PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about transporting bike

Tigadee
28th October 2012, 16:10
When you want to transport the bike on the back of a Ute, must you have the bike straight ahead? Or can you position it and [successfully] tie it down at a diagonal across the back of the ute so that you can shut the rear gate/door?

Oblivion
28th October 2012, 16:25
We alway make sure that the bike is facing forward, and tie it down so the front forks are compressed. By putting it sideways, if you do happen to make a sudden stop, you'll have the full force of the bike trying to go forward, so you get all of the force on the strops or whatever you use. Giving a risk that they may snap. When you have it facing forward, all the force is through the forks just like when you stop normally if you were riding it

Having the tailgate down isn't much of a hassle when you take the time to secure it right. Which is what you should be doing in the first place

Tigadee
28th October 2012, 16:27
I see, so tailgate down is not a concern, and always facing forward.

Got it, thanks! :niceone:

FJRider
28th October 2012, 17:10
I see, so tailgate down is not a concern, and always facing forward.

Got it, thanks! :niceone:

As far as legality goes ... any dam way you want is ok ... as long as it is securely tied down.

However ... on an angle may have parts of the bike not usually subject to high degree's of wind force. Things like side covers tend to blow off.

Properly tied down ... the angle of the bike shouldn't be an issue.

Akzle
28th October 2012, 19:37
When you want to transport the bike on the back of a Ute, must you have the bike straight ahead? Or can you position it and [successfully] tie it down at a diagonal across the back of the ute so that you can shut the rear gate/door?

both.
compress teh forks.

even lain bikes down on tyres for transporting.. not my bikes and i don't know how that works with oil and whatnot.. but it's been done.

Tigadee
28th October 2012, 19:52
:eek5: I hope it was laid down on an old mattress...

nzspokes
28th October 2012, 21:12
:eek5: I hope it was laid down on an old mattress...

What have you bought now?

Tigadee
29th October 2012, 08:01
What have you bought now?

Nah, just sent off the Honda for VIN, WOF & rego. The guy put it in straight in the back of his Ute and left the tailgate down, so was wondering if that was safe...

As you were, nothing to see here. ;)

:laugh: At least you're not asking "What have you broke now?" and don't need to... Whew!