PDA

View Full Version : Fun & Excitement over the Christmas Break

Slingshot
5th January 2004, 10:08
Well, I had a fairly eventful Christmas break. I got my first speeding ticket on the bike, 66kph in a 50 zone, the fuzz had a dude with a lazer up on the hill at Greta Point and I came around the corner only to be greeted by a whole bunch of cops. I was waved in and went through the motions. The cop was curious as to why I was carring a pillion while on my learners to which I replied...she's my wife, she aloud to ride with me, he asked for her licence as well then went to his car. About 10 minutes later he came back and gave me a ticket for the speeding ($120) but there was no further mention about the pillion or the lack of the loser plate!!! I've never been more excited about getting a speeding ticket and I must say the cop was really good!

We also went for a few rides around Welly blah blah blah.

Then the real fun came last night when a mate let me take his GSXR750 for a spin. OMG :eek5: I couldn't believe the amount of power that thing has!!! :sweatdrop It was my first time on anything bigger than 250. :niceone:
Now I can't wait to get my full licence so I can upgrade to my dream bike (VTR1000).

Hitcher
5th January 2004, 10:35
Well, I had a fairly eventful Christmas break. I got my first speeding ticket on the bike, 66kph in a 50 zone, the fuzz had a dude with a lazer up on the hill at Greta Point and I came around the corner only to be greeted by a whole bunch of cops. I was waved in and went through the motions. The cop was curious as to why I was carring a pillion while on my learners to which I replied...she's my wife, she aloud to ride with me, he asked for her licence as well then went to his car. About 10 minutes later he came back and gave me a ticket for the speeding ($120) but there was no further mention about the pillion or the lack of the loser plate!!! I've never been more excited about getting a speeding ticket and I must say the cop was really good!

We also went for a few rides around Welly blah blah blah.

Then the real fun came last night when a mate let me take his GSXR750 for a spin. OMG :eek5: I couldn't believe the amount of power that thing has!!! :sweatdrop It was my first time on anything bigger than 250. :niceone:
Now I can't wait to get my full licence so I can upgrade to my dream bike (VTR1000).
You certainly did get a good cop (apart from the speeding fine). A better strategy is to get your wife on her own bike (even better if it is the same as yours and if she has matching gear) and then ride everywhere together. The cops struggle a bit if they ping a biker for speeding and then don't know which was at fault after you've both stopped together (taking care to walk around each other's bike a couple of times). I have had personal experience with this and only a warning was exchanged (actually it was herself that was riding the fastest at the time).
:Punk:

Slingshot
5th January 2004, 10:46
She has got her own bike but I like her on the back of mine, then I can keep an eye on her :sneaky2:

Hitcher
5th January 2004, 11:49
She has got her own bike but I like her on the back of mine, then I can keep an eye on her :sneaky2:
If that's true then your mirrors work better than mine...
;)

riffer
5th January 2004, 13:16
Hi Slingshot, just curious.

Are you the black Slingshot that parks next to my Fizzer at the National Library?

Slingshot
5th January 2004, 13:28
Nope, I work down in Tory St. I've only seen one other bike the same as mine, and I'm pretty sure the rider is a woman.
Does the one that parks by you have a stepped pillion seat?

marty
5th January 2004, 13:31
i did about 700kms - over to whitianga and back towing a trailer - much of it at licence losing speeds - didn't see a single HP unit.

if anyone knows whitianga we've got the santa house on buffalo beach road. santa was a bit worse for wear on new years morning.

i came back on the 1st and had to go to work - what do I see (on the other side of the armco luckily....) - a HP unit shaking his finger at me cause he had just missed a goodie :)

i of course did the nice thing and waved back, as i warped off into the distance.

ho ho ho

marty
5th January 2004, 13:35
don't you just love the hot weather, the sticky tar, the way the bike squirrels around under you as the soft hot tar and tyres meld and seek traction.

summer - it's much better than the winter.

Slim
5th January 2004, 14:11
I did a few small rides over the break (Raglan, Te Puke, local Waikato roads) and was pleasantly surprised at how accomodating most of the traffic was. :)

A very high percentage of cars moved reasonably smartly to the left to let me pass without having to cross the centre line (and every one got a :niceone: ) except for one try-hard boy racer heading up the Kaimai's one day. He didn't even realise I was right behind him until I got pissed off when he didn't pull back into the inside lane & flashed my headlight at him. :sleep:

All in all, despite working through, a not too bad couple of weeks on the bike, but getting out of my leathers when it's hot is a right barsteward! :sweatdrop

riffer
5th January 2004, 21:14
Does the one that parks by you have a stepped pillion seat?
Nope. It's a black one, with a single seat. And a Battlax 010 with 2 inch wide chicken strips on the back :disapint:

I'll look out for you though...

Shafted
12th January 2004, 09:30
Did lots of riding over the christmas break - around about 5000km !

From Dunedin to Whitianga and round (and round and round - those coromandel roads! :niceone: ) and back

The cormandel roads seemed to be in pretty good nick all around - even the Tairua hill wasn't too cut up on the days i went over it

The Santa place at Buffalo Beach is always a treat - it is the two story seventies place next to the bridge with Santa doing something different everyday - always brings smile - cheers for that

Am waiting anxiously for the speed camera tickets to come through the mail !

Cheers

Coldkiwi
12th January 2004, 11:51
I got a few good hard rides in (1000kms?). Spoiled a bit by the overbearing heat, even at 100 it was pretty sweltering yesterday arvo. I wish the roading contractors would build the freaking roads properly as I spent a fair part of my rides picking careful lines through valleys of tar.

but really, its better than the rain!

MadDuck
12th January 2004, 19:46
It may be a dumb question but is there a signal bikers can give other bikers that there are fuzz or camera ahead and to slow down?
I must admit when driving the cage I never flick my headlights to warn other cagers but bikers tend to have more to lose because of the speeds often being done.

Or is it considered your own bad luck for speeding?

wkid_one
12th January 2004, 21:13
It may be a dumb question but is there a signal bikers can give other bikers that there are fuzz or camera ahead and to slow down?
I must admit when driving the cage I never flick my headlights to warn other cagers but bikers tend to have more to lose because of the speeds often being done.

Or is it considered your own bad luck for speeding?
I always flash my lights in a cage. If anything on a bike you have next to nothing to worry about a camera as most mobile cameras take photos from the front. It is only laser you need to worry about

What?
13th January 2004, 07:41
as most mobile cameras take photos from the front
Don't count on it! That was once the case, but no longer. I stopped and had a yarn to a camera operator once when I thought I'd been flashed for no good reason. The dude pulled up the info on his laptop, told me it wasn't me and then proceeded to give me the low-down on the new cameras which can shoot in both directions, across up to 8 lanes of traffic and a zillionth of a second apart. i.e. beware of vans on the opposite side of the road - they can get you.

Hitcher
13th January 2004, 07:57
The signal we use for "impending legal intervention" (cops, cameras, etc) is to stick your left hand with raised index finger up and twirl your hand (like a revolving roof light).
:niceone:

James Deuce
13th January 2004, 09:11
The signal we use for "impending legal intervention" (cops, cameras, etc) is to stick your left hand with raised index finger up and twirl your hand (like a revolving roof light).
:niceone:

I'll remember that one Hitcher.

If I get the finger back from someone I'll come looking for you though! :)

Jim2

Jackrat
13th January 2004, 09:28
When in the wagon I warn most other traffic of cops but with bikes I don,t really know what you would do.I don,t ride with my head light on but if I was to flash it at bikers I doubt they would catch on anyway.It would be a good idea to work out some signal,Maybe we can work on it huh.
Any ideas??

PS. Ooops see above :mellow:

Coldkiwi
13th January 2004, 11:46
glad someone else uses that whirled finger symbol too! I flash my headlights at other bikers/cagers if piggy is around. if you want to say hello, most bikers nod or wave and seem to keep headlights for warnings.