PDA

View Full Version : Advice on shipping bikes from UK to NZ

Metal Doctor
29th October 2012, 13:36
Hi all,

I need some advice about shipping my bikes from the UK to NZ.

i will ship at least 2 but my dad might send a few of his over too.

Has anyone had any expierience shipping bikes and know of a good company to use?
Also do the bikes have to be packed individually into crates and do they have to have dry fuel tanks and engines, are they packed with the wheels removed?

what sort of documentation will i have to provide?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

HenryDorsetCase
29th October 2012, 13:43
So if I buy one of those restored CB400F's from David Silver I could glom it into your container? (Its fairly unlikely, but it would be good to know...).

skippa1
29th October 2012, 14:00
Hi all,

I need some advice about shipping my bikes from the UK to NZ.

i will ship at least 2 but my dad might send a few of his over too.

Has anyone had any expierience shipping bikes and know of a good company to use?
Also do the bikes have to be packed individually into crates and do they have to have dry fuel tanks and engines, are they packed with the wheels removed?

what sort of documentation will i have to provide?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Just curious.....wht sort of bikes?

Metal Doctor
29th October 2012, 14:15
So if I buy one of those restored CB400F's from David Silver I could glom it into your container? (Its fairly unlikely, but it would be good to know...).

haha! yeah fuck it why not:killingme

Metal Doctor
29th October 2012, 14:21
Just curious.....wht sort of bikes?

a blue one, a red one, a shiney one, and probably another red one.

haha just messing! just a couple of hondas and an old beeza probably.

rastuscat
29th October 2012, 19:04
Just make sure they are converted to right hand drive.

Metal Doctor
29th October 2012, 20:07
Just make sure they are converted to right hand drive.
hahaha!
i heard you have to turn the carbs upside down so they work properly too!

admenk
30th October 2012, 18:36
I'm thinking of doing the same thing next year for my old FJ1100 chop (no rear suspension...I must be mad :mad:). I've had a "ballpark" figure quote from Taurus Logistics, and there's some info on their website here: http://www.tauruslogistics.co.nz/.

Good luck with it all, be interested to see how you get on

ac3_snow
31st October 2012, 10:17
I have never shipped anything like that overseas. However I did have an old yamaha shipped up from christchurch via mainfrieght and the requirment was that the bike be dry, no oil or fuel.
I have also heard (from experience with push bikes) that if using airfreight the tires should be deflated.
Imagine it would be fairly common to have bikes/cars brought in (I think crasherfromwayback has just had a bike shipped from the states?). Hopefully you have better luck than the guy who's classic Monaro went over the side of the Rena.

Scruffygit
31st October 2012, 17:49
I shipped the Blackbird over when I emigrated here 4 years ago.

I used Pickford who were pretty good. They picked the bike up from my home and took it to their depot where they fitted her into a custom built crate. All I had to do was drain the fuel tank and disconnect the battery. The cost was only a couple of £100 on top of the cost of shipping the rest of my effects so I have no idea how much shipping a bike (or three) on their own would be.

I had to give copies of all relevant paperwork relating to the bike to Pickfords and I also stuck a folder with extra copies on the saddle "just in case". They dealt with all the import and customs paperwork

She is a Australian model that was imported new into the UK which made my life a lot easier - she has an ADR(???) plate. The paperwork I can remember that I had to provide/get was:

Registration Document
Proof of ownership
Certificate of date of manufacture - write to the importers, in my case Honda UK.

There was some other documents that I would have had to provide if she had not been an Oz bike, a certificate of conformity being one I can remember.

Freebird on here was a HUGE help, I probably wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't for him.

Not a lot there but I hope it helps.

Zapf
23rd January 2013, 17:23
Metal Doc,
Did you end up getting your bike shipped? if so please share your experience :)

I am looking to ship mine to UK for 6 months for touring and then back this year.

Thanks