PDA

View Full Version : CBR250R 1989 as a first bike?

thrill-seeker
29th October 2012, 15:20
Thoughts on this bike?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=526155114

Seems pretty cheap for a cbr with only 20,000 kms.

Let me know what you think!

imdying
29th October 2012, 15:36
I always find it interesting when they don't even bother to wash it before taking pictures.

Glowerss
29th October 2012, 15:41
Thoughts on this bike?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=526155114

Seems pretty cheap for a cbr with only 20,000 kms.

Let me know what you think!

Sit on one first. They're fucking uncomfortable :lol: I wouldn't own one, personally. Supposibly fairly reliable, however.

ducatilover
29th October 2012, 16:03
Have it checked over properly by a reputable mechanic or savvy mate.
They're generally good bikes, biggest common problem being fuel pump failures, not hard to fix as they only run a low pressure pump
I'd be looking for what general wear/tear items need doing, brake pads I can get you for under $10 on the front
Steering bearings and wheel bearings are common to a few other Hondas
Fork seals are cheap

But, pay a lot of attention to how it runs, it's not unusual to have lots of flat spots with an aftermarket muffler if some knob doesn't know how to get it running right

thrill-seeker
29th October 2012, 16:19
They are uncomfortable bikes - I will admit. And compared to the zxr250 their suspension isn't great. But I have only heard good things about them other then that.

The trouble is I'm not in the north island, and a lot of bikes down south go for far more than this. $4,000 maybe for this bike down here?

I'd get it sent into a mechanic in Stratford of course though - they'd be able to tell me if someone has done a shoddy job on an aftermarket muffler?

mossy1200
29th October 2012, 16:28
They arnt as bad for seat as the rr version. The clipons are higher and pegs a bit further from the seat.
I think its good value as long as its going well and not bent.

thrill-seeker
29th October 2012, 16:33
This place any good reputation wise?

http://www.taranakimotorcycles.co.nz/

ducatilover
29th October 2012, 18:37
They are uncomfortable bikes - I will admit. And compared to the zxr250 their suspension isn't great. But I have only heard good things about them other then that.

The trouble is I'm not in the north island, and a lot of bikes down south go for far more than this. $4,000 maybe for this bike down here?

I'd get it sent into a mechanic in Stratford of course though - they'd be able to tell me if someone has done a shoddy job on an aftermarket muffler? Ride a decent ZXR250A and MC19 back to back, there's fuck all in it, the ZXR has slightly better bite to the brakes. I've ridden countless ZXR/CBRs and I think the CBR is the better buy as replacing fork seals is cheaper, and you can actually find fork internals. Plus there's no camchain to snap...

They arnt as bad for seat as the rr version. The clipons are higher and pegs a bit further from the seat.
I think its good value as long as its going well and not bent.
^+1

Zamiam
29th October 2012, 18:42
This place any good reputation wise?

http://www.taranakimotorcycles.co.nz/

Bought my kdx220 off them a number of years ago. Found them good to deal with. Had no issues.

Krayy
30th October 2012, 10:06
20,000 kms seems a bit low for a bike that old, particularly one that has a reputation for being a screamer, so it may be that a lot of the riding has been high-revving short jaunts which may adversely affect the level of wear and tear on the engine. Get a service history as well as a decent test ride

thrill-seeker
30th October 2012, 12:00
Well, the bike was imported in 2007 with only 5,000 kms. And the guy has only been using the bike to commute to work and back. My brother got the same bike (Same year) with only 26,000 kms - it ran fine.

imdying
30th October 2012, 12:22
Wonder how many kms it had before it left Japan. 5000? hahahahahaahahahah, sure, yeah right.

SMOKEU
30th October 2012, 12:29
I used to have one, and they're a good bike. It's an old bike now so don't expect the same low maintenance that you would get on a modern bike.

Sable
30th October 2012, 12:47
Track bike perhaps.. speedo removed

ducatilover
30th October 2012, 13:25
They are easy to wind back (Not that I'd know...) you just remove the odo, drill out a few bits and put the odo wheels where you want, or simply force them to where you want...

p.dath
30th October 2012, 13:41
I loved my CBR250RR when I had one. It was such a fun bike to ride. It was also very reliable, and never needed anything done to it.

thrill-seeker
30th October 2012, 16:46
Well according to carjam the bike hasn't been wound back, or if it has, it was in between warrants. Which anyone can do, but for being 5 years in the country that is an average of 3,000 km a year. And short high revving rides? Its plausible - but it would be plausible with any bike.

mossy1200
30th October 2012, 16:59
Well according to carjam the bike hasn't been wound back, or if it has, it was in between warrants. Which anyone can do, but for being 5 years in the country that is an average of 3,000 km a year. And short high revving rides? Its plausible - but it would be plausible with any bike.

This is the RISK with any second hand vehicle unless you know all the previous owners.
The older the vehicle the more likely that if it looks to good it may be to good to be true.
But.
I only do 3k per year in the last 2 years and most of that is 1hr plus rides its just I only get the chance every 2 or 3 weeks.
A bike owner may own 10 bikes and ride some only a few hundred km per year.

Most speedos at that time had circlip on the shaft that could be removed and numbers turned. So could be altered but also a 50k one may have been wound back also if imported.

Best bet is a compression test and ask shop to check steering head play,swingarm bushings for any signs of excess wear compaired to kms.

AlastairCampbell
30th October 2012, 22:02
Don't get it as a first bike, they're 45ish BHP and thats alot for a first bike. If you're new to riding get a smaller 125 or 150 but if you're more confident get something like a kawasaki gpx250 or a honda hornet 250. Those CBR's will fly but they're hardly appropriate learner bikes or first bikes

ducatilover
30th October 2012, 22:15
Don't get it as a first bike, they're 45ish BHP and thats alot for a first bike. If you're new to riding get a smaller 125 or 150 but if you're more confident get something like a kawasaki gpx250 or a honda hornet 250. Those CBR's will fly but they're hardly appropriate learner bikes or first bikes

They're gutless below 12krpm and they handle fairly well. If you crash one, you'll crash anything.

Glowerss
30th October 2012, 23:33

It's funny you say don't get a cbr, but then you mention getting a hornet in just your next sentence. You do know they're essentially the same motor, don't you? The Hornet is detuned to make more useable power earlier in the rev range. If anything, that makes hornet's less suitable for newbies by your logic :banana:

They're gutless below 12krpm and they handle fairly well. If you crash one, you'll crash anything.

+1 for this. You have to purposely thrash the proper 250cbrs to get any real sort of "performance" out of them. (It's a 250 it doesn't have fuckin performance!). There's no real reason to start on a 150. Particularly if you're like me and a fat cunt.

Only downside to the old cbr's is most of em are old and raped, so do your buying accordingly, and they can be uncomfortable as.

ducatilover
30th October 2012, 23:40
It's funny you say don't get a cbr, but then you mention getting a hornet in just your next sentence. You do know they're essentially the same motor, don't you? The Hornet is detuned to make more useable power earlier in the rev range. If anything, that makes hornet's less suitable for newbies by your logic :banana:

You'll also find the Hornet and CB250 Jade are almost exactly the same motor as the mid '93 built onwards CBR250RR, the CBR has a higher redline, but there's nothing in it really.

4AGE
31st October 2012, 14:49
Buy it.

I bought one as my first bike.

I'm 6ft and its not really that uncomfortable. Quick enough that your aren't bored after a week. I've taken mine to manfield and had a blast.

I have only done brake pads and the fuel pump, which was under a hundred bucks. Reliable as shit.

chinny
13th November 2012, 13:04
Buy it.

I bought one as my first bike.

I'm 6ft and its not really that uncomfortable. Quick enough that your aren't bored after a week. I've taken mine to manfield and had a blast.

I have only done brake pads and the fuel pump, which was under a hundred bucks. Reliable as shit.

Interestingly enough i rode the very bike the OP linked during the weekend.
I've only ever ridden a Honda S90 (1969 era), so that's all i've got to compare it against.
Didn't seem to have any flat-spots, but hey what would i know. Definately starts to pull when you go above ~13krpm (i only dared to go as high as 14).
Was comfortable enough to ride, but i'm about 170cm. I don't know how anyone taller could ride it long distance.
Engine stalled once at very low speed but that could have been me. The only issue i had was the oil light came on once or twice. I'm pretty sure it was during the ride, but i was too focused on staying in control so can't be sure!
The seller was a good guy. He had it checked out and serviced by a local garage once he bought it.
Felt it to be a bit 'heavy' as i had to try hard to get it to lean around the corners. By comparison the S90 tips over easy as (about 90kg dry weight i think).
I'll probably look for a smaller bike like a 150 to improve my riding 'efficiency', however will keep this as an option for now.
Last WOF sheet looked clean apart from tyres which had 2mm each left.

RITALN
23rd November 2012, 17:45
Speaking on very limited experience here but thought I would offer my 2c as a new member.

I cut my teeth learning to ride in QLD, first on a beautiful black-on-black GSX-250R (RIP) then its replacement, you guessed it, an '89 CBR250R. While I had a severe weakness for the lovingly restored, and quite different baby Gixxer, the CBR had a bit more poke and a more aggressive feel. I'm not too technical minded on bike matters so I can only comment on the expereince I had with the bike, from one learner to another.

The baby 'Blade and I romped around Surfers proper, long stretches of motorway, up and down the hills of the Hinterland, and even braved a flood or two (this was back in 2010-11), and it never let me down over the year-plus I owned her. Literally thrashing the guts off her every day on the way two and from work (6-lane highways with asshat Aussie drivers make for a "ride-or-die" experience, believe you me), the screamer 18,000k redline is a love-it-or-hate-it thing, but I certainly enjoyed the commotion.

Comfort-wise, if your looking for a sportsbike around 250cc your never going to be as comfortable as you would on, say, a Hornet, or even my Gixxer 250 for that matter (more padding), but if your like me, the idea of getting all fetus-like on top of a full-fairing sportsbike tickles your pickle, and wrist fatigue/sore arse/crampy legs are all to be expected and part of the experience. Pegs sit quite high compared to the Gixxer, and a couple other 250s I sat on, but TBH this was all cool to me- to a learner who lusted over litrebikes of the sports variety, it felt like I was living the dream :)

Reliability-wise, I will be honest here and let you know that not once did I get her serviced, and like a total freaking noob the only lube the chain saw was sprayed willy-nilly with no real idea of what I was doing. Yup, sorry to say it, I'll probably get some static over this, but its true. Did the bike ever miss a beat? Not one. Rode like a dream from the day I got her to the day I passed her on to the next owner. Even had a wee off when I lowsided in the rain crossing a bridge (crappy tyres and inclement weather cant take the blame for inexperience... still, you live and you learn- ROAD CONDITIONS), but save a few scuffs on the fairing and a popped-out indicator lens (which I found a glued back in the next day, yayuh!), she took it like a champ.

If you are wanting to learn on a sportsbike style bike, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Baby Blade. Its affordable, cheap to run, Honda-reliable, and has enough guts to excite a new rider, while being forgiving enough to keep you alive if you are smart (or lucky, like me). Yes, its going to be loud, uncomfortable at times, and a bit older (read: previously thrashed), but mine never set me wrong, and I loved every second I had on the Cibby.

But yea, what he said... sit on it first and take it for a bit of a ride before you commit. That should give you all you need to know regarding fatigue and discomfort.

Good luck matey!

Mongolian
3rd December 2012, 05:39
I also used to have an MC17, although i think mine was in much worse condition than the one pictured and had much higher k's.
Once i got a few things on it sorted it was probably the most reliable bike I have owned (have had a 96 GSXR 750, 91 RGV250 and current 04 ZX10R). and awesome fun to boot, there is nothing like the sound of a CBR 250 at redline, will make you wonder what all these people are doing on ninja's when the CBR sounds that good.

But like others have said make sure you get it checked first because parts for these old mc17's are much harder to come by and are slightly different to the 19 and the 22, I had to replace the spare plugs in mine (around $120ish i think for all 4) and also had to replace all the carb seals (another couple of hundred and a long long wait from japan) also you must make sure you turn off the fuel when not riding it as they tend to leak through the carbs and into the cylinders, had to have the mechainic drain about 7 litres of oily petrol out of mine when it wouldn't go for some reason :facepalm:

But the mc17 is a really nice model, it has the larger diameter headers and the are stainless too, also think it is missing a few other restrictions that were implented on the 19 and 22 as they have the same HP figures but the 17 has more torque from memory

=cJ=
1st January 2013, 21:53
I started riding on an MC19, it was great. Rode to Auckland and back no worries, rode to work most days, no worries.

Fuel pump died, replaced it with a 5psi Repco unit, seemed to do OK.

Only thing was, one ride on a 600 ruined it.

Power corrupts.

0li123
4th January 2013, 11:11
I reken if you ask any one who has owned one of these bikes weather or not they regret buying it they will give you one answer. NO. they are wicked fun little bikes and are reliable as shit. these bikes come into there own through the tight twisties, Ive had bigger bikes dissipaear in my rear veiws within a couple of corners. Iv also toured on my CBR, I rode 1500 km in about three days, and yes it is uncomfortable at times but its not THAT bad and if its your first bike your not going to know any different are you lol. It is defiantly a love or hate with the 18000 red line but I love it, sounds awsome. Im 6,2" and about 90kg and im happy enough to ride along all day so I would say if you want to learn how to ride a sports bike, buy it. You wont regret it.