PDA

View Full Version : 1990 GSX-R250 - Replacing forks?

KiwiBiker87
7th November 2012, 13:08
Hi Guys!

Looking to replace the fork seals on our 1990 GSXR 250 as it didn't pass its WOF :mad:

SO anyway, we have the new forks but just have a couple of questions if you could please help..! :)

We have the 10wt oil as advised but need to knwo how much quantity of oil in each fork, and the torque settings for the triple clamps..

Help appreciated :)

Thanks,
Em x

ducatilover
7th November 2012, 15:12
I'd be asking your local bike dealer or a Suzuki agent :2thumbsup

Akzle
7th November 2012, 16:39
it'll be in the bible you bought when you got the bike.

if you didn't, go get one. should have "haines" on the front.

GSF
7th November 2012, 18:21
it'll be in the bible you bought when you got the bike.

if you didn't, go get one. should have "haines" on the front.

I wouldn't be surprised if the GSXR 250s suffer from the same JDM syndrome my Bandit does, in that being a grey-market import there's little to none in the way of English documentation.
Over the last few years I would've actually murdered someone on a couple of occasions for a Bandit 250 Haynes manual.

ktm84mxc
9th November 2012, 07:09
There's no such Haynes manual for a Bandit 250/400 as they were never sold in the UK , I'd be checking with your local Suzuki dealer for similar 250 model forks the Across springs to mind as these were sold here new.
A guess it'll hold around 400mls per fork.

ducatilover
9th November 2012, 07:51
There's no such Haynes manual for a Bandit 250/400 as they were never sold in the UK , I'd be checking with your local Suzuki dealer for similar 250 model forks the Across springs to mind as these were sold here new.
A guess it'll hold around 400mls per fork.

There is an English Bandit 250 manual floating around somewhere, I know a chap with one

ktm84mxc
9th November 2012, 08:47
Would that be a owners manual printed in English or trans scribed into English, a Haynes would be described as a workshop/owners manual giving a far more info on the bike including rebuilding and replacing various components/parts.

neels
9th November 2012, 09:30
I have scruffy pdf's of the GSXR250 owners manual and GSX250F service manual if you want them.

According to the 250F manual the forks take 401ml each leg, not sure if they're the same as the GSXR ones.

imdying
9th November 2012, 10:19
The RGV250 manual might be worth a look... the VJ21 forks look pretty similar FWIW :)

KiwiBiker87
9th November 2012, 11:28
Alright so just spoke to HoleShot and got the following info:

Should be 10wt oil

Fork oil level should be fully compressed with spring out, and level is 100ml from the top.

The forque settings for triple clamps should be 25 newton meters, for anyones future reference ;)

GSF
9th November 2012, 12:46
There is an English Bandit 250 manual floating around somewhere, I know a chap with one

Do you reckon he would be willing to make a scan of it? I know a fair few Bandit 250 owners online who would really appreciate it.

I don't really need one anymore but I would be curious to see it, I had heard mythical legends about the GJ74A Bandit manual in English, supposedly they were sold new by Suzuki in Aussie for only one or two years in the early 90s or somesuch which is where the English docs came from.

ducatilover
23rd November 2012, 12:35
Do you reckon he would be willing to make a scan of it? I know a fair few Bandit 250 owners online who would really appreciate it.

I don't really need one anymore but I would be curious to see it, I had heard mythical legends about the GJ74A Bandit manual in English, supposedly they were sold new by Suzuki in Aussie for only one or two years in the early 90s or somesuch which is where the English docs came from.
I'll ask him when I'm back down that way :D