PDA

View Full Version : Basic Handling Skills on TM - $42 so far...

SPORK
9th August 2005, 20:39
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Other/auction-32937052.htm

For any newbie bikers that need to do it (like me:oi-grr:, but it's in d'Auckland) this is perfect. Includes free bike hireage. :Punk:

Bloody aucklanders...:whistle:

bondagebunny
9th August 2005, 20:52
and visited the website
Tution 1 hour.Test takes 1/2 hour,

Usual cost is 59.00 but beware - the website says if you dont pass you will be charged extra for tuition.

There is also a question on the website "" is this suitable for people who have never sat on a bike before"
Answer yes - Now if you can learn to ride a bike in one hour to pass a test
from never having sat on it - I dont think so, I smell extra tuition fees in the small print.

Gremlin
9th August 2005, 21:01
$59 is extremely cheap, but I'm with bondage bunny. John Wright was 3 hours, and I felt that was good. 1 hour is not enough in my opinion for a total learner.

John
9th August 2005, 21:12
withdrawn. I pay'ed 40$ for my handling thingy mambobie - including bike, ratty ole CB's :clap:

Lee Rusty
9th August 2005, 21:20
or have some experiance I charge $50 per BST test with bike provided no charge - which is probably the cheapest around Auckland. I give tuition to smooth out the rough edges - you also get a practice on the bike, before the test.

But to teach someone from never having been on bike at all - to get up to BST standard and be confident takes around 3 - 4 hours.

For that teaching - bike, helmet, gloves provided I charge $25 per hour plus the $50 for the test. SO three hours + test $125 - 4 hours + test $150.

That may be of use to some newbies, you can contact me on 021 NEW RIDER
021 639743

I guess you pays your money and you takes your chances.

SPORK
9th August 2005, 22:12
Ok, fuck it. I may not have a bike for a little while, but I want my learners.

Where's the best and cheapest place around Wellington to get your BHS? Any details/info would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Drum
10th August 2005, 17:03
Have a look at the Roadsafe (Wellington) thread.

DemonWolf
10th August 2005, 21:49
hmmm.. the LTSA state 'If you successfully complete an approved course,.....You must present the course certificate to the driver licensing agent when you book the practical test' but they dont list what the approved course is! Found a couple sites that have a Defensive Drive Course (GDLS version) and a CBTA course (mainland chch), the CBTA course ya dont need to take a LTSA test to get restricted -> Full license (doesn't stake any time periods either)

Ninja
11th August 2005, 13:00
Hi Guys,

I am the offending poster of the BHS on trademe a couple of days ago. Needless to say I was a bit disappointed when they pulled the plug on the auction as it meant someone lost that particular opportunity to get on the biking ladder. I guess I should have read the fine print about advertising services :(

Regarding pricing etc.. I charge $59 for the TEST ONLY option. This is designed for people who feel they are already experienced enough to just arrive and sit the 6 prescribed tasks for BHS. In my experience, there are plenty of people out there riding without licences who can do just that.

For those who need training, I offer a different option at $99 with 1 hours training followed by the test. I do state quite clearly in the FAQ's that if you don't make the test standard on this course I will book you in for a later session FREE OF CHARGE to help you build your skill level.

Riders take these courses with varying degrees of confidence and experience, and given the right frame of mind a complete novice can achieve the LTNZ standard within an hour. Some people do take a little longer which is why I provide the extended coaching at no extra cost.

I would agree with lee that to really build your confidence and become proficient on a motorcycle takes a bit more time. With that in mind I offer a confidence building course which will help to develop road skills as well as putting the basic handling skills to practical use.

As for Bondage bunny...I fear you haven't read the small print right. Riders will only be charged a REDUCED fee for tuition if they selected the 'test only' option and then fail to meet the standard and require training to reach the level of competence laid down by the LTNZ.

Keep an open mind guys, and give us a try.

Safe Biking

Ninja
http://www.RiderSkills.co.nz

SPORK
11th August 2005, 13:08
Hey Ninja, no worries. Your deal sounds just what I'm looking for, but alas, you're in Auckland.

Would you know of any places in Wellington that do similar No-Frills GetTheBlimmin'Certificate deals? If so, could you tell us (me) ?

Cheers! :wari:

Ninja
11th August 2005, 13:36
Not too familiar with wellington, but I know Roadsafe (Andrew and Lynne Templeton) do a BHS course. I found them very helpful when I was trying to find out about instructor certification.

Even though they don't advertise a 'test only' option on the website, it might be worth your while just giving them a ring and telling them what you are after. They may be flexible enough to help you out.

Telephone:

Office: +64 4 232 0110
Cell phone: +64 27 245 9510

Good luck