PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone S20 tyre review - 1500km

onearmedbandit
5th November 2012, 21:13
Just over 1500km ago, I was missing something from motorcycling. I was still enjoying it, but it wasn't inspiring. And then I found I had won a set of new Bridgestone S20r's in a competition on KB. My current hoops, Michelin Pure 2CT's, were in good nick still but I wasn't won over by them so welcomed the chance to try a different set. It was then that the inspiration returned, that motorcycling went back to what it meant to me, endless fun and a desire to never stop.

1500km later, I'm still having way too much fun on these tyres. The feedback from the front is fantastic, never feeling vague or muted. I can place the bike where I want at will yet they remain very stable and planted when on your chosen line. There is no 'tucking' sensation when getting these right over, instead they are very steady when changing direction, encouraging you with confidence to go that bit further with the feedback you're getting. Winding the throttle on as you exit the corner the rear hooks up well, giving nice clean drive no matter the speed. Though I feel they work better the harder you push them, that same confidence is evident when just taking it easy.

I've only ridden them in very wet conditions once so far, and as it was on the Akaroa Hill I feel that wasn't a very fair test on them, that particular stretch of road in the wet has some very slippery patches. As it was I had a couple of front tucks and rear slides, but I honestly feel that most tyres excluding wet weather race tyres would struggle in those conditions. Where the seal was good despite being very wet they performed well, but with the road as it was I wasn't pushing them.

They are retaining their profile well, but as I very rarely use hard throttle on the centre of my tyre on the road most of my rear tyres do the same. Wear over the face of the tyres is uniform, no scalloping etc going on. I've been riding with 34psi front and 36 rear and found this to be fine. On the last ride I bumped them both up 2psi (using the same pump as always) and found the change not entirely noticeable, but definitely not worse. So they don't seem to be too sensitive to pressure changes, however I will play around with them a bit more.

I've recommended the S20's to friends of mine, and I'd be happy to put another set on when I'm finished with these. They have made motorcycling fun for me again, when I'm out for a ride I have to remind myself why it's important to return home. 1500km ago I had to convince myself to go out for a ride.

500km review: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/152330-Bridgestone-S20-tyres-review-500km

onearmedbandit
14th November 2012, 12:20
This is the second time I've ran 38 psi in these tyres and the second time I've experienced high speed weave exiting corners. Nothing serious but I definitely did not notice this when running 36. I'm out on a ride now so I'll leave the pressures where they are as I'm not near my usual servo but I'll go back to 36 for the next ride.

Otherwise the only concerns these tyres give me are about my license.

onearmedbandit
16th November 2012, 19:19
Reading Drew's thread brought to my attention something I had noticed but had dismissed. The harder I push these tyres the less feel I get from them. Not enough to make me question my faith in them, they still feel stable and have got good grip but they don't push back as such.

onearmedbandit
26th November 2012, 14:18
Quote taken from Drew's thread.

OAB, maybe try 2psi less in the front and see if it feels better to you?

Jay

Went out today, dropped the front 2psi to 36. Massive difference thanks Jay, the feel returned and once again inspired mucho confidence in exploiting the grip available.

AllanB
26th November 2012, 21:25
These hoops are on special at Avon City Suzuki. As are the sport touring tyre from the same maker.

Bulk buy - you save.

JayRacer37
11th January 2013, 10:32
[/url]

Hey Fraser, how have you been getting on over summer so far? What kind of KM's are you up to now?

onearmedbandit
11th January 2013, 10:45
Hey Fraser, how have you been getting on over summer so far? What kind of KM's are you up to now?

Loving it. At about 4500km now so getting ready to do a 5000km review soon.

Dogboy900
11th January 2013, 17:17
Really appreciate this thread and the write up by Drew, its been enough to convince me to replace my front with an S20 next week.

Cheers Guys

Coldrider
13th January 2013, 20:11
My OEM S20 is done at 4200ks, have a BT023 on now. As I have no intention of track days for the near future a S20 replacement is pointless, but 2 South Island navigations are coming up, yum yum.