PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki DR 350 starting problems

Matz
6th November 2012, 14:43
Hey folks,

I have a problem with my DR. On last weekend I had a nice ride to Tauranga and back, everything was fine. When I wanted to start the bike after that (Monday morning) it was very hard to get her on. Only with a bit playing on the throttle it gets run. This morning the same problem. I only have this problem when the bike it completely cold.

Maybe something wrong with the carburetor?

Is somebody here who has experience with adjusting the carburetor? Who can maybe help me?

Thanks for help

F5 Dave
6th November 2012, 16:14
Well it could be a bit of crap in the pilot jet, or the choke isn't working. but the fact you say you rode a long distance makes me wonder if the valve clearances have closed up a bit which would make starting it hard. Do a google search, checking them on a single should be simplicity itself.

Matz
6th November 2012, 16:39
Thanks, that sounds good. Checking should not be a problem butI don't have a Garage or proper Tools. Maybe someone here who can help me out? I would come on weekend with a few beer.

FJRider
6th November 2012, 17:17
Thanks, that sounds good. Checking should not be a problem butI don't have a Garage or proper Tools. Maybe someone here who can help me out? I would come on weekend with a few beer.

Are you using a starter motor or kick start .. ???

Matz
6th November 2012, 17:36
Starter Motor

ducatilover
6th November 2012, 17:58
Where are you situated? (I think Nuremburg would be a bit far away for a weekend ride...)

I'd be going with clearances or excessive plug gap

FJRider
6th November 2012, 18:18
Starter Motor

I'm thinking ... if the battery is down in charge, or getting near the end of it's useful life ... it may not kick it over fast enough to get a good clean start.

If it's a 97 ... that means 15 years of of riders giving it the work that DR 350's get. If it is down a bit on compression too ... it may not help either.

To test this theory ...next cold start ... hook a GOOD set of jumper leads from a car onto it BEFORE you try to start it. if it starts with no issues ... problem found.

FJRider
6th November 2012, 18:20
Where are you situated? (I think Nuremburg would be a bit far away for a weekend ride...)

Has the ferry stopped running there now ... ??? :shifty:

Akzle
6th November 2012, 18:31
riding from germania to tauranga... it'll be water in the carbs :bleh:

Matz
6th November 2012, 18:59
:P I've forgotten to change it :P in Onehunga.... The battery is not the problem, the starter motor works normally

Akzle
6th November 2012, 19:18
:P I've forgotten to change it :P in Onehunga.... The battery is not the problem, the starter motor works normally

yeah nah it'll be a carb issue most likely. kick it with choke on until it coughs, then half/choke off and kick it till it runs. kick it from TDC.

for a more permanent solution, strip carbs, boil in petrol, blow out passages, (especially air pilot/idle circuit), set the flutterfly valve/bypass bizo properly, stick it back in and 'way ya go.

get a new plug and gap it right, too.

Akzle
6th November 2012, 19:26

you missed me last weekend. i might be down next month.
the only other useful cunt i knew in auckland fucked off overseas.

socket set at mitre10: 10$ (fucken ayye!!) (real ones, 90-200$) feeler gauges: what, 10$ at supercheap?, that's your valves and plug done.

i will definitely drink all of your beer.

also on your shopping list: brakeleen or similar (nvm the carb cleaner shit, it's nasty) and CRC66 (marine)

-edit- or come for a skid up norf! dont forget your A (aucklander) plate though.

Matz
6th November 2012, 19:30
I prefer the permanent solution, so maybe somebody around Auckland have a garage where I can do this stuff. I don't want to strip my bike on the street. When I'm not finding somebody here in Auckland, I will come up north ;-)

Ps. shopping list is done :)

ducatilover
6th November 2012, 19:37
you missed me last weekend. i might be down next month.
the only other useful cunt i knew in auckland fucked off overseas.

socket set at mitre10: 10$ (fucken ayye!!) (real ones, 90-200$) feeler gauges: what, 10$ at supercheap?, that's your valves and plug done.

i will definitely drink all of your beer.

also on your shopping list: brakeleen or similar (nvm the carb cleaner shit, it's nasty) and CRC66 (marine)

-edit- or come for a skid up norf! dont forget your A (aucklander) plate though.

All you need is a 10mm spanner, 8mm spanner, pliers (or a Suzuki valve adjustment tool, which happens to be the same as a #2 square drive screw head stuck in to a cork or cut off bit of broom handle, pliers will work too, but a bit rangi) and feeler guages, 5 to 20 thou will cover it (I think the 350 was 13 and 8 thou +/-3 for clearances) a 17mm spanner for the timing mark sight plug and a 22 (memory again) socket for turning the crank (or centre stand, put in gear and bump it around)

Matz
7th November 2012, 07:29
All you need is a 10mm spanner, 8mm spanner, pliers (or a Suzuki valve adjustment tool, which happens to be the same as a #2 square drive screw head stuck in to a cork or cut off bit of broom handle, pliers will work too, but a bit rangi) and feeler guages, 5 to 20 thou will cover it (I think the 350 was 13 and 8 thou +/-3 for clearances) a 17mm spanner for the timing mark sight plug and a 22 (memory again) socket for turning the crank (or centre stand, put in gear and bump it around)

Sounds not to difficult. I will try it on the weekende. Thanks to all

ducatilover
7th November 2012, 09:26
Try dowload a manual for it, it'll explain it all. It's a fairly easy job on them :2thumbsup

Akzle
7th November 2012, 16:48
http://kat.ph/suzuki-dr350-repair-manual-t215392.html

Matz
7th November 2012, 18:18
http://kat.ph/suzuki-dr350-repair-manual-t215392.html

Thanks for that

But I don't think that the valves are the problem, I had a look an the spark today and it is grey/ white (normally brown) . So think something in the carburetor is wrong. I will try different things on weekend when I have more time.

ducatilover
7th November 2012, 21:04
If it's lean, check the float and also for air leaks :yes: tight clearances can make it run hotter though

Matz
13th November 2012, 17:53
@ all it's definitely the carburetor... Probably is the floater to high or the adjustment is wrong (vibrations)

Has someone experience with the floater and the idle of a DR350?

Thanks Matz

Akzle
13th November 2012, 19:13
14mm
. .

Matz
13th November 2012, 19:50
The swimmers distance should be between 13,2 and 15,2 mm but I don't want to strip my whole bike on the street. So maybe someone with tools and a small garage has time to help me out. If the person know something about the DR its even better.

Akzle
14th November 2012, 05:27
I don't want to strip my whole bike on the street.

get that bad boy up on the kitchen table!

Matz
14th November 2012, 07:11
get that bad boy up on the kitchen table!

Not a bad idea, but my flat mates kill me :D