PDA

View Full Version : Some old photos

SPman
6th November 2012, 23:57
Found these negatives scratching around in the bottom of a box. I can identify a couple, but there's a couple that need confirmation. They are rather scratched and tattered, but........
Pukekohe 1975? I've got a photo of Ginger Molloy on the Aermacchi (Harley) and Crosby on his H1R at the same meeting.

272828 272829

looks like Trevor Discombe and, I think Eric Bone

Rod Dunshea on the Egli Vincent ???? - Hugh Anderson ???

jellywrestler
7th November 2012, 06:07
looks very much like rod dunshea and on the same bike he crashed and broke his leg on at hampton downs a couple of weeks ago

Bender
7th November 2012, 08:09
Yep, Trevor Discombe top left. I don't think it's Eric Bone on the Kwakka, looks too small and not quite the right riding position. Looks more like Wayne List to me.

Banditbandit
7th November 2012, 09:13
The bottom two look like MacIntosh bikes .. Possibly Hugh Anderson on the MacIntosh Vincent .. dunno the other ..

And the track looks more like an early Manfield or possibly Ruapun ... the road and powerlines in the last shot look too close to be Pukekohe ..

gammaguy
7th November 2012, 12:57
Love the excellent run off areas and air fences.......

SPman
7th November 2012, 13:05
The bottom two look like MacIntosh bikes .. Possibly Hugh Anderson on the MacIntosh Vincent .. dunno the other ..

And the track looks more like an early Manfield or possibly Ruapun ... the road and powerlines in the last shot look too close to be Pukekohe ..

Pukekohe - up by Railway corner (as it was called then). They put the fences up to stop people standing on the railway lines to watch the racing....free. Definitely Rod Dunshea on the Auckland Motorcycles Egli Vincent, I know Hugh Anderson was riding at that meeting - I'm sure it was on the Manx Norton.

Eric Bone on the Kwaka, because the leathers look like the same ones he still wears today - on probably, the same bike - I must dig out some more recent photo's as a comparison. Although - I could be wrong (and often am.....)

SPman
8th November 2012, 01:20
Eric, Paeroa 2006 - look like the same leathers.......

jellywrestler
8th November 2012, 05:57
The bottom two look like MacIntosh bikes
A it's spelt McIntosh
B Ken McIntosh would've still been teething when these were taken

98tls
8th November 2012, 06:13
No idea whos who but great pics.:niceone:

Banditbandit
8th November 2012, 08:43
A it's spelt McIntosh
B Ken McIntosh would've still been teething when these were taken

Yeah .. my sense of time is fucked .. the 70s are somewhere on the other side of that drug haze ... Fuck me - it was 37 years ago ... I spent most of that year working for the Railways in Palmerston North I think... (or maybe it was the ice cream factory, or Fletchers Steel ... )

Madmax
8th November 2012, 12:48
the kawasaki tripple is an S 2/3

GD66
11th March 2020, 01:06
That'll be Martyn Aiken then ;)

speedpro
12th March 2020, 07:23
I remember piling into the sweeper at Baypark on my GSX1100. I could hear a bike behind me so was putting in a bit of effort and dragged the pipes most of the way around. On the exit Trevor blasted past on the TZ. That was a big lesson on exiting corners.

sidecar bob
12th March 2020, 07:51
I remember piling into the sweeper at Baypark on my GSX1100. I could hear a bike behind me so was putting in a bit of effort and dragged the pipes most of the way around. On the exit Trevor blasted past on the TZ. That was a big lesson on exiting corners.

That's because you made it a constant radius corner.
The trick there was to blast in under brakes run wide & turn it around mid corner & straight line-ish the exit, so by the time you got to the straight you were going 10km faster than those that dragged the pipes all the way around.
Robbe Dean taught me that.
There were a few other tricks with what seemed a very simple track.

TheDemonLord
12th March 2020, 08:58
That's because you made it a constant radius corner.
The trick there was to blast in under brakes run wide & turn it around mid corner & straight line-ish the exit, so by the time you got to the straight you were going 10km faster than those that dragged the pipes all the way around.
Robbe Dean taught me that.
There were a few other tricks with what seemed a very simple track.

The Parabolica F1 line.

sidecar bob
12th March 2020, 09:25
The Parabolica F1 line.

It did cross my mind to use parabolic in my post, then I though, its KB, I don't have time to spend the rest of the day explaining.

jellywrestler
12th March 2020, 15:30
It did cross my mind to use parabolic in my post, then I though, its KB, I don't have time to spend the rest of the day explaining.

baypark was a cunt, all the corners were constant radius and frustrated the fuck out of the riders...., did robbie deans ever take the same line twice?

sidecar bob
12th March 2020, 16:06
baypark was a cunt, all the corners were constant radius and frustrated the fuck out of the riders...., did robbie deans ever take the same line twice?

I don't think Robbie Deans ever rode Baypark, he was always too busy being a top level rugby coach, Robbie Dean on the other hand. . . .:msn-wink:

jellywrestler
12th March 2020, 17:34
I don't think Robbie Deans ever rode Baypark, he was always too busy being a top level rugby coach, Robbie Dean on the other hand. . . .:msn-wink:

oops, fucking little phone screens. i remember being in the awahuri pub 1985ish and my tradesmam was talking to Robbie, he said he takes a different line every time so no-one knows where to pass him. they didn't call him Rubber Dean for nothing

sidecar bob
12th March 2020, 19:41
oops, fucking little phone screens. i remember being in the awahuri pub 1985ish and my tradesmam was talking to Robbie, he said he takes a different line every time so no-one knows where to pass him. they didn't call him Rubber Dean for nothing

He also advised that if you pass someone & make it look like you have messed it up & are going down, they back of to avoid the ensuing melee & you ride off into the sunset.