PDA

View Full Version : Where to go from here?

DaveyJones
31st October 2012, 21:17
Obviously with the end of the Victoria Motorcycle Club winter series, I've be contemplating what to move on to next.
I raced the Vic series in Streetstock on a KRR150 and managed a close 2nd place in the championship, with it being my very first season racing I thought this was a pretty damn good achievement myself.
But with a few options of bigger and faster bikes, it hard to know what to move onto next.
I've been seriously considering F3 or superlites on a 250 two-stroke or a 400. As the bikes seem to be reasonably priced and would have some good competition within the class.
What are peoples thoughts and experiences with moving up classes?

Shaun
1st November 2012, 07:24
$ Budget Davey! do a spread sheet of costs to run the different bikes, and go with what works money wise for you best to get in as many more miles as you possibly can

RobGassit
1st November 2012, 07:30
You need to get on a 250 Proddy anyway you can, beg, borrow or steal and do some National Rounds. Aaron Hassans bike is 4 sale at a good price.

Tony.OK
1st November 2012, 07:49
Yeah dont spend more than you can afford.......quickly takes the fun out of it all worrying about money!

steveyb
1st November 2012, 08:03
Normally I would reply privately, but in this case there is some info that might help others.
In your case you are very far beyond 250 Production. Getting into 250 Production for you, would be an utter waste of time and money.
250 Production is really for riders who do not race in 150 Streetstock, or are not confident in that class.
Now, with your skill level you are faster than 250 Production on your KRR150, so why would you go backwards?
The next step for you is actually quite obvious and you and I have discussed it, so you know what I am talking about.
Think also about the costs of buying and running a bike that you know nothing about, when you could be concentrating solely on racing a bike that someone knows inside out, and then working out how to extract the best out of it.
If you want to buy a bike that has an unknown history, fix it, maintain it, tune it, try and race it on your own, have one bike so when you crash it you go home, repair it, set it up etc etc then go for a Pro-Twin 650 or something similar (anything else will be outside of your current skill set).
But if you want to race, learn about racing at the next level, learn about bike set up, not worry about running the bike, have a back up bike available all the time and race either 125GP or Moto3, and have the option to progress onto a fast F3 and 600 Supersport bike within our system (we are partnering with another team), you know who to call.

This can go for a whole bunch of people. Sometimes we buy bikes because it seems that is the only way to go racing. There are other options available.

Billy
1st November 2012, 10:04
Normally I would reply privately, but in this case there is some info that might help others.
In your case you are very far beyond 250 Production. Getting into 250 Production for you, would be an utter waste of time and money.
250 Production is really for riders who do not race in 150 Streetstock, or are not confident in that class.
Now, with your skill level you are faster than 250 Production on your KRR150, so why would you go backwards?
The next step for you is actually quite obvious and you and I have discussed it, so you know what I am talking about.
Think also about the costs of buying and running a bike that you know nothing about, when you could be concentrating solely on racing a bike that someone knows inside out, and then working out how to extract the best out of it.
If you want to buy a bike that has an unknown history, fix it, maintain it, tune it, try and race it on your own, have one bike so when you crash it you go home, repair it, set it up etc etc then go for a Pro-Twin 650 or something similar (anything else will be outside of your current skill set).
But if you want to race, learn about racing at the next level, learn about bike set up, not worry about running the bike, have a back up bike available all the time and race either 125GP or Moto3, and have the option to progress onto a fast F3 and 600 Supersport bike within our system (we are partnering with another team), you know who to call.

This can go for a whole bunch of people. Sometimes we buy bikes because it seems that is the only way to go racing. There are other options available.

Not quite correct Steve,

250 Production is a stand alone NZ championship class with all the added accompanying titles such as TT and GP status,It is NOT a class for those who don't race in streetstock.

My best advice to you David would be to stick with your KRR for a little while longer and come and do the National rounds in the Development class on it,That way you will get to learn all the tracks at the best possible cost available and race against the South Islanders as well,A very different prospect to the Vic club series,I have space in the trailer for the Nationals for 1 more bike,Let me know if your interested.

Not saying Steve's wrong for when you do move up,Just think your better to learn the new tracks on a machine you already know inside and out,Also I have 1 EX250J spare and ready to race for lease if anybody is keen for the Nationals.

SWERVE
1st November 2012, 11:26
Absolutly agree with Billy. One season of streetstock racing in the VMCC series will not preper you for what development class will be or 250 production is at national rounds. Do a national campaign on one or the other first then decide if you are as far up the ladder as you think.
Racing with a multitude of similar bikes will sharpen up you rider skills and give you a better base for moving to a 125/moto3. Dont make the mistake of running before you can walk ... as many will. Yes it is tempting to make the move...especially when you see similar riders of age or younger moving into the "pro" classes. But moving to early into a much higher class will have a dramatic effect on your core "racecraft" and if not learnt early on in the precedings (and one a smaller/lower pwered bike) may never happen. Meaning you will never reach your full potential. Only a VERY few individuals can just jump up through the clsasses and continue to impress without hitting a wall (where they cant seem to improve)

I would also advise racing at a variaety of circuits also (and on a lower powered/easier to learn) type bike.
Not trying to "bag" you Steve B......... but just my humble opinion. As someone who also spends alot of time with the younger riders.

CHOPPA
1st November 2012, 12:17
Age, Goals, Budget are all deciding factors...

If your young, want to be world champion and have a huge budget id get a NSF250R

If you want to race the nationals and have a very limited budget - Pro light

If you just want to do club races but want to go faster than your 150 then - F3 on an RS250 or 400

DaveyJones
1st November 2012, 13:46
I think fro me at the moment it is best to stick to club level racing.
All the travelling and that of nationals would just be to expensive.

CHOPPA
1st November 2012, 16:14

Get a bike that you enjoy riding then, my pick would be that Aprilia RS250 seen you still ride it to work, it would be great on the race track, its not as old as the 400s they are easy to work on but need a bit more maintenance

budda
1st November 2012, 19:30

STEVE !!!!!!!! You forgot the part about the career path to World Domination via 125GP yahda yahda yahda .........
Racing is ( or SHOULD be ) about having fun - there are pearls of wisdom in most of the replies on here ( except one )
If its not affordble it very quickly loses any semblance of enjoyment - TRY a skid on a 250 proddy bike before you sink a sh1tload of YOUR hard-earned dollars into someone elses dream. Choppas suggestion has it merits too ...........

scracha
2nd November 2012, 05:31

SteveyB's option is good if you got the cash, want to progress FAST with coaching and just concentrate on racing. Maybe worth selling your bike to help fund it. I think you've got that talent level. Maybe Dr Bagshow will lease you one of his bikes for one round to try it out :eek:

Billy's offer for your circumstances may be more achievable for you. Travel costs in the NI rounds are reasonable. There's enough folks doing the rounds to split the gas with. You don't have to do the SI rounds.

If you just wanna bit of fun then I wouldn't recommend a track bike over 400cc as you'll just end up spending all your cash on tyres and brake pads. Factor in the other costs and hassles that other classes have such as spare rims, generators, garage fees and tyre-warmers.

Your next race bike should NOT be road legal. Maybe you should stick with your current bike for a wee while longer? Save your money for some sticker tyres, spares and travel costs to different club tracks. Eventally leading on to a bigger bike and a trailer.

RobGassit
2nd November 2012, 07:13
I've been waiting for someone to suggest he gets a bucket...but the purists on here would go mental..

Muzzab
2nd November 2012, 19:35
I've been waiting for someone to suggest he gets a bucket...but the purists on here would go mental..

LoL...good on you mate.....someone had to say it......I was having the same thought...having seen bucket guys carve up 150 street stocks and 250's through the infield at Ruapuna only to be passed on the straights and then deal to them again in the twisty bits next lap........

johin83
6th November 2012, 01:53
$ Budget Davey! do a spread sheet of costs to run the different bikes, and go with what works money wise for you best to get in as many more miles as you possibly can

Its good answer for your question , but there are so many alternatives, and other institution
for this to join them .........

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/133555-1-8th-Mile-Street-Drags?p=1130427947#post1130427947

RDjase
6th November 2012, 05:54
Obviously with the end of the Victoria Motorcycle Club winter series, I've be contemplating what to move on to next.
I raced the Vic series in Streetstock on a KRR150 and managed a close 2nd place in the championship, with it being my very first season racing I thought this was a pretty damn good achievement myself.
But with a few options of bigger and faster bikes, it hard to know what to move onto next.
I've been seriously considering F3 or superlites on a 250 two-stroke or a 400. As the bikes seem to be reasonably priced and would have some good competition within the class.
What are peoples thoughts and experiences with moving up classes?

Do the South Island rounds of the Nats on your KRR, lots of close racing to be had Dave. One Race at Levels had 1.5 seconds between 7 riders. Entrys are well priced for Development Class (SS150 with slicks? should have some used 125 slicks for you) and you will meet some great people and heaps of fun. Havn't got room to get your bike and you there but will have room in our pits, just like when you used my spare KR at Taupo Nats Final

I wouldnt have let Tyler go to a 125 without more experince and he definatly got it the SI Nat rounds this year

Rogan is going too, been some great racing between you two, and you did it on your road bike with BT45's...............:niceone: Spend some money on a selection of sprockets

FROSTY
8th November 2012, 08:01
OP--I'd say listen first to Billy.Get more track time on your current ride. Get on as many different tracks as you can.
I suspect you are going to be blown away (mentally)by the south island boys if the numbers have continued at the same level.
Basically finish a whole season not just one series on one track.

Shaun
8th November 2012, 12:17
OP--I'd say listen first to Billy.Get more track time on your current ride. Get on as many different tracks as you can.
I suspect you are going to be blown away (mentally)by the south island boys if the numbers have continued at the same level.
Basically finish a whole season not just one series on one track.

well said old boy