco median barrier and kitty-litter gravel traps in every corner!

Oh, and electric chair for petty thieves!

wkid_one
5th January 2004, 11:03
I saw an interesting news article on Telly with a Police Rep. He even admitted that the road toll has been phenomenal - esp given the gross increase of traffic on the road since 1964 - the other time this figure was recorded.

Factor in - increased average speeds since 1964, increase km done per annum, increased car safety, improved roading (Well: in some places) - this road toll is great.

YET: He says we can do better.

This toll WAS great - other than the fact it was purely timing as the 54 extra people decided to die prior to the Xmas Road Period.

Where does the law of diminishing returns end and throwing good money after bad begin.

I would love to see a study on the benefit on road toll per dollar spent now versus other social needs. Ie: A dollar spent on 'Driver Education'/Policing etc versus: Dollar on Roading Improvement, Increased Training etc.

We are such a reactive society - we spend all our money on policing etc - but none on the front end. Here son, go buy sit your scratch ticket test, go to a card yard with a pay slip - and voila, you are have another idiot in a 4WD turbo who thinks he is Tommi Makkinen. But don't worry - coz the Police will stop him - most likely after an accident.

IMO The Police are on a hiding to nothing as THEY are the sole factor we see helping the road toll - and they are held accountable for reducing it. Therefore, with the focus on reducing the road toll - comes the increased policing.

Paying shit loads of people to police is too cost intensive. Why aren't we more focused on improving the whole LTSA infrastructure to ensure that drivers are adequately trained to be on the road.

What happens now: Kid sits scratch test, kid then has to drive with dad and pick up ALL his bad habits. Kid then sits Restricted. Kid now licensed to kill with Motor Vehicle. Where the HELL is the training in that. No one checks to make sure the Dad isn't drinking and driving every other weekend (nice EXAMPLE for the kid), suffers from Road Rage, etc etc etc etc.

I feel sorry for the Police - they are carrying the whole burden of the road toll - yet nothing is being done other than some bill boards, TV adverts etc??

I went to Deadwood Safari in the weekend in Whitemans Valley. On the way out - there was a pot hole literally 6 inches deep and 1.5 feet in diameter right on the driving line. Had I hit that at say 100kph (the speed limit) I could have very well been off the road (god forbid if I have been on a bike - don't want to think of that)?? Other one for the road toll quite possibly? The polices fault - no, Roadings Infra's fault - damn right.

marty
5th January 2004, 11:34
A Police talking head on TV said they deserve a pat on the back for the low holiday toll.
No mention of the extra 58 killed over 2002, what do they get for that, a kick in the arse?
BTW. There was a big article in the Herald about a fatal near Turangi. A Pleeceman was quoted as saying the driver was doing everything right.
Question is, how did he kill his wife and hit THREE other cars, if he was doing everything right? That's Police logic for you.
A clue is the fact that this guy regularly took 13 hours Auck to Wellington. He must have been so bored he decided to end it all.
Lou

i saw that article lou - it was well written, but you're right about the 'if he was doing everything right then how the fuck did he crash' sentiment.
maybe it's time someone actually stood up and was accountable for their actions. maybe driving to wellington in one hit taking 5 hours is the answer - not enough time to fall asleep, not to mention you'd be travelling at warp factor (if travelling from ak). i know i'd be a wreck after 13 hours in the cage with the kids. jeez i've even done 5 hrs hamilton to the ferry towing a trailer. only broke the speed limit once.

James Deuce
5th January 2004, 12:51
13 HOURS! :gob:

You'd have to be massively incompetent to take that long even with 3 half hour stops!

I've done 5 hours from Auckland Airport to Carterton in a Honda Prelude I used to own and the only place where I "pressed on" was from Vinegar Hill to Cheltenam Pub. And I had lunch at Waiouru. The rest of the time the cruise control was nailed to 108km/h, the sun roof was open, and the stereo was blastin' :)

Admittedly it was mid-week and traffic was light.

He MUST have done something wrong, surely?

wkid_one
5th January 2004, 13:14
I agree J - unless of course he was going via Coromandel.

13 hours is mighty excessive - even stopping for a good lunch. Shit - you could do Wgtn - Auckland - Wgtn in that time - and still not be travelling overly quick. It is only 660km after all.

Hitcher
5th January 2004, 15:07
13 HOURS! :gob:

You'd have to be massively incompetent to take that long even with 3 half hour stops!

I've done 5 hours from Auckland Airport to Carterton in a Honda Prelude I used to own and the only place where I "pressed on" was from Vinegar Hill to Cheltenam Pub. And I had lunch at Waiouru. The rest of the time the cruise control was nailed to 108km/h, the sun roof was open, and the stereo was blastin' :)

Admittedly it was mid-week and traffic was light.

He MUST have done something wrong, surely?
My "record" was Auckland to Masterton in five hours in an Austin Maxi. I also had a back seat experience once in a Fiat 131 Abarth from Auckland to Rotovegas in 1 and a quarter hours. My sphincter has not been the same since -- it didn't know whether to suck or blow...
:puke:

Lou Girardin
5th January 2004, 15:56
I wouldn't feel too sorry for the cops. They saw the opportunity for increased Govt funding if they brought in enough revenue and grabbed it with both hands. Until the 1980's Police Commissioners told the Govt. what they would do, since then we've had a bunch of gutless yes men that do as they're told. The results have been obvious.
The LTSA doesn't believe that proper driver training will lower the road toll. They say that it makes drivers 'overconfident'. They want them 'underconfident' and incompetent.
This is the result of 'dumbing down' society.
Lou

Big Dog
6th January 2004, 15:51
I also had a back seat experience once ..... My sphincter has not been the same since -- it didn't know whether to suck or blow...
:puke:
Interesting turn of phrase. I'm surprised no-one else has yet taken the piss :bleh:

BlueR1
6th January 2004, 16:39
Having fanged around several highways and byways over the holidays, I am increasingly disturbed by the current campaign to take all of the windy bits out of our nation's roads. Shock horror -- SH1 from Bulls to Hunterville has been sanitised. I feel like mounting a campaign to "save the Kaitokes". What purpose straightening this road out when the Rimutakas won't be straightened is a mystery to me.

But the biggest roading mystery of all is the level crossing at McKays Crossing. Why is this still there? The culvert that was built to replace the old overhead bridge at Ngaere (in Taranaki) would have been hugely more expensive than McKays for a fraction of the daily traffic volume. Traffic stopping for trains is a major reason for the tailback in both directions from McKays at holiday weekends (southbound tailback was back to Pukerua Bay the other day). Better to be on a bike than in a car, but it's still a drag. Is the McKays level crossing a Historic Places protected site or something??
:crazy:

Makes you wonder if in 100 years they will all be riding around on straight roads telling their children that the roads used to have corners! :no:

Big Dog
6th January 2004, 17:07
Makes you wonder if in 100 years they will all be riding around on straight roads telling their children that the roads used to have corners! :no:
Whats next? Removing all the intersections? :brick:

Mind you next they will spend 7billion dollars on putting corners on the northern motorway to stop us falling asleep.

That seems to be the answer at race tracks whenever speed is deemed to be a factor in a race death "throw in some corners to slow them down". And vehicle manufacturers try to tell us that they take their cues from racing.

How cool would that be :niceone:
Your neighbour gets killed coming out of his house (pit lane) so they put in a hairpin and two chicaines before the main road! :eek5:

Hitcher
6th January 2004, 17:12
And I thought I had an overactive imagination...
:calm:

Big Dog
6th January 2004, 17:37
And I thought I had an overactive imagination...
:calm:

nah my imagination is on steroids.

but seriously the logic stands. :bleh:

What?
6th January 2004, 19:16
Back to where this thread started... Wouldn't it be interesting to see the number of fatal crashes per year next to the toll stat's? Is a toll of 400 from 100 crashes worse than a toll of 300 from 250 crashes???

inlinefour
17th January 2005, 02:29
NewstalkZB

Its a start of a new trend, but I doubt it...